4/25/24 LR: "Ten Years After"

Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:58 pm

Happy Thursday (the new Friday)!

lunch today was brussel sprouts, meatballs, broccoli cheese soup and some salad, cafeteria style.

i noticed while looking at the posts that it's been 10 years since i started hanging around here.
Alot has happened since then. In 2014, Obama was in his second term, corona was a beer not a virus, the Eagles hadn't yet won a super bowl (and many fans thought they probably never would), i had 2 kids in college at the same time and was uncertain if the money tree would be blooming that spring.
Luckily it did and I ordered a G&L Tribute Legacy "scratch and dent" online. There were no scratches or dents but it had a neck bow which was easily fixed with some truss rod tweaking. It turned out to be a heck of a nice gtr, I loved the bridge/tailpiece (always hated the 6 screw bridge/tailpiece i'd had on a couple of strats), was intrigued by the PTB circuit, and loved the CLF-100 p'ups, they sounded so nice. A few months later I picked up a tribute ASAT special with the mahogany body/sunburst/rw board and a pair of those large coil mfd p'ups. that was it, i was hooked, the disease (G&L acquisition syndrome) started. It has been a fun ride. I've worked my way through a bunch of G&L's, old and new, sold some, gave a couple to my kids, kept the ones I really liked. It's a nice variety of high quality instruments that get the sound i was always looking for and are professional quality, unique, a pleasure to play.
Q#1: what's your story, how did you find your way to G&L guitars? do you like old, new or both?

i saw today that the last original musician member of the Moody Blues has passed, may he/they RIP. seems this kind of thing happens alot these days. That band reminds me of the late '60's, early '70's when i was 1st opening my ears and eyes to great music. It was such a great time for that. I have countless musical influences but the Beatles really stoked up that fire for me, early on. Both my parents and both my brothers were musicians and we were always listening to or playing music in my house. For some reason, my mom waited til about 1970, when I was 10, to start bringing home Beatles LP's, one at a time, and in the order they were recorded. She bought the capitol versions so I digested those, and requested more. I started learning guitar in Summer 1974, coming up on 50 years, now.
Q#2: what were your early musical influences that ultimately led you to pick up a guitar?

Q#3: if you were recruited to be on the mission to Mars, and could only take 1 G&L guitar with you to pass the time, which one would it be and why?
I think my choice would be my most recent, the ASAT Classic S (mine's a 2017, alder/old school tobacco burst/bound top/body bevel/maple board). I have always liked T style guitars for reasons that are not always clear to me, but probably shape, feel, simplicity, tone, and that one is an amazing instrument in alot of ways, was a lucky find.

The Today show headlines this morning talked about war in Gaza, hostages, famine, global warming, shootings, fires, drug overdoses, Trump...
Doesn't sound far off from where we were in early 1970's with war in Viet Nam, famine, the gasoline shortage and rationing, shootings, fires, drugs, Nixon and Watergate. After 50 years, seems like we are not doing too much better. I like Extreme's quote from their song on Three Sides to every Story (1993),
"Make love, not war......................or else our world will truly rest in peace."
Q#4: got a quote or saying from the past or present that you'd like to share?
Last edited by john o on Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: 4/25/24 LR: "Ten Years After"

Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:19 am

Q1: Found my way to G&L during the height of the Covid pandemic. Thought it was time I actually learned to play guitar rather then flail around. I love blues so naturally I wanted to have a good blues guitar. Found a used G&L Tribute semi-hollow Bluesboy and got hooked.

Q2: Early influence that lead me to guitar would be listening to my dad's albums by Chet Atkins, Merle Haggard and seeing Glen Campbell on the Smother's Brothers show. Of course my own immersion into BB King and the Allman Brothers Band just added fuel to the fire.

Q3: I would taker my most versatile guitar to mars. My G&L V12.

Quote to live by;
Jimi Hendrix from if 6 was 9. "I'm the one that's gonna die when its time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to."

Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:42 am

My parents bought me my first guitar, a cheaply made, almost unplayable acoustic guitar back around 1962. For many years I did not really progressed in my guitar playing as I was just trying to figure things out on my own. In spite of that I had accumulated a few guitars by about 1988.

It was at that time that I stumbled onto the original GuitarsByLeo discussion group and discovered the background of G&L. Then came the idea from the group to commission a Limited Edition guitar. That's how I came to be the owner of GbL LE #22, my first G&L guitar.

Since then I have learned more about guitar music theory and worked on being a more capable player. I have since added a 1990 SC-3, a 2003 L-2000 bass, and a 2016 Tribute Fallout; but I have also disposed of several other guitars. For about three years prior to COVID I was guitar player in a hobby band that got paid playing gigs. It was a lot of fun, but it came to an end with COVID. Now I just play for the enjoyment of playing, learning songs that I like, and making home recordings occasionally.

One of my favorite song quotes:
"And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make."

Kit

Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:38 am

Thanks for this Lunch Report John! Great topics!

I didn't see this yesterday, so I'll tell you what I am having for lunch today: Nuffim. My lunch is sitting in the fridge at home where I forgot it. So I'm going to eat it for supper when I get home. I'm slugging back cold instant Nescafe coffee. It's not as bad as it sounds.

Q#1: what's your story, how did you find your way to G&L guitars? do you like old, new or both?
My first guitar was a 72 Les Paul Deluxe. It was 1986. I sold the guitar to buy an 88' Strat Plus in 1990. After a few years I realized that I shouldn't have, so I began looking for another Les Paul. What I found was an ebon Heritage H150 that knocked my socks off. I hadn't heard of Heritage guitars, but after playing this one and loving it, I did some research, which prompted me to buy it ASAP. It was during this research that I discovered that G&L guitars were more "Fender" that post CBS Fender guitars. Still reeling from how I had initially thumbed my nose at a Heritage Les Paul, only to discover that it was not just as good as, but better than any les Paul I have played before or since. If I could be that wrong about Heritage guitars, then I was probably just as wrong about G&L guitars. From that moment on I was looking to pick up or try out a G&L guitar. I finally picked up a Legacy - it sounded nice, but didn't have the original p'ups, or wiring, and had some serious problems with the neck. So I sold it. I then found a Tribute Comanche on eBay, and liked that a lot - but I started pining for a tele, and one day I saw a blueburst Tribute ASAT Special on sale half price on Amazon. I'd watched a bunch or reviews, and really wanted one so I bit the bullet. I simply could not believe how awesome it sounded through my amp. It was a tone machine. I've since bought a 2000' hollow bodies ASAT Special that sounds even better than the Tribute (which I would have said was impossible had anyone asked). So I was officially hooked from that moment on. Old or New? I don't if a guitar is old or new - I care about how it plays, sounds, and looks (in that order).

Q#2: what were your early musical influences that ultimately led you to pick up a guitar?
My parents were into the sock-hop music of their day. My mom loved Elvis, and country, and my dad liked older music and Rock and roll. I picked a lot of that up, but it was bands like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd that I wanted to emulate when I first started playing. But it was actually the drummer in my first band who turned me on to Blues music. I shifted to old time blues (Chess Record stuff), then electric blues, and loved (and still love) guys like Albert King, Buddy Guy, Gary Moore, Johnny Lee Hooker, and of course Stevie Ray Vaughan - whom I would list, along with Hendrix, as my two primary influences.

Q#3: if you were recruited to be on the mission to Mars, and could only take 1 G&L guitar with you to pass the time, which one would it be and why? I'd take my ASAT Special. It plays like a dream, and sounds like heaven. I'd probably die on mars, so I'd want that one buried with me.

Time is an ocean but it ends at the shore. You may not see me tomorrow. - Bob Dylan (Oh Sister).

Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:42 pm

Looks like I'm late to the game as well... Work keeps getting in the way of my fun.

Long time Fender and Tele fan so when I saw G&L in the music rags I kinda thought maybe this will be good. Didn't see anything until around 1983 at a local shop in very small town Indiana. SC-2 I believe. Thought was cool but not a Tele shape but I liked the way it felt and sounded. Come 1987 when on a vacation in San Fran I came across an ASAT and thought this is it! Didn't get my first until 1992, ASAT Classic Signature, but has been non-stop since then. I like em' all. :alright:

A tawdry tale that went from a Beatle record and cousin who had a Strat and a Champ amp at a VERY young age, to a baby sitter who played an acoustic for me, to Buck Owens on Hee Haw, The Who (good ol' Pete), and a guitar greats 8 track with Jimi, Jeff, Lesley, Randy California and 1 other I can't recall. All which lead to a Kay acoustic followed by a Fender Musicmaster bought with lawn mowing money.

Q#3: if you were recruited to be on the mission to Mars, and could only take 1 G&L guitar with you to pass the time, which one would it be and why?
Just for versatility I'd choose the Comanche Studio VI, followed by either a Will Ray Signature or 1988 ASAT.

Lately it occurs to me / What a long strange trip it's been. ;)

Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:21 am

Thx guys,

Sam, long strange trip indeed! you and I both started on a Kay acoustic. my mom had a small one from the 60's. My 1st electric was a Hagstrom, also 60's, and it came with a small Kay amp, SS, 8 inch speaker, 3 input jacks. wish i still had the amp!

Dan, we share a love of the blues. Lately I've been dipping back to some really old stuff, late '20's, Tommy Johnson (no relation to Robert) and Charley Patten, but I love alot of the '50's/'60's stuff as well, Jimmy Reed, BBK, Freddy King, Muddy Waters, Howling Wolf, Hound Dog Taylor, early Peter Green...

Kit, I've seen pics of Craig's LE and it looks fabulous. ? mahogany. 3 pickup. I'm sure there are some great tones coming from that one.

SUaPYG, I've been reading Daniel DeVise' Biography of BB King (well done and also a well researched history of blues from the beginnings) and I recently checked out BB's "live at the Regal" from '64, described as one of his finest raw performances. Unfortunately, Hendrix' words were prophetic.