Tuesday Lunch Report from Gretna, Nebraska

Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:58 am

Thank you, to everyone for your posts yesterday. Due to traveling and going to the races I didn't have time to reply.

Last nights race was cut short by rain which has been plentiful here in the midwest this summer. There was also a long delay for a bad crash and seriously injured driver.

Lunch: Today I'll be heading home and lunch will be somewhere between here and home.

Guitars: I'm getting burned out on working on cars for a living. I've thought about opening a music store. If you were to open a store and could only start with five guitar brands what would they be? Keep in mind that you need acoustic guitars, electric guitars and basses to be a complete store.

Sprinter 92

Re: Tuesday Lunch Report from Gretna, Nebraska

Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:25 am

Hope the driver is okay.

Brands eh, well that is tricky seeing as the ones I typically play are not store available. I guess I might have to carry G&Ls, but then again maybe not, seeing as from a business standard you would likely move fenders a lot easier, and they make acoustics. IF it was at all possible, Carvins would magically be in the store, unfortunately it is not, more for me I guess. You see a lot of Epi's moving, especially in the younger crowds, same goes for deans, so I might keep them around just for rotating stock. Lastly some nice well known acoustics, maybe Martins, mostly as I figure the fender will have some low end acoustics, but more mature players looking for a real acoustic, will shell out for it.
So there it is
Fender
Epi
Dean
Martin
and maybe G&L

The tricky part here is looking from a business perspective. I do not particularly like fender, except for their basses, while they are not a be all and end all for me, definitely can't bash em. I guess the big problem is the brands I really like aren't popular, so stocking them seems counter intuitive. I guess I can't think of a music store as a work of passion, other than a work of economics. Blame it on the engineer.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:40 am

I wish your friend the best. Friendships hold their value better than guitars...

A music store. My example is American Guitar & Band in Minneapolis (Maple Grove). They used to have a boutique shop in St. Paul named American Guitar Boutique. Now it is gone. Also Guitar Ctr moved down the street and Best Buy has a music/instrument shop at the Maple Grove location!!!

The shops that make it get involved with the community. Offer lessons, have a room set aside for recitals, work with the schools, sponsor events, pianos too maybe. If it's all about price, then you must add value to the services provided.
Last edited by replyman on Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:33 am

I really like Replyman's suggestions with regard to your shop's involvement with the community, recitals, lessons. I'd also try to organize jams with students and musicians of all levels.

Regarding brands to stock, I have a different idea. I wouldn't stock any "new" guitars. Rather, I'd scour eBay, Craigslist, swap meets, pawn shops, etc. for great deals on a variety quality used instruments, always with an eye toward new and worthy aqusitions. Then I'd use this inventory to sell, trade, rent to students, etc. Hmmmm.... - ed

Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:00 am

Hey Sprinter, I know someone who would probably be willing to sell you his store most days. Not only would you get the store but the Dead Beat Club that hangs around on Saturdays.

Problem with most stores is that their bread and butter ain't necessarily the good stuff but the el cheapo starter kit kinda things. So you would need to stock plenty of Hohners, Johnsons, Rogues or their counterpart as well as the more expensive gear. If you marry real well or hit the lottery you might be able to become an authorized Gibson dealer.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:37 pm

New shops are a tough nut these days but still doable, and some good suggestions already on the wished for shop.

Starting with five guitar brands what would they be?
Considering price points, market share and breadth of product offering from manufacturer, then pillaging area craigslist, pawns, garage sales and friends closets for super deals my choices are these:

G&L - USA and Trib
Fender - USA, imports, and amps
Peavey - USA, imports, and amps
Ibanez
Dean or Schecter
Martin if I can squeeze in room for another acoustic!

Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:25 am

Would be nice to open a guitar store--then I'd have a place to store all my gear! LOL!

I would carry Ibanez. They do enough budget instruments and an acoustic line as well as their electrics--but they also have some upscale instruments that give Gibson a run for the money.

Ditto for Fender. It would be hard not to carry them, not only for guitars, but for the amps, acoustics, strings and accessories. I'd like to carry some Custom Shop instruments.

Now that Taylor offers an electric guitar, again it would be hard not to carry Taylor. Their acoustic-electrics are really popular. But I'd also like to carry a full line of Martin guitars, especially some of the upper end.

I would be nice to carry one of the smaller niche builder like Hamer, Heritage or G&L; but in the end it might be prudent prudent to carry Epiphone.

Bill