Monday Lunch Report From Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:10 am

I'll start off with an introduction for the newer forum members who may not know me. My name is Steve and I live in the northwest corner of Missouri. I'm an automotive technician (aka: mechanic) at a Chevrolet dealership. My hobbies are sprint car racing, ATV's, and guitar. I've been a crew member with a racing team for 20 years.

I'm on vacation for a couple of days and I'm following the ASCS Sprint Bandits tour this week. Yesterday I made the 5 hour drive to Sioux Falls and attended the race at Rapid Speedway in Rock Rapids, Iowa. Today, I'm headed to Greenwood, Nebraska.

Guitars: Fender's 50's era custom colors were automotive colors. Are there any modern automotive colors that you would like to see on a G&L?

Sprinter 92

Sprint car photos:

Re: Monday Lunch Report From Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:01 am

As far as car paints I like on guitars, CAR has to be a favourite. I am also quite partial to silver metallic. I prefer large metal flake guitars, mostly due to how they play with light though. And generally I choose trans colours, as I love the look of wood more than anything. So in short, G&L already offers the 'car' colours that I like, maybe a little of an orangier copper metallic would be cool?
(Freaking spell check and underlining all my words with 'extra' u's in em.)

Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:55 am

Nice ride! The ASCS Gulf South Regional is coming up. I may go this weekend to the Golden Triangle Raceway Park.

Colors: I want an indigo sparkle. That deep color with big crunchy sparkles would be nice...

Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:08 am

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any modern car colors I'd like to see on guitars. I would, however, like to see more modern cars adopt those old school colors!

Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:14 am

Hey Sprinter,

You still plugging into that Rivera Venus amp?

When i think of colors on classic American cars I do not think as much of candy apple red which first showed up around 1963 but rather the white 1970 Challenger in the movie Vanishing Point. Notr sure I want a deep purple metallic color on my car or guitar. I guess I am just boring.

And while I love Daphne Blue on a Strat - not so sure I would paint my '51 Chevy 1/2 ton that color.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:34 am

I got a new ride a couple of months ago and would love to have a Comanche in this finish:

It's Jetstream Blue Metallic.

Hey Dave, what do you say? Any chance? ;)

Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:12 pm

Sprinter 92, a nice Blue on the two car pictures. There were some great car colors form the 50's. A Caddy Green Gretsch Coutry Club is about as good as it gets for a metallic. It would be a great color for an alder Legacy with a Natural binding. It would look nice along side my CAR Legacy. There were many shades of solid reds that were great. Beautiful ride that you have there Craig. What would life have been like if you had owned that when you were 20???? I see many Corvettes around here, most of them driven by gents younger than I, but certainly not in their 20s. Could it be related to cash on hand? - Darwin :happy0065:

Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:58 pm

The CAR that G&L uses doesn't look right to me, and I can't put my finger on why. I know I like CAR shot on a gold base rather than a silver base and maybe that's it. I'm much more intrigued by the new Ruby Red color.

I have several G&Ls in non-burst colors: Belair Green, Fullerton Red, LPB, Gold Metallic, Silver Metallic, Vintage White, and Baby Blue; but no Flakes or Swirls.

There is a color I've seen on a Mercedes a while back. Hard to say what color it was, sometimes looking burgundy, or purple, or black. Very interesting paint, for sure.

And a friend of mine had a black Jackson with a "Holo-Flake" finish. Very 3-D, and the colors would change from red, green, gold, silver and blue as the light caught it from different angles. Very cool.

And I would love to have a Deep Purple Metallic guitar!! GOT Maple neck and gold hardware with white plastic.....oh, yeah! University of Washington colors--purple and gold!

Go Huskies!

Bill

Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:37 pm

Boogie Bill wrote:The CAR that G&L uses doesn't look right to me, and I can't put my finger on why. I know I like CAR shot on a gold base rather than a silver base and maybe that's it. I'm much more intrigued by the new Ruby Red color.

Bill

A guy on the Carvin forum recently shot a kit with CAR, shoreline gold base. I didn't realize G&L didn't use a gold base (then again I have never looked, finding good pics can be tricky).

Those holo-flake/prismatic flake finishes are pretty hot stuff indeed.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:28 pm

Hey Sprinter,

Sioux Falls... had my introduction to South Dakota last summer, incredible place, way beautiful. Especially if you get to see some racing! :happy0065:

Are there any modern automotive colors that you would like to see on a G&L?
Can't think of any of top of head, 'cept maybe Shoreline gold. I have a CAR Z3 that I like alot, and missed a triple bound Belair green Z3 a few years back that I thought was a looker.

Nice pics as usual, thanks.