Open Mic Lunch Report - Friday, 08/13

Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:06 pm

Lunch today will consist of pan fried zucchini made up like an 'parm sandwich. My garden in Minneapolis is booming! Just in time for the State Fair. I won't enter anything this year, but still going...

Topic: Mod's. What do you think of the "stock" offerings from G&L, other than all things MFD? I have a Legacy that is made beautifully. Just think the sound isn't where I want it. So I'm replacing the pickups and doing whatever wiring mods, if needed.

Anyone else? My MFD guitars are forever stock, btw.

Thanks and have a great weekend!

Re: Open Mic Lunch Report - Friday, 08/13

Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:43 pm

Mods are not something I foresee on my G&L. I don't go looking for 'that sound' or 'this sound' to much extent, I get the, I like how that guitar sounds, but I will buy that guitar then, not another and expect it to sound the same. I mostly buy guitars on feel. The only axe I am considering changing a pickup in is my Blue DC135 (carvin) as I I find the M22SD in the bridge quite lacking for clean (does fine distorted, too thin otherwise).

I think it is rare a quality made electric guitar does not have usable tones. The trick is accepting them, and using them for what they are good at. That is where they really start to shine.

Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:48 pm

Good point. I bought the Legacy used and used it was. It needs work and the pickups aren't original.

Thanks.

Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:16 pm

replyman wrote:Good point. I bought the Legacy used and used it was. It needs work and the pickups aren't original.

Thanks.

Not saying I am right (although I prefer to believe it) but that has always been my buying philsophy. My first experience with G&L was asking to play a classic after I bought an engagement ring. Fortunately I had just bought a ring, otherwise that guitar was leaving with me. When asked if I wanted to plug in I told them no. After about 30 seconds when the neck became familiar, I was in heaven. ASAIK it was a standard ASAT classic neck too, and I hate tight radii. This is generally the first step in a guitar for me, if I can't enjoy how it feels, I will never bond with it. Everything after that is gravy and discovery. I may need to get an EQ pedal though for the second guitar, just so I can not have to constantly play with the amp (Mark V, or get up for that matter). I see myself using mostly the Tweed and maybe crunch when I get the special, not so much the high gain channel.

Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:03 pm

I am just deciding whether or not to return it to "stock". Otherwise I'll probably add locking tuners.

Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:39 pm

replyman wrote:Otherwise I'll probably add locking tuners.

I love me some locking tuners.

Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:04 pm

Okay; bass player question:

How much tuning stability do locking tuners add?

Another one; 3-fer:

Is it because of the trem or bending or both?

Ken...

Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:00 pm

Ken Baker wrote:Okay; bass player question:

Another one; 3-fer:

Ken...

One big factor with guitar locking tuners is that the string is cut after the string passes through the tuner post one time, there by minimizing the amount of slack in the string. Of course a player can still wrap the string if they want to and lose this advantage. Tremolo use and bending will affect the tuning stability too.

A good set of bass tuners don't need any locking device. Good basses stay in tune a long time when the strings settle in, if you can prevent anyone from bumping the tuners. LOL

Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:07 pm

bassman wrote:
Ken Baker wrote:Okay; bass player question:

Another one; 3-fer:

Ken...

One big factor with guitar locking tuners is that the string is cut after the string passes through the tuner post one time, there by minimizing the amount of slack in the string. Of course a player can still wrap the string if they want to and lose this advantage. Tremolo use and bending will affect the tuning stability too.

A good set of bass tuners don't need any locking device. Good basses stay in tune a long time when the strings settle in, if you can prevent anyone from bumping the tuners. LOL

I don't have em on a bass, but I have some with the center hole, so I string em no more than 1 wrap, kind of like a locking tuner. No tuning issues on my bass, it is no double locking trem, but it'll do.

Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:11 am

replyman wrote:Topic: Mod's. What do you think of the "stock" offerings from G&L, other than all things MFD? I have a Legacy that is made beautifully. Just think the sound isn't where I want it. So I'm replacing the pickups and doing whatever wiring mods, if needed.

I never mod my MFD equipped guitars. I've owned several stock Legacy's and didn't care for them. My current Legacy is a '92 with Fender, Texas Special pickups. The wiring is single volume and single tone. The second tone pot isn't used. This is the best sounding Legacy I've owned and might be the first keeper.

Sprinter 92

Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:13 am

I hear ya. Hopefully that's where I'm headed too...