Lunch Report - January 29, 2024

Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:49 pm

Greetings all,

Today's lunch was BBQ tacos at 'Serious Texas Barbeque' here in Colorado.
Pulled pork, pintos, queso, onion and jalapenos. Just like mamasita used to make!

Funny how our best bbq joints in the Rocky Mountain state all have Texas flags outside them. :)

Today's topic is 'tremolo' (vibrato) systems we have known and loved.

Here's what sparked my interest in this...
Image87 LF Fine Tune by Jack Breeding, on Flickr

Leo's Fine Tune Bridge, second version iirc as shown on a magnificent near mint '87 Skyhawk.
Image87 Skyhawk Body 2 by Jack Breeding, on Flickr

And the Graph Tech locknut bits.
Image87 Skyhawk headstock by Jack Breeding, on Flickr

I read a piece on this unit from our archives (or maybe it was GG's site) that commented that fine tuner bridges were all the rage right up to GnR and Nirvana - when they all ended up on the scrapheap of history.
A bit harsh perhaps but my question for you is, did you ever or do you still sport a fine-tune bridge on one of your main guitars?

I'll come right out and say that I never have but not because I'm against them. Just never saw the need for it.

What is your T/V unit of choice or are you a hard-tail fan?

TJ

Re: Lunch Report - January 29, 2024

Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:22 pm

My playing doesn't require me to be in tune...

Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:53 am

:happy0065: :lol:

Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:31 am

Hi Jack,

Late reply but thanks for the LR, sweet Skyhawk.

I’ve always been intrigued in the fine tuner but never owned one. I love the saddle-lock so much had to go other directions. I do have a couple with dual fulcrum and like the feel when used. I did have a Floyd Rose with a “pointy” pink HM Strat years ago but they were too much for me to fiddle with.

Love Texas BBQ! Fan of County Line and Stubbs in Austin but there are so many good joints around the state.

Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:13 am

Love me a good lunch report!

I had a ham and cheese mayo sandwich on rye, an apple, and a granola bar - all of which were washed down with a cool glass of water.

I prefer a hard tail to a tremolo system, ...but I did pickup an 87' Fender Strat plus back in 90' or 91'.

It came with a locking Floyd Rose tremolo (with graphite saddles), and the full (rather than split) Wilkinson roller nut along with Sperzil black dot locking tuners. I bought it new from a local shop. I mention the full nut because back in 87 it seemed like a 'luck of the draw' whether you got a full or a split roller nut. Not sure which is better, but I like mine the way it is.

At that time my I had been playing mainly on an old early 70s Les Paul Deluxe (blonde top). I didn't know any better, or I would have kept it, but I sold it to buy the aforementioned Strat Plus. I'd been playing the Les Paul through a no-name solid state amp, just barely enough to be heard over the drums. - and nothing I tried could make that guitar sound the way I wanted it to. By that time I was moving on from influences like Pink Floyd, Led Zep, and Lynyrd Skynyrd, and into Steve Ray Vaughan, Albert King, etc. So the Strat was purchased to get a different tone.

Once I started playing through a "real" amp - I realized my folly, but it was too late. I'd already sold the LP - and was fairly happy with the strat. But I should kept the LP - and- the strat. ;)

In any case, I hadn't used a tremolo before, and I didn't really play a lot of music that called for a tremolo, so I never really took advantage of it. Now I wish I had, but not enough to cause any regrets. I think everyone has a history and that history shapes the sound they have today. Since I like my sound, I don't regret the path that brought me here, as it were.

But that tremolo was the one I used the most, and it felt very good.

Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:13 am

DanDoulogos wrote:...But I should kept the LP - and- the strat. ;)

The lesson here is of course one we're all familiar with.

Never sell a guitar. Ever. :D

TJ

Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:43 pm

Lunch- peanut butter toast.

I love the DFV. Great feel and stays in tune. Imo, it's much better than Leo's early works though I do like the Start style too. Even my old Mustang is ok with a light touch.
Would like to spend some real time with a Bigsby. I like tremolo but usually grab my Classic these days. I don't bend enough to need a locking nut. Seems like too much trouble.

Beautiful Skyhawk!

Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:48 pm

mutts wrote:I love the DFV. Great feel and stays in tune. Imo, it's much better than Leo's early works though I do like the Start style too. Even my old Mustang is ok with a light touch.
Would like to spend some real time with a Bigsby. I like tremolo but usually grab my Classic these days. I don't bend enough to need a locking nut. Seems like too much trouble

lunch was breakfast, egg/cheese/bacon on a croissant.

my first couple strats had the 6 screw floating bridge/tail piece. never liked it.

when i bought my 1st G&L, a tribute legacy, the DFV b/tp it came with blew away the fenders and i sold them both.

one night i saw this on the 'verb and pounced on it. always thought the fine tuner bridge was a cool invention.

it has quite a bit of sustain based on its mass, is very smooth, stays in tune if you balance it right. i use 9-42 strings on the Interceptor.

the fine tuner knobs do just that, it is a cool machine.