22 November 23 - Lunch Report

Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:41 am

Lunch: Working from home today, so lunch is going to be some left-over homemade shepherd's pie - washed down with either milk or a can of diet A&W Root Beer. I am not really a fan of soft drinks in general, and diet soft drinks in particular, but we got a couple of cases of these ...and someone has to drink 'em. ;)

G&L Topic: My love-hate relationship with my Comanche
I have a 2008 Tribute Comanche - complete with a tiger-stripe maple façade under a wonderfully darker amber-burst. It has the switch, a wonderful vintage finished neck, and plays like buttah.

It is easy to see why I love the guitar, but why do I (supposedly) hate it? I don't. I'm like a billionaire complaining about how heavy my wallet is. No one should sympathize with that - it's just wrong. So here is my "beef" - the tonal spectrum on this guitar is huge. I can dial in so many tonal options that it's crazy. I'll never be able to use it all. The guitar is more versatile than I want it to be. Subtle changes have a more pronounced effect on tone that a typical Strat. It can do anything a Strat can do, but them it goes on to do a whole lot more. It's almost daunting. I find it hard each I put it into the rotation, to remember how did I dial it in that one time when I got that swanky-spanky jangle, or that sweet Albert king tone - the list goes on. Sure, I can write down these things, but I don't.

If you haven't played one yet - get your hands on one when you have an hour or two to play around with the tone. You'll find it does everything and then some.

GUITAR HAIKU: An haiku is a Japanese poem consisting of three lines where the first and third line each have 5 and only 5 syllables, and the middle line has 7 syllables. Haikus focus on a brief moment in time, juxtaposing two images, and creating a sudden sense of enlightenment. The "art" of the poem is to explain in such a limited and simple format the essense of a moment, or a thing.

So - because this is FUN - I'm going to write an haiku about my ASAT, and I want everyone who posts to join in and write an haiku about one of their G&L Guitars. We are artists after all, and stretching and sharing our artistic thoughst is a great way to have fun on a day such as today.

MY ASAT - written today (just now):

There in the hollow
Within its azure casement
Trembles, oh my soul.

Yeah okay, it's my blue burst semi-hollow ASAT Special. Hopefully you guys can do better.

Here is a bonus one - about our humble community

Foam lit upon the waves
like words we speak in darkness
after the lion roars.

Little cryptic I guess - Leo is the name of a lion, and we come here to discuss the works of Leo Fender, yada yada.

No videos to share today. Just putting a post in mid-week to shake up some conversation.

EDIT: One more music-in-general Haiku:

Mixolydian,
Ionian minor seventh
It isn't that hard

Re: 22 November 23 - Lunch Report

Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:57 am

Rotation:

Stable of many
Tugging at my heart always
Love changes each day

Between my V12 and Commanche I am constantly on an adventure of tone

Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:54 am

SUaPYG wrote:Rotation:

Stable of many
Tugging at my heart always
Love changes each day

Between my V12 and Comanche I am constantly on an adventure of tone

That is quite good ( and epically relatable).

Thanks for sharing that - I think I can safely certify your artistic credentials. ;)

Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:57 pm

Have been trying to post reply unsuccessfully for a couple of days, some error message. Will give short version.

I’m a root beer fan, diet A&W is actually pretty good. Funny thing is I drink more hot tea than anything else.

I vicariously live the Comanche life with a ASAT Z-3 and a Will Ray ASAT. Put a Will Ray bridge in yer Comanche and you’ll see a new level of bridge pickup.

This may be the first haiku in GLDP history, and I like it. (Former English grad school candidate).

BED PARTNER
Some guitars will weep
I sleep with my Comanche
While others just dream

Get the references thrown in? :evilgrin:

Appreciate ya shakin’ it up mid-week! :thumbup:

Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:13 pm

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! Thanks Dan, for lunch! I had...leftovers

Haiku, never tried it. Here goes (this is a good exercise for right brain people, like musicians who grew up in the '70's who now fancy the odd G&L guitar):

When black friday comes
I'll go back to my old friends
Like my comanche!

never tried a&w rb. i was pleased, however, to see that the Georges Duboeuf Beaujolais Nouveau 2023 is available, 1st time i've had some since 2019 thanks to a certain corona virus. love this at holiday times each year. it was special to both my parents who are now of blessed memory, so for me it is special too. Costco had a bunch of it so I splurged and will go back for more before Christmas.

best wishes and good health...

Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:59 am

I do like root beer, I try not to drink too much pop. Not a fan of diet versions. I drink lots of water.

Here goes...

Guitar I saved for
Watching waiting indifferent
Smoke on the water

My V12 and old F100 can do a lot. A Commanche would make my head explode.
Happy Thanksgiving Americans. Thanks Dan !