Open Mic Lunch Reprt Monday August 9

Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:50 am

Since I ain't doing anything important at the moment other than stuffing my face - I figured I might as well go ahead and pitch in.

A real working man's lunch for Woof today. Virginia Baked Ham, Maple Cured Turkey Breast and Swiss Cheese on 7 grain bread with mayo (hellman's of course), lettuce, and tomators straight from garden. Got me some store bougthg potato salad with a refreshing berveridge - today a Diet 7-Up.

Topic #1: Speaking of gardens - how are ya'lls gardens doing. I think Thomas Jefferson was never more right when he said we were meant to be a nation of yeoman farmers. There is something rejuvenatting to the soul about working in the dirt. Ours is pretty small this year - three kinds of tomatoes, green pepper, cucumbers, and strawberries as well as a small herb garden. As Guy Clark once said - only two things money can't buy, true love and home grown tomatoes.

Topic #2: Favorite Vampire. I love movie monsters - have since I was a kid. Most modern horror flicks just don't compare to the stuff Universal put out in the 1920s and 1930s. I also still enjoy the B movies - things like "The Hideous Sun Demon" and "It - Terror From beyond Space." But when it comes to vampires I have to admit my favorite is a newer entry - Jess (played by Lance Henrickson) in the movie "New Dark.
So who is your favorite vampire or movie monster?

Jess on the left and a fairly young Bill Paxton on the right.

Topic #3: What is the most boring color on a G&L? What is the most exciting color? I don't really know but I until I saw a G&L Will Ray in clear orange I swore the only guitar that would look good in that color scheme was a Gretsch.

Added Question - how many of ya buy a new guitar and run home and pose with it in front of the mirror to see how cool the two of you look together? I do
Last edited by zombywoof on Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Open Mic Lunch Reprt Monday August 9

Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:03 pm

Live in an apartment, no garden here.

No clue on favourite vampire, not really a tv/movie type of guy.

Butterscotch is pretty boring imo, as is the 30th anniversary finish (albeit I reserve the right to be proven wrong with some HQ photos of it.) Funny you mention orange though, as I should be ordering an orange one at months end.

And nope, I don't pose with my instruments. I run on the assumption regardless of instrument, I will looks suitably outstanding with it strapped on me.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:59 pm

Hey Woof. Thanks for steppin' up! Your lunch sounds great! I had leftover Thai. Some thick noodle dish with chicken. Not bad...

Well, my garden was going well until recently. You may recall that my neighbor's son's pig girlfriend picked me clean a week or so ago. Things have started to grow back now, but the tomatoes seem to have attracted pests - these hairless catapillar-like things that seem to be ruining all my Pink Ladys and Better Boys (we're also growing red grape and yellow cherry tomatoes, in addition to cukes, zucchini, and a couple other things). I don't want to use chemicals, so I'm at a bit of a loss - literally as well. Here's my boy with some of the booty in happier times (feel free to share with Emma):

On your other questions, I've never been a fan of monster or horror flicks. Sorry!

Boring color? I dunno. For me, it depends on what color pickguard, pickup covers are put on which body color, fretboard wood, etc.
For example, I don't like black guitars with white appointments or with rosewood, but I like Black with black and a maple board....

As far as your mirror strap-on question, well, what happens in Vegas.... ;+) Seriously though, I don't look at myself with guitars on purpose. I know I'm ugly and I'll never do any guitar much justice. - ed

Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:51 pm

No garden. I hate yardwork in general, but at least you do get something from all the hard work.

I think vampires, I think Kate Beckinsale. Yum! I think Gary Oldman was a pretty good (evil) one.

I'm not a big fan of white, or black guitars. A GOT maple neck with a tortoise guard and cream plastic on a black body looks pretty good, though. And BTW, the butterscotch blonde is gorgeous, at least it is on my Legacy Special.

And yes I've been known to cast a reflection every now and then.

Bill

Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:17 pm

I don't have a garden, just my lawn keeps me busy. Many years ago when I lived in California I tried growing some tomatoes, I remember the problem was that I have to beat the hungry slugs to them when they ripen. Many times the slugs were faster than I was (that doesn't sound right, does it?)

I not a fan of horror movies although I have seen a number of them. Based on my limited experience with this kind of film I do have a favorite: "The Fearless Vampire Killers" was funny and scary at the same time.

I think most color can be appealing with a set of complementary features, may be except green. I am just kidding, because my Godin is green, but an unusual kind of green. And I do like surf green.

Kit

Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:04 pm

Zomb, good to see someone step up. We converted from gardening to all flower gardens when my wife started her salon at home. We have a separate room on the back of our house with an enterance through the back yard. Her clients love the assortment of flowers and plants. We even have cacti from the South Dakota Badlands which survive Minnesota
winters and have beautiful yellow flowers in June. So, she has a total assortment of colors.

The same is true for Guitars. I have an assortment of colors, which hanging together on the wall are all beautiful. Many would say the Tanqueray Strat that I have is ugly, but she looks great to me. I also have a 62 reissue Strat in Surf Green, a cool color. Many of the 60s guitars were car colors. I am not a fan of Black but have a couple of black variations. One a Strat American Deluxe in Montego Black and a PRS 10 top in transparent Charcoal. So in my humble opinion, they all work. The G&Ls are especially beautiful because of the Swamp Ash wood grains with the transparent colors. They are way ahead of Fender in the woods that they use. The only way you will see a flamed neck on a Fender is from the Custom Shop and most of them are pretty wimpy. Whites happen to be one of my faves, especially the Vintage While that G&L does. The color of their Vintage White Pickguard is outstanding. I have a MM John Petrucci in Pearl White and it is also a looker. I think my best is the F-100 Return. That one is a killer for looks. By the way, some may look nicer than others, but they all play awesome!! Thats my story for today and no, I don't have a purple but I have been lusting at a Transparent Purple Carvin for some time. It ain't over till its over. -- Darwin :think: :happy0007: Maybe if I were single and 20, these guitars would corral the ladies in but as luck often goes, they would run off with a guitar instead of me. :evilgrin:

Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:12 am

zombywoof wrote:Topic #1: Speaking of gardens - how are ya'lls gardens doing. I think Thomas Jefferson was never more right when he said we were meant to be a nation of yeoman farmers. There is something rejuvenatting to the soul about working in the dirt. Ours is pretty small this year - three kinds of tomatoes, green pepper, cucumbers, and strawberries as well as a small herb garden. As Guy Clark once said - only two things money can't buy, true love and home grown tomatoes.

This past spring I built my own "self-watering container gardens" from scratch. Bought some big plastic bins from Home Depot, some 1.5" copper tubing, some pond baskets and a ton of potting mix. We have harvested tomatoes (cherry and grape) six or seven times. The bush tomatoes have fruit, but they're still green and don't seem to want to ripen. I still have a bunch of cherry/grape tomatoes on the plants, but the plants seem to be wilting suddenly.

We've also got eggplants on which are looking good. Cucumbers didn't turn out so hot, but they were in smaller containers which I think prevented them from setting fruit properly. <shrug> The cantaloupe are going to town, though, as are the peppers (green, green, "chocolate" and yellow). The best part of it all is that the kids are really into it.

Topic #2: Favorite Vampire. I love movie monsters - have since I was a kid. Most modern horror flicks just don't compare to the stuff Universal put out in the 1920s and 1930s. I also still enjoy the B movies - things like "The Hideous Sun Demon" and "It - Terror From beyond Space." But when it comes to vampires I have to admit my favorite is a newer entry - Jess (played by Lance Henrickson) in the movie "New Dark.
So who is your favorite vampire or movie monster?

Bela Lugosi, hands down. That Twilight crap isn't about vampires, I don't care what any teenage girls and their mothers have to say about it. Vampires can't be in the sun, and not because they have "skin that sparkles like a million diamonds." What a load of crap.

Topic #3: What is the most boring color on a G&L? What is the most exciting color? I don't really know but I until I saw a G&L Will Ray in clear orange I swore the only guitar that would look good in that color scheme was a Gretsch.

I'd have to say butterscotch blonde. Done to death. Yeah, I know it's heresy and I'll wind up excommunicated, but there you have it. I loved the old-style two-color tobacco burst on my ASAT Classic. Even the trans cherry on my old ASAT Junior was more interesting to me.

Added Question - how many of ya buy a new guitar and run home and pose with it in front of the mirror to see how cool the two of you look together? I do

Uh, I have never posed or even stood in front of a mirror with a guitar. Seriously.

Nice report!