Lunch Report Thu Aug 05

Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:03 am

Lunch today will be some pizza with green peppers and onions and a cold
Coke. You have to have Coke or beer with pizza. Since I'm working I'll
Stick with Coke right now.

Important questions first: Looking for a Lunch Reporter for next week.
It's an easy job and the kind folks at G&L will reward you with some
swag in the way of a BBE pedal. Shoot me an email.

Anyone using any exotic guitar picks?
[url=http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/turtle-shell-vs/May-2010/113771
] Spendy Guitar Picks [\url]
I must admit that I first recoiled a bit when I read this article. $20
and up for a single pick! But as I thought about it I guess when you put
it in perspective it's not that bad. After all, we spend 100's or 1000's
of dollars on gear. But then I don't lose guitars as often as I lose
picks. I haven't taken the plunge yet but perhaps I'll try a few
different picks one of these days. Mostly I'm using Dunlops.

More "On This Date in Music History" 08/05
1957, American Bandstand first aired on US TV. Dick Clark had replaced
Bob Horn the previous year when the show was still called Bandstand,
Clark went on to host the show until 1989. Countless acts appeared on
the show over the years, including Abba, The Doors, Talking Heads,
Madonna, Otis Redding, R.E.M. and Pink Floyd. I don't know about you but
I have a hard time picturing Talking Heads and Floyd appearing on
Bandstand.

A few months ago I was wasting time and went to
[url=http://www.tonylevin.com]Tony Levin's web site [\url] Tony is one
of my favorite bass player, I typically associate him with King Crimson
or Peter Gabriel. I knew he played with a lot of people but I was
surprised to see the long list of artists he's recorded and toured with.
Some of them were what I considered an odd match. But that's one thing I
like about Levin, he seems to play what is needed not matter who he is
with. Some of the hundreds of records include:
Sarah McLachlan, Paula Cole, Judy Collins, Laurie Anderson, Burt
Bacharach, Karen Carpenter, Cher, Alice Cooper, Al DiMeola, Marshall
Crenshaw, Robbie Dupree Chris Botti, Etta James, Mark Knopfler, John
Lennon, Liza Minelli, Yoko, Peter Paul and Mary, Buddy Rich, Neil
Sedaka, ...
(And just to keep it G&L related - Tony should play an L2000)

I read somewhere recently that Jackson Brown spent a very short stint as
a member of Blue Oyster Cult. Now that is in odd pairing. So gimme some
more odd pairings of musicians. I know there's got to be tons.

Jeff

Re: Lunch Report Thu Aug 05

Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:39 am

I play with agate picks (if you look back when I did the LR I went over that). I love the crispness, they kind of stick to your fingers a bit, and are rock solid, good for fast alternate picking as you always know where the point is.

Odd pairings, well when I saw Mountain (opening for Satriani). The bassist was a young guy from the Michael Schenker group (not current member). He had a long top knot, and would windmill it and whatnot, humourous. Great player too, just didn't fit in with Leslie and Corky, much, particularly for not being ancient :P.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:50 am

My first concert was one of those Dick Clark Caravans of Stars - the Byrds were the headliners. Paul Revere and the Raiders were also on the bill but I don't recall who else. One of my favorite memories of the Dick Clark show was seeing Mother Earth (with the amazing Tracy Nelson on vocals and Toad Andrews on guitar) on the show perform live rather than the usual lip syncing.

Picks?
I play with my fingers most of the time but when I do use a pick I ain't picky. Crap, picks cut from discarded credit cards will do in a pinch. But the day ain't come when I am gonna go out and spend $40 on one of those Blue Chip picks. Mama Woof did not raise such a stupid child.

Odd couples of music.

The one that immediately comes to mind is Rockabilly revivalist Robert Gordon's stint with the early Tuff Darts. You can hear him with the Darts on the Live at CBGBs compilation. By the time the Darts recorded their first LP, Gordon was gone. The Darts though did record 1 song I loved and which my band included in our setlist - "Head Over Heels". And their "Slash" remains one of the great kiss off tunes of all times with its reference to preferring to give head to King Kong than spending the night with the female subject of the song.

Another pairing I thought was odd was Joe Walsh joining the Eagles. Joe is a darn good rocker while the Eagles - well, Caifornia pop by any other name. But he sure was the best thing that ever happened to that outfit and he breathed some much needed life into it - although not enough to get me to buy an Eagles LP.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:57 pm

Lunch today will be some pizza with green peppers and onions and a cold
Coke.
OK, is the pizza left over, fresh made at home today, delivered today or found frozen in the freezer and thawed out cuz you were too lazy to spread the PBJ? Now pizza is a whole nuther subject, would love to see Cajunboy back on that topic as well.

None now but I am intrigued by the $35 stone picks out there. I'm a Dunlop, Fender and finger guy but the stone jobs could be nice (based on their marketing guys write ups). Alas, economy only allows me to plunk down $35 for personal guitar wipe and buff LOL! :BadIdea:

A few months ago I was wasting time and went to
[url=http://www.tonylevin.com]Tony Levin's web site [\url] Tony is one
of my favorite bass player,
Amen, Tony is one of the best. I became aware of him when he played with Alice Cooper and started following. The dude has played with everyone, look it up.

I read somewhere recently that Jackson Brown spent a very short stint as
a member of Blue Oyster Cult.
Never knew that one, very cool. 8-) As far as odd pairings, Pat Boone's In a Metal Mood is up there, and way cool in a strange way. The fact that Lemmy Kilmeister played with Hawkwind always caught me by surprise. Or should I say, the fact that Lemmy formed Motorhead shocked the *^%! out of me. :?: Alice Cooper and Vincent Price is my all time favorite pairing on Black Widow from Welcome to My Nightmare.

Rock on. :alright:

Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:11 am

sam wrote:
None now but I am intrigued by the $35 stone picks out there. I'm a Dunlop, Fender and finger guy but the stone jobs could be nice (based on their marketing guys write ups). Alas, economy only allows me to plunk down $35 for personal guitar wipe and buff LOL! :BadIdea:

Rock on. :alright:

I wouldn't pay 35$ for them, I paid about 12-14 for each of mine (have 2) an Ebayer named Painter-Arps if I recall made them. To Spec, within days. They live in either Australia or Israel, but there were no issues with the deal, straight up with a solid product. Found her website for those interested.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:18 am

Thanks for the info, will look 'em up.