Lunch Report 30 March 2023

Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:51 am

Here we are on another glorious Thursday, in and around the lunch hour. What better time and place to muse a few moments away thinking and chatting about our common interests?

Lunch today for me was straight up Ramen. I hope that isn't what I had last time? I hardly ever have Ramen since it is insanely unhealthy, and not overly filling. Notwithstanding, I cannot lie, this was my lunch as boring as that is.

You know how these work - Tell me what you had today for lunch (or if not today, tell me about your last lunch) then I pick three categories for each poster to write about including myself. Then we read them and our sense of community grows and we get to know each other a bit better.

The First category is usually related to our mutual affection for G&L guitars (and or products). But today I am going to make the first category about G&L enthusiasts on this very site as our G&L related topic.

G&L Related: Name three people on the site that you admire - and what it is you admire about them.

#1 Craig (Yes, the Admin). I don't know what kind of music he plays, where he lives, or how he parts his hair (assuming he has some), but I know this. Craig loves G&L, and he has been a great resource for every user of this site for many years. Thanks Craig for being there and for being such a great advocate for the people who come here. I can't count how many times you've pointed people to the right spot to find some obscure thing or other. Always polite, always pleasant, always helpful. If I still drank - I'd have a beer with you anytime.

#2 Sam. Sam has the best avatar. I assume it's him sitting on that chair playing a guitar with freakishly long legs. Sam is often the first person to welcome new comers, and get them to engage on the site. He reeks of southern charm, so I hope he's from the south and has a drawl. It wouldn't taint my impression of him if he wasn't - but that's just how I picture him. I think Sam goes to more concerts than anyone else I know. Every time I go to see a show, I look around to see if Sam is there, even though I live in Canada, I still think with the number of concerts Sam attends there's always a 20% chance he's at any given concert at any given time. I like Sam because he's friendly and genuine.

#3 Last would be KC (that y2kc). This man has the best collection of guitars, and a whole hecka-lot of knowledge. You'd do well to sit down one day and just read a bunch of his comments. You'll learn a bunch.

What was the last song you listened to?
For me it was "what in the world" by Joey Landreth (solo album).

Lastly - ASAT or Legacy - what's your preference and why?
For Me, it's the ASAT. I love a good hard tail. I like me some strat - but ASAT is where it's at.

Now it's your turn.

Re: Lunch Report 30 March 2023

Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:19 pm

Hey Dan!

Another fine LR and I even see my name in it. :o Especially since it's not followed by an ^&mmit or bas*$^ which is often the case. Yes, live in the South now. 8-) From birth I have been Arkansas, Louisiana, Tennessee, California, Tennessee, Indiana, Mississippi, Georgia, Indiana and Georgia.

My lunch was about as exciting and healthy as yours, some left over chicken with cheese melted on a tortilla and doritos.

Great topic on the G&L side, cuz there are so many I admire and would like to meet as well, hard to pick just three.

#1 Jos, aka yowhatshakin. Since he is our resident G&L museum and all knowing ASAT expert I always look for his posts. His webpage is fantastic for G&L research. TONS of information and cause for much GAS! ;) While Jos and I have traded emails and I have been to the northwest a few times my schedule has never one that allowed for a meet and greet. That day will come. :alright:

#2 DanDoulogos. Not because of his kind comments to me but because he always has a positive input and I'm envious of your computer recording and general guitar technical wizardry. As said before, I am the poster child for computer "illllituurraceee", and I married an engineer to help with all I cannot acomplish. Your take on the Frickenfracker was great. I am not a double neck fan, but loved insight on the design and such a cool story. Haven't been to any shows in Canada, YET, but if I do you will be first to know! Work has taken me to Canada a few times and I'm sure it will again. :searching:

#3 Kit. Kit's input here has been for a long time has been informative and enjoyable. Talk about covering a lot of ground, Kit's knowledge of many bands, guitars, amps and music in general is incredible. Always a welcome voice to new comers and another one I will reach out to if work takes me to Portland. :thumbup:

Today has been a day listening to Son Volt album Electro Melodier (Jay Farrar Uncle Tupelo fan as well) and Jeff Tweedy Live Is The King. Catching up on a couple of Alt Country players I like.

ASAT all the way. Remember, YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MANY ASAT'S! :evilgrin:

Dan, Speaking of concerts...bought tickets today to take my youngest to see Lauren Daigle in October, 10th row. Got pre-release tix at a decent price. If you have kids still at home, try to spend a much time with them as possible. Our first two have flown the coop, still holding on.

Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:24 am

Sorry I missed this yesterday. Belated post, after I had a friend over Thursday to check out a couple of guitars acquired in the past 6 months—including an ASAT Deluxe. :banana:

Lunch Thursday was leftover veggie jambalaya, for my spice fix.

I'd like to meet everyone already named. I always grin at Sam's avatar, even though Wolf (hint) is not a G&L. I'd like to add Elwood to the list. He doesn't chime in as often as he used to, but his posts and experiences have always been helpful. And, the Land Shark avatar always makes me chuckle.

I'm not sure how to pick the last song I listened to. The radio is often on to KPIG, the last great radio station (it can be streamed) or to the UC Santa Cruz community station. Then there was the old DVD I dug out Wednesday night of a duo performance I did in 2005 (!), which I hadn't heard in forever.

ASAT or Legacy? I'm going to say vintage Skyhawk... so that points me toward the Legacy camp. But only just...

Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:48 am

Yet another belated reply. Lunch was ( this was at work I get a pass ) two small tortillas with some meat and cheese rolled up. One can ( small ) of Beef-a-roni and one large navel orange . The orange was good.

Dan, you made some great mentions with your GBL members and I concur with all of them. I will second tomache's Yo what's shakin and Elwood and add DarwinOlm. Although he doesn't post much anymore I always enjoyed his contributions " raises a cold one ". This forum still has top notch members with excellent knowledge.
Last song, last song......technically it was " Get off the grass Sam " by Steppenwolf. With the caveat that it had started out with playing " Bringing on the Heartbreak" by Def Leopard , which was a song I called out to be played on the drive into work. Then the stream took me to Steppenwolf with a lot of 80's metal in between and not a few FF's.

Asat or Legacy....... Its out numbered , or is it ? I will have to go with my Asat, although my S-500 was my first G&L and I don't consider my F-100 a true S type. The Asat is the one that gets open G tuning occasionally so that makes it my coolest guitar by default. So there.

Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:13 pm

Hey Dan, lunch was dinner on Thursday, my wife's homemade chicken breast recipe with green beans and mashed potatoes. pretty special!

I've been on the board since 2014, and will nominate
Craig: webmaster, curator and source of truth on all things G&L, always helpful!
Sam: always welcoming and happy to share, he's an ASAT man for sure!
Dan D: shares a passion for comanche, ASAT special, and certain 1976 Les Pauls with me!

last song: was listening to Robben Ford/Bill Evans "common ground" while driving with my wife and grandson, some tasty jazz with some blues and rock hooks.

ASAT or Legacy style? That's a toughy, I'm a Tele guy at heart, and I use my ASAT special a good bit (pic below to stimulate that part of the brain of onlookers) but I am still smitten with my comanche which has such fabulous sound and playability. (Tomanche i'm with you on the vintage skyhawk thing, my Jan '84 hawk is a best kept secret of tone and playability as well)

Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:48 am

Thanks for the kind words Dan.

I enjoy everyones post these days. The folks here do like their G&L guitars. Do miss Larry Garrett.
I do not claim any special knowledge about these guitars. I just know I have more than my share.
Started collecting the day Mr. Fender passed. RIP

The last song I listened to was "rocky top" by Jump N The Saddle Band on youtube. Great fiddle and steel.

y2kc