Lunch Report 15 Mar 2023

Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:08 am

Lunch: An apple, a (difficult to peel) orange, a chocolate covered mini-granola bar and a crumbly butter pecan tart, washed down with some H2O. Had my lunch early (11am) at my desk. I say early, but I start at 6 am and skipped breakfast, so to me it didn't feel early so much. ;)

G&L Related: Describe the first G&L guitar you ever saw, and how you came to see it.

The G&L guitar I ever saw was in a music store in Winnipeg in the late 1980s. I had stepped in to buy strings and to eyeball the various guitars. I came around a corner and saw three guitars on stands, one of which was rather fetching to the eye - a blue-green SC-3 with a matching headstock with a white pickguard and pickups.

To be fair, not knowing anything about G&L, to me it just looked like another strat wannabe. I remember saying something derisive to my girlfriend at the time, who liked the way it looked. The fact that the price was very reasonable only made me feel more sure it was just a knockoff. I didn't care for the color and wasn't interested in a knockoff. I think that was the day I bought my 87 Fender Strat plus. If I could go back and have a do-over, I'd definitely grab that SC-3.

So my first impression of G&L was that it was just another knockoff company making "almost" copies of *real* Fender guitars. (hanging head in shame).

Last Concert You took in : Give the date, place, and band that you last went to see. Who were you with, how good were the seats, and what was the name of the band? If you're inclined and can find one - post a video of the band for others to see. Let us know how that concert went.

Last concert I went to see was here in Winnipeg at the Burton Cummings Theatre on November 5, 2022. My wife and I had front row tickets. The Band was Winnipeg's own Brothers Landreth. You may have heard about them, as they wrote Bonnie Raitt's 2023 Grammy song "Made up mind" (see their version below).

phpBB [video]

The band was a lot more relaxed playing in their hometown, having just returned from a tour in Europe. My wife originally didn't feel like going, but afterwards she was pretty pumped about having been there. They have a great live show, and plenty of talent.

Tell the rest of about your last concert (even if you were the one playing!) and how that went!

Re: Lunch Report 15 Mar 2023

Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:17 am

Dan, lunch reports are rare now days and used to be a daily highlight. I haven't posted for ages but decided to come out of the weeds today. No lunch but cereal, a banana and an apple for breakfast.

First G&L in about 2005. I saw a Legacy in transparent red on CL that appeared to be in as new condition. The guy wanted to trade it for a Tele so I traded a Transparent American Tele for it. Loved the G&L and had more than 20 of them later and still have 7 of the in my current group of about 20.

Last Concert was Emmy Lou and Mark Knopfler about 8 years ago. A great show although I thought Emmy Lou could have been featured more.

I retired from gigging 3 years ago as we had the covid break, our lead guitar player passed away almost 2 years ago and our drummer is not well. So time to give it up. I'm going to be 80 next month and life has been good! -- Darwin

Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:36 pm

Thanks for posting a lunch report, Dan! My lunch was (canned) salmon and rice with pesto, with hot Ceylon (Sri Lanka) tea to drink.

First G&L I saw (discounting Guitar Player magazine ads in 1980-81) was a Comanche VI Signature, with all those switches, in the window of George Peacock Instrument Repair, a small repair shop (didn't really stock instruments) a few blocks from my San Francisco apartment, ca. 1991. I walked in and asked the owner, "What is that guitar in the window?" He replied, "That is an amazing guitar." And that's all I did. Why, oh why did I not pick it up, perhaps try it out? (Answer: 'cuz I had my 1979 Stratocaster and didn't think I needed anything. :crazy: )

For my last concert, I'll nominate the concert I'm attending tonight: Branford Marsalis' quartet. Should be fine. I had hoped to see Bill Kirchen (Commander Cody) and Redd Volkaert do some amazing Tele-esque picking on Monday, but weather, flooding, and road closures prevented that trip.

Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:16 am

Hey Dan,

A very welcome lunch report for sure. That sounds like “Lunch of Champions” to me!

First saw a G&L guitar in a small shop in Indiana 1983 or 84, an SC-3. Knew of G&L but not a Strat style fan, was intrigued but didn’t really grab me. Wasn’t until I saw an ASAT at a shop in San Francisco in 84 that I knew Leo had something new.

My last concert was when I took my daughter to see Luke Combs with Zach Bryan, Cody Johnson and someone else last fall in Atlanta. Was a very entertaining show and all bands were very good. This was more traditional country to me and not so much “bro country”, maybe that’s why I enjoyed it! :evilgrin: Did see Dierks Bentley play three weeks ago at the Daytona 500. He played a set before the race. Have tickets to Dead and Company this summer, hoping their final tour goes out with a bang.

I joined a buddy of mine for a handful of songs while he was playing at a local bar, and a good time had by all. Didn’t have my guitar so played his Fender Strat Acoustisonic. They actually play alright, not totally for me but fit in for the songs we played.

Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:46 am

sam wrote:I joined a buddy of mine for a handful of songs while he was playing at a local bar, and a good time had by all. Didn’t have my guitar so played his Fender Strat Acoustisonic. They actually play alright, not totally for me but fit in for the songs we played.

Hey Sam! Thanks for the comment. I saw the reference to an Acoustasonic, and remembered that I only ever played one once, and that was unplugged. I wasn't overly impressed - mind you it was a brand new guitar at the time, and the first one in my city. A fellow from work had just picked it up at lunch that day, and I got to try it out unplugged. I liked the weight, but wasn't all that keen on the materials, or build quality. I decided it was more gimmick than gear for my taste, but having read that you were able to play one plugged in and in an actual venue, I have to ask: What were your thoughts on it? Did it sound like an acoustic?

Just wondering.

Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:07 am

Hi Dan, been awhile, thanks for the LR!
Hi Darwinohm, nice to see your electrons on the forum!

lunch yesterday was a few fork fulls of some mac and cheese my wife made for our 18 mo grandson who was hanging with us for the day.
i was busy installing a Lollar p90 at the neck position in my SG, making food a secondary concern.

i remember seeing adds for G&L comanche in guitar player mag in the early 90's, thought it was a little strange looking, wondered about the pickups.

1st time i remember seeing an actual G&L guitar in action was at an Umphrey's McGee concert at the Electric Factory in Philly in October 2008. Jake Cinninger was playing an s500 special, he's an amazingly talented guitarist and the guitar sounded great. impression made.

at the time, my brother was playing bass in my band and he had a red G&L 4 string bass, looked a little like a jazz bass. sounded great and he really loved it, he had a bunch of basses but liked to use that one live.

last concert was ... umphrey's mcgee at the Fillmore in Philly on Jan 14th. great venue, their 1st set was missing something, but they rallied in the 2nd set and blew us away in typical umphrey's style. we were in the balcony in the back, 7 or 8 of us umphreaks. i think it was my 22nd um show. never gets old. here's a clip from the show:

phpBB [video]

Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:15 am

Hey Dan,

I had the same impression but acoustic and plugged in. I played mostly plugged in and like you, it didn’t feel too substantial. It was light but overall contour and feel was not one where I would buy one. The sound was more like a Strat through an acoustic simulator, close enough for acoustic but not rich enough acoustic or electric tone for me. They keep selling them so somebody likes them. We were at a local brew pub on a small stage in the eating area. Playing stuff like Werewolves of London and Mama Tried.

Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:32 am

sam wrote:Hey Dan,

I had the same impression but acoustic and plugged in. I played mostly plugged in and like you, it didn’t feel too substantial. It was light but overall contour and feel was not one where I would buy one. The sound was more like a Strat through an acoustic simulator, close enough for acoustic but not rich enough acoustic or electric tone for me. They keep selling them so somebody likes them. We were at a local brew pub on a small stage in the eating area. Playing stuff like Werewolves of London and Mama Tried.

Thanks Sam.

I like Werewolves of London and Mama Tried - sounds like a sweet jam.

I feel vindicated in my original opinion of the Acoustasonic. For many years my go-to Acoustic was an old (high end) Takemine with a clear, bright under-the-saddle microphonic pickup that did a great job capturing the acoustic timbre of the instrument. I strung it up with an unwound G-string, so I could noodle, since those old Tak necks are quite playable - and with the cutaway, that guitar could sound all acoustic or get funky too.

So for me, at the time, when I played the Acoustasonic, my feeling was that it played okay, like any other strat, and was nice and light - but I didn't like some of the union of composites and wood, and on this particular one the places where wood met composites had very small gaps. He said he paid something like $2800 CDN for it, which seemed too rich for a guitar that at best could only match my Takemine. I also have never been keen on wood/composite hybrids. (I'm looking at you Ovation!).

So thanks for filling in the gaps for me, I feel better about my original opinion.

Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:06 pm

Dan,

A day late but alas. The first G&L I ever saw was an Trans Orange ASAT Classic at a long defunct store named The Zobrist. It was love at first sight, a beautiful guitar with a gorgeous ash body with the grain showing through the finish and great sounding. As an academic, I did not have the money in those days to buy it and when I could, the guitar was gone. Unfortunately, I had not heard of layaway and I am sure after becoming friends with the owners that would have been fine with them. Alas again.

Last concert was the Maria Schneider Orchestra last February 28 at Town Hall in Seattle. Just by myself since my wife was away to the motherland. Great stuff.

- Jos

Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:08 pm

Thanks for posting Dan, I'm two days late ! I can't really remember what got me on to G&L's. The first two I ever laid eyes on were at the main branch of Long&McQuade in Vancouver in the used room. That was back in 2010. I had been reading up on S-500's and wouldn't you know it , there it was. There was also a nice Legacy, and both guitars were three tone bursts traded or sold by the same guy. I played the S-500, said " yup " and took it home with me. Great guitar. Haven't seen another G&L at any L&M since. The last concert I went to was Teenage Fanclub about four years ago. Man time flies. My wife and I really enjoyed it though, they are a great band.
Last edited by glvourot on Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:59 am

Thanks Dan. Lunch was a ham and Havarti cheese sandwich with Dijon mustard. I knew nothing about G&L and very little about guitars when I went to purchase my first electric guitar at a local shop. I played some and liked the ASAT (as much as my talent allowed). I "ordered" a cherry burst '91 Leo Fender Signature ASAT with 7.5" radius rosewood fingerboard. Fullerton being only a few miles away, it was droped off at the shop by "Dale", who I now assume was Dale Hyatt. I still have it, set up for 5 strings and permanently tuned in open-G. It's really great for that, even if I'm not.

Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:54 am

My first exposer to G&L was through their ads in Guitar Player Magazine. They really seemed serious compared to other companies.
The advertisements were selling an instrument as compared to a lifestyle. These ads stood out to me.
Early on I called the factory and talked to a guy named Dale. I had know idea who this guy was but remember the youthful enthusiasm
in his voice as he took the time to describe every guitar. I thought I was talking to a kid.
He answered the phone personally and everyone of my lame questions.

I do remember the first G&L I purchased. It was a Skyhawk. I ended up selling that to a friend in Japan as well as a few bass guitars.

The last show I attended was here in Chicago about four months ago. We saw Melvin Taylor. He is returning to the same tiny venue soon.
He has one of the best drummers I have heard. Check him out!