Lunch Report Wed Aug 04

Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:21 am

First off, a little follow up from yesterday's chat about Brian May. Last night on NPR there was an interview with him on the Fresh Air program. Coincidence? Or maybe there is no such thing as a coincidence! (queue spooky Twilight Zone music) I didn't hear the whole thing but he talked about working with Queen and a bit of his new book. Don't recall the name of it but it has something to do with stereophonic photos from the 1800's. Interesting interview from what I heard. The Podcast is available at Brian May podcast on NPR if you're interested.

I have no idea what lunch is going to be today. I work from home about 50% of the time. But this morning I had some network issues that forced me to head to work last minute. So I had to change out of my shorts and t-shirt into my fancy pants and a button down shirt. Raced out the door without lunch to try and make a 9:00 call. If things get busy I'll have to make do with a Cliff Bar I've got stashed in my desk for just such an emergency.

Why are some guitarists such gear hounds, compared to bass players?
I saw a Tom Petty concert on the tube recently and his guitarist Mike Cambell seems to switch gtr dang near every song. But if I remember correctly, the bass player used 1 or 2 rigs all night long. Sure, the guitar is a bit more "out front" and sometimes you might need a wiggle stick or whatever. But is it a case of switching cuz you can? Or are
bass players just too stoopid to realize they can switch gear? :happy0007:

Speaking of Tom Petty, I know he's touring in support of his latest album Mojo. I haven't heard any of the record. I've seen him live a few times and always enjoyed it. Nothing fancy, just some good old fashioned rock. Anyone seen his recent show or planning to? What about the album? Any quick reviews to offer?

I realized yesterday I have been remiss in my duties. Craig announced the 30 Year anniversary guitars and I haven't even mentioned it. I'd love to see a high-res shot, or even better one in person. I'm curious to see how the pearl finish looks up close. Whatta ya think, love `em or loath `em or just ambivalent? Anyone planning on getting one? Now if G&L wanted to present the current LR with a Pearl finished Legacy or F-100 for a review I won't argue :D

Jeff

Re: Lunch Report Wed Aug 04

Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:16 am

With Mike Campbell, a few of those guitars may have been played once and ended up signed in a music shop. I like seeing all the different guitars too...

The 30TH Anniv: I am. Just deciding between the Legacy or the Special. I want to try out the new DFV, but I don't have a Special or anything soapbar MFD yet. Tough choice...?
Last edited by replyman on Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:28 am

I saw a Tom Petty concert on the tube recently and his guitarist Mike Cambell seems to switch gtr dang near every song. But if I remember correctly, the bass player used 1 or 2 rigs all night long. Sure, the guitar is a bit more "out front" and sometimes you might need a wiggle stick or whatever. But is it a case of switching cuz you can? Or are
bass players just too stoopid to realize they can switch gear?
Derrrr, I can have more than 1 bass? No Clue really, maybe it has something to do with basses keeping tune better, maybe by playing 30 guitars they only need to change all the strings once every couple shows not every show? I change my bass strings a lot comparatively however, as I like em bright as can be, with nickels.

The 30th anniversary look interesting, but I would need to see better pictures of the finish to decide, if they are still around in a month or so when I order. Would be leaning towards a ASAT special, same as I would get otherwise. Without seeing a good picture, or even knowing the price point, I am not leaning towards it as the pics G&L put up look a bit bland. I am not a collector, so the 30th anniversary burn in means nothing to me.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:13 am

I kinda understand the gear heads - if I were rich I would have a house full of wonderous guitars. It is the tech heads that I don't get. They are so obsessed with sound that they worry more about processors, boxes, FX and what have you than how to get something out of your guitar just using your fingers and knobs.

I saw Tom Petty on July 13 in Kansas City. And yeah, I do not think Petty used the same guitar for two songs in a row although Campbell did spend alot of time with a Les Paul. My favorite guitar tone of the night, however, was Campbell's Tele on "Breakdown." Just a great sound. The show was everything I have come to expect from Tom Petty - a no frills, rock 'n roll show. The guy is a pleasure to see. Campbell is just a fine guitar player - clean as it gets and every note with a purpose. A nice change from some guy blowing his brains out on a hot oversaturated solo or trying to cram as many notes as possible in a space. Petty also seemd to genuinely enjoy being there. All I can say is long may Petty's freak flag fly.

I got a copy of the "Mojo" LP free as part of the price of my ticket. I am enjoying it - almost a return to basics for Petty.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:44 am

I wasn't a big Petty fan, but I have come to appreciate him and his excellent band more and more as time goes by. And he gets big props for his role in Kevin Costner's film, "The Postman".

Miss Leslie and I both oohed and aahed over the 30th Anniversay Legacy. Probably out of financial range, though. I would want Schaller Locking tuners and a graphite nut on mine, though. The upgraded bridge looks interesting, and I hope they make aftermarket upgrade kits available for existing DFV users.

I hear you about changing guitars. I really don't believe in the "one guitar that can do it all". When you're out in the clubs doing rock and roll cover songs, you really need a strat tone and a 2HB (Les Paul) tone. And I could see doing a country gig where you'd need a Tele, an acoustic, a big ol' Gretsch (and maybe even a Les Paul for modern country). And a lot of times, you'd like to have a Marshall tone and a Fender amp tone.

In my band, I try to work in my acoustic, my 12-string and my 5-string banjo in my sets, when appropriate. The 12-string and the banjo are almost novelties, but they attact a lot of attention with their unique sounds. I always take a Legacy and a 2HB guitar (Les Paul, Ibanez Ghostrider or Artstar, or 335), and the Legacy Special can back up both the Legacy and the 2HB. Of course, there are certain hard rock songs where having the thicker tone of the Legacy Special's Blades pickup AND a vibrato make for a perfect match.

If I can make up set lists, I can keep the changes to a minimum; but since most of the time we just call our songs, it can make for some interesting gyrations. I really like to mix things up with different guitars, but some times it's not always practical, and it can really slow down your set tempo and flow. I even try to avoid using the same effect on consecutive songs. I don't want to use my phasor, or my chorus, or my wah-wah on three songs in a row. I don't want the audience getting bored because everything sounds the same.

I pretty much set up my amp for the Legacy, but then I don't do much knob twirling for the 2HB guitar. I WANT the guitars to sound different: I don't try to get the Les Paul's tone to sound like a Legacy. And of course, certain songs for me are just easier to play on the shorter Gibson scale.

I've been watching a DVR recording I made of a John Fogerty concert, and he's using about ten different guitars. A red Tele, black Gibson LP Custom, a Sunburst Historic ('59?) LP, a '56 Historic Goldtop LP with P-90s, a couple of modern Music Mans, a couple of PRS, and Taylor acoustics. He does get different tones, but a lot of the time I think he's changing for vibrato or scale-length reasons.

And my bass player Don usually brings at least two electric basses to most gigs, and sometimes he'll bring his acoustic bass too. And I know one guy in Seattle that moves through a Jazz, P-Bass, and a custom 5-string and a 6-string bass through the night.

Oh, and picked up Number 48 in my collection on Sunday: a TCSB Legacy with a 3-bolt maple neck, white 1-ply guard, Schallers, and the softer more rounded body edges. Beautiful guitar, in excellent condition--got it off the PDX Craiglist for only $400. Total steal.

Bill

Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:04 pm

Boogie Bill wrote:And my bass player Don usually brings at least two electric basses to most gigs, and sometimes he'll bring his acoustic bass too. And I know one guy in Seattle that moves through a Jazz, P-Bass, and a custom 5-string and a 6-string bass through the night.

Wow! They must be smart!

I only take 2 and the second one is only a backup. :crazy:

Ken...

Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:09 pm

Jeff, Brian May is one of my favorites. I've always liked his style and I would still like to own an AC30 amp.

Gear Hounds.-- I always bring two Basses to a gig and probably three guitars. The reasons are the Parker Southern covers a lot but has no trem. I take a guitar with a trem for old rock & roll and I prefer my PRS Hiland for instrumentals with a lot lot of work near the nut. It is a wider neck and works better for that. I'm sure every musician has reasons for what they do. I now have over 40 guitars but the biggest reason is for art value to me. They are so beautiful hanging on the wall, many different colors and types. I was 60 years old before I started buying guitars and it has just happened over time. Guitars are also a decent investment. I recently traded the 52 Tele reissue with the Bigsby for the PRS Johnny Hiland. It is worth more than double what the Tele is worth and the cost to me was very minimal. A collector wanted the Tele and if I miss it I will do another one. I am not into pedals either but show me a beautiful guitar and I drool. We all have our vices. As the modified saying could be, I spent my money on beer and women, the rest I wasted on guitars. :shocked028: --Darwin

Late night reply

Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:24 pm

Regarding gear and the Petty thing, I'm currently using at least three guitars and sometimes four on a gig. I've generally found that bass players don't need to change instruments very often between songs, for they're essentially much more concerned about holding down the bottom end. Although, many bass players I know will bring along a backup. But, if you're a slide player that plays open tunings, or if you're looking for an entirely different effect from another guitar, and, of course, unless you're willing to spend idle time on stage between songs tuning your guitar, it becomes necessary to have a few instruments on stage. Yeah, it's more work, but it's worth it!

Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:05 am

But is it a case of switching cuz you can? Or are bass players just too stoopid to realize they can switch gear?
Maybe there are just more varieties of bridges, p-ups, nuts on 6 stringers than 4 and the general search for a different sound.

Speaking of Tom Petty:
I have seen him a few times over the years and early reviews of this LP are very good. A few listens to youtube do remind me a bit of TP circa Long After Dark / Southern Accents, with a couple of surprises. Will probably pick this one up.

30 Year anniversary guitars
Would like to see the finish but no big rush to add to the gitar pile now, but a WR in pearl frost with maple neck and pearl frost skulls would be worth a look. :)

Now if G&L wanted to present the current LR with a Pearl finished Legacy or F-100 for a review I won't argue.
I'll second that. ;)

Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:44 am

I have brought two to three basses to certain gigs, but I have never really needed more than one.
I will bring them to play them and to get different sounds.

Like I will bring my G&L L-2000, a jazz bass and a Hofner copy for the Beatles set.

I can tell you that in 41 years of bassplaying, I have never broken a striing while playing. I mean never.

The main reasons I see for breaking bass strings is being too aggressive while slapping or picking a string.
I have had a string lose its outer winding because it was cut incorrectly while being installed on the bass.

The other mail reason is tuning the string too high. I had a guitar teacher go through 4 g strings on a student's bass before I checked the tuning -he was tuinng a bass an octave too high.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:50 am

bassman wrote:I have brought two to three basses to certain gigs, but I have never really needed more than one.
I will bring them to play them and to get different sounds.

Like I will bring my G&L L-2000, a jazz bass and a Hofner copy for the Beatles set.

I can tell you that in 41 years of bassplaying, I have never broken a striing while playing. I mean never.

The main reasons I see for breaking bass strings is being too aggressive while slapping or picking a string.
I have had a string lose its outer winding because it was cut incorrectly while being installed on the bass.

The other mail reason is tuning the string too high. I had a guitar teacher go through 4 g strings on a student's bass before I checked the tuning -he was tuinng a bass an octave too high.

I have also NEVER broken a string, albeit my timeline is 1/4 yours (oooold :P). I have a very aggressive finger style when I need it, have also done the slap and pop stuff in the past (never stuck with, not my style). I put a lot of emphasis into finger dynamics though, so my picking is from soft to brutal.