Lunch Pawn Shop Report - Sept 30, 2022

Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:53 pm

Howdy folks, been a while on the road and just now checking back in.

Today's lunch was smoked turkey, just smoked turkey. Had to eat on the run so it's all I could manage.
I'll make up for it at supper. :D

Today I have a treat for you (and for me), a local pawn shop find that happens maybe once every 10 years.

Around here in Colorado I just don't see many G&Ls, although my local Music Go Round has a nice USA Asat I've been eyeing...
So I stopped into a popular pawn shop that sits on a very busy corner, expecting nothing but black Squiers, as usual.
Paper sign taped to the door said 'Guitars 10% off', "cool" I thought, "that's starting off right..."

I spotted that gold G&L lettering across the shop, easy to see on a Bright Screaming Red headstock.
The next thing I saw was the price tag, $648....and my heart started beating faster.

Imagesc3 headstock by Jack Breeding, on Flickr
Yep, it's an SC-3.

ImageSC3 Body by Jack Breeding, on Flickr
Man that thing is red!

The tired guy behind the counter told me it had no case, trem arm was lost - all I was buying was the guitar. The price was so low, around $580, that I didn't really care but I had to ask.
I looked it over in detail. Aside from some honest wear here and there this is a closet queen - probably taken out only rarely.

Turns out he was mistaken though - they had a case for it, the trem arm, the owner's manual and the warranty card!
Imagesc3 in case by Jack Breeding, on Flickr

I don't know much about cases so I'm unsure if this is original or not.
There don't appear to be any markings on it. no big deal either way. It's got some mileage on it but it still latches.

It plays really well, although it's in need of a decent setup. Next to zero fret wear.
Neck date 12/15/87 and Body date of 12/11/87.
ImageSC3 Neck date by Jack Breeding, on Flickr
Imagebody date by Jack Breeding, on Flickr

It wasn't in the Registry so I got the honor of recording it. Only thing I'm not sure of is the body wood.
It's light, def less than 8lbs but the entire thing is coated in (nitro) blinding red paint so I can only look at it so long without eye protection...

How did I do?

TJ

Re: Lunch Pawn Shop Report - Sept 30, 2022

Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:51 pm

Great deal, beautiful guitar, they don’t make’em like that anymore! Bet it’s got serious mojo.
Last edited by john o on Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:27 pm

Nice score! :thumbup: :thumbup:

The body and headstock color is Rampage Red, see: Album: 1987 SC-3 Ad Slick.
The case looks to be original, see: Album: 1985-87 Transitional Student Model Case.

Hope this helps.

Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:42 pm

Thanks to you both.

Appreciate the info Craig - I see you corrected the color in my database entry, thanks!
Makes sense. Something THIS red needs a name like Rampage.

TJ

Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:01 pm

TexasJack wrote:Thanks to you both.

Appreciate the info Craig - I see you corrected the color in my database entry, thanks!
Makes sense. Something THIS red needs a name like Rampage.

TJ

It was called Rampage Red because it was the solid red finish used on the G&L Rampage guitar, See: Album: 9-1-85 G&L Price List.

Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:28 am

Sweet find! :clap: I guess I shouldn't have given up on pawnshops...

Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:57 am

Hey TexasJack,

Great score!! :alright: Timing is everything for sure, and with used G&L prices going up you were definitely at the right place at the right time. She looks very clean and a trem arm but is easy replacement.

Play her loud and often! :thumbup:

Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:44 pm

tomanche wrote:Sweet find! :clap: I guess I shouldn't have given up on pawnshops...

It's not something I do often but something told me to give it a try today.
I could hit pawn shops (and probably will) for years and find nothing...

TJ