Lunch report 80322

Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:17 pm

Greetings, Lunch today was pancakes and eggs with my wife, daughter and her children, 4 y/o girl and 1 y/o boy. Special!

I'm feeling high and joyful after playing some music with 2 friends tonight. Our band is getting ready for a couple gigs this Fall, but only 3 of 8 could make the rehearsal tonight, everyone else is away or busy. No problem. Tonight the ASAT special I refer to as "Belair" was helping me out. It's a 2017 with OLS body, rosewood fretboard and jumbo frets, modern classic neck, 9.5 radius. This guitar is bright and jangly with wonderful tones and playability. Quite satisfying to play.
What have you been playing recently? Is there a G&L guitar that inspires your creativity?

I'm always listening to new stuff, but I read that Yes' Close to the Edge has turned 50 this year. I always felt this was a divinely inspired record, 1st listened to it around 1980 and was always blown away by the complexity and the beauty of this music. I gave it a spin tonight, 1st time in a long time, same reaction.
Have you listened to something recently that you thought was profound, recent or remote?

I had the pleasure to catch what is, regretably, the final Chesapeake Bay Blues Festival in late May. This was their 24th year and the organizers have decided to hang it up for various reasons. This year I got to hear the North Mississippi Allstars, who were really totally different from any flavor of blues that I have heard before. I have been checking out some of their catalog recently and was particularly impressed by "Shake hands with Shorty" their grammy-nominated debut from 2001. Luther Dickinson and his brother Cody (drummer) and their friends deliver a version of blues that is refreshing and entertaining.
Have you seen any artists live recently who surprised or inspired you?

regards,

Re: Lunch report 80322

Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:49 am

I had lunch for the first time in a long time. Leftover beef stew made with kale, smothered in parmesan cheese. Normally I just drink water for 'lunch'.

A relatively recent song that summed up a feeling about the state of politics of late - Know it All by JD Simo.

I just got a new guitar that is inspiring me to no end. It is a 2022 ASAT Classic Bluesboy. I ordered it in Pearl Grey with a black pic guard. Pearl Grey is not a standard color for this model, but G&L graciously agreed to finish it this way. It is a standard color for the V12 line. Now that I know Picasso, I can pick up my grey guitar and play....

At a recent Blues Fireman's Benefit in Mishiwaka, IN. I had the pleasure of seeing Howard and the White Boys. An excellent band with two incredible guitarists.

Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:57 am

Thanks for the lunch report. I've been a big fan of Yes since the early '70s and Close to the Edge is my favorite of their albums. I saw them perform "Tales from Topographic Oceans" in maybe 1976. They had a circular stage that rotated. It would go in one direction for a while then reverse to unwind all the cables. Must have been a nightmare to maintain. Lately I "rediscovered" Pink Floyd "Pulse" remastered on Blu Ray. This version of the band is without Roger Waters. Gilmour's playing on "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" is absolutely hypnotizing. It can be found on YouTube if you want to give it a listen.

Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:28 pm

SUaPYG wrote:It is a 2022 ASAT Classic Bluesboy. I ordered it in Pearl Grey with a black pic guard. Pearl Grey is not a standard color for this model, but G&L graciously agreed to finish it this way. It is a standard color for the V12 line.

I think you are confusing the Fullerton Deluxe model with the Option Order (aka Build to Order) model. Pearl Grey, which G&L calls it Grey Pearl on the Standard finishes chart, but then calls it
Pearl Grey on most of the G&L facebook pages of instruments with the Grey Pearl finish. I have pointed this out to one of my G&L contacts (who also does the G&L website) but they continue using both names. I have just listed this color as Grey Pearl (aka Pearl Grey) on the Current G&L Specifications and Options links and in the G&L Registry.

I'd be interested in seeing the back of the headstock to see if it says "Fullerton Deluxe" above the serial number or the serial number with "Fullerton, California" below the serial number.
Don't forget to add it to our G&L Registry, too.

Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:03 pm

Hey john,

Day late and a $1 short but will add a little leftovers from yer lunch. First thanks for keeping the LR going. :thumbup:

Great to hear the band is playing and good times with friends. A Belair ASAT makes that so much easier! This may give incentive to play with a buddy down the street for neighborhood get together. Lately I’ve spent more time with the new ASAT 50 and totally digging the options from the circuits.

Been a Yes fan off and on for years. Fragile and Roundabout in the 70’s for sure and introduced me to the wonders of Steve Howe, 90215 with Trevor Rabin’s killer licks and return of Jon Anderson brought me back in the fold. Also was following Asia at the time so Yes was in the mix. Close to the Edge definitely a classic. Only saw them in 2014 but introduced my oldest daughter to the music and guitar playing son to Steve Howe, big win for all! Daughter still wears her Yes tour shirt. :happy0065: Nothing profound lately but the ASAT 50 has inspired more jangly/picking music from the Byrds to Haggard to Gin Blossoms to Jayhawks.

Glad you got to see the Chesapeake Bay Blues Festival. If you have opportunity the Delta Blues Festival in Greenville MS is a winner. Or it was MANY moons ago when I went. Youngest daughter and I saw Luke Combs with 3 other bands last weekend and was pleasantly surprised by Zach Bryan. Old country, fiddle/pedal steel/not “bro country”. Daughter knew most songs from all; Combs, Cody Johnson, Zach Bryan and Morgan Wade. Broke now because ticket prices are insane! :shocked028: but inspired to sharpen my chickin pickin skills!

Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:17 am

Craig wrote:
SUaPYG wrote:It is a 2022 ASAT Classic Bluesboy. I ordered it in Pearl Grey with a black pic guard. Pearl Grey is not a standard color for this model, but G&L graciously agreed to finish it this way. It is a standard color for the V12 line.

I think you are confusing the Fullerton Deluxe model with the Option Order (aka Build to Order) model. Pearl Grey, which G&L calls it Grey Pearl on the Standard finishes chart, but then calls it
Pearl Grey on most of the G&L facebook pages of instruments with the Grey Pearl finish. I have pointed this out to one of my G&L contacts (who also does the G&L website) but they continue using both names. I have just listed this color as Grey Pearl (aka Pearl Grey) on the Current G&L Specifications and Options links and in the G&L Registry.

I'd be interested in seeing the back of the headstock to see if it says "Fullerton Deluxe" above the serial number or the serial number with "Fullerton, California" below the serial number.

Back of headstock lists serial number CLF2206199 with Fullerton, California below that.
Build sheet lists the color as Pearl Grey. Body is Alder with a rear contour.
I have entered it into the registry.

Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:08 am

SUaPYG wrote:
Craig wrote:

Back of headstock lists serial number CLF2206199 with Fullerton, California below that.

That would mean your guitar was a Build to Order model.
I am not seeing S/N CLF2206199 in the G&L Registry, though.

Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:46 am

Craig wrote:
SUaPYG wrote:
Craig wrote:

That would mean your guitar was a Build to Order model.
I am not seeing S/N CLF2206199 in the G&L Registry, though.

Well I did register it as soon as I got it, but you are correct it was not showing in the registry. I must have not entered it correctly. I re- entered it today so hopefully it shows up. :)

Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:25 am

SUaPYG, thx for the tips on JD Simo, and Howard and the White Boys. I think Keith Richards had it right with the neck 'bucker/Tele thing. The bluesboy captures that nicely, i have one with a duncan S Lover pup, black limba top and rear mount controls that i stumbled on for an amazing price a few years back. Its "between" sounds in the middle position are unique and make that one a keeper. It's also very light.

Tooslowhand, I saw Yes in the round in '79 in Philly for the Tormato tour. That was like a religious experience, and remains a top 5'er for me. I've seen other iterations of Yes over the years but that one was the best. I'll check out the Floyd/Crazy Diamond vid on youtube, thx for that tip.

Sam, i'm sure the ASAT 50 experience has been refreshing, that was a good find! I was also a Trevor Rabin fan in the '80's and got to see him on the Big Generator tour. Amazing player, fast (!), way different than Steve Howe in alot of ways. He must have rubbed off, my youngest son is Trevor! Thx for the Delta Blues Miss tip. We go to a variety of blues festivals, a friend of mine who is a harp player recommended one in Memphis, but the Mississippi mud has spawned alot of great music and with my recent interest in NMA, we may have to make the trek.