TGIF Lunch Report - Friday, 7/30/2010

Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:01 am

Lunch

Lunch will be mini ravioli and a can of Coke. I'll probably snack on pistachios and dried mango too.

My Instruments

A few years ago I started reading the buzz about Melancon guitars. I decided that I want to try one if the opportunity presents itself, as it would be my first boutique guitar. In 2008 I saw one available on the Gear Page and made the deal to get it. The original owner's setup was way different than how I liked it so I spent a few days adjusting it until it was comfortable for me to play and pickups lowered until they sounded right. The guitar turned out to be light weight, and played and sounded great after I was through setting it up. And the Kinmans on the guitar are absolutely quiet. Now it is a regular in my rotation.

I wasn't really even looking for another guitar when I found a 1990 SC-3 on our local Craigslist late last year. Many have heard the background story to this instrument already so all I want to add is that because it has a great, great neck this is becoming one of my favorite guitars to play. The downside is that in certain environments the single coils are a bit noisy.

Economy Affecting Your Gear Habit

I have to say I'm much more wary about spending money on gear than I was a few years ago. Opening my 401K and my children's 529 monthly statements and seeing the total drop almost month by month is just unsettling. It is also apparent that other people are behaving the same way. Over the last few months I have tried to sell off several pieces of gear on Craigslist and have gotten not even a nibble on anything. This is in constrast to a few years back when I did not have any problems selling off stuff I no longer need.

So has the current economy affected your gear habits buying and selling?

Songwriters Hall Of Fame

I am guessing that there is such a thing as Songwriters Hall Of Fame. If you were to pick nominees whom would you recommend for the Hall?

I've got a couple of easy choices: Lennon/McCartney and Elvis Costello. If I were to go more obscure I would go with : Roland Orzabal (Tears For Fears) and Neil Finn.

Thank you for the opportunity to host lunch reports this week. I've had fun and I hope you did too.

Kit

Re: TGIF Lunch Report - Friday, 7/30/2010

Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:31 am

I dig that Melancon. One of those may be in my future too... So, a little shielding cannot help on your SC-3?

The economy has curbed my GAS w/ instruments I really don't need. I'm old enough to know my style and preference, so my current stable is sufficient... for now.

"Elvis Costello"? You know he actually doesn't write most of his stuff. I didn't know either until I did a little digging. Great guy, voice, presence, etc. For me: Burt Bacharach, Willie Nelson, Pete Seeger, Jeff Buckley and too many more...

Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:27 pm

Songwriters Hall Of Fame

John Hiatt is one of the greatest songwriters out there in my opinion. Countless songs covered by others.

Also don't forget Chuck Berry, the greatest "Rock and Roll Poet". Revisit some of his lyrics.................Nadine, Let it Roll, Johnny B Good, etc.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:58 pm

Chuck Berry. One of the reasons I like "Up In Smoke" so much. Great opening number for a Cheech & Chong...

Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:07 pm

Kit wrote:Songwriters Hall Of Fame

I am guessing that there is such a thing as Songwriters Hall Of Fame. If you were to pick nominees whom would you recommend for the Hall?

I've got a couple of easy choices: Lennon/McCartney and Elvis Costello. If I were to go more obscure I would go with : Roland Orzabal (Tears For Fears) and Neil Finn.

Thank you for the opportunity to host lunch reports this week. I've had fun and I hope you did too.

Kit

Great job with the lunch reportage this week, Kit!

Yeah, I'm with you all the way on L/M and EC --- Elvis C is one of my favorites, along with Dylan, Morrissey/Marr, Colin Meloy, Jeff Tweedy, Jagger/Richards, Hendrix, Paul Westerberg, Will Sheff, Townshend, Lou Reed, Ray Davies, DAVE Davies (he didn't write much, but the Kinks songs that he wrote are just superb), John Lee Hooker, Prince, Ted Leo, Willie Nelson to name but a very few.

replyman wrote:"Elvis Costello"? You know he actually doesn't write most of his stuff. I didn't know either until I did a little digging. Great guy, voice, presence, etc.

It's true the guy has covered his fair share of songs --- he is a music enthusiast after all --- but he is a songwriter, and one of the best. He is known for his songwriting. Dylan covers songs all the time too. He wrote all of his famous stuff, with the exception of "What's So Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding," which was written by Nick Lowe (another great songwriter). He cowrote "Veronica" with Sir Paul.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:23 pm

suave eddie wrote:Also don't forget Chuck Berry, the greatest "Rock and Roll Poet". Revisit some of his lyrics.................Nadine, Let it Roll, Johnny B Good, etc.

Suave Eddie is correct! Chuck Berry... AND Buddy Holly are without a doubt in any songwriter's hall of fame!

Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:28 pm

Really nice guitars!

For songwriting, I add the names of Gordon Lightfoot, Paul Simon, Carol King. And then there's the Barry Mann-Cynthia Weil duo that wrote so many top hits in the '60s--and there's also the Motown writing team: Berry Gordy, et. al. Jagger and Richards have certainly produced some memorable hits, but they never get mentioned.

Certainly the economy has affected my buying habits. I've put off some purchases of some mid-priced items. I still scan Craigslist for bargains, but I have very little cash to spend. Missed a $1200 ES-335 the other day, darn!

Selling is hard, too. Like you Kit, I have some items to sell, but haven't had a lot of success on Craigslist. If you follow it, you start seeing the same stuff over and over. I finally quit posting; but in a week or so, I will start up again. I have some accessories, a couple of amps, a couple of guitars, some tubes, some PA gear, etc. that I need to get rid of. Hopefully, things will get better.

Good job on the Lunch Reports!

Bill

Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:11 pm

El Fug wrote:
replyman wrote:"Elvis Costello"? You know he actually doesn't write most of his stuff. I didn't know either until I did a little digging. Great guy, voice, presence, etc.

It's true the guy has covered his fair share of songs --- he is a music enthusiast after all --- but he is a songwriter, and one of the best. He is known for his songwriting. Dylan covers songs all the time too. He wrote all of his famous stuff, with the exception of "What's So Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding," which was written by Nick Lowe (another great songwriter). He cowrote "Veronica" with Sir Paul.

when I first read replyman's response I thought he meant EC claimed credit for stuff he did not write, with your explanation I understand he meant that he covered other people's songs. I know that well, since I'm aware of "What's So Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding" and "My Funny Valentine," just for starters.

I am also a big fan of EC, that is why the hobby band plays several of his songs: we do "Pump It Up" and we segue from that into "The Angels Want To Wear My Red Shoes." We also play "Girls Talk," and we recently added "Peace, Love and Understanding" (written by Nick Lowe but made more famous by EC). And this weekend we are going to run through "Veronica" to see how well we can do it.

My pick for Songwriters Hall is based not only on someone having written terrific songs, but also on the volume of great songs the person has produced. There are obviously many, many such writers. I just wanted to get the ball rolling and see what other names come up. I have to admit that although I have heard of some of the names mentioned I'm not familiar with the songs they've written, that is homework I should do.

Kit

Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:51 pm

Have to throw in a couple of other names for the SWHOF: Robbie Robertson, the triplet of Joe Ely, Townes van Zandt, and Steve Earle. And Kate Bush, lovely Kate ....

Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:13 pm

Yeah, that is what I meant. He really makes every song his own with that unique read and pronounced vocal inflection...

Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:39 pm

Gotta add Zevon to the Songwriters list. Cat Stevens, Jim Croce, Ian Anderson, Mike Mills (REM), Nick Drake, Neil Young. Lightfoot was a great suggestion! What about Richard Thompson? So, so many....

Always wanted to try a Melancon. I've watched them on eBay for years. Always wondered how they would compare to Anderson, Grosh, Suhr.... Make mine T-Style!

Great week, Kit. Enjoyed your photos! - ed

Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:13 pm

I have to mention one more songwriter: Graham Gouldman! If you were around during the 60s you will know the songs he wrote. If you're wondering who he is, pull up the Wikipedia page on him and you will say "Damn, how come I never knew his name?"

Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:04 am

And still, anybody, including myself mind you, forgot to mention the duo of Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller. And what would modern day music be without them?

Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:23 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:And still, anybody, including myself mind you, forgot to mention the duo of Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller. And what would modern day music be without them?

http://www.leiberstoller.com/