Lunch Report - July 8, 2022

Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:16 am

Greetings Programs! (name the movie...)

Beautiful day here in Sunny Colorado and an early lunch for your intrepid reporter, on account of the fact that I got up at 4am to attend an international Zoom call. :P

Peanut butter and banana sandwich along with a large hot coffee. Fortification to get me to quitting time.

Today let's talk about stomp boxes. Here are a few suggestions...

What's your favorite - the one you could never do without?

Which one was the biggest disappointment, or said another way, which one did you used to love but now never gets used?

Here are a couple of old-timers that I just can't let go of.
I love them both for great tone and nostalgia. I don't gig so they're still fresh as daisies.
ImageBBEs by Jack Breeding, on Flickr

I've also just ordered a Fjord Bifrost Fuzz - a nuclear shoegazing box from Norway. I'll post a review when it arrives. :D

Until next time,

Bon appetit!

TJ

Re: Lunch Report - July 8, 2022

Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:13 pm

Every time I look at Sweetwater for a pedal, there's like 250,000 of them and I go into vapor lock trying to figure out what to get. So I just throw up my hands and plug straight into the amp. I have a couple of kits from Stewmac I use. One is an 808 overdrive clone and the other is a Clon Minotaur clone. I like them. I paint the cases and put decals on them to name them after my dogs.

Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:56 pm

Greetings TJ! No clue on the movie

No lunch today, cup of tea and work away.

Love them stomp boxes and with ya on the BBE pedals, Mind Bender is on my board often. Have a Bench Press I like but need to get a short fixed. A handful of others make rotation as well, 427 and Two - Timer I like a lot.

Can’t live without my old ProCo Rat, BBE Sonic Stomp, Westminster Calvin Compressor and a delay (MXR Carbon Copy or TC Electronics Flashback)

The ones collecting dust are the MXR Comp Deluxe and a Keeley GC-2. Have a few compressors, so who knows the Dyna Comp may find its way back, unless I get the Bench Press fixed or replaced.

Will look up the Fjord pedals now :searching:

great stuff th kid week, cheers! :happy0065:

Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:42 am

Tooslowhand wrote:Every time I look at Sweetwater for a pedal, there's like 250,000 of them and I go into vapor lock trying to figure out what to get. So I just throw up my hands and plug straight into the amp. I have a couple of kits from Stewmac I use. One is an 808 overdrive clone and the other is a Clon Minotaur clone. I like them. I paint the cases and put decals on them to name them after my dogs.

I hear ya - the honest truth is that every maker has to have a full line of effects - a 'green' overdrive, comp, fuzz/distortion, etc - but there are only so many ways to torture the signal and so most of these are just copies of each other. It's a rare day that I hear something 'new' in the world of pedals.

I've found Youtube and specifically 'Anderton's' music store vids to be very helpful and even entertaining in figuring out what sounds I might like to try. They're an English shop and have many (hundreds?) of vids where the guys just plug in and experiment. It's fun to watch and they come up with some great ideas. That's where I heard the Fjord pedals for the first time and just had to get one to try for myself.

Re: Sonic Stomp - yeah Sam, I need to get one of those. Like queso, I've heard it just makes everything better. :D

Have a great weekend folks,
TJ