Lunch Report - July 6, 2022

Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:00 pm

Happy Belated Independence Day my Fellow Americans!

And if you're British, well, just be glad you're rid of us. We're a bit of a mess at the moment. :D

Today's lunch is hot dogs with yellow mustard, sweet relish and onion along with ice cold watermelon. I actually didn't get enough on the 4th so a reprise was called for.

Today's topic is Single Coils vs P90s vs Humbuckers....sort of.

Each of these pups plays its role and does it well, hence why they exist.
However in the quest for the perfect tone there's infinite variation and speaking for myself that tone preference changes depending on my mood.

Personally I can make a case for just about all possible scenarios but if I had to choose one it'd be the HH dual humbucker with split coil option.
That covers the majority of what I play or like to play.

So, what's your dream pup configuration? SSS, HSS, HSH, HH, SS, S - something P90ish?

Until next time, Bon appetit!

TJ

Re: Lunch Report - July 6, 2022

Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:26 pm

Hi TJ!

Thanks for the LR, I missed the last one of yours will play catch up soon.

I married a Brit, now a full US citizen, but we always have fun with the obvious options on the 4th. Moved to the states when young so she’s been fully “Americanized”! Her parents still sound like they just stepped off the boat. :lol:

Lunch for me was a bagel in an airport.

Gotta say I’m more of a single coil guy, big MFD’s, Z coils, MFD’s and alnico would be first choice. Z coils are probably my fave with big MFD’s a close behind. Favorite has to be Will Ray Z coil bridge with Z coil neck, followed by WR bridge and big MFD neck, then maybe a MFD ASAT Super setup. Jerry Donahue single setup is a lot of fun.

Have a couple of Humbucker set ups. Dimarzio’s are my favorite hummers. ASAT Deluxe with Evolution bridge and Air Norton neck.
Norton splits quite well.

Hard to pick a dream set up. An ASAT WR with Comanche VI switching would be closest to dream setup. Still want to try an ASAT Cat setup with ASAT Super bridge, CLF middle and MFD neck just because never played one before. Always on my wish list is a ASAT HB Custom creation. Still waiting to see one of these on flea bay or Reverb.

Great stuff TJ, thanks for keeping the Lunch Report rolling. :thumbup:

Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:14 pm

Wow, TJ, thx for the lunch report!
I had a tossed salad, some mystery taco meat that I’m sure raised my cholesterol, 2 jalapeño poppers and some corn chowder for lubrication. I had to wait 12 hrs for a marguerita to wash it down, but it was worth waiting for.

Like Sam, I have a number of likes in the pickup department but I tend to think of pickup du jour these days!
I have my fav’s which include the z coils on my Comanche, the large coil MFD’s on my Asat specials, and the single coil mfd’s on my ‘84 Skyhawk and my ‘88 Interceptor.

However, I also enjoy alnico pups, recently acquired a used CS ‘60 Custom Tele with ‘63 pups, have an SG with p90’s (1 is a lollar), and a firebird with mini- hum’s. All sound wonderful to my ears. I seem to appreciate the tones and colors of the single coils best, but I have some nice humbucker gtrs as well. To me i really think it depends on the day.

One thing is for sure, if I have a gig, I take the Comanche and one of the asat specials, no hesitation. These are proven superior to me for performance. Regards,

Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:35 am

Good stuff gents. Comanche consistently gets praise - there must be something to that.

John o - Once upon a time I also owned a blonde signature '84 Skyhawk, a beautiful tone master that was much better than I was at the time. I hope she's in a good home these days.

TJ