Join me at the lunch counter - Wednesday 7/28/2010

Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:43 am

Lunch

I have to thank my wife for making me a tuna sandwich for lunch today. I'll have that and a Coca Cola.

Travel Picture

My Instruments

By 2005 I have my complement of single coil and humbucker guitars, but I was interested in getting a semi-hollow jazz box type instrument. I kept my eye on Craigslist and one day I saw a Heritage H535 advertised for a very good price. I went and checked it out and found the guitar was close to perfect, but the case was not original and a bit beat up. The price was too good to pass up so I bought it. The person selling it was a local jazz musician and along with the guitar he gave me a couple of his CDs. He also showed me his studio where he does his composing for commercial projects. Turned out he had done some music for TV shows and even composed for movies. It was interesting to see his setup with his video monitor since timing the music to the action on a screen is essential for this kind of work.

I wanted to get a 'true' jazz sound out of the guitar and put flatwound strings on the H535. Bending is a bitch (but you don't bend much in jazz, do you?) but the smoothness of the strings make it cool to play. I've since read that lots of people choose to install other pickups rather than the Schallers which usually come with the H535 but I'm happy enough with its sound to keep them on.

After getting the Heritage my interest turned to acquiring a decent acoustic. Somewhat inflenced by Brian Tysinger who used to visit the old board I eventually bought a used Santa Cruz D/PW. It is actually the most money I've ever spent on a guitar. It does sound gorgeous, but I do have to admit I'm not an acoustics player and have generally not given enough attention to this fine instrument. I have even thought about selling it since it deserves to be played more than it is getting played.

Finding New Music

Last week El Fug (Scott) touched on how hard it is to find new music. That is really an irony seeing that the Internet makes everything available to everyone all the time, but I also believe that the shear volume of stuff out there is part of the problem: it's like finding the needle in a haystack. My teenage children will sometimes tell me songs and artists they like, but mainly I find my new music through the Internet. I read a fair amount of Internet threads on music and if something sounds interesting I either follow a link or Google to see if I can find some samples of the music mentioned. It is hit and miss, but sometimes I do find interesting music which then may lead me to other music. I also have found new music through Pandora. I have created a handful of Pandora channels and through them I have found a number of artists whose music I enjoy and have since bought.

With cheap recording technology today it is possible to create good sounding recordings with just a few hundred dollars of equipment at home, the problem is getting yourself heard if you are seeking the exposure. Your music can easily be drowned out by the hundreds of thousands of other people putting their music online.

Beauty Or The Beast (of an Instrument)

There are many outstanding features from the lines of G&L guitars. If you were to combine all your favorite features from G&L, what would you have come up with? Does it turn out to be something that's already in the catalog, or do you have the next G&L hit machine to be unleashed on the guitar-buying public?

Kit

Re: Join me at the lunch counter - Wednesday 7/28/2010

Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:55 am

I love tuna but I really go for that cheap Resers stuff. Brings back memories of the institutional tuna I ued to get for lunch in High School. My sister-in-law works for Coca Cola. You do not want to mess with that company.

My wife and daughter along with my wife's mom and sisters took one of those kid friendly cruises down to Mexico last May. I stayed home with the dogs and went to work. The only thing I asked her for was some Cuban cigars. Apparently if I lived in Texas (where the ship docked on its return trip) or Canada it would not be a problem but oh, no it ain't allowed elsewhere.

I like them Heritage guitars. I also like the fact that they are made in the old Daylight Plant - alot of guitar history in that place. Never played a Santa Cruz but lost of folks like them. I am pretty set in my ways and have an addiction to old school Gibson tone (which means old Gibson acoustics).

Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:50 am

zombywoof wrote:My wife and daughter along with my wife's mom and sisters took one of those kid friendly cruises down to Mexico last May. I stayed home with the dogs and went to work. The only thing I asked her for was some Cuban cigars. Apparently if I lived in Texas (where the ship docked on its return trip) or Canada it would not be a problem but oh, no it ain't allowed elsewhere.

It was explained to all the cruise passengers that we cannot bring anything made in Cuba back with us. This man was set up for business in Roatan, an island off the Honduras coast, and the cigars clearly stated as Honduran. He was rolling them when he wasn't dealing with customers. Since I don't indulge I can't tell you whether they are any good, but he certainly had a steady stream of customers.

Kit

Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:18 pm

I really like that photo, Kit. Kinda wish there were a dog sleeping at the vendor's feet rather than that plastic bag there, though...

My brother has a mid-eighties ES-335 Dot Reissue (whatever that means) and I've played it from time to time. Looks quite similar to your guitar, actually (except the finish) but it strikes me as more of a versatile rock machine than a jazz anything. Maybe if I could play some jazz, I'd change my tune (pun intended). Ha!

That acoustic looks beautiful. Bet she sounds great too. How much you want for her? ;+) - ed

Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:56 pm

zapcosongs wrote:I really like that photo, Kit. Kinda wish there were a dog sleeping at the vendor's feet rather than that plastic bag there, though...

That's what photoshop is for! It can even be a sleeping crocodile.

Here's another shot of the cigar seller. Still can't get rid of the cursed plastic bag, they're everywhere!

Kit

Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:01 pm

Okay, let's see what you can do with Photoshop! I'm thinking maybe a rabid hyena.... - ed

;+)