LUNCH REPORT for Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:42 am

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Today's Lunch Report!!! Starring... El Fug!

First off, I want to apologize to the East Coasters among us for being so late with my lunch report each day. I've gotten into this routine where I stay up till 3:00 in the morning and wake up at around 10:00. So I guess if you live on the East Coast you can consider this your afternoon tea report.

Lunch today will probably be a pepper steak sandwich from this little sub joint in Burbank called Giamela's. I like to get the pepper steak and cheese with everything --- "everything" consisting of salt/pepper, oil/vinegar, tomatoes, onions and diced pickles. And I like to eat this with a bag of nacho cheese Doritos and a Coca-Cola. These are good, serviceable sandwiches, and pretty cheap.

I live very close to Langer's Deli, which is celebrated by its devotees (including LA's own Pulitzer-winning food writer Jonathan Gold) as serving up the best pastrami sandwiches in the galaxy --- better even than Katz's in Manhattan. New Yorkers don't like to hear this, but LA really has the best Jewish delis going (and, for that matter, if you include the San Gabriel Valley, Chinese food).

------

Let's talk about Lady Gaga, shall we? I first heard of her while flipping through the channels and landing on MTV's Music Awards program sometime last year. She was talked about as if she had conquered the world three times over, and yet, I had literally never heard of her. I know that this is largely due to my being in my 30s and out of touch and stuff, but I do think that this is also due to the new decentralized model for entertainment.

So, what do you think? Any thoughts on Lady Gaga? More importantly, where do you find out about music? Do you have websites that you frequent? Do you have friends who are "in the know"? Do you even listen to new music? I'm really curious to hear what you have to say.

Oh, and my main thought on Lady Gaga is, she seems to be aping Madonna a little too closely for my taste, albeit with some generational changes. She also isn't very good-looking, which is something that I actually like about her --- or, rather, I like that she is so successful despite not being a Beyonce-like beauty.

------

G&L Content: I would just like to say that I love my Comanche so much! It sounds so incredible --- actually it sounds as if I'm running a Strat through some kind of transparent booster, like the Boosta Grande or something, only I'm not running it through anything! It just sounds better than other guitars --- that's all there is to it.

Here's a question: What archetypal guitar sound is your favorite? Do you like the Tele sound? The Strat sound? The Rickenbacker sound? The Les Paul sound? The 335 sound? The Gretsch sound? What?

Being such a huge Jimi Hendrix fan, I guess I'd have to say that my favorite sound is the Strat sound. Though all the colors of the rainbow are welcome. And with that, if I can get it to work, is a little slice of YouTube heaven.

This track was once a rarity, but now you can listen to it in all of its fun, blistering, psychedelic and meandering ways... right at your computer:

[youtube]goRYGuP4bY4[/youtube]

Enjoy!!!

Re: LUNCH REPORT for Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:01 pm

First off, I want to apologize to the East Coasters among us for being so late with my lunch report each day. I've gotten into this routine where I stay up till 3:00 in the morning and wake up at around 10:00. So I guess if you live on the East Coast you can consider this your afternoon tea report.

I drink my central Canada (Ontario) coffee as you say this, stop spying on me!

So, what do you think? Any thoughts on Lady Gaga? More importantly, where do you find out about music? Do you have websites that you frequent? Do you have friends who are "in the know"? Do you even listen to new music? I'm really curious to hear what you have to say.

I hear that stuff on the radio at the gym, not my cup of tea. What she does have going for her is she is actually writing the music, making the sets, performing etc. What she lost along the way was her sanity, and she gave up good music. There are some piano and voice stuff she does, but it is not what made her famous, she has a really good voice. Pokerface is all I can find at the moment, I can't do that magic embed thing like you can though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM_DtHIRJcA . Overall I couldn't care less about her or her career. I like 70s rock, and metal, and I like it ballsy.

Here's a question: What archetypal guitar sound is your favorite? Do you like the Tele sound? The Strat sound? The Rickenbacker sound? The Les Paul sound? The 335 sound? The Gretsch sound? What?

I don't really think about this at all. I don't listen to old Rush and think wow ES-335 through a recto, or whatnot. I play a H-H superstrat. The Rickenbacker sound is something I guess I gravitate to for bass playing though. Not because I am particularly fond of it, but because I love the mid punch it gets. So I dial in a lot of punch when playing, and may be accused of chasing the rick sound. I tend to think that the people behind the guitar are what really give the sound character, and everyone who picks up the same instrument will sound more different that same, due to our differences in attack/fingering.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:27 pm

First, before this Brooklyn born child jumps all over you, I gotta ask. Is your "El Fug" moniker a homage to Ed, Tuli (whom we just sadly just recently lost) and Ken?

OK, what is this LA deli serving up a better pastrami than Katz stuff? I admit ya can't really find a good deli even in the Williamsburg and Boro Park neighbrohoods of Brooklyn any longer. And the best there ever was outside of Brooklyn - Gitilz's is now sadly gone. But NYC still has Arties, the Carnegie Deli, Sarges (still open 24 hours a day I believe), as well as Katz. Never ate at Langers (the last time I was in LA was around 1970) but what I remember is LA was about the only place in the known universe where you can walk in, order a pastrami sandwich and get it served on white bread with mayo.

Now - as to your questions. Lady Gaga - place that one in the "Who Cares" category. New music - The last CD I bought was Dave Alvin's West of the West. About the only new stuff I hear is on Little Steven's Underground Garage.

Quintessential Guitar Sound - not sure but I played a 1950s Tele plugged straight into an amp without a master volume knob for alot of decades so I am guessing I like the way it sounded. But I can make peace with just about any electric. I think these days weight of a guitar is more of an issue for me than sound.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:49 pm

zombywoof wrote:First, before this Brooklyn born child jumps all over you, I gotta ask. Is your "El Fug" moniker a homage to Ed, Tuli (whom we just sadly just recently lost) and Ken?

Actually, no, not a reference to The Fugs, so you can come at me with all your New Yorker fury! I used to work at a sign-making store in Athens, Ga, in the mid-'90s, and one of the popular things to do at that time was to get lettering across the back windshield of your car --- popular with the wannabe gangsta lot anyway. One dude had us write "El Fugitivo" across his windshield, and we all thought it was so funny. That's where "El Fug" comes from.

zombywoof wrote:OK, what is this LA deli serving up a better pastrami than Katz stuff? I admit ya can't really find a good deli even in the Williamsburg and Boro Park neighbrohoods of Brooklyn any longer. And the best there ever was outside of Brooklyn - Gitilz's is now sadly gone. But NYC still has Arties, the Carnegie Deli, Sarges (still open 24 hours a day I believe), as well as Katz. Never ate at Langers (the last time I was in LA was around 1970) but what I remember is LA was about the only place in the known universe where you can walk in, order a pastrami sandwich and get it served on white bread with mayo.

No white bread and mayo at Langer's. Langer's was definitely there in '70. It's been there since the '40s. Remember, LA is the second major population hub for Jews outside of New York. By the way, I love Katz's, and I love the 2nd Avenue Deli, and I used to really love Ratner's. But LA has very excellent delis: Langer's, Art's, Brent's --- I even like Canter's.

zombywoof wrote:Quintessential Guitar Sound - not sure but I played a 1950s Tele plugged straight into an amp without a master volume knob for alot of decades so I am guessing I like the way it sounded. But I can make peace with just about any electric.

I'm guessing I would like the way it sounded too! And I'm with you on making peace with just about anything.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:56 pm

sirmyghin wrote:I tend to think that the people behind the guitar are what really give the sound character, and everyone who picks up the same instrument will sound more different that same, due to our differences in attack/fingering.

I get what you're saying here, sirmyghin, and I agree with you that it's the person behind the guitar; however, suppose the same person plays through the various guitars that I mentioned? There are undoubtedly discrete sonic characteristics intrinsic to each one of them.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:38 pm

I have a couple of teenage children so I do get exposure to pop music. The few songs from Lady Gaga that I've heard are all quite catchy and well written, some with cool lyrics. I have seen her on TV playing piano and singing, and she is a good musician and has a good voice; and I don't see that she is lip-syncing either. I also found out that before she got famous she was hired by a label as a songwriter. So I would say that she is deserving of her fame since she has chops to back it up.

Just because it is pop doesn't mean the artist behind it is not talented. Some other recent pop artist whose music I would buy are Gorillaz, Hockey, and Silversun Pickups.

I don't have a favorite guitar sound mainly because different guitar sounds fit different music. I guess that is also why I have both single coil and humbucker guitars.

Kit

Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:38 pm

There are some combinations that work well, Les Paul into a plexi Marshall, Strat into a Super Reverb, 335 into a Twin, Tele into a '59 Bassman. All classic tones.

I'm totally crazy about the Strat style guitar in Position #2 (bridge+middle). I love my Les Pauls into my Boogies, and my 335 is just a great all round guitar.

And as for delis, I'll take Portland's own Rose's over any I tried in Manhattan. Their Reubens are to die for. BTW, Rose was a New York transplant.

And Chelsea Handler recently ruined Lady Gaga for me, showing a picture of LG with shredded nylons and a pimple on her butt! TMI, but a hysterically funny show.

Bill

Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:06 pm

That pepper steak sandwich sounds excellent, El Fug. Just right for a late lunch, in fact ;+)

Lady Gaga: I was skeptical. I heard about her long before I knew anything about or saw her. I actually do like her attitude. I don't think she takes herself seriously. I picture her laughing herself to sleep. Not a classic beauty, no, but who amongst us is. I think she's almost cool, and I think the Telephone video with Beyonce is funny and a little sexy as well. I'm "eh" with her music, but what the heck..... (btw, I think she's actually making fun of Madonna.)

Favorite guitar sound: Tough one. Geez. You know what I've come to love? The rhythm guitar sound in Weezer's "Island in the Sun." I guess I need to look up the equipment on that one. I've intended to, but.... Oh, and Big MFDs in a maple-bodied Tele-style guitar through pretty much any old Fender amp. That's cool too. LP through a Marshall? Yeah, good too.

Hendrix: Mostly all good. Great, in fact. Give me Jimi, Buddy Miles, and Dem Changes if I can get particular...... - ed

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:53 pm

My Uncle actually told me about Lady Gaga,
I thought he was joking.. then I looked it up and it confirmed what he said a characature of madonna that belongs on SNL...

Favorite guitar sounds is tough.. My Asat special is my GO TO, sounds good with anything guitar. Like a P90 tone but cuts better..

Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:41 pm

Kit wrote:I have a couple of teenage children so I do get exposure to pop music.

But tell me Kit, where do your teenagers get exposed? I'm serious. When I was in high school, MTV was the primary source. I honestly don't know what it might be nowadays. The FM dial? Nah, couldn't be. Could it?

Kit wrote:Just because it is pop doesn't mean the artist behind it is not talented. Some other recent pop artist whose music I would buy are Gorillaz, Hockey, and Silversun Pickups.

Your point is very well taken, though the three artists you cite don't really do much for me. But pop music is my bag. (Here's where conversations often turn into discussions on semantics.) The Beatles, pop. Nirvana, pop. The Strokes, pop. Hank Williams, country pop. George Jones, country pop. Toby Keith, moron of the century! That guy that did the song after 9/11 --- that Forever and Ever Amen jerk --- talentless hack!

Incidentally, a good friend of mine bought the house that the Silversun Pickups used to live in... back when they would make their "Silversun pickups." Silversun is a liquor store on Sunset and Silver Lake Blvd.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:45 pm

Boogie Bill wrote:I'm totally crazy about the Strat style guitar in Position #2 (bridge+middle).

You like 'em quacking then, I see. I didn't really expect the Comanche to quack like a Strat, but in the 2 or 4 positions it sounds just like Gilbert Gottfried.

Boogie Bill wrote:My 335 is just a great all round guitar.

I would love to get my hands on one of these.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:57 pm

zapcosongs wrote:Lady Gaga: Not a classic beauty, no, but who amongst us is.

Of course, Ed. I agree. And, really (contradicting myself), she is quite pretty. She's got a little funny thing going with her eyes though --- perhaps this is partial motivation for her elaborate face-wear, I don't know. I guess I've just grown accustomed to air-brushed mannequins.

zapcosongs wrote:I think she's almost cool, and I think the Telephone video with Beyonce is funny and a little sexy as well.

See, this is what I'm talking about. I don't know anything about a Telephone video. Where do I need to be looking for stuff like this? Obviously I can google it now, but I mean, why am I so far out of the reach of the great tentacled cultural zeitgeist in general?

zapcosongs wrote:Favorite guitar sound: Tough one. Geez. You know what I've come to love? The rhythm guitar sound in Weezer's "Island in the Sun."

You're right. That is a good sound!

Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:01 pm

ChrisPcritter wrote:Favorite guitar sounds is tough.. My Asat special is my GO TO, sounds good with anything guitar. Like a P90 tone but cuts better..

I've only played the ASAT Classic, but, man, those Specials look and sound appealing.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:12 am

El Fug wrote:I live very close to Langer's Deli, which is celebrated by its devotees (including LA's own Pulitzer-winning food writer Jonathan Gold) as serving up the best pastrami sandwiches in the galaxy --- better even than Katz's in Manhattan. New Yorkers don't like to hear this, but LA really has the best Jewish delis going (and, for that matter, if you include the San Gabriel Valley, Chinese food).

I get to LA on occasion, but I have yet to have a sandwich at Langer's Deli. I'll have to try one the next time I'm there.

Let's talk about Lady Gaga, shall we?

I think I'm with Zombywoof on this one.

I like them all, but I've been in a Tele phase for quite some time now. It's what initially attracted me to G&L guitars in the first place, especially with the variety of ASATs that have been available over the years. While I continue to own a Heritage 535 (similar to Gibson ES-335), a Gibson SG, amongst many others, I've been slowly migrating back into the more traditional tone of the Tele, especially the replica vintage stuff that's out there these days. I find it absolutely amazing that many replicas of the old '50's Black Guard-style Tele pickups that are being made today still have every bit as much mojo or moreso than modern-day pickups. When paired with a nice amp, they're tough to beat. Leo & the gang were definitely on to something a long, long time ago.

Being such a huge Jimi Hendrix fan, I guess I'd have to say that my favorite sound is the Strat sound. Though all the colors of the rainbow are welcome. And with that, if I can get it to work, is a little slice of YouTube heaven.

I was a Strat guy for more than 20 years but, for some odd reason, I just can't pick one up anymore. Just last night - and just by chance only - I played a gig with a Stevie Ray Vaughn clone who also had a Strat, and it literally drove me crazy. It's certainly not that I have anything against SRV or Strats in general, but some guys that are primarily influenced by SRV or Hendrix just don't have a clue as to how to play "roots-style" blues with any sense of dynamics. Please don't get me wrong, for I strongly feel that SRV and Hendrix were truly master blues players in their own right with very strong influences within the "roots" blues world, but man....some of those clone guys....just sayin'.

But hey, it's great to see another soul that's nearly on the same schedule as I've been on lately......LOL. Between work and playing music, my schedule has been very chaotic, but I've found somewhat of a happy medium by the hours I now keep. Great week, El Fug! Sorry I haven't been posting more often, but I'm not able to spend much time online lately.

Jim

Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:09 pm

Jim P wrote:I was a Strat guy for more than 20 years but, for some odd reason, I just can't pick one up anymore. Just last night - and just by chance only - I played a gig with a Stevie Ray Vaughn clone who also had a Strat, and it literally drove me crazy. It's certainly not that I have anything against SRV or Strats in general, but some guys that are primarily influenced by SRV or Hendrix just don't have a clue as to how to play "roots-style" blues with any sense of dynamics. Please don't get me wrong, for I strongly feel that SRV and Hendrix were truly master blues players in their own right with very strong influences within the "roots" blues world, but man....some of those clone guys....just sayin'.

I hear you loud and clear on the SRV clones and/or Jimi clones --- and even Albert King clones. The world would be a better place if more wannabes would fashion their playing after some less rambunctious players, like Jimmy Vaughn or Robert Cray or BB King.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:12 am

El Fug wrote:I hear you loud and clear on the SRV clones and/or Jimi clones --- and even Albert King clones. The world would be a better place if more wannabes would fashion their playing after some less rambunctious players, like Jimmy Vaughn or Robert Cray or BB King.

And/or, or all of the above, for one to take the influences of his/her choice and to develop it into a style that's unique upon itself. It becomes much more of a personal choice in this respect, and much more gratifying in the end.