LUNCH REPORT for Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:44 am

Okay, boys and girls, welcome to Day II of the El Fug Lunch Report!

Lunch today is going to be far more exciting than yesterday's PB&J. I am going to do be working out, and then I'm going to eat a massive helping of spaghetti cacio e pepe --- spaghetti with pecorino romano and black pepper. I like to cook up a half pound of the dried pasta at a time, just until it's al dente, then I throw it on the plate on which I've already grated an enormous portion of the cheese and ground a ration of pepper large enough that it could be weaponized. Then I mix it all up, adding some of the starchy pasta water to cream up the texture. Then I eat it to my head along with some boiled green beans in butter. Now that, my friends, is good eats!

------

Yesterday, Zombywoof mentioned that he actually saw The Beatles live. Now that's a rare treat. It started me thinking on the most significant, or most coveted rock show that I've ever been to. And I came up with pretty much zilch. I saw Nirvana at the Fabulous Forum on New Year's in 1993, just a few months before Kurt ate all that buckshot. And I saw The Grateful Dead a couple of months or so before Jerry died. I saw KISS on their Dynasty tour when I was 5, also at the Fabulous Forum. And I've seen Dylan and the Boss and U2 and Prince and REM. And I've seen Jeff Beck and Santana. And I've seen X a number of times. And I saw The Strokes at a small club before they had conquered the world. But I never saw The Ramones. And now they're all dead (save for the drummers). And I never saw The Clash, who were for all intents and purposes before my time. And I've never seen the Stones or the (mostly dead) Who.

So I ask you: What is the most significant rock concert you've ever been to? You know, the one where when you tell people about it you're greeted with gasps.

------

Guitar content: I've never been much of a gear head, really. I played a Japanese Thinline Tele for many years. I used to be the singer and rhythm/lead guitarist in my old band, so I never really concentrated on the guitar parts and sounds that much, as I always had another guitarist to sort of lean on. But I've made a concerted effort over the last couple of years to concentrate on expanding my tonal palette, as I am now the one and only guitarist in my three-piece band. This "concerted effort" is what eventually led me to purchasing the Comanche and to frequenting this website.

I also just recently sold my Thinline. And, get this, I sold it to Henry Thomas, famous for his portrayal of the boy Elliott in Spielberg's ET. He just answered my Craigslist ad and came over and bought it from me. Nice guy.

So to the forum I ask, what is the most memorable instrument transaction that you've made? Any good stories out there?

------

Well, I was going to embed a YouTube video for your enjoyment, but I can't seem to make it work properly. So, that's all for today, folks. Enjoy your Tuesday!

Re: LUNCH REPORT for Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:07 pm

I saw the Ramones twice one summer just a few years before Joey died. I think it was one of their last real tours. They were great and made me wish I'd seen them while Dee Dee was still in the band.

That's sweet that you sold your Thinline to Elliot. I don't think I have any very interesting stories about buying or selling gear. I did, however, recently pick up an F-100 off eBay that was kind of a crap shoot based on the pictures and description. It showed up looking like it might have belonged to Charlie Manson (no surprise due to the photos -- actually a little nicer than I expected), but it plays sweet. Given what I paid, I'm categorizing it as a score.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:53 pm

Most memorable concert - hard to say.

I have seen the Byrds with every lineup from Gene Clark to Clarence White (I was and still am a big fan). I saw Zep in a skating rink in NYC. Saw Jefferson Ariplane more times than I can recall and the Dead while Pigpen was still kicking. I Saw Joplin with Big Brother and a bunch of the blues guys I love so much like Albert King.

Probably though I will have to go with the 1967 Murray the K Easter Show. First, it was Cream's 1st U.S. gig. The show also included the Who (their first U.S. tour), Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels, Wilson Pickett and the Blues Project. The headliner of the show - the Blues Magoos (ya'll remember "We Ain't Got Nothing Yet" - it was a big hit at the time).

Most memorable transaction - when I picked up my 1958 Tele. As a young 'un I could not afford a new Fender but a friend of mine said his father had a used one he would sell me. I recall opening the case and being so disappointed that it was not a Strat. But it was dirt cheap and I could pay it off monthly. I ended up playing that guitar for decades. Folks say they could tell it was my '58 before they entered the room from the sound of the bridge pickup.

Second most memorable - a recently nabbed late 1950s Harmony Sovereign jumbo. Bookmatched spruce top, solid mahogany sides and one piece soild mahogany back (try finding that on a guitar these days at any price). Pinless bridge and shellac finish. Nah, it ain't a vintage Martin D-18 but it will get you into the ballpark. I am still amazed that an acoustic this good could be had for only $100.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:01 pm

I have never been the any 'memorable concerts' grand Scheme wise. My first show was Rush's 30th Anniversary, my second show Sonata Arctica (For the Sake of Revenge Tour), then RUSH S&A (better than R30).

I guess I have one that might make a few old heads turn. I saw Mountain open for Joe Satriani in 08 or 09, forget which. Leslie West and Corky Laing, as well as an excellent young bass player stand in from the Micheal Schenker group. That was pretty cool, and for the Encore Leslie AND Satriani played together, one of the tunes was Going Down (Beck) and that was pretty cool. The man still had an excellent set of pipes, and his soloing style was interesting to say the least.

No real interesting transactions for me.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:27 pm

I haven't been to a lot of concerts. I've seen BB King twice, Robert Cray outdoors at the Chateau Ste. Michelle winery, and took my niece to see David Cassidy at the height of his popularity. (And David was actually pretty good.) But I think my most memorable one was Chicago at Seattle's Coliseum (Key Arena) right before Terry Kath died.

I've had so many interesting gear transactions and great deals that I could write a book. Bought my 1960 Strat in 1972 from a retired Marine gunny who did three tours in Nam. Of course, the once sunburst guitar had been refinished--in dark olive green metallic, a popular Pontiac color of the day. (And apparently VERY popular with Marine gunny sergeants.) Paid him $150.

Bought a nearly brand new long-neck Gibson ES-330 from a heroin addict for $175 in early 1973. Couldn't get out of that house fast enough. Got my Fender Super Champ amp for $65 from a guy who was getting out of the business and moving out of town. Not just dead mint, but it still had the hang tags on it and it had the HD EV speaker. Sold my Acoustic 150 amp and 610 in 1976 to a guy who came over and blasted Mahavishnu licks for 20 minutes before offering his dead mint, less than six months old 1975 Gibson Les Paul '55 Special in trade. I paid $250 for the amp, and the guitar was easily worth six bills. Hell yeah! Got my 1965 Deluxe Reverb back in 1991 from a friend who gave it to me in trade for letting him sleep on my sofa for six weeks.

But I suppose the best story is the the amp I acquired from an elderly black gentleman that I struck up a conversation with while standing at the bus stop. He'd been a radioman in the army in Korea, and we got to talking about tubes. He told me he had this old Fender tube amp that need repair, and If I wanted it, I could come get it for $100. I went to his house and found lthis beautiful blonde, BF Fender Tremolux head and 210 cab--not a mark on it. I offered him more money for it but he would only take the $100.

What's so interesting about this is that I met him on my way back to work from the courthouse--the day my divorce was finalized. It was like God saying, "Well son, you can't have this woman you love, but you can have this." Cost me $150 to fix the amp, but couldn't fix the marriage. Kept the amp for ten years, and it probably hurt me worse to sell the amp, lol! By then though, I was long over her.

And many more stories...

Bill

Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:08 pm

Madcity Fats wrote:I saw the Ramones twice one summer just a few years before Joey died. I think it was one of their last real tours. They were great and made me wish I'd seen them while Dee Dee was still in the band.

Yes, I'm a fool for never having seen them. I don't know what I was thinking!

Madcity Fats wrote:I did, however, recently pick up an F-100 off eBay that was kind of a crap shoot based on the pictures and description. It showed up looking like it might have belonged to Charlie Manson (no surprise due to the photos -- actually a little nicer than I expected), but it plays sweet. Given what I paid, I'm categorizing it as a score.

GOOOOAAAAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice one.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:12 pm

Tim Buffalo Bros wrote:Probably Neil Young on his Freedom Tour. The best thing was he didn't just play the songs from the new album. Instead he presented the audience with what I'd call the Neil Young Experience. Starting Acoustic with Hey Hey My My and doing all the old songs from I am a Child to Heart of Gold. Then he took a break for about 5 minutes and came back opening with an Electric set with My My Hey Hey, Hurricane, etc. Crazy Horse was backing him up and they were all incredibly tight. I very impressed by that.....of course, it didn't hurt I was given the tickets for free and we were 10th row center!

Color me envious, Tim. That sounds incredible. I forgot to mention Neil as yet another artist that I've never seen. And he's one of my all-time favorites too.

Tim Buffalo Bros wrote:Well, it's always easy to think of the "best deal" or the "rarest instrument" that I've found over the years for either myself or the shop. And believe me, there's a bunch of them from over the years! And of course there's my share of ones that are memorable because the instrument sucked and didn't turn out to be what we were told. Yup, I've been snookered before like anyone else! But I would probably lean to the one with the most sentimental attachment ~ which would be one of the ASAT Classic's from Mr. Fullerton's collection. About 6 months after he passed away, the family asked us to help in selling a small part of his collection (which George had instructed them to do). One was a great looking ASAT Classic in a yellowed creme color looking like it came out of 1957. Sadly for the guitar ~ it plays much too well and sounds way too good to be in the hands of a hack player like me! Nonetheless, it was the attachment to Mr. Fullerton that really struck home. And to this day I thank his son Geoff for giving me the opportunity to purchase it from them. That's my favorite transaction.

Regards,

Tim

The way you talk about Mr. Fullerton, I can tell the guy just exuded class. I always like reading what you have to say about him and his family.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:18 pm

zombywoof wrote:Most memorable concert - hard to say.

I have seen the Byrds with every lineup from Gene Clark to Clarence White (I was and still am a big fan).

Whoa, zombywoof! Slow down!!! This one sentence was enough to make me want to shoot myself. And then you just go on... and on... and on.... (I'm a big Byrds fan too.)

Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:28 pm

sirmyghin wrote:I have never been the any 'memorable concerts' grand Scheme wise. My first show was Rush's 30th Anniversary, my second show Sonata Arctica (For the Sake of Revenge Tour), then RUSH S&A (better than R30).

Were either of the Rush shows dedicated to the genius of Ayn Rand?

By the way, I recently saw an old Canadian documentary by Allan King called Come On Children. It's sort of an old-fangled reality show, but instead of starring geniuses from the Jersey shore, it depicts congenial young dope-smoking Canadian hippies. And Alex Lifeson is one of the kids in the film! If you ever get a chance to see it, check it out.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:30 pm

Boogie Bill wrote:But I suppose the best story is the the amp I acquired from an elderly black gentleman that I struck up a conversation with while standing at the bus stop. He'd been a radioman in the army in Korea, and we got to talking about tubes. He told me he had this old Fender tube amp that need repair, and If I wanted it, I could come get it for $100. I went to his house and found lthis beautiful blonde, BF Fender Tremolux head and 210 cab--not a mark on it. I offered him more money for it but he would only take the $100.

What's so interesting about this is that I met him on my way back to work from the courthouse--the day my divorce was finalized. It was like God saying, "Well son, you can't have this woman you love, but you can have this." Cost me $150 to fix the amp, but couldn't fix the marriage. Kept the amp for ten years, and it probably hurt me worse to sell the amp, lol! By then though, I was long over her.

Classic! And, Bill, I'd eagerly pony up the dough to read your memoirs.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:31 am

El Fug wrote:
sirmyghin wrote:I have never been the any 'memorable concerts' grand Scheme wise. My first show was Rush's 30th Anniversary, my second show Sonata Arctica (For the Sake of Revenge Tour), then RUSH S&A (better than R30).

Were either of the Rush shows dedicated to the genius of Ayn Rand?

By the way, I recently saw an old Canadian documentary by Allan King called Come On Children. It's sort of an old-fangled reality show, but instead of starring geniuses from the Jersey shore, it depicts congenial young dope-smoking Canadian hippies. And Alex Lifeson is one of the kids in the film! If you ever get a chance to see it, check it out.

None of the Rush shows I have been to have been dedicated to anyone, just saw the Time Machine tour a few nights ago too. Never heard of the video, but it is not particularly surprising. The only Dedication to Rand I know of is in 2112 (claimed accidental almost Copyright infringement so they tossed it in). Neil does tend to lean towards egoism, so I guess her stuff will come up one way or another. Can't really fault that, I support her ideas (nearly) fully.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:24 am

El Fug wrote:So I ask you: What is the most significant rock concert you've ever been to? You know, the one where when you tell people about it you're greeted with gasps.

I remember that I had to "burn" a ticket to see Alice Cooper at the Hollywood Bowl back in the early seventies, as I must've done something bad, and had been recently "grounded" by my people.
My brother tells me that I did see the Grateful Dead at the Santa Monica Civic back in the earliest seventies. I don't remember much, other than the lights going out and lots of natural lighting (struck matches) taking over for a brief moment.
Another memorable, but not necessarily remembered, concert was seeing Bob Marley and the Wailers at the Santa Barbara County Bowl in the late seventies (?). What I do remember is having a very good time dancing around in the coastal sunlight and being very much in an altered state.
Oingo Boingo was a fun one, seen at the Hollywood Palladium in the mid-eighties.

El Fug wrote:So to the forum I ask, what is the most memorable instrument transaction that you've made? Any good stories out there?

I won't forget when I found my '91 Belair Green ASAT bass in craigslist right around Christmas time 2008(?). It just said "ASAT Bass" and the price was so low that I, thought it must be a Tribute, and almost passed over it without looking at the pic's. When I did, I saw the Leo signature, and knew that it wasn't a Tribute. Bad pic's too. According to the seller, I was the only one who'd left my phone number so she called me back. I was at her doorstep in less than 1 hour, despite it being nearly 40 degrees, and my having a brutal cold. I dished out the few bills, and noticed that she also had an Ampeg Rocket Bass 100R amp. I asked if she was selling it. She said yes, but she wasn't letting it go for less than $200. So, I counted out every single bill left in my wallet, amounting to $196. She reiterated that she wasn't taking less than $200. So, brutal cold and all, I walked down the street to a ready-teller, and got another $20 bill for her. I almost caught frickin' pneumonia. It was the condition of my health and the fact that I walked out with a great ASAT bass and amp, with nice leather Levy strap and gig bag, for $500 that make it so memorable.

P.S. Sorry I missed your show last month, El Fug. Maybe next one.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:03 am

sirmyghin wrote:None of the Rush shows I have been to have been dedicated to anyone, just saw the Time Machine tour a few nights ago too. Never heard of the video, but it is not particularly surprising. The only Dedication to Rand I know of is in 2112 (claimed accidental almost Copyright infringement so they tossed it in). Neil does tend to lean towards egoism, so I guess her stuff will come up one way or another. Can't really fault that, I support her ideas (nearly) fully.

Yeah, I was just joking. That dedication on 2112 has always cracked me up.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:44 am

MrRoundel wrote:P.S. Sorry I missed your show last month, El Fug. Maybe next one.

No worries, MrRoundel. But you missed some very enthusiastic Comanche playing!