LUNCH REPORT for Monday, July 19, 2010

Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:14 am

Hey, kids, I'm very excited as this is my first ever lunch report! I want to thank Boogie Bill for nominating me, and for doing a stellar job with his lunch report --- as usual.

Lunch today is probably not going to be very exciting. I've got a ton of work to do and I've got a doctor's appointment at 2:00 which throws a monkey wrench in my day's plans. So I think it will end up being the great American standard, PB&J. I have a stash of the necessary supplies in the work fridge. I like to get the natural kind of peanut butter at Trader Joe's, ie, no additives (except for salt). I like it crunchy too. And I eat it on that Ezekiel bread, which tastes a little like cardboard but is supposed to be good for you. It's sprouted wheat, you see! I'm using strawberry jam of some sort too, which I like for PB&J. I will eat three or four sandwiches. I like to eat a lot.

------

I borrowed the Beatles Anthology DVD set from a buddy of mine several months ago and only got around to watching it over the past couple of days. I've now seen the first four installments out of eight, so I'm halfway through it. It' very fascinating and very good and quite in-depth. I'm not sure that this level of Ken Burns-like detail would work for any other band in the history of rock music, but it actually works for The Beatles. I swear that two or three hours of DVD time is spent on the first half of 1964, a very busy and important year for the lads.

So here's a Beatles question for you. What Beatles era is your favorite? These guys reinvented themselves at a pace that would make Madonna blush. I think of them as having three basic eras (I know this stuff is highly arbitrary and quite fluid, but humor me): The early years culminating with the album and film A Hard Day's Night; the middle years from, Help! to Magical Mystery Tour; and the later years, from the White Album through to Abbey Road.

My favorite has got to be the middle years --- Help!, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's. That stuff is hard to beat. I love it all though.

------

G&L content. Well, I've only got one G&L. It's an American Comanche from, I think, 1999. I recently took it in to a luthier in North Hollywood (Thanks, MrRoundel! Cool guy, and he did excellent work). Anyway, he really liked my Comanche. He told me that he thought I had a very good example of a very good guitar. And he said that I would be hardpressed to find a Fender that exhibited this level of craftsmanship.

Here's an action shot:

I don't have any G&L questions today, but I would like to encourage you to post your own action shots of you playing your favorite G&L. Let's see 'em!

Re: LUNCH REPORT for Monday, July 19, 2010

Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:34 pm

El Fug wrote:My favorite has got to be the middle years --- Help!, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's. That stuff is hard to beat. I love it all though.

My opinion exactly. The Beatles remain to this day my favorite band. I don't play that many of their songs, but every time when I try to learn one I find some interesting thing they put in the song. Their genius is still amazing to me. I have the Anothology DVDs too but I haven't watched it in a long time. I may have to relive that magic again now that you've reminded me.

I don't have many pictures of me playing guitar, and I don't have any pictures of me playing a G&L.

Kit

Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:32 pm

I will be the outlier here, Not really a Beatles fan. I appreciate their music, and how they helped revolutionize guitar music, they just don't speak to me. There are a few choice songs I enjoy (Maxwell's Silver Hammer in particular) but usually I can do without them, no issues. Those DVD's sound paced a lot like my popular music post WWII course, which is a good thing ,as it lets you dig deep (which we did). So I guess I like their music, but they are not something I grab off the shelf often. Would rather be listening to RUSH!

No G&Ls here (YET!), but yours is quite nice.

Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:56 pm

I think the Beatles are great. The acid years are my favorite. Number nine....number nine.... I'm still mulling that one over.

BTW, Tim, I HATE Get Back (Yellow Submarine as well), but I love your enthusiasm for the band. My kids love it too. Heard Back in the USSR (fast version) on XM this morning, and the boys asked me to turn it up (I was taking them to camp). Anytime, boys!

Hey El Fug. Nice start! Man, that's a lot of PBJ. By the way, that Ezekiel bread is MUCH improved toasted! - ed

Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:59 pm

I actually got to see the Beatles in NYC. My buddy Frank B's Dad's company had something to do with the show so he took a few of us down to see it.

Lately I have been listening more to the early Beatles stuff. But I guess my two favorite Beatles LPs are Help and the White Album. Funny, the only LP I did not like and did not buy when released was Sgt. Pepper.

Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:47 pm

Kit wrote:My opinion exactly. The Beatles remain to this day my favorite band. I don't play that many of their songs, but every time when I try to learn one I find some interesting thing they put in the song. Their genius is still amazing to me. I have the Anothology DVDs too but I haven't watched it in a long time. I may have to relive that magic again now that you've reminded me.

Hey, Kit. I usually stay away from Beatles tunes myself, as they are the closest thing we have in rock and roll to divinity or royalty, though I used to play "I'm Only Sleeping" when I played in an acoustic duo back in the late 1840s. It's true though that whenever I do learn one of their songs it's a guaranteed "learning experience." Here are some of my favorite chord progressions that sound so simple but are actually quite strange. "P.S. I Love You," "Sexy Sadie," "I'm So Tired."

Definitely revisit the Anthology. Well worth the time.

Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:48 pm

Tim Buffalo Bros wrote:The subsequent album with "Anytime at All", "I cry Instead", etc. are all favorites due to the raw energy and flawless execution of the music by them. So I guess that would be pick # 1.

It's hard to argue with you here. I still think one of the greatest vocal performances in rock history is John's ecstatically hoarse "Twist and Shout."

Tim Buffalo Bros wrote:Help with "Help", "You're gonna lose that girl" and "Ticket to Ride" (and she don't care) still bring back great memories. Anytime they come on the radio, how can you not sing along???

Yup. "You're Gonna Lose that Girl" and "Ticket To Ride" are two personal faves. The "Ticket" drumline is pure Ringo genius!

Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:55 pm

sirmyghin wrote:I will be the outlier here, Not really a Beatles fan. I appreciate their music, and how they helped revolutionize guitar music, they just don't speak to me. There are a few choice songs I enjoy (Maxwell's Silver Hammer in particular) but usually I can do without them, no issues.

It takes all kinds, sirmyghin! What's funny is that "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" is probably my least favorite song on what is probably my favorite Beatles record --- either that or "Octopus's Garden." The rest is so brilliant though it makes up for it.

sirmyghin wrote:Would rather be listening to RUSH!

This might explain something. What, I'm not really sure!!! But you go, man!

sirmyghin wrote:No G&Ls here (YET!), but yours is quite nice.

Thanks! And... get one!

Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:01 pm

zapcosongs wrote:I think the Beatles are great. The acid years are my favorite. Number nine....number nine.... I'm still mulling that one over.

I think you need to be on acid yourself to get that one.

zapcosongs wrote:BTW, Tim, I HATE Get Back (Yellow Submarine as well), but I love your enthusiasm for the band. My kids love it too. Heard Back in the USSR (fast version) on XM this morning, and the boys asked me to turn it up (I was taking them to camp). Anytime, boys!

I'm with you on "Get Back," but I loves me some "Yellow Submarine." Looks like you're doing a good job raising your boys. Good job, Ed!

zapcosongs wrote:Hey El Fug. Nice start! Man, that's a lot of PBJ. By the way, that Ezekiel bread is MUCH improved toasted!

Thank you, and duly noted. I'll have to try it toasted.

Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:05 pm

zombywoof wrote:I actually got to see the Beatles in NYC. My buddy Frank B's Dad's company had something to do with the show so he took a few of us down to see it.

Zombywoof, you're killing me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zombywoof wrote:Lately I have been listening more to the early Beatles stuff. But I guess my two favorite Beatles LPs are Help and the White Album. Funny, the only LP I did not like and did not buy when released was Sgt. Pepper.

I love both Help and the White Album, but I strongly encourage you to give Sgt. Pepper's another shot. It really takes you places.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:17 am

I'd have split The Beatles eras a little differently (#1 is before Help!, #2 is Help! to Revolver, and the rest (studio era) is #3). I strongly prefer #3. As you had it divided (White Album through to Abbey Road) I'm still taking #3.

All this said, I think Brian Wilson's SMiLE is the best of the era. Shame he didn't finish it until 2004.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:56 am

Brock wrote:I'd have split The Beatles eras a little differently (#1 is before Help!, #2 is Help! to Revolver, and the rest (studio era) is #3). I strongly prefer #3. As you had it divided (White Album through to Abbey Road) I'm still taking #3.

All this said, I think Brian Wilson's SMiLE is the best of the era. Shame he didn't finish it until 2004.

I can understand your impetus to split their eras up that way, Brock, but I still stand by keeping Sgt. Pepper's and Magical Mystery Tour in with Revolver and Rubber Soul and such --- as much for their "bandness" throughout this era as for a certain consistency in stylistics. But it's all arbitrary anyway, and maybe your way is better.

I love Pet Sounds, but I've been afraid of diving into the 2004 SMiLE, for the same reasons that I've never seen The Godfather III. I guess I might have to give in on SMiLE, but NEVER on the The Godfather!

Re: SMiLE rules!

Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:08 pm

But it's all arbitrary anyway,

That it is. Most arbitrary.

I have Sgt Pepper as the divide because it was a huge leap in terms of studio use, plus they stopped performing concerts. I had a harder time with the Help! divide, actually.

I love Pet Sounds, but I've been afraid of diving into the 2004 SMiLE

Unless you have a complete hang up on Brian Wilson's voice being young and crisp, listen to it. It's a masterwork. Wilson along with Van Dyke Parks IMO wrote some of the greatest music ever. Had Wilson not had resistance in the band and the subsequent mental breakdown, this thing would have made it out sometime around January 1967. In some ways it's like a Sgt Pepper, but it's better while being bigger, and it also would have arrived earlier.

I was never that big on the Beach Boys. Too many cars and girls! I still prefer The Beatles catalog overall. SMiLE is different. Musically too. The modular composition is pure genius.

SMiLE rules. My favorite album ever. It's a shame Wilson didn't have more supportive bandmates, or figure out how to work SMiLE as a solo project.

-Brock

Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:33 pm

Brock wrote:
Unless you have a complete hang up on Brian Wilson's voice being young and crisp, listen to it. It's a masterwork. Wilson along with Van Dyke Parks IMO wrote some of the greatest music ever. Had Wilson not had resistance in the band and the subsequent mental breakdown, this thing would have made it out sometime around January 1967. In some ways it's like a Sgt Pepper, but it's better while being bigger, and it also would have arrived earlier.

I was never that big on the Beach Boys. Too many cars and girls! I still prefer The Beatles catalog overall. SMiLE is different. Musically too. The modular composition is pure genius.

SMiLE rules. My favorite album ever. It's a shame Wilson didn't have more supportive bandmates, or figure out how to work SMiLE as a solo project.

-Brock

I think the big problem was even though Wilson was churning out a lot of interesting music (even before he stopped playing live and whatnot) the Lyrics completely ruined it by being bubblegum pop.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:00 pm

Brock wrote:Unless you have a complete hang up on Brian Wilson's voice being young and crisp, listen to it. It's a masterwork. Wilson along with Van Dyke Parks IMO wrote some of the greatest music ever. Had Wilson not had resistance in the band and the subsequent mental breakdown, this thing would have made it out sometime around January 1967. In some ways it's like a Sgt Pepper, but it's better while being bigger, and it also would have arrived earlier.

-Brock

Okay, I'm sold. I will be purchasing and studying in the coming days. Thanks, Brock!

Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:53 am

I had a winter holiday CD request list a couple/three years ago and the CDs included Pet Sounds and SMiLE. I listened to Pet Sounds once first. It was underwhelming for me. Some months later, I finally put the SMiLE in. Oh my.

As with The Beatles, the later releases helped bridge me to the earlier material. Now, I can hear the goodness of Pet Sounds.