Lunch Report For Friday, July 16, 2010

Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:42 pm

Wow! I simply cannot believe how fast the time has flown this week. I've had a fun time as always.

El Fug is nominated for next week's Lunch Reporter duties.

Lunch today is going to be leftover Domino's pizza; a Honolulu Hawaiian, which was pretty good last night.

I was going to try and get Miss Leslie to sub a report for me today, but she's meeting with clients and couldn't do it. Probably a good thing, too...see, Miss Leslie is not only my confidante and paramour and #1 girl, but she also acts as accountant/financial consultant/banker; and as my Roadie.

She would probably just whine about how tough it is being the GF of a rockstar (ME) and acting as roadie. I have rules for conduct, such as:

No slamming shots, margaritas or Long Island Ice Teas and making a drunken spectacle!
No flirting with the drummer! (Especially the drum machine--see rule above!)
No table dances for the customers, and no dancing on the tables.
It is not acceptable to show up in either flannel jammies or silk negliees.
Clothing must not come off during the band's performance!!
And no jumping up on the stage and singing with the band! Or playing blues harp!!!!

Okay, I'm having a bit of fun with this, Miss Leslie is far too classy to do any of those things. She does have a few issues as a roadie though. She broke three fingernails at a recent gig while moving gear, and I heard about it for DAYS! There's no worker's comp provided on this job! And of course, If she can't lift it into the car, she says I can't have it. So thank God i'm not into big stacks with this band!

She really does help me out a lot. She does help me load the car before the gig, and wind up cords afterwards, making sure everything is back in it's place. We'll sometimes have conversations about taking a certain guitar or not, ofter whether there's room for the banjo, acoustic or the 12-string. She has good insight and I trust her judgement. s
She doesn't sing or play an instrument any more, but she has a good ear and let's me know when the band is not sounding it's best.

And she is my Number One supporter. She always talks up people about the gigs. She's interested in what I do. She's willing to listen to my stories; she is a good soundboard for making buying decisions. She's been really supportive of my music from day one and I really appreciate all she does for me. I couldn't do it without her. We talk openly and honestly.

So, question for the day is, how supportive is your wife/GF/SO of your musical pursuits? Do they come to your gigs, roadie for you, help finance your purchases? Do you sing or play together?

My Dad didn't come to many of my gigs because he didn't like to be around liquor, and the smoke always bothered him too. Yet I know he was really proud of me, and supportive in his own quiet way. My Mom was too, of course--she's the one that taught me how to play. But some of my past girlfriends did not understand my committment to my music, and some other members of my family have been less than supportive over the years.

Gig is tomorrow, and I'll be ready I hope you PDX guys can make it. I'll probably have my Bel-Air green Legacy (the "Chevy"), my 2002 Taylor 710CE acoustic, my blueburst DanElectro 12 string, and my 2009 Gibson 1960 VOS Tobacco Burst Les Paul. Maybe I should leave the Paul home and just bring G&Ls? We'll see.

And I'm still thinking about the Honeyburst Invader I saw at Guitar Center. Got any great stories about the one G&L that got away, or that you missed out on, that still makes you want to kick your own behind?

Or maybe you have a great acquistion story as to how a great G&L just happened to fall on you from out of the sky. Love to hear it.

Got to run. Have a great weekend!

Bill

Re: Lunch Report For Friday, July 16, 2010

Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:46 pm

Good Week Mr. Boogie

And I hope you are doing better and wish all the best for your friend Tracy and a speedy recovery.

My wife gigged in her previous life before she was blessed with me so she gets it all. Best part, she also has a big thing for old Gibson acoustics which makes my life alot easier since I have the same addiction. She don't quite get the electric thing though. And Lordy did she ever make fun of the Interceptor when I first brought that one home. She thought I had lost my cotton pickin' mind.

There are way too many guitars going way too far back that I am still kicking my butt for not grabbing. Only solace is that even though the prices look insanely low buy today's standards back then it might as well have been a million bucks.

I have never actually gone out to buy a specific guitar or infact gone out to buy any guitar - every one that I own I either stumbled across or found me. So they all have stories.

Good luck with the Gig and had a blast this week. Nice job.

Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:22 pm

I only play as a hobby so I don't spend weekend evenings out gigging or anything like that. My hobby band does practice every Sunday afternoon, and even then my wife will occasionally say some chore needs to done, and why am I taking off to play music, etc? But then I always respond that that is about the only thing I enjoy doing and she should at least grant me that. My kids are totally unimpressed, may be because I almost always play unplugged so they can't even hear me. I wish they would be more interested, but so far no luck.

I'm looking forward to seeing you at Applebee's tomorrow. The bass player from the hobby band will likely be there too. I'll be the slim oriental guy with greying hair.

A couple of years ago I ran across a Portland Craigslist ad for an G&L L-2000 for $425, but that is all the information it gave. I wondered if it was a Tribute so I emailed an inquiry. I had no acknowledgement for about 8 days and then I got an email back saying it is a USA model with natural binding. I rushed over there to check it out and the bass is pretty much pristine, a couple of the feet on the case are bashed in though. I happily paid him the $425 and have been enjoying my lucky find since.

Kit

Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:36 pm

So, question for the day is, how supportive is your wife/GF/SO of your musical pursuits? Do they come to your gigs, roadie for you, help finance your purchases? Do you sing or play together?

Mine is highly supportive, she puts up with my year of heavy gas (this year) and supports me getting an ASAT (she thinks my current interest in country guitar is awesome). She bought the beautiful LB75 and C66 (5'er and the floyd guitar) for me, out of tax money in previous years. I do not gig, but I record, she always wants to hear what I am doing ,and is probably someone who most enjoys it, which is odd as she has no musical background and I never figured non musicians would 'get it'

Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:49 pm

Hey guys, thanks for all the kind words. I did add some posts to Thursday's Report as some of you had questions.

And thanks again for all your support and prayers for my friend Tracy--they are deeply appreciated.

Bill

Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:08 pm

Boogie Bill wrote:El Fug is nominated for next week's Lunch Reporter duties.

I'm honored and humbled that you have asked me to do this, Bill. I accept. Though you're a hard lunch reporter to follow.

Boogie Bill wrote:So, question for the day is, how supportive is your wife/GF/SO of your musical pursuits? Do they come to your gigs, roadie for you, help finance your purchases? Do you sing or play together?

Good question. Ms. Future El Fug is supportive, but not exactly --- how shall I put this --- involved. No roadie-ing duties for her, for instance. She's a good sounding board for songwriting, but when it comes to the nitty gritty of guitar tone nuance, she's out of her depth and admits as much. We did once record a track together, though, with her doing backing vocals. That was fun! But then again that was when we used to bang like heavy metal drummers. Ah, youth.

Great job this week, Bill! I hope your friend pulls through, man.

Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:02 pm

Hey Bill, we all need a "Number One supporter" I am lucky enough to have one as well. Going on vacation tomorrow and while all last minute packing / planning is going on, her response to my "I'm going to play a bit before we leave", was, "See you in a bit." man, we are lucky guys , who have spouse/gf/so/fwb/roadie/and flavor of the month/night who just say go play!! :alright:

My Dad didn't come to many of my gigs
Excuse me while I refill my glass on that one. :sick: No support on this end.

Maybe I should leave the Paul home and just bring G&Ls? We'll see.
Always bring the G&L's!

Got any great stories about the one G&L that got away, or that you missed out on, that still makes you want to kick your own behind?
My ongoing story of the stolen tele that was to pay for the ASAT commemorative, but see next reply for redemption.

Or maybe you have a great acquistion story as to how a great G&L just happened to fall on you from out of the sky. Love to hear it.
My part JD-5 (thank you Mac!! :happy0065: ) is a true tone machine. I may have to find a true G&L JD to see any difference, but I will say the sound options will turn a tinkerer upsidedown. Here's Maxine

You have a great weekend too and a great gig! :alright: