Lunch Report For Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:53 am

Though many of you may not recall, today is a FAMOUS day in history, where somebody did something...but I can't remember what!

Sorry for being a little late with the LR, but I was just too tired last night. Headed off to Costco later today, so I'm looking toward a Polish Dog with a pop. For a buck fifty, that's a pretty good deal. Probably wash the dog down with the Lite Lemonade.

So with summer upon us, let's talk Dogs, Brats, and Weiners! Do you like hot dogs? What do you put on them? Grill or boil? Make your own?

I prefer old fashioned Frankfurters with the skin casing to the modern "molded" (not MOLDY!) commercial hot dogs. Although, a grilled Hebrew National is a pretty good hot dog, my favorite brand out here is Zenner's. I like their Frankfurter and their Polish, but I LOVE their Bockwurst. Bockwurst is a big, fat, white, unsmoked sausage; often made with veal, chive, and milk. They have a mild flavor, and I think they are yummy; and they seem to be leaner than other kinds of franks.

On the bockwurst, all I need is a good hoagie roll, with a bit of Gulden's mustard and perhaps a small amount of sauerkraut. On regular franks and Polish dogs, I might add a little sweet or dill relish and onions. And I much prefer grilled over boiled, please.

And OMG--almost forgot cheesedogs!! LOVE a good cheesedog!

Well, my gig is Saturday, so I have four days to prepare. Got to make sure my laundry is done so I have some decent clothes. I have never done the grungy t-shirt and jeans for band apparel. I don't care how hot it gets, I ain't wearing no shorts! A collared polo in a bright color and docker-type twill pants is it for me.

We played at Applebee's a month ago so the gig is still fresh in my mind. I've already thought about the gig and what we could do better and different. I have my equipment list that I filled out from the previous night, so i know what I need; and I can pare down any thing non-essential. I live close, so if I need something it's less of a problem--but I really try to always have the things I might need at a gig. So, as Miss Leslie says, I pack like a girl!

The equipment checklist that I put together a few years is a big help for me. In a day or two, I'll highlight all the gear and guitars I want to take to the gig. Which bags, which boxes, which guitars. Four pages of stuff in a table format in an MS Word document that gets updated when I buy each piece of new gear. The last page is for personal items we might want for overnight trips, and room to write down any special items not on the list, like when Miss Leslie wants to take candles or beads to Sandy. Once this is done, I don't have to think about it anymore; and then we check them off the list as we load the van. Rarely do I miss something that is critical to the gig. (Knock on wood!)

I'm also trying to get my body in shape for the gig. After my few days in Seattle and the driving, my upper back is sore. I have an injury from an auto accident in 1981 that still hurts, especially if I do certain thing. I'm not in the best physical condition right now, and that doesn't help. But, I'm headed off to the chiropractor this afternoon, so I should feel better after he tortures me!

As for the G&L question of the day, I will go back a couple of years. Remember when G&L changed from the Leo-designed Bi-Cut neck design and developed the new truss rod with the laminated fingerboard? There was quite a bit of outcry, especially from the "Old Guard" who like the pre-BBE, Leo-era guitars.

Now that the dust has settled, did it make any difference in how you perceive the new guitars? Did it affect your buying decision in any way? Do you like the new necks, and the ability to order different sizes and profiles? Or are you still a Leo-era purist?

It really hasn't made a difference for me. I already had 15 BBE guitars when the change was made, and haven't had the need to buy any since; and I doubt it would sway my buying decision at all. There are of couple of my guitars that have slightly larger necks, two that have the really slim necks, and one that has a really odd profile--but the majority of them are just PERFECT for me, and they all feel pretty much the same. If I found a new guitar that I wanted with that profile, I won't be worrying about how the neck is made, as long as it feels right.

Going to run for today. Let's be careful out there.

Bill

Re: Lunch Report For Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:50 pm

Not a hot dog guy, but I do enjoy a good sausage, I often get mine at an eastern european Deli, hungarian I believe. I usually bake them (no grill in my apartment, and no grill allowed). Sometimes I butterfly and fry em. usually just some BBQ sauce or mustard, sometimes a bun/bread.

Never played the old necks, I guess I am currently looking at laminated fret boards, but I am used to that anyway. As long as the neck is stable, who cares? (ensue stoning me if need be). That said I wish they would bring back the metal pickguards, those are both cool and probably do better at shielding and whatnot. I like the different profiles/radius. I am planning an order with the #3 neck (wide), as it is the closest to my Carvins. Quotes are coming in, and they are looking nice.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:00 pm

It be Bastille Day - Long Live the Revolution!

I love me a good hot dog - but pretty much unless I am at the State Fair or something it has to be a Hebrew National or maybe a Sabretts (the dog they served at Yankee Stadium). Prefer them grilled and yeah I love 'em with chili slathered over them - also onion, kraut, relish, cheese, and mustard. Maybe even a little hot sauce when I am feeling sexy. For kielbasy or wurst I will pass unless I happen to be hanging around the Greenpoint neighborhood in Brooklyn or passing by Czerw's in Philly or something.

I never had an opinion of the big G&L neck controversy. I am emotionally attached to the Leo-era G&Ls but Lordy, those BBE instruments are so flippin' sweet. And I prefer the BBE neck profiles - no matter what kinda truss rod be in there.

Bye the bye - the Tom Petty show revived my faith that are are still guys out there that can get both your spirit and ass moving. To me, Petty is one of those guys who I felt never really got it across on an LP but live - they just may be the best American rock and roll band out there. My favorite song of the night was their cover of Fleetwood Mac's "Oh Well." If the Heartbreakers are playing near you get off your butt and go.
Last edited by zombywoof on Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:58 pm

Bastille Day- Today the waiters have some kind of race in downtown D.C.

Hot dogs/ Bratwurst/ Brots-
They all taste great on the grill. I just have to cut back because the pounds are starting to pile on. My wife loves Ballpark hotdogs.

I would love to get a G&L Invader bass. I saw one on Craigslist in Boston or somewhere in white and gold. It looked sweet.

G&L necks- I am one old school devotee who is glad to see the bi-cut neck go away. I have had too many rod problems with those necks to be in favor of them. I own a bunch that are fine and I like playing them but I am always wary of adjusting their truss rods.
Any improvement in the truss rod design, is welcome to me.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:11 pm

Boogie Bill wrote:As for the G&L question of the day, I will go back a couple of years. Remember when G&L changed from the Leo-designed Bi-Cut neck design and developed the new truss rod with the laminated fingerboard? There was quite a bit of outcry, especially from the "Old Guard" who like the pre-BBE, Leo-era guitars.

Now that the dust has settled, did it make any difference in how you perceive the new guitars? Did it affect your buying decision in any way? Do you like the new necks, and the ability to order different sizes and profiles? Or are you still a Leo-era purist?

Raising hand...

I was a little vocal about that change. Not about the trussrod, which needed to be updated, but about the neck construction.

FWIW, I still maintain that the bi-cut neck is technically stronger due to the combination of glue joints. Probably be a PITA to program in the CNC. Or not, so long as the trussrod location remains known and stable.

But that's just me talking. :twisted:

I have no beef with the current necks, and I do prefer the new trussrod which seems to have a finer thread.

Ken...

Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:36 pm

Dawgs: I'm with ZW here (as is often the case). These are real good! http://www.sabrett.com/hotdogs.cfm

I also like Hebrew National and Nathan's. I like them cut down the sides (to increase surface area sizzle and to allow some fat drainage) and grilled.

The condiments will depend on my mood. Sometimes I'm feeling sacrilegious, and will put on ketchup or BBQ sauce. Other time, it's mustard and kraut. I don't really like mess while eating, but chili and cheese moves me some time. Kraut can be Kool too. Cucumber can be a great foil to the salty spiciness of a good dog as well......

Regarding the bi-cut neck issue, I don't have a strong feeling one way or the other. Maybe I'm lucky, but I've never personally had a problem with a G&L neck, old or new. So I like them both just fine. The old ones feel more vintage Fender to me. The new ones are great too.

Bill, I've been here a while now, and I can't remember ever seeing a picture of you. Got any gig snapshots you'd like to share? - ed

btw: I really dig Johnsonville Beer n' Brats too!

Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:02 pm

I love Brats and we have them at least once a week. Top with Horsradish Mustard , Pickle Relish and some Onions. Combine with a good brew and I am set.

I do not knowingly have any Bi-Cut necks. I can't compare but I will say that I frequently check relief and most necks change with the humidity and temperature. I will say that the most stable necks on any of my guitars are Maple Fretboard and Vintage Reissue necks which are also extremely stable and are all Maple. Haven't had the Parker very long but can already tell that the neck is very stable. So , the Rosewood fretboard necks are the ones that I have to adjust summer/winter and they will change 7 to 10 thousands from season to season. I just set up my F100 Return tonight and found the neck to be excellent. The fretwork is perfect, only .003 relief, low action (.040) on high E and no buzzing. I could even set it lower but this is where it will stay. The reason is probably the Plecking. I will need another winter to see if the frequent oiling helps the rosewood and makes the neck more stable. Still my story and I'm sticking to it. Good week Bill :happy0065: --Darwin