Lunch report for Monday, July 12, 2010

Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:06 am

Short report today. In Seattle today, been visiting a sick friend in the ICU. He's my best friend. Touch and go--feeling helpless and useless, and outcome is not clear. Heading home today. Lunch will probably be fast food on the road.

Ever been really sick or critically injured? I had heart problem two years ago that put me in ICU for a few days. It was a bit scary, but didn't think I would die. I think it's harder on friends and families. (And I want to hear all about the cute nurses!)

Stopped at Guitar Center Kirkland, and they had some ASATs. Two were cherry burst Tribute Specials, and another USA Special from early 90's in Baby Blue. The fourth was a very nice red hog ASAT Junior.

I'm a Legacy-bodied lover, but I have a gorgeous Deluxe. Which ASAT model is your fave and why?

Won't be responding to posts today, but I'll see you tomorrow.

Bill

Re: Lunch report for Monday, July 12, 2010

Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:26 am

First of all, let me apologize to sirmyghin for my lack of responses to his LR's last week. I had intended to respond once or twice but got distracted and it just never happened. It was nothing personal. I did enjoy his heavier metal songs, the last more than the first I think.

Sorry to hear about your buddy Boogie Bill. I hope he pulls through for everyone.

When I was 10 years old, I got really sick. It as during the Summer (Always my body's favorite time to get sick when I was a kid. That, and Christmas.). I wasn't hospitalized, but it stopped me from being able to play Pop Warner football during the only year I tried. The doctor's couldn't figure it out. One said "Rheumatic Fever", other said "Prolonged fever from unknown cause", something like that.

I was hospitalized in '79 with another strange one, deemed to be viral encephalitis. I was quarantined for a few days, as they originally thought it was meningitis. I'm thankful that it was not, but V.E. wasn't any picnic.

Today, while I haven't returned to the land of the "infirmed" (why isn't that a word?), I now have the dubious distinction of having the skin cancer "hat trick", as I've had all three of the major types, Squamous, Basal Cell, and Melanoma. Fortunately they were all caught early, especially the Melanoma, so all should be well, providing I keep careful watch of my skin. All of those years in the strengthening California UV's....

My favorite ASAT model is the ASAT III. Admittedly, I vacillate between the III's and my '86, but today it (again) is my put-together ASAT III with the Fender Nashville control setup. It has a maple body, and seems to possess some particularly strong mojo. One day I'll get it in the hands of someone more masterful than I, and enjoy it played to more of its potential. On ASAT's overall, I just like the ASAT body size more than the Legacy. My hands just fall naturally into more comfortable fretting, strumming, and picking positions, especially when seated. I confess that I have never played a Legacy, only F-100, S-500, and Comanche bodies. The fact that so many talented players here seem to like them tells me a lot though. I really should try one for the sound.

(Edited to add health record)
Last edited by MrRoundel on Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:29 am

I have not been critically sick or injured, but my daughter was born 5 weeks premature, and spent the first 9 days of her life in the Neo-natal ICU (NICU). That was pretty scary, even though she was one of the biggest babies in there. Josie was 4.5lbs, and there were other babies in there under 2lbs.

As for ASATs, I have a number of them. My fave is an ASAT-S3 with a wonderful neck. The others are nice, but this one is special to me.

edg

Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:49 am

Never been critically injured, and usually try to avoid hospitals with death bed relatives in em (if possible). Prefer to remember the better times (no one has been particularly close however).

Not sure, I am leaning towards a special right now as the pickups look awesome. Not to mention the saddle lock bridge.

Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:12 am

Boogie Bill, so glad to see you posting here! This new site usually leaves me cold (sorry, Craig).

Man, that's rough about your friend. I just lost my mom in January (several-years battle with breast cancer). Dying ain't pretty. It ain't graceful. It ain't sancrosanct. It's all tubes and oxygen machines and nurses (none hot) and meds and bedsores. And worry.

I too am a Strat man --- well, a Comanche man. Teles tend to make me sore on my right forearm if I play them very long. This is because I'm a p*ssy.

Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:49 pm

Wow...last couple of weeks too busy to even check in, much less read or post anything!

I've been hospitalized twice in my life...once for a tonsilectomy as a kid and then a couple years ago for sinus surgery...overnight deals both times. But of course, I was in a couple of nights when each of our girls was born and an overnight for my daughter's tonsilectomy. So always for routine stuff, and I'm grateful for that!!

I don't have an ASAT, but if I did, I'm thinking Deluxe, maybe semi-hollow.

Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:10 pm

Sorry to hear about you friend Bill...I've been lucky to never been seriously ill or injured.. lots of close calls on the latter (three car accidents in the last six months)

favorite ASAT: does the 25th Anniversary count? I only can play it because of the contours. it fits to my body and arms like a glove..I have a hard time with slabs. Nice to hear from El Fug and know that I am not the only one with the right forearm issue.. the finish on the 25th Anniversary seemed like an inch thick but I was able to gash it to the wood when I dropped a socket wrench on it this weekend while putting on locking tuners...lesson learned: don't work on your guitars after happy hour.....that first nick hurts the most but it also provides a bit of relief, I don't have to baby it quite as much now...I've replaced the nut, put in a split coil pot and now the locking tuners..maybe not exactly a collector's piece at this point..I cranked it up on Friday with the coils split and dang it sounded pretty, played simple barre chords and it really sang.

Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:30 pm

Bill, glad to hear you recovered from heart issues. I have had back surgery twice and have a full recovery. I still lift heavy amps but it gets more difficult as we get older. Roadies would be a big benefit. Illness and death are always difficult for anyone who has to watch. One can't imagine what it is for the person it is happening to unless it has been experienced.

My favorite ASAT is my Z3. I don't play the Mahogany Blues Boy much but also like the Asat Classic S-3. The Z 3 has a Bigsby and I am a Bigsby fan. ASATs are not my faves and I tend to like Legacys better. I have or have had most types of trems and I still like a Bigsby. It even gets easier to restring them as you do it more. If I am gigging with an ASAT type I will use my Parker Southern. If I use a Strat type it will be a Legacy. There are a lot of fine guitars out there.-- Darwin

Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:32 pm

Sad to hear you're visiting this beautiful city (under a gray sky today) for such a heart-wrenching occasion. Never had to deal with that myself yet nor with my family. When my father in law passed away, we were an ocean and a landmass away so we never witnessed the deterioration. Has the benifit that both my wife and I only can remember him when there was still spunk in him.

I have problems picking my favorite ASAT. It would be between my Broadcaster, Blues Boy LE (the original Buffalo Brothers series), and my Trinity. And then again, whenever I play the first ASAT I ever got (a Butterscotch ASAT Classic in open tuning), I like that one the best. But if you force me too, I will pick the Trinity.

Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:15 pm

Sorry to hear about your friend, Bill. Our thoughts and prayers are with him - and with you as well.

Until about four years ago, I'd have had no hospital stories to share. But four years ago, I found myself in ICU for several days terribly dehydrated and with a bad case of pneumonia. Last fall, I lost a lot of blood and spent some more time in ICU. I do have a pretty nurse /sponge bath story, but why don't you send me a PM if you're interested... :luv:

As far as ASATs go, I love them! I'd be hard pressed to decide between my Bluesboy and my '86 ASAT. Fortunately, I don't have to! :banana:

Nice start! - ed

Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:36 pm

Hope the health of both you and your friend improve.

Keeping my fingers crossed, but I have not had any major health problems. I did end up in the emergency room several years ago because I put out my back. My wife had to take me to the hospital and endure hours waiting until the doctor got to me. I believe I paid her back now since last year I had to take her to the emergency room 2 days in a row with what turned out to be E coli.

I lost my father more than a decade ago, and several years ago I lost a sister to cancer. It was difficult seeing my loved ones in the process of dying, but I also know everyone goes through it at some point.

My only ASAT is my LE, in fact I played it yesterday at band practice. I don't find any guitar easier to play than others except the Heritage H535 (335 body style) that digs into my chest when I play sitting down. I can only blame that on my being too lazy to stand up when I play.

Kit

Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:50 pm

Only on Death's Door once (sure hope I ain't jinxed myself by saying this). I had some kind of strange infection and the Doc told me had patients who died of leukemia who had a better white blood cell count than me. Not being much for doctors though I ran around for about three weeks with a lump the size of a golf ball and a temp of around 103 degrees. They could not figure out whether I was just plain tough or just plain stupid. I vote for the latter.

Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:22 pm

My sympathies to your friend and family and wishes for a speedy recovery.

What's my favorite ASAT? My Broadcaster.

RickT

Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:49 pm

Hey Bill,

Sorry to hear about your best friend, hope things take a turn for the better, thoughts are with all.

Ever been really sick or critically injured?
One time that I would place in that category, and thanks to good docs, good staff, many prayers and I'm still grateful for each day here with little residual effects. :banana: Aside from that, just 7 broken bones, stitches 5 times and 1 ruptured disc and a salmanella bought that hit the white blood cell count hard. Hey, I like to play hard and have a bad history with bicycle wrecks and general stupidity resulting in hospital time. I would say it was for the candy stripers but I usually got Nurse Ratchet :scared0016:

Which ASAT model is your fave and why?
Oh man yer talking my language! :elguitar054: Hard to pick a fave but here are a few at the top: ASAT Z3 SH with added WR bridge p-up - the Z coils are in a class of there own, great SH tone and and the overwound bridge adds more power, a parts Jerry Donahue JD5 that has some of the coolest options ever, and then the good ol' 87 ASAT for that rich ASAT sound.