Trying Thursday LR, July 8th

Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:16 am

Hey there folks, sorry I am late today, finally caved and bought a small AC unit for the apartment window, just finished installing it. Had some excellent falafel for lunch.

My handy work is here, probably thereIfixedit.com worthy, had to rip a freaking board, with a back saw, AND no vice (I hate living in an apartment)

As I have mentioned, I used to work carpentry, never with my own tools though as I was too young to have the collection. I have built a 14' plywood duck boat (and designed even) for my high school shop teacher. Made a book shelf he screwed up the dimensions on and gave it away as a wedding gift, you name it. I am fairly skilled with my hands. I miss that side of life, having delved deeply into Academia, but come 50 my body will thank me for not destroying it on construction sites. I plan to take up Luthiery when I have a house and can establish a suitable shop area. I currently study geotechnical engineering, a far step (albeit the civil undergrad was much closer). What trade do you enjoy, that may or may not be your job?

Frets touch and the other thing. I play with an extremely light touch on guitar, unless I am bending it is barely a caress. Guitar strings don't offer much resistance for a bass player, but I feel it is important to keep the note just pressed enough that it does not vibrate. I also love the scalloped feeling of jumbo fretwire (6100, .55 high) and a heavy hand will sharp that stuff every time. I understand G&L calls 6100 medium jumbo and is standard? Are you heavy or light handed?

My frets of choice nowadays are all stainless steel. One of the things holding me back from trying a G&L is this, I hope they will soon introduce stainless to the line up. The glassy polished feeling, that is virtually indestructible, is something I love. Easier bends, no fret recrowns, always exactly like you left it and perfect. They are a freaking dream. Which frets do you prefer?

Finally picks, I am a bit odd in this one, I use agate slice picks (well 1 agate, 1 jade) I had them custom made for me (for like 10$ a pick, CHEAP for these things) to be a dunlop sharp shape. One edge was 'botched' and I had them make it pointy, and it ended up being my go to pick, kind of a oversized jazz type mechanic. I have been using this pick for over a year steady, it doesn't have a scratch, I still don't break strings. Very sharp attack, no loss due to pick, 0 flex, perfect precision, exactly where you move it every time. I love these things. What are your preferences for a pick?

This is my closet guitar, a DC135, twinblades and M22SD , nothing really special about it otherwise. Hate the gloss back of neck and bump it down with steel wool now and then. It is a case warrior. I plan to reevaluate it now that I have a proper amp, maybe some things will change (pickup might sound good , didn't respond well with a modeller however. the paint has 'lamination lines' due to grain shifting and whatnot, not in the clear though. What do I care not likely to sell it as mod it anyway (paint is removable, need to remove it from the neck and tung oil that baby up soon).

And lastly more of my tunes. Here are 2 of my more metal leanings. The first is a fun tune, that reminded me of pirates and pirate metal. Not much else to it, it was just a fun laugh while recording experience. Waylaid by Pirates

The second is pretty standard, until you hit the leads. I was going for an effect here, where the rhythm is outside (audience), the leads are inside (mental), here is what I wrote at the time, about sums it:
The leads were trying to follow the initial rush at the begin of a bout, followed by analysis of your opponent, which would lead to looking for and finding gaps in his defense, choosing the right moment and attack, then striking in a moment of clarity, followed by the relief that comes after and the slow down on victory.

The rhythm is what you would see and feel if you were watching a bout, no gaps in the action, no seemingly odd paces, but perspective is fun.

A chink in the armor (through the breach)
Enjoy your Wednesday, we are almost there, tomorrow is happy weekend day for all you hard workers ( and all us lazy grad students who have to keep working regardless can keep on keeping on)

Kyle

Re: Trying Thursday LR, July 8th

Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:37 am

What did you say you had for lunch?

I like A Chink in the Armor!

I use cheap medium picks that I can buy in bulk. I play almost exclusively at home and still manage to misplace them all the time. Now that my kid is learning to play, we're losing them at a frightening pace. I guess my preference is the yellow Tortex things.

I don't like stainless steel frets after using "regular" ones for so many years. Makes my attack too percussive for my tastes and I have to change my approach when I use them (I have them on an Anderson). - ed

btw: Vice in an apartment can be fun!

Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:33 pm

zapcosongs wrote:What did you say you had for lunch?

Falafel, eastern/mediteranean food, chick peas ground up with spice and fried typically in oil. It was in a pita with lettuce, hot suace, tomato. Very good this one

I like A Chink in the Armor!

I use cheap medium picks that I can buy in bulk. I play almost exclusively at home and still manage to misplace them all the time. Now that my kid is learning to play, we're losing them at a frightening pace. I guess my preference is the yellow Tortex things.

I don't like stainless steel frets after using "regular" ones for so many years. Makes my attack too percussive for my tastes and I have to change my approach when I use them (I have them on an Anderson). - ed

btw: Vice in an apartment can be fun!

Glad you are liking the songs, that one gets the most 'eh?' from people as the leads are pretty out there.
I almost lost my yellow agate pick once, and was quite angry until I found it. I keep it on my desk at all times.

The problem with a vice, is needing a work bench, I cannot fasten it to the table :P, nor do I want to kick too much dust in the office. If I really need to work on things, I go work in the Civil engineering labs.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:34 pm

Hey,

Nice job on the air conditioner.

My job for the last 30 odd years has been in the wood flooring business. We design,install and finish/refinish hardwood flooring in Chicago and along the North Shore. I am past 50 and my body is holding up and I still am active on every job. Monday and tuesday I personally coated 2700 + sq.ft both days. Yesterday and today we sanded and stained four bedrooms , a hall and landing in a 110 year old home with figured maple floors. I enjoy it and it provides a great workout.
When I arrived at the home yesterday the owner told me everything was cleaned out except three air conditioners in a closet. She told me we could put them in the basement. It was 100 degrees up there so all three units were quickly thrown into windows and the humidity level was brought down to a level that my buds and myself could handle and also a level where it wasn't a concern for the raw wood. The floors are now sealed and tomorrow the finishing starts.
Act on your wood working dreams large or small.

Take care,

y2kc