Lunch Report 01/31 - Pre-Valentines

Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:20 pm

Lunch: My sister got everyone Japanese noodle kits for Christmas, so I cooked some udon up.

G&L: The company is now on its fifth total decade, since we're in the twenties; which model would you pick from each era?

-'80s: Difficult, but I'll say Saddle-lock Cavalier in natural mahogany; no pickguard (since I already have a saddle-lock F100 :) ) Runner-ups are pointy Comanches, anything with a fine-tuner vibrato, G200 etc.
-'90s: Some sort of neon Climax Plus; might as well have no shame
-'00s: 25th Anniv. model
-'10s: Doheny V12
-'20s: Espada ;)

Music Content: Trying to avoid 'new gear' lately to focus on my playing what I have, but... A few weeks ago a friend and I found ourselves at the Orange County Guitar Show; I was *seriously* alarmed how many nice axes there were ($$$ vintage Fenders, Gibsons etc.) Tons of offsets, at least a dozen vintage Competition Mustangs. G&Ls were there, but I was too busy being overwhelmed and my mind was not present as a result of everything else dazzling me, I somehow didn't bother to take pics of the gorgeous '80s Invader for sale (the only Leo-Era G&L aside from a few ASATs) - one of the booth attendants handed my friend and I an AMAZING new-ish ASAT Special with stainless steel frets to play through his modded Fender Red-Knob; what a great guitar.

Anyway, I did wind up with something...

For $75 this was worth it for the awesome neck, and the pickups (one Seymour Duncan, two Fender American Standard singles) not to mention the color :D

Ever been to a guitar show? Stories? Obviously my going was a mistake since I have another thing to make room for, but at least it wasn't expensive :happy0007:

Other pics from the show; sorry, seems I only snapped Jaguars somehow:

Non-Music: A couple more weeks ago I drove eight hours north and helped my mom finally sell the house I went to high school in, to officially move her down to SoCal; I've been back to Folsom only a handful of times since I got out (need to be careful how I say that,) and it took me the better part of twenty years to realize it *really* is a pretty cool little place. The scenery is gorgeous; woodland, a beautiful river, a lake (now with water!) and totally different vibe from fast-paced Southern California; you could think you were in a different state. My wife loves it there; for a moment I was afraid she'd try to buy the place from my mom and take up residence :) Charming 'old town' districts, lots of activities for outdoorsmen; white water rafting/kayaking, close to Tahoe for skiing etc.

But I couldn't appreciate it when I lived there, and to be honest don't have many happy memories of being there; none really due to the place itself, but from the state of mind I was in when I lived there (high school.) I never really learned to be a teenager until rather late senior year, and for most of the time previous to that I tended to be depressed and on my own (one because of the other.) Still I have this strange feeling now that the house has closed and sold, that one of the last places I ever considered 'home' is gone; funny to think I've lived at my current condo for almost ten years, but it feels like living through my high school years in Folsom took twice as long. Feel like I may go back to visit every so often.

Are you able to visit your childhood home(s)? If you've moved since, how often do you return to the area? Pics of Folsom, to show it isn't all a prison (mostly bridges) ;)

Re: Lunch Report 01/31 - Pre-Valentines

Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:00 am

Danley, nice bit of personal touch to your lunch report, I enjoyed reading it a lot. And really nice pictures of Folsom. I spent about a dozen years in the Bay Area, including college days. My siblings still live in the area and I have visited quite a few times, but never stayed long enough to soak in the feel of the place.

Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:31 am

Lunch Was travelling home from Fargo, ND yesterday. I picked up a ham sandwich from American Bagel at O'Hare to eat while I waited for the next Metra train to take me home.

G&L Topic My picks are based on picking something I don't already have:

80's - Fullerton Red or Black HG-2. Close runner-ups: SC-2 and SC-1 in first body style (Fullerton Red or Viking Blue) with Locktight bridge.
90's - ASAT III is 3TSB and black crinkle hardware
00's - Custom Creations F-100 Return Edition
10's - Fullerton Deluxe Skyhawk HH in OSTS
20's - CLF Research Espada natural with the maple neck and black block inlays.

Music Content I just re-tubed my Vox AC15C1 this morning. Last Sunday I noticed that the tubes were going micro-phonic. The bass player was really making it rattle. The power section I installed matched set Mullard EL84s. For the preamp section I installed a matched set of Mullard 12AX7s in V1 and V2 and a Tung-Sol balanced output in V3. The retainer clips didn't work real well with the new tubes. This was my first time changing tubes. Seemed like the tube was I bit longer and the tip shorter. So I'm searching for some better retainers.

A couple weeks ago, I stopped at vinyl shop in Stutervan, WI, that was on my way home from the factory I had to visit. I miss the days of record stores. Many found memories hanging out in record shops. I found a few pieces of vinyl to bring home: a couple Guadalcanal Diary albums (2X4 and Jamboree), Pere Ubu Songs of the Bailing Man, Oyster Band Wide Blue Yonder, and Lou Reed Live Take No Prisoners. So that was a stop well worth making.

Non-Music Topic Not originally from Iowa, but most of my youth was in Eastern Iowa (Marion). My parents still live in the same town which I lived in all through elementary and high school. My parents have moved twice since I graduated high school. Growing up, all wanted to do was get out of Iowa. Looking back, it is not as bad as I thought it was. Occasionally, when I'm back, I'll walk my dog past the house I grew up in. Even though it isn't as bad as I used to feel about it, I have no real desire to move back. There are places I like to visit: Decorah and the Upper Iowa River, Backbone State Park, Palisade State Park... At least they are starting to get some better beer in the state.

Thanks for the lunch report!

Cheers, Dan

Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:06 pm

Hey Danley,

Great stuff and a needed lunch report! :happy0065:

My picks over the decades would be:
80’s Broadcaster
90’s GbLE
00’s Will Ray Signature ASAT Z3
10’s ASAT Classic Solamente
20’s Espada

Music content
Love the Arbor score. Bought an Arbor Tele and modded it a few years back. Have been to a few guitar shows and love the volume of guitars, amps etc, like a museum you get play the displays. Never bought anything of significance but could change this year at an upcoming show.

Non music
Moved around growing up from coast to coast so no opportunity to re-visit. 4 elementary schools and 2 high schools.

Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:28 pm

a groundhog super bowl pre-valentine lunch report, pretty special!
lunch today was meatball sandwich and some potato wedges.

G&L's i'd like to get from the decades? hmmm...
80's HG-2
90's climax with a floyd rose
2000's trans red asat with wood binding
20teens ASAT with belair green
2020+ espada with old school tobacco sunburst

guitar shows? never done one, but i have seen them advertised within a 50 mile radius.
I think my wife would be nervous if i went to one of those. That pink strat looks pretty cool, and so do the jaguars!
I'd like to go to one of these vintage guitar stores like they have in Nashville. That's on the bucket list.

old home towns? i do go back every now and then for a look see. Warrington Pa is certainly very suburbanized since i was there from '65-'74, and Columbus NJ has changed very little. My dad's description of the town of Columbus: "bums move out, bums move in" .
I went to high school there, and got into guitar there. Lots of memories, most of them good, especially the music. My brothers were both talented musicians, and conveniently, they played drums and bass. '75-'78 were great years to come up as a rock guitarist, so much great music all around us and lots of great gigs!