Lunch Report - Happy Holidays!

Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:29 am

Not gathered for one in a while so:

Lunch: Thinking about either a Del Taco Impossible California Burrito (I'm intrigued by Impossible meat, and the more you season it to death the less it matters whether it was once cow,) or a Burger King Whopper (doesn't have to be Impossible.) I haven't eaten at Burger King in years, always sort of enjoyed them, and they seem to be going extinct.

G&L Subject: Anyone have an eye out for holiday sales/late Black Friday stuff? The last couple years I came very close to picking up a Bel Air Green US ASAT, or a Himalayan SC2 when Musician's Friend blew those out - but haven't seen any ridiculous sales come up this year, which is probably for the best. Anyone find any ridiculous bargains or also keeping an eye out for them in the G&L aisle?

Music Subject: And sort of G&L related :) How much do you value gear companies that have a 'custom shop' or allow a 'choose your own adventure' approach at least? I no longer feel it's wise for a consumer to do that (nor for a company to offer.) Empirically when a company offers a Custom Shop, customer service suffers across the board; I'm not sure the mechanics behind that are in the realm of guitars, but it can be very difficult to get in touch with companies such as (for a random example) Seymour Duncan, which offers both 'floor customs' and an actual Custom Shop apart from their regular line. Email/phone lines often seem nonexistent. I hear echoes of those difficulties in feedback on many other companies that purport to offer 'custom' options, and a lot of vocal customers balk at the cost of 'simple' items they get 'gouged' on - of course there are exponential costs to disrupting production on any regular process, that consumers don't see.

That customer experience compounds the second aspect - disappointment. Expectations are very high when a customer specs a 'perfect' guitar, often by using information/old wives tales that are less than perfect. The customer expects the world from their 'dream' guitar - but in reality, a guitar can be absolute quality, flawless, and on paper identical to the next guitar on the assembly line - and still not play/sound the same as another identical guitar at all. There can be a dozen Les Pauls or Strats on the wall identical in feature and construction to each other; and there might only be one out of those that bonds with you and you want to take home. While a guitar you spec. out yourself may be more likely to play/sound satisfactory to you, it's still a dice roll. The opposite approach is to *not* work backward from materials as a consumer, but actually go into a retailer and play however many guitars until you find the one that 'speaks' to you - without regard to the materials, pickups etc. When you find the one you can't put down, buy that :) I don't think the customer can necessarily always know better than the factory, or better than random chance.

TLDR, I'm starting to not see any value in 'Custom Shops' - but that may be in part because I'm a project person by nature, and have plenty of guitars I'd DIY 'improvements' on myself after the fact without the up-charge - but I also have guitars I'd NEVER touch from the factory after playing and loving how they sound (hence why I bought them.)

Non-Music: Holiday Meals; what's on the menu? Keeping in mind the 'new' phenomena of fake meats, I happen to be the last of my siblings who is not a vegetarian/pescetarian; my brother joined the fold last year (he ridiculed my sister over it for years, but then finally gave up and joined her.) I was a vegetarian for several years (primarily for environmental related reasons) and stopped almost ten years ago (when I lost that idealism and got tired of how difficult it was to maintain proper nutrition without meat.) So it's always fish for Christmas in my family (both my siblings make a special allowance even for that on the holiday.)

Can't say I mind that - going back to 'fake meat' as a new phenomena, I wouldn't be opposed to being a vegetarian again if it was made convenient enough to do so. I don't necessarily 'crave' meat like a lot of people claim to and was more or less fine without it for a few years (though of course certain things I would go into a quandary over - Tritip mostly.) My other family members will certainly have non-vegetarian dishes at their celebrations, but I'm not really a fan of holiday fare; once a decade is enough for me to have turkey, ham, yams etc. Wondering if you have any special dining planned for the holiday?

Re: Lunch Report - Happy Holidays!

Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:42 pm

Lunch was a salami sandwich, apple, granola bar, and passion fruit flavored sparking water.

G&L Topic:

Yes, I have been checking for holiday sales, but I haven't really seen anything on G&L products. TBH, been searching for a ridiculous deal on a Jazzmaster. Still searching...

Music Subject:

I'm probably not going to be in the market for a Custom Shop guitar. I do however value the "Option Order" model. I like to personalize things, and I'm willing to take the risk that I my vision may not meet my expectations. I like some of the more bold finishes like Margarita Metallic which likely never going to be a spec run finish. Two of my guitars were option order. The only spec I would have changed was my pickguard choice for the LE-2 (though what I want is not an option - I want brushed aluminum - I could always take grit sandpaper to the mirror guard to simulate the look). I understand, the resale is not going to be great on Custom Shop or Option Order - but then I don't plan to sell them. And yes, I can totally get why a company would want to avoid such a business model.

I mention I have been on a hunt for a Jazzmaster. At first I was really thinking of building a Jazzmaster inspired project,, but when I add up the costs I could buy new one for less. Most bodies and necks combined get me to almost 80% the cost of MIM Jazzmaster, and I still need hardware, pickups, custom pickguard for the non standard pickup configuration and the electronics. What I wanted to do was make one in Firemist gold, with some sort of red pickgaurd, I was going to have white S-500 MFDs in it, but place the bridge neck pickups right next to each other to form a make shift humbucker that could be switch parallel, series, or single mode. All the pickups would be installed at an angle like a Mustang. Oh, I also wanted a roasted maple neck. Started adding it up and just couldn't justify it.

Non-Music Topic:

We have no traditional holiday meal. Growing up we were always travelling to visit the grand parents and extended family. Christmas eve was one set of grand parents. Christmas day was usually the aunt and uncles and we would go out to eat. Christmas evening was then at the other grand parents. These days, it is just visiting my folks and my mother-in-law, so it is what ever they want to make. I'll just help out however I can.

Thanks for the lunch report!

Cheers, Dan

Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:54 pm

The Mexican ‘Classic Lacquer’ Jazzmasters are amazing guitars, used they’re $500 - $700 ; wonderful out of the box. Apparently they’ve now been replaced by the Vintera Jazzmasters which seem to be the same core guitar. Aside from that I’d pick up an American Professional - tempted by the metallic teal :)

Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:55 am

Yeah, I really like the Sea Mist Metallic color. I also really like the Sonic Gray. Can't decide which one I like better. I've seen a few used ones between $1000-$1100. I'm also intrigued by the current CME limit edition players model.

Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:13 am

Lunch ( yesterday ) a couple of small roast beef sandwiches grilled panini style and a cinnamon doughnut at work.

I have become intrigued with the Doheny V12's since they came out, particularly the Pharoah Firemist gold version. I even went and played a Jazzmaster to see how I liked the form factor. I'm not holding my breath I would ever be able to get one on sale. I'm not in rush but if it's going to be a Jazzmaster type, its going to be a V12.

Not really interested in custom shop guitars since unless it was to choose a colour I liked , which I could do through option order.

My Wife and I are hosting my sister and her family at our place this year. I was never a big Turkey fan but I have come around in the last little while. We always have some laughs and its laid back so we have fun. I went to Fat Burger in the summer and tried the beyond meat version . I really enjoyed it and thought it tasted good, however I am under no illusions that it was better for me ( highly processed and almost the same amount of calories ). In the last year my red meat consumption has dropped dramatically so if I want meat , I eat it.

P.S.
If I could ever get time off at Christmas we would go somewhere on vacation in a heartbeat, 30+ years in the grocery business has almost completely killed any enjoyment of any "Holiday" for me. Not as bad the last few season's but the damage has been done.

Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:32 am

I had lunch yesterday with my wife and grandaughter, cauliflower crust pizza and some quinoa/spinach salad at california pizza kitchen. Was out for some tax free Christmas shopping!

I like G&L's belair green finish, i may try to acquire something with that color if the right one comes along.
I first saw a belair green finish on a custom shop les paul at Manny's in NYC back in the '90's, really caught my eye.
Re: custom shop, probably not, I'm a bargain hunter by nature.

Re: holiday foods, I'm going to try to limit the cookies and chocolate as much as possible this year. We have a big brunch at our place Christmas morning with our 4 kids and their families. My wife gets really creative with various breakfast dishes. No mystery meats!
Happy holidays to all!

Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:42 am

They had price reduction Saturday on their CME exclusive Player Series Jazzmaster with 4-way switch. So decided to get on of these. It arrived yesterday, but didn't have much time to play or take any good pictures. Here is one of their stock images:

Cheers, Dan

Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:32 am

Wow, that’s awesome - really unique guitar, it has more in common with the new Vintera series (standard vibrato placement, single coil) than the standard/non-CME Player (which has the Mascis/Classic Player vibrato spacing & humbuckers.) Great color - looks like they used the Classic Player adjustable pole pickups on these too, or else something similar. Let us know how it sounds!

Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:37 am

I agree, it seems to be more in common with the Vintera series. The specs:

Body: Alder
Body Finish: Gloss Polyester
Neck Material: Maple
Neck Finish: Satin Urethane Finish on Back of Neck with Gloss Urethane Headstock Face
Neck Shape: Modern "C"
Scale Length: 25.5" (648 mm)
Fingerboard: Pau Ferro
Fingerboard Radius: 9.5" (241 mm)
Number of Frets: 22
Frets Size: Medium Jumbo
String Nut: Synthetic Bone
Nut Width: 1.650" (42 mm)
Position Inlays: White Dots
Bridge Pickup: Pure Vintage 65 Reissue Jazzmaster
Neck Pickup: Pure Vintage 65 Reissue Jazzmaster
Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
Pickup Switching: Series/Parallel 4-Way Select Switch
Electronics: Body routed for, but not outfitted from factory with, rhythm circuit. Ready to be installed with ease by your tech.
Bridge: 6-Saddle Vintage-Style Adjustable with “Floating” Tremolo Tailpiece
Hardware Finish: Nickel/Chrome
Tuning Machines: Standard Cast/Sealed
Pickguard: 3-Ply Mint Green
Control Knobs: Aged White Plastic

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/li ... e/24012435

Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:47 am

Electronics: Body routed for, but not outfitted from factory with, rhythm circuit. Ready to be installed with ease by your tech.

:lol: I know the American Professional line carried on new body routing (from the American Special) that gives you a slot up there for the pickup selector but not more room than that. Glad CME points out that you can install the rhythm circuit (probably because they use the Vintera body) - not sure whether I would go through the effort, I actually use the thing for a quick volume cut when I need it, but I can live without it.

I think they may have a typo on the pickups though; I thought the 'Pure Vintage' pickups would refer to the A5 pole ones below, rather than the Classic Player/Mascis style 'P90s' : https://www.amazon.com/Fender-Pure-Vint ... 5203&psc=1

Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:03 am

It doesn't have adjustable/screw pole pieces. It just looks like that in the stock picture. This is the only quick picture I took last night (blurry...). They are slug pole pieces. You'll need to open it in new window.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KWJMKKrG4fuD4hnw6