Lunch Report for Friday July 2, 2010

Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:19 am

Another early one because I am heading out the door to put in a little playing time.

Thinking though I might win the prize for the most typos in a week's worth of Lunch Reports.

Today is more like a planned lunch report. I am planning to go visit a friend and offer to buy him lunch. I am guessing that miight mean a pizza from the Conoco Station on 6th Street. No kidding, they got one of those conveyor belt pizza making systems. Ya know, it ain't any worse and in fact is better than alot of pizza places out there.

Local Food Stars

Speaking of gas station pizza have any of your local eateries been featured on one of those food channel shows? We have had one. Forgive me if I do not get the name of the show right on target but Bobo's Drive-Inn made it to Diner's Dives and Drive Inn's. They do make a glorious steak burger. Yummy.

G&L Thought of the Day

We can all go on forever about the quality fo G&L Guitars but there is something else I truly like about them. At one time Leo Fender, Ted McCarty and others gave you the best they had on an off the shelf guitar. You might be able to choose between number of pickups, color, but essentially each instrument had the same build quality and electronics.

I ain't knockin' these guys cuz I still love their musical goodies but these days you need a score card and glossary to keep up with the number of say Teles or Les Pauls offered. And if you want they best they offer, you better dig deep into your pockets.

My point is I can walk into any store and get the best G&L has to offer right off the wall. If I want I can certainly order binding, a fancy neck or whatever but that is my choice. I can pay for it or not.

To me this is part of Leo's legacy and I raise a glass to BBE for respecting it and for making my life a whole lot flippin' easier because I get confused easy.

The one That Got Away

The guitar that was a definitey you snooze you lose thing. For me it was that ASAT '50. Man I wanted one but came to the game a bit too late. Are you listening Tim?

Profound Thought For the Day

I played my first gig in 1966. I had alot more chutzpah than talent back then but was sure fame and fortune were right around the corner. Anyway, at that age I thought I had all the time in the world to learn how to really play the guitar.

Now looking at 60, that time ain't there. Can't blame Father Time really - I was never a disciplined player so never adopted a pratice regimen or anything. And I have the attention span of a gnat.

I have certainly become a better player learning things like the notes you don't play are as important as those you do. My hands though are not as quick as they once were and while I can still strap on a guitar and play all night I sure can't do it as often as I used to. Yet, it does not really bother me. I figure while I ain't near as good as I wanted to be I am also not near as lousy a player as I think I am.

Last Pics Yup, more acoustics (sorry, I ain't got no more electrics) - the Big Boys.

My favorite acoustic - a 1956 Gibson SJ

The acoustic that has been with me the longest - 1960 J-200

My favorite acoustic pickups - the DeArmond 210 - think Lightnin' Hopkins and Elmore James

Ya'll have a great July 4th and be careful out there. And Bassman don't get in any trouble with all those nubile bodies giving you a come hither look.

Re: Lunch Report for Friday July 2, 2010

Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:20 am

G&L Thought of the Day

We can all go on forever about the quality fo G&L Guitars but there is something else I truly like about them. At one time Leo Fender, Ted McCarty and others gave you the best they had on an off the shelf guitar. You might be able to choose between number of pickups, color, but essentially each instrument had the same build quality and electronics.

I ain't knockin' these guys cuz I still love their musical goodies but these days you need a score card and glossary to keep up with the number of say Teles or Les Pauls offered. And if you want they best they offer, you better dig deep into your pockets.

My point is I can walk into any store and get the best G&L has to offer right off the wall. If I want I can certainly order binding, a fancy neck or whatever but that is my choice. I can pay for it or not.

To me this is part of Leo's legacy and I raise a glass to BBE for respecting it and for making my life a whole lot flippin' easier because I get confused easy. [/quote]

Have to agree here, especially with respect to anything Gibson, they just keep making more and more lines between the quality you expect to get, and what they are giving you. I am of the mind set these lines exist for 1 reason, to jack of the price of the 'real deal'. If you create a new model to sit at 1500, where you premier model was , you can now sell it for 1800, and so on. Make a nice sliding scale to get the guitar that should cost 1/3 what it does.

Another company that does not have variance in quality is my go to guys, Carvin. Everything, even the basic bolt for less than 700 is all build out of the same woods, and gets the same attention. There is no 'bargain line'. Haven't seen any companies aside from G&L and Carvin though. Then again why would I need to look any farther?

Profound Thought For the Day

I have certainly become a better player learning things like the notes you don't play are as important as those you do. My hands though are not as quick as they once were and while I can still strap on a guitar and play all night I sure can't do it as often as I used to. Yet, it does not really bother me. I figure while I ain't near as good as I wanted to be I am also not near as lousy a player as I think I am.

It is easy to downplay our own ability, as we've likely been there for a while, or if we can do it, so can everyone else right? Not looking forward to the aging thing myself, but I didn't take the route that even had hope of 'making it'. I chose to do engineering, for the reason that an engineer can buy more guitars :twisted:

Last Pics Yup, more acoustics (sorry, I ain't got no more electrics) - the Big Boys.

That gibby has seen the worst, looks fun.

2 pickguards eh, just screams flail wildly you cannot hurt this one.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:17 pm

The Loin's Tap is a great burger place out here. Don't eat there enough...

I haven't missed any opps, but sold a few that I regret, including a Martin 12 string and an original B.C. Rich Warlock(a giant amazing instrument in white and ebony).

Have a great weekend!

Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:13 am

Ya'll have a great July 4th and be careful out there. And Bassman don't get in any trouble with all those nubile bodies giving you a come hither look.

I am about to find out if I will see anything that would get me in trouble, but I can assure you that I will only be looking on from the band stand tonight. LOL
You guys have a great and safe Fourth of July celebration.

See ya,

bassman