Lunch Report For Thursay July 1, 2010

Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:30 am

Happy July everybody,

Gotta do the LR a bit early today. I will be out of pocket much of the day (which I had totally forgotten about) and eating on the run. Expecting to not be running amuck somewhere, I made me a treal Nancy Boy sandwich. Cream cheese with cucumber slices and sprouts stuffed in a pita. But alas, I may not get to eat it as I will probably end up stopping by McDonalds or something. Guess I deserved a break today.

July 4 Gigs:
Anybody gigging as part of the July 4 celebrations? I will be doing some time with a thrown together band. No pay but free BBQ.

Big Question of the Day:

What guitar out there that you know is a great piece of lumber, I mean a fine guitar in every respect, but one that even if given to you as a gift you would throw in the back seat of the car and head over to Buffalo Brothers to trade for something else?

For me it would be a Rickenbacker. They are well built, beautiful guitars with a unique sound. The problem is I have never been able to figure out what to do with that sound other than maybe some strumming and playing Byrd songs or something. I keep thinking though if I played rhythm guitar regulalry in a band a Ric might be worth having. But I don't.

Yankee Ingenuity

I cannot thank Leo Fender, George Fullerton, Ted McCarty, Seth Lover and others enough for the wonderful gift they have given us. They applied some good old Yankee Ingenuity and came up with those wonderous guitars - all different but all capable of bringing a smile to your face. But there are also those who we all owe a debt to whose last names do not grace headstocks or have signature models out in their honor.

One guy who came up with some cool stuff was Joseph Zorzi, a violin and cello maker who started off with Lyon and Healy and in the early 1920s went to work for what would later become Kay. One of the things he came up with was an adjustable neck for an acoustic (bet ya'll thought Bob Taylor was the first to come up with that). And it works like a dream. Here is my mid-1930s Kay with the Zorzi adjutsable neck.

Re: Lunch Report For Thursay July 1, 2010

Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:08 am

Gotta go with the Rick as well. The neck just does not sit well with me. Gretsch comes close as well.

I just want to see this car load of gitars headed to BBrothers, talk about pickin' and grinnin'! :happy0007:

Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:22 am

Tim Buffalo Bros wrote:[color=#FFBF00]I head down to Buffalo Bros almost every day with a guitar in the back seat! ;)

The real question is how many times do you head up from Buffalo Brothers toward home with a guitar in the back seat. Fewer, more or about the same.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:52 pm

I don't gig :(

I'm thinking a Gretsch Electric Hollow-body. I just traded my 5120 Electromatic for a PRS SE. I loved everything about the Gretsch and still drool when I see a White Falcon but I just don't do them enough justice to keep one around. :confused0007:

Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:14 pm

zombywoof wrote:
Tim Buffalo Bros wrote:[color=#FFBF00]I head down to Buffalo Bros almost every day with a guitar in the back seat! ;)

The real question is how many times do you head up from Buffalo Brothers toward home with a guitar in the back seat. Fewer, more or about the same.

The real question is how many times you get pulled over on the ride home! - ed

Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:40 pm

I don't have any gigs, celebrated Canadas independance with some Settlers of Catan and tennis. Sure they would be a blast though.

Guitars I would just ditch, Most any strat, the narrow feeling neck, congested fretboard feel, high radius. Blech. On the other hand I've never really had my hands on an LP I bonded with either. Last instrument that spoke to me was a G&L ASAT, despite the heavy radius. My Bass and C66 speak to me, but I guess damn, I must be picky. I don't care how good a guitar sounds, I have to love the feel of it in my hand.

That adjustable neck thing is pretty cool, actually haven't seen something like that before. But then again I do not play acoustic. That guitar looks swell for something from the 30s.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:47 pm

Look sirmyghin:

The fact that you are a rising star here does not in my view ameliorate the fact that you don't play an acoustic guitar at all.

I love G&L guitars and have for some time and own more than my meager talents could possibly justify. Still, given my situation, I end up playing acoustic guitar mostly. Mine is a Rhode Island Guild, but that is of little importance....

I suck but still it's kind of a romantic thing. The noise you make is a product of your fingers and your simple acoustic instrument. There is no electronic signal to amplify no circuits to color or modify your sound.

Go buy a Seagull or a Yamaha or something. Good values and both and money well spent. I'm betting you can make 'em sing! - ed

Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:08 pm

sirmyghin wrote:Guitars I would just ditch, Most any strat, the narrow feeling neck, congested fretboard feel, high radius. Blech.

Man, I love me a Lousiville Slugger neck on a guitar. I think that is one of the reasons I like the old acoustics so much.

Gotta tell ya though about the thinnest necks I have ever played (next to an old Hagstrom) are on the pre-BBE G&Ls. Lordy those things are pencil thin.
I think the best thing BBE did was to come out with necks with some meat on them.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:05 am

I have a pool party gig on Saturday July 3 with my band RAGs. We are the first band that this pool has had in 20 years so the people are pretty excited to have a live band. BBQ, keg and drinks plus nubile bodies lyin' in the sun! And we get paid- Not too shabby!

I own a lot of guitars that I don't use regularly, so I have to think about this one. If i get something unusual, it's usually worth more to me as a guitar than the money I can get for it. So I keep it just in case I need it someday.
I will admit that I don't own a 12 string electric though.

Hey Woof- I have a guitar called a May Bell Cathedranola. Its a simulated resonator guitar with a wood soundboard that is covered with a metal front. It was made by Slingerland to compete with National and Dobro.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:42 am

bassman wrote:I have a pool party gig on Saturday July 3 with my band RAGs. We are the first band that this pool has had in 20 years so the people are pretty excited to have a live band. BBQ, keg and drinks plus nubile bodies lyin' in the sun! And we get paid- Not too shabby!

Hey Woof- I have a guitar called a May Bell Cathedranola. Its a simulated resonator guitar with a wood soundboard that is covered with a metal front. It was made by Slingerland to compete with National and Dobro.

We will be out by a lake but with the crowd we draw, there will be plenty of bodies but not alot of nubile.

Hamrony made one of those phoney baloney resonators too. Had the cover but nothing but the guitar beneath it. Definitely a what were they thinking moment.

Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:39 am

Swift justice. Love it! - ed