Lunch Report For Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:08 am

Lordy, ya'll are a hard bunch to please. But my thanks to all who chimed in.

Lunch today is going to be on the fly - some fast food joint. Probably Wendy's and if so I will get a Southwest Taco salad with some refreshing beveridge.

I gotta admit lunch is usually pretty perfunctory for me. Just want to get something in my gut. I have no problem with fast food joints but limit myself to maybe one visit a week. When it comes to salads I do like Wendys. When it comes to burgers I am a stone cold Hardees guy although there are those days when only a Big Mac will do. For my daughter it is Happy Meal Chicken McNuggets. I don't know who invented the idea of putting some little toy in those things but they did not pay that guy near enough.

So how about the rest of ya'll. Is lunch a bright spot of your day or just a bit of time you take to wolf something down?

Yesterday I alluded to my semi-ownership of a G&L geetar. I have not owned a ton of G&Ls. To date I have had me one Broadcaster, two 1986 ASATs, a butterscotch Classic S, and a 1985 Interceptor. All were great instruments but the two I liked the best were a black '86 ASAT (which zapcosongs is currrently having a good time with) and the Interecptor. I had played a 1958 Tele for a whole lotta decades and when I first showed up with that Interceptor my friends darn near called an intervention on my butt. I gotta admit it took me a bit to warm up to the looks but I ended up liking that guitar so much that after I sold it once I bought it back. I ended up having to sell it again and now I am buying it back again. All I need is to get the rest of the cash together. I just cannot get that guitar out of my head and I am thinking the third time will be the charm.

Drumroll please...

So, has anybody else out there sold a guitar and then missed it so much you bought it back?

Here is another one of my acoustic kids. This little beauty is what I consider the best bang for your buck acoustic out there - a 1958-62 (no date stamp on this one) Harmony Sovereign jumbo. All solid wood - a bookmatched spruce top, mahogany sides and one piece mahogany back (try finding that today on a guitar), pinless bridge, bound body and neck, and shellac finish. This one is showing alot of battle scars. Nah, it ain't a Martin D-18 but for $100 (plus the cost of a neck reset) it sure does get me into the ballpark. Since this pic was taken I have oiled the board which was about as dry as I have ever seen, put on a truss rod cover scrounged from another Harmony and a repro tort pickguard.

Happy Lunch Ya'll.

Re: Lunch Report For Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:00 am

Is lunch a bright spot of your day or just a bit of time you take to wolf something down?

If I make lunch it's in the "wolf something down" category. If someone else makes it, sometimes it makes it to the "bright spot of your day" category.

I've only sold one personal instrument ever, and I have no desire to get it back.

-Brock

Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:43 am

Great flippin' answer about lunch Brock! Ain't it the truth.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:57 am

Lunch is something I tend to just wolf down, but I am finicky and get bored too. Getting bored of what I have around leads to a lot of not eating lunch, always a bad idea. Only happens when I am not 'working' parsay though.

I have never sold an instrument, thinking of selling 1, but that is all, I don't think I would miss it. I gave away the guitar I learned on, don't miss it either ( a squier strat, share the love haha). Never really liked the sound it had (needs a pickup swap, or maybe a run with the new amp and some strings that don't feel like sandpaper)

Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:23 am

I think I tend to appreciate my lunch break more than the actual lunch. I like getting out of the office, but often have a hard time deciding where or what to eat.

As far as selling instruments, I used to think you'd have to pry them from my cold, dead hands. But that was back when I never bought an instrument without playing it first. Since the dawn of eBay and online shopping, it seems that inventory in the brick and mortar stores has dried up (at least locally). We have a big box that moved to town and ran some of the used gear joints out of business.

So in the last few years I've bought things with more of a mindset that I can always turn around and sell something if it doesn't work for me. I bought a G&L Climax Bass on eBay because the BIN price was insanely low and I knew I could flip it. It was a great bass, but I've never been into active electronics, so I did just that. Made a quick couple of hundred bucks. More recently, I sold an LB-100 to a friend. Great bass and one I'd logged a lot of miles on, but it wasn't seeing much action and he was looking for a solid P bass. I've got first refusal on that one in case he ever decides to unload it.

Just scored an F-100 off eBay at a great price with the idea that I might just flip it. But after playing it a bit I think it's sticking around. I have another one, but it's a Series I and this is a Series II. Gotta have one of each, right?

Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:27 am

Ha! That old Interceptor again! I should have known.....

You know that thing is a freak of nature, don't you? ;+)

You may get that one back, just don't come after the '86 ASAT unless you want to get hurt :BangBang:

- ed

btw: My lunch today was a single cold piece of leftover (supermarket) pizza. What does that tell ya?

Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:04 pm

zapcosongs wrote:btw: My lunch today was a single cold piece of leftover (supermarket) pizza. What does that tell ya?
\

That you messed up - everyone knows cold pizza is one of the best breakfasts around.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:08 pm

Tim Buffalo Bros wrote:
P.S.: I think you ought to ask what's the SHORTEST time you've owned a guitar? My answer would be 2 weeks!

Hey Tim, when you buy a guitar and you bring it home and your wife is sitting there, do you use the its "inventory" line?

Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:26 pm

sirmyghin wrote:I have never sold an instrument, thinking of selling 1, but that is all, I don't think I would miss it. I gave away the guitar I learned on, don't miss it either ( a squier strat, share the love haha). Never really liked the sound it had (needs a pickup swap, or maybe a run with the new amp and some strings that don't feel like sandpaper)

Some of the worst mistakes I ever made were selling guitars. I just sold a mid-1930s Kay Kraft Model B and am aleardy having second thoughts. But in the end it was not getting any time out of the case and I have more acoustics than I need.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:31 pm

zombywoof wrote:
sirmyghin wrote:I have never sold an instrument, thinking of selling 1, but that is all, I don't think I would miss it. I gave away the guitar I learned on, don't miss it either ( a squier strat, share the love haha). Never really liked the sound it had (needs a pickup swap, or maybe a run with the new amp and some strings that don't feel like sandpaper)

Some of the worst mistakes I ever made were selling guitars. I just sold a mid-1930s Kay Kraft Model B and am aleardy having second thoughts. But in the end it was not getting any time out of the case and I have more acoustics than I need.

This one has no resale value anyway. It is a carvin, about 1k new. The alder has swelled under the paint with time giving 'lamination lines' or line checks following the grain in the paint, visible but not feelable and not affecting the clear. So it is 'damaged' even though it lived mostly in case. I play to swap out the pickups, maybe take off the entire finish and redo it with dye/oil, unless of course the pickups warm up to the new amp really well, and you never know, they just might. I don't mind the neck and middle, but the bridge pickup is not me. If I were to sell it all that in mind I might get 350, not worth it to me.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:51 pm

zombywoof wrote: For my daughter it is Happy Meal Chicken McNuggets. I don't know who invented the idea of putting some little toy in those things but they did not pay that guy near enough.

So that's where all of those old ground up Barbies go.

zombywoof wrote:So how about the rest of ya'll. Is lunch a bright spot of your day or just a bit of time you take to wolf something down?

It's rare that I actually sit down for a lunch anywhere. My lunch is usually made up of a yogurt and a Cliff Bar. That said, while good, those Blueberry Cliff Bars have a load of sugar in them. I'll bet they're not so great for my teeth.
zombywoof wrote:... when I first showed up with that Interceptor my friends darn near called an intervention on my butt. "... " I ended up liking that guitar so much that after I sold it once I bought it back." "... I ended up having to sell it again and now I am buying it back again."

As far as the third time being the charm; It had better be. If you sell it to me next time, there won't be a fourth. They are one of the coolest guitars. Congratulations on your future re-ownership.

zombywoof wrote:So, has anybody else out there sold a guitar and then missed it so much you bought it back?

I haven't yet had this happen. However, if I sold my '86 ASAT or '91 put-together ASAT III, that would almost certainly change.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:58 pm

Wish it wasn't the case, but lunch is usually just an excuse to put some calories in my gut.

I'm not much of a trader so any gear I've sold has gone without regret.
Seems I've been hearing about those old Harmony guitars quite a bit lately. Have to keep an eye out for `em I guess.

Jeff

Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:06 pm

I like lunch. It gets me out of the office and into some fresh air- usually.

I have a Harmony Sovereign. The repair guy who did the neck reset put on a pin bridge. Since he was learning how to do neck resets I couldn't complain because the price was free.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:24 pm

There are only two kinds of Sovereigns - those that have had a neck reset and those that need a neck reset.

The Harmony Sovereign has earned itself a little slice of rock history. Supposedly Jimmy Page used a 1960 Sovereign in the studio when recording Zep III and IV and toured with it from 1970-1972. I figure the only reason they are not considered a hot collector item and selling for thousands and thousands of dollars is that I own one.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:00 pm

Hey Zomby, unreal busy yesterday and yep I remember the BBerry days, had some p-ups I liked a lot.

So how about the rest of ya'll. Is lunch a bright spot of your day or just a bit of time you take to wolf something down?
Lucky if I get it lately.

So, has anybody else out there sold a guitar and then missed it so much you bought it back?
One of my 62 tele's. Happily got back after about 8-9 years. :banana:
[url]Image[/url]

Gotta get one of those Intercepters one day. :)

Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:13 am

zombywoof wrote:There are only two kinds of Sovereigns - those that have had a neck reset and those that need a neck reset.

Mine is the third kind of Sovereign. - It has had a neck reset and now needs it done again!
I don't think the first reset was done right. A lesson in - 'you get what you pay for'
The action on mine is so high - you could drop a cat through it!
The guitar is a cannon though. It sounds great and I can always put on a capo to bring the action down.

I have sold two Peavey T-40 basses and bought a third just because they are good instruments. I haven't bought back the same one though.

There is one bass that I would like to buy back, but it is long gone. I had a 1970 Jazz Bass, with a matching black headstock, that had been made fretless. I sold that bass for 200 bucks, never to be seen again. :crazy: