Lunch Report 05/08 - Short & Simple Edition

Wed May 08, 2019 7:11 pm

Lunch
Was nothing; I worked through it. So I'll talk about dinner instead, my wife made duck - Which is one of the most appetizing things I can imagine eating, that has the worst smell when raw and being cooked. I really do enjoy it once it's prepared though.

Guitars
What's your first instinct when you get a new guitar? Do you totally disassemble it (whether it needs it or not) to check everything out, or are you more inclined to leave it bolted together? For a long time, the first thing I'd do when I got a guitar is disassemble it to the fullest extent possible - remove the neck, check the electronics, inspect every bit of it etc. This stopped a couple years ago - I've had my '87 SC3 for about a year and a half without ever taking a tool to it. I have a couple other guitars I've never removed the neck, or have only made basic tweaks to. Do you have any guitars that have been untouched, or do you dig in the moment you get them?

Off-Topic
Do you like superhero movies? I feel glad for anyone who does right now, since there's a new one coming out every month for the past several years - I used to be a fairly regular attendee at things like comic book conventions and a lot of people I know deemed 'nerds' in adolescence for being too into that stuff are really feeling redeemed now. I'm glad Disneyland is expanding with a lot of Marvel attractions that parents and kids both are able to equally enjoy... But I can't say I ever 'got' superheroes. If I did, I wonder if I would feel overwhelmed nowadays; although no one I know seems to be. From a young age, I wound up into things about a tier geekier. Star Trek for one - and due to exposure from a military upbringing and relatives, I got into anime/manga before most people ever heard of it - but I never wound up getting into American comic books. So where do you stand? Are you really excited about the new Avengers movie, or do you not care at all (since people seem to be in one of those two categories)

Music
Who's the most versatile voice you know of? In (semi-)popular music, I really have to give it to Mike Patton for his versatility. His vocals cover Jazz timbres in a lot of later Faith no More songs, to stereotypical '80s rock in the earlier days, to experimental sludge and metal in Tomahawk and Fantomas - yet he's primarily known for the only song he ever really rapped in (which I almost reluctantly include in the third example below.)

And it was hard to pick only three examples since he changes styles so frequently. From this:

phpBB [video]

To this:

phpBB [video]

To this:

phpBB [video]

Re: Lunch Report 05/08 - Short & Simple Edition

Thu May 09, 2019 7:18 am

Thanks for the lunch report Danley,

Lunch
Today, I'll have a kale salad topped with a hard boiled egg, some salsa, and dried jalepenos, with a couple of mini wedges of soft cheese.

Guitars
My first instinct is to play it, unless it's dirty, then my first instinct it to clean it. Then play it. If in playing it I notice anything that annoys me, then I want to fix whatever annoys me. Then I go back to playing it. I also identify anything that I think can be improved upon - how's the nut? The frets? The intonation? The pots? the heads? If anything strikes me as ready-to-be-serviced, I note that and start planning my 'restoration'. Unless I have something to fix, I typically don't disassemble. I've pretty much disassembled all my guitars at some point - with the exception of my two newest purchases. Not that I'm unwilling, but no reason to do so has presented itself yet.

Off Topic
I like the Marvel universe, over DC, and I've liked some of the Marvel movies, but I won't go see a movie just because it is a comic book movie. I had a room mate out of high school that I lived with for six years. He was a huge marvel fan, and I read a lot of Marcel comics because we didn't have a TV. I was never a big comic reader though. I got into Manga when the few who had heard about it still pronounced it wrong. As a martial artist myself, for several years, I really liked a lot of the martial arts mangas. I'm not excited about any new movies, including the New Avengers movie. I stopped watching TV about 20 years ago, so I am not inundated daily with movie ads etc. I find out about things through others who ask me - have you seen such and such? If there is enough buzz going around I'll look it up on google and see if it seems like a good show. I'm older now too, and don't feel the draw to see things immediately. I can wait till it shows up on Netflix.

Music
Tom Jones. Don't laugh, the guy has made significant money in a variety of music genres over several decades. Neil Diamond comes to mind as well, and Willie Nelson. Obviously Freddie Mercury, if one is just talking about pitch and creativity. Tyler Joseph (21 pilots) does well bridging rap-lite with pop music, and staying fresh as the industry morphs. There are so many versatile singers out there. Nina Simone, Taylor Swift. Johnny - freakin' -Cash, what a portfolio! Yeah, lots to choose from.

Here's Marc Martel, amazing range, amazing talent, though I admit, he sounds so much like Freddie Mercury, it sounds like Freddie Mercury singing a variety of styles and songs. Even though that's true, having the actual ability to do this, is crazy...
phpBB [video]

Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:29 am

why is this a 2015 post under 2019?

Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:51 am

bazzar wrote:why is this a 2015 post under 2019?

Danley posted this topic on Wed May 08, 2019 7:11 pm

I think you are confusing the "Joined" text in his banner in the Author column of the post, which says Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:23 pm.
That means he joined our site on that date.

Look at the Author section of your post:

bazzar

Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:29 am

You joined our site on Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:34 pm
and posted your message to this thread on Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:29 am.

Hope this helps.