Lunch Report - Friday 1st of March 2019

Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:57 am

Good morning. Haven't seen many lunch reports lately, so here's one for the end of the old week and start of the new month.

Lunch:
I'm going out for lunch so it'll be something fast-food within walking distance. Probably a foot long meatball sub from SubWay. Lots of banana peppers, jalapenos, lettuce, tomatoes, and mayo/salt/pepper. That'll suit me for the day.

-_-=-_-_-=-_-_-=-_-_-=-_-_-=-_-_-=-_-_-=-_-_-=-_-_-=-_-_-=-_-_-=-_-_-=-_-_-=-_-_-=-_

G&L Topic:
What finish is on the last G&L guitar you played?
I played my Amber burst Comanche last night for a while, so my answer is Amber Burst.

Followup question: How long did you play for?
I only played for about 15 or 20 minutes. I keep a couple of guitars in the living room to pull up and play as I wander around the house. So I typically play every day, about an hour or so, but only in little spurts of about 20 minutes here and there.

-_-=-_-_-=-_-_-=-_-_-=-_-_-=-_-_-=-_-_-=-_-_-=-_-_-=-_-_-=-_-_-=-_-_-=-_-_-=-_-_-=-_

Music:
What is the next "big" concert you're going to:
For me, I'm taking my daughter's to see 21 Pilots in May. They're not a guitar band, but I've come to really like their stuff, and it's an opportunity to take my older kids out for a night with their old dad.

Unrelated secondary music question: How often are you jamming with other musicians?
I play at church almost every week. We have some very talented musicians in the church, and mix it up. We have a great deal of fun, and I really enjoy getting to play each week with other musicians. I've been in a few bands in the past, like most of the musicians in our church, but I'm not in a band anymore, and so this becomes my weekly "musical fun". It also gives me a good excuse.... er ... reason to continue adding to my GAS induced collection...

Non Music Topic:
Local weather and events
When I was a lad, we used to walk to school in snow suits because you could literally hear your spit crackle as it froze before hitting the ground. (Life is fun in Canada). Not every day in winter was that cold, but every Canadian winter has days like that. This winter has been colder than most, and there's a lot of snow to go with that. So today when I left home and it was only -20 C or so (-4 F), which is warm enough that a Canadian doesn't even bother buttoning up his or her coat. Now it's positively warm out there, with a current temp of -11 C (12 F) - I don't even need mitts.

We have a local festival in my home town that runs annually at this time - a celebration of the "voyageurs" - i.e. those same fur traders and explorers who originally paved the way for European settlers to immigrate to this land. The culture of this exploration was predominantly French and Metis, and so the festival celebrates the food, music and culture of these early settlers by dressing in costume, and having various related activities through out the week or so that it runs. I mention the snow sculptures because for the past several years, the weather is usually cold enough at the start of the festival to support snow sculptures, but often by the end of the festival - the sculptures are soot covered lumps leaving their original likeness dirty and inscrutable.

How about everyone else? What's your Friday (or whatever day you are reading this) looking like?

Re: Lunch Report - Friday 1st of March 2019

Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:21 pm

Hey Dan, you're right, there have not been many LR's lately.

I have not eaten anything but coffee if that counts. Been pretty sick lately so I am trying to figure out why.

Actually, the last guitar I payed was my Cherry Gibson SG. I know that is blasphemy here but the truth. Other than that it's been my newly acquired ASAT II also in Cherry. I have also setup a couple guitars in the living room to encourage me to play more. No amp but just to fiddle around when I have the urge. Usually only pay for 20 - 30 mins.

Not planning any concerts, I just can't tolerate the crowds and hassle of traffic in the DC area and the shows I would go to are way overpriced. Santana is coming around this summer but it's a huge venue and I have seen him so many times I don't think I am missing much. I think it's the 25th anniversary Supernatural tour and I saw the original tour 4 times.

I almost never jam with other musicians anymore either. When we have family related functions I play with two of my brothers since we all play guitar, but that usually becomes a drunkin mess.

Local weather here sucks. It's always windy and the sun never really gets straight above your head so when driving around it seems like it's always in your eyes. When I lived in CT. years ago my friend who is an incredible artist in any medium lived in a house right on a main road in Westport. When we got substantial snow he would build incredible snow sculptures. Mostly he would make sculptures of naked women lounging around on the stone wall alongside the road. Sometimes in various sex acts. It would cause accidents and more than once the cops would stop by and either ask him to take them down or just smash them themselves. It was quite funny. Back in the days before phones and cameras everywhere so I wish I had some pics. My ex wife probably does.

Dan, are you in that picture somewhere or did you take it?

Happy Friday all.

Tom

Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:13 pm

Haven't posted much in a while so will do it here:

Lunch : Vending Machine chili dogs (pretty ugh.)

Last G&L Finish Played : They're all black; see below :)

Duration of play : 15 mins this morning (procrastinating before work.)

Next Concert : Two beach fests upcoming I may attend in Spring; one on Doheny Beach, the other at Redondo.

Last Jam : My guitar lesson Thursday

Weather : It's terrible; coldest, rainiest winter I've ever had in SoCal, highs have been right around 60 and lows in the 40s for what feels like a month. Then again, we were in the 80s around January. December is usually our coldest month, but for some reason this Feb. is colder by far.

Can't wait for this to end.

Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:13 pm

Natural Ash Skyhawk

How long did you play for?
An hour...would have been longer but I jumped to the drums (I'm not a drummer BTW)

What is the next "big" concert you're going to...
Contemplating Nick Mason, coming to Seattle in a couple weeks.

How often are you jamming with other musicians?
It's been a few months, one of the reasons I'm trying to lay down my own drum tracks.

What's your Friday (or whatever day you are reading this) looking like?
Sunny and brisk, but nice enough to get out and wash the truck.

Thanks for the LR,
I might have to try one this year ;)

cheers

Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:26 pm

Gotta get these LR's going again, yo! Still have at least 2 BBE pedals too!!!

G&L Topic:

Green. I'm not really a green guitar guy, but this one works... I put an hour in.

Wait! Wait! G&L guitar. Blue. 20 minutes (try to get through at least one song daily to get comfortable).

Music:
What is the next "big" concert you're going to:

King Crimson ===> Sep 10 • Chicago, IL

I haven't done any studio work 6+ months. I'd like to get the old band back together. That is a 2019 goal...

Non Music Topic:
Local weather and events

Minnesota has had all-time record snowfall. It's snowing now too. I'm done.

Cheers,
Will

Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:45 pm

Last G&L played has a Vintage White finish. Very vanilla and wouldn't have been my first choice...but it's really grown on me. I played last night for about 30 minutes. I have a hard time finding free time it seems.

Currently no shows lined up. I did notice Gary Clarke Jr. will be in Michigan this summer which is tempting me at the moment as I just discovered his new release "This Land". I'm not really a fan per se but it looks like he puts on a good show.
I really haven't played with other musicians since moving to my present location some ten plus years ago. Tried play with some guys a few times but it didn't really take hold. They were younger guys and it was the usual flaky band stuff. I would not mind trying to do something in the future but again the whole lack of spare time thing..

We've had a strange winter. Temps up and down. Snow, a surprising amount of freezing rain etc... Lots of snow down now. Had a blizzard last Sunday. Still open water on Lake Michigan and the vortex returns Sunday so I suspect more snow is coming.
Northern Michigan has some annual winter events but nothing I really get into. Tip-up Town (ice fishing festival). The I-500 snowmobile race. Ski races. The wife and I went to an eagle release a couple weeks ago. That was pretty cool. I guess it's a pretty bad winter when the eagles get iced up.

phpBB [video]

Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:33 pm

The last G&L, that I played was my 2002 Candy Apple Red, Asat Classic. I probably played it for 10 minutes.

I don't have any concert plans. I prefer sprint car racing and antique tractor and stationary engine shows over concerts.

I've played guitar for 40 years and I've never jammed with anyone.

Winter in Northwest Missouri has been great! Lot's of snow this year. I've had a lot of fun riding my ATV in the snow.

Sprinter 92

Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:09 pm

2 inches of new snow this morning! lunch was a disappointing pastrami sandwich and some reliable veggie veg soup.

last G&L played was the tan/gold '88 interceptor, 3 hours at band prax wednesday night. fun guitar to play and sounded great.

next big concert: i made a donation to local pbs radio station recently and the gift in return was 2 tix to see chick corea and bela fleck in late april in pa. 1 good turn begets another!

i jam regularly with a variety of musicians in different settings. music is my drug of choice. my big band (8 musicians) plays out 3-4 times per year and we usually rehearse weekly for a few weeks prior to a gig to tighten things up.

Dan, that's an impressive snow sculpture!
In Delaware, winters are like in DC, only worse! After my ski trip (bus) next friday, i will conceptually be done with winter.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:52 pm

Socal Superbloom :) Just a random freeway in the desert:

Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:37 am

FZTNT wrote:

Dan, are you in that picture somewhere or did you take it?

Neither Tom - though it would have been cooler if I was. I could easily (otherwise) have taken such pictures, or been in them, I was just on a break at work when the lark hit me: hey! Isn't it time for another Lunch Report? And I didn't have such photos on hand. So I had to go with what J.Q.Internet could supply.

The two Images were swiped from a google image search for 'Festaval du voyageur' I selected one to show the size of these sculptures, and the other because it reminded me of the first time I attended the festival - people dressed up for, and celebrating the occasion with, costumes and music contemporary to the period being celebrated.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:17 am

DanDoulogos wrote:The two Images were swiped from a google image search for 'Festaval du voyageur'...

Great! Now I feel better about displaying a non-G&L guitar...