Lunch Report for Thursday June 24, 2010

Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:05 am

Happy Thursday everyone! I’m very pleased with the responses we got yesterday, and was glad to see some old-timers chiming in. I appreciate all the great reading recommendations. Let’s try to keep things rolling here……

Breakfast is my favorite meal by far, so I think we’ll have some breakfast for lunch today. How abut some French Toast, bacon, and scrambled eggs? Sounds good to me! To make it a bit healthier, let’s have a nice thick slice of cool, sweet cantaloupe as well. Let’s wash it down with iced coffee to keep things chill.

We’re supposed to get up to near 100 degrees here in the DC area. We may have a strong thunderstorm this evening. We can use the rain, as we’re down several inches for the year. What’s it been like where you are, weather-wise? Our winter was the most brutal I’ve ever experienced, and the summer is starting out brutal as well.

Anyway, who else here enjoys breakfast any time of day? What’s your favorite breakfast fare? Regardless, what do you typically start your day with, food and beverage-wise? Who will admit to skipping breakfast or giving it the bum’s rush (some toast in the car on the way to work, ie…)?

Our musical question: How much time do you suppose you spend each week on your musical endeavors, and how does it break down? How much time do you spend practicing alone to get better? Playing for fun? Songwriting? Practicing with a band or collaborator? Recording? Looking at gear? Maintaining your gear? Reading Guitar Player or similar magazines? Ebay? Craigslist? Spend much time on music related message boards? ;+) Think about it and let’s hear about it. This time can add up!!!

Then tell us what you might do with all this time if you didn’t have music in your life.
Would you read more? Spend more time with family? Further your education? Get more sleep? Travel more? Spend more time on your other interests or explore new ones? Get a second job? I think this is interesting to consider….

That’s all I have for today. Stay cool and thank you for tuning in. I look forward to reading your responses as always. - ed

Re: Lunch Report for Thursday June 24, 2010

Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:13 am

I like Eggs Benedict and/or Belgian Waffles. Practice, etc, I try to give a guitar a workout at least once a day. No real time limit, except if rehearsing or learning something. If there were no music, I'd spend more time on everything else...
Last edited by replyman on Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:57 am

I love breakfast any time of the day except at breakfast time. Takes a few hours for my tummy to wake up in the a.m. Yeah, I also love eggs benedict. One of my favoite breakfasts is what I used to get when I wore a younger man's clothes in New York. Not real fancy, just a fried egg on a good Kaiser role. But ooh was that good. Then there were the breakfasts over at Ernie's (The Town Tavern) in Norman, OK. Pork chops, home fries, eggs, bacon, toast, coffee And lots of it. Got your daily quota of grease in one meal. If you got there early enough, Ernie would put you to work peeling potatoes. But it was the only place in town you could sit in for a couple of hours nursing a cup of coffee.

Music Stuff - I got the attention span of a gnat. I have never had the patience to sit down and practice something over and over again. I also get bored easily so I never play a song the same way twice which is the driving force behind me learning. I ain't happy unless I can play an E flat 7 chord twenty different ways. I will also just sit there during a quite evening (the few I seem to get) and play along with the jingles on the TV commercials. Song writing - I do not have whatever it is in me to do it. I am pretty good with arranging music though.

Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:24 am

Our musical question: How much time do you suppose you spend each week on your musical endeavors, and how does it break down?

It varies drastically. The big change is used to spend WAY too much time looking at gear and forums and now I spend very little time there (especially gear). I also have been playing way less recently and spending for more time on both lyric writing and related support stuff (liner notes, art, promotional materials, etc.)

-Brock

Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:24 am

Anyway, who else here enjoys breakfast any time of day? What’s your favorite breakfast fare? Regardless, what do you typically start your day with, food and beverage-wise? Who will admit to skipping breakfast or giving it the bum’s rush (some toast in the car on the way to work, ie…)?

Call me simple but some nice over easy eggs and some bacon substitute (I often use Pillers maple smoked ham strips, very tasty, good protien level, little fat) any time of time.

Our musical question: How much time do you suppose you spend each week on your musical endeavors, and how does it break down? How much time do you spend practicing alone to get better? Playing for fun? Songwriting? Practicing with a band or collaborator? Recording? Looking at gear? Maintaining your gear? Reading Guitar Player or similar magazines? Ebay? Craigslist? Spend much time on music related message boards? ;+) Think about it and let’s hear about it. This time can add up!!!

I spend about 2-3 hours daily on music. I try to make that exercises on guitar and bass for the majority, and when exercises are done play songs. Sometimes mood interferes, and bass does not always make the list every day, mostly due to it not needing as much practice, and I don't have the skill building (or skill divide present in guitar playing) from where I am and what is enjoyable. I write and record in my own time, whether through noodling or active effort. I am currently working on a whopper jazzish/classical portioned/driving rock conglomeration. I have wrote most of the bass line and structure, need to program the drums though, and that is a hurdle. They are 7/4, 6/4, 4/4 depending on the portion of the song. This one is to make up for my last endeavor which didn't live to what I wanted it to. It is also bringing my bass playing to the fore where it should be, and I am attempting to use as much of the neck as possible to craft the soundscape. Need to get the drums and bass done before I can advance with the guitar (1 layer only, this is a 3 piece)

Then tell us what you might do with all this time if you didn’t have music in your life.
Would you read more? Spend more time with family? Further your education? Get more sleep? Travel more? Spend more time on your other interests or explore new ones? Get a second job? I think this is interesting to consider….

I need an active hobby, without this I suppose my grad studies might get done a little smoother though. Seeing as I already workout/lift, read books, dawdle on forums, take care of the dog, and complete my studies, I have no clue.

Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:55 am

I usually eat pretty light during the week. Toast and fruit, Cereal or maybe a couple eggs and toast.
If we eat beakfast out my prefernce would be sausage and eggs or a big omelette. There's a place here called the Buffalo Cafe. They have chorizo omellete that is kiler.
All that being said, I trying to be a good boy so lately breakfast out has been a buckweat cake and some fruit. Trust me the omellete is way better. :(

My music practice time is split between preparing and playing for a church service and working my my jazz playing in the hopes that gigs pickup again.
I'm guessing I spend an 1/2 hour to an hour a day actual playing/practice time. As mentioned above, I spend what could be practice time goofing around
on various forums and E-bay looking at gear. I should just play but I guess I like the idea of playing well as opposed to the reality of practice.
Oh..and some talent would help too.

In the past, I have been unable to play for medical reasons. Then, and now if it was the case, it's wood carving or photography or fly fishing/fly tying to replace music.

Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:22 pm

Breakfast is usually limited to some natural shredded wheat with non-fat milk, with a sprinkling of raisins. Decent nutritionally, and it gets me through until lunch.

I usually practice for a couple of hours per day. Most of the time it's just playing a bit from my Blues You Can Use book, along with a lot of the cover songs I've been playing for a while. I usually add a song or two every couple of weeks. However, I do find that as I add one, I forget another. I just don't realize it for a while.

I also spend a couple of hours per week on scales and music fundamentals.

Unfortunately, I have not been writing anything recently. I'll have to do something about this. Perhaps if someone would be kind enough to inflict some more pain on me, I'd start up again? I do occasionally write down some lyrics, with the intention of adding some music down the line. We'll see.

Looking for/at gear takes up at least a 1/2 hour of my days. Ebay, craigslist, Marketplace, etc. are visited regularly. I spend a bit of time here, and also on the Gibson discussion page (Since my LP acquisition a few weeks back.).

If I didn't have music, I'd probably take up rock-climbing again, or windsurf more. Since I don't have family commitments generally, I do have options.

Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:21 pm

zapcosongs wrote:
Anyway, who else here enjoys breakfast any time of day? What’s your favorite breakfast fare? Regardless, what do you typically start your day with, food and beverage-wise?

I like breakfast any time of the day! My favorite breakfast food is an omelette. My daily breakfast usually consists of a bowl of grits, a banana, orange juice, and a couple cups of coffee.

zapcosongs wrote:Our musical question: How much time do you suppose you spend each week on your musical endeavors, and how does it break down? How much time do you spend practicing alone to get better? Playing for fun? Songwriting? Practicing with a band or collaborator? Recording? Looking at gear? Maintaining your gear? Reading Guitar Player or similar magazines? Ebay? Craigslist? Spend much time on music related message boards? ;+) Think about it and let’s hear about it. This time can add up!!!

Lately I've been spending very little time playing. I still manage to take a quick look at Ebay everyday.

zapcosongs wrote:Then tell us what you might do with all this time if you didn’t have music in your life.

I'm not sure what I'd do. Right now I'm very busy at work and the rest of my time is spent caring for my Mom's old horse.

Sprinter 92

Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:04 pm

Thanks for the great responses today. I've been out at an event the last few hours and don't really have the time or energy at the moment to respond to individual posts. I do want to say it's great to see Sprinter post. I want to hear more about that horse. - ed

Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:09 pm

Who else here enjoys breakfast any time of day?
Love it anytome day or night. :)

What’s your favorite breakfast fare?
Always a cup of tea, then would add bacon, eggs, stone ground grits with biscuits and gravy on the side. This is only once or twice a year, otherwise my arteries would close and the belt not close! :shocked003:

Who will admit to skipping breakfast or giving it the bum’s rush (some toast in the car on the way to work, ie…)?
More common than not it's tea or Coke Zero and a piece of fruit or breakfast bar.

Our musical question: How much time do you suppose you spend each week on your musical endeavors, and how does it break down?
Not enough lately due to travels and home activities. :thumbdown:

Still find about an hour a day to read GLDP, music rags and search ebay/clist.

More time with family and ride my road bike more often.

Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:51 pm

Hey Ed! Nice to see you on point this week.

zapcosongs wrote:

What's not to like about breakfast. I like all the usual stuff, but a nice stack of pancakes make the day all the better. If anything lately, I've been doing big breakfasts and lunches, then skipping dinner for sleep!

That varies quite a lot. Over the course of a month I put time into all of the above. If not doing all that, I'd probably be working on cars or some other kind of mechanical-type hobby.
Lately, it's the web-surfing time that's getting pushed aside for everything else, glad I was able to check in today/night....

Today's Word: Vuvuzela

BW

Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:01 am

zapcosongs wrote: I do want to say it's great to see Sprinter post. I want to hear more about that horse. - ed

Here's a picture of the old horse:

She's approximately 25 years old and is a true high mileage horse. My mom would ride several miles a day and she probably rode 325 days a year. The horse has better days and OK days. She's been ill for nearly two months but she's slowly improving. My mom liked this horse a lot and we promised her before she passed away that it would be here with my dad and I until it died.

Sprinter 92

Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:31 am

Your Mom has a fine son, Sprinter. God bless.