Lunch Report 12/28 - Old and New

Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:26 pm

Lunch today was finally something somewhat interesting - does not tend to occur in my world. I visited my mom, who is in the process of moving from NorCal to SoCal and has a lot of appliances and furniture to balance between giving away and keeping. Helped her deal with a bit of that and got a couple of my dad's old cars running with a bit of needed maintenance; we went to my dad's favorite Mexican restaurant, a place that used to be called Don Jose but is now known as Rodrigos; had some tacos, chips & salsa etc.

Food : I'll continue the food trend - What's the strangest thing you've ever eaten? My wife (accidentally) bought coffee made of cordyceps, which is a mushroom grown on caterpillars. I wasn't put off, so I suppose I have an accepting stomach. Second strangest thing I've eaten is a type of cave-aged cheese known as Mimolette. My wife and I were convinced it was the greatest cheese in the world and made the mistake of Googling what it is. Turns out it's cheese infested with 'Cheese Mites.' It's so delicious neither of us stopped eating it and buy it regularly. Had other out of the ordinary things - Jellyfish, and snails on a relative's farm on Oahu.

Still the biggest hurdle for me is Filipino food. I am half-Filipino, but Mom wanted me to grow up 'an American' so never cooked it for me. When relatives cook, I can scarcely be in the room in presence of its sight or smell. It's made of strange animals, strange parts of animals, is extraordinarily bland, and (worst of all) drenched in vinegar. My family is from the part of the country renowned for its cooking. Can't imagine how terrible it must be in other places. There's 'bagoong' which is fermented baby shrimp paste. It looks like grape jelly, but is NOT grape jelly, as I learned as a child who liked sandwiches. It smells vile. One of the only things I will eat is dinuguan - pig offal and pig's blood soup. It's the least vinegary thing on the menu so my default choice. People claim to 'like' pancit (super bland noodles) or lumpia (bland egg rolls full of ground meat) or adobo (chicken soaked in vinegar) but I think they're just relieved not to see bagoong or baloot (duck fetus in an egg) on the menu.

Curious to hear then - what are the strangest foods you've eaten, and are there any terrible foods from your culture that can out-do the Philippines?

Cordyceps, btw:

Pics of your guitars back in the day : Got any? Or just any stories about old guitars you still have? The older the better. On top of being relieved my mother and I had Mexican rather than Filipino food for lunch, we also looked through old photo albums and I saw something familiar.

I started playing guitar on my dad's '76 Takamine F430 he obtained overseas while in the Air Force - I basically absconded with it (with his permission) when I was fourteen or so, and taught myself using his old Neil Diamond and Cat Stevens songbooks. I never thought I gelled with the guitar; thick, V-shaped neck that hurts my thumb, and it always sounded too 'round' and bouncy to my ears (laminate top.) But it's the same guitar I remember my dad singing songs to me with when I was three, so since my dad died earlier this year I'm simultaneously caring for it more - and playing it more.

My Dad and mom, before I was born and around the time he got the guitar:

Early nineties (couldn't guess the era if I didn't say it I suppose) - I'm in the pic but don't want to admit which one I am for obvious reasons:

Anyway, on to G&Ls and keeping my father in focus. I realized one year ago precisely I got my first G&L, the SC3 . It was something like 80 degrees in LA that day. Unfortunately this year it's a bit chillier, maxing out around 70 where I am today. Below is one of the last texts I ever had with my dad before he died:

Visiting my mom, I got a chance to see one of the other G&Ls (other than his old F100 ) that is now technically 'mine' (though I dislike the thought of it) : Tribute ASAT Deluxe. Next to it is the newer Takamine (G240?) he got when I took off with the old one. He won, because the below Takamine is a MUCH better guitar - but I have to say, whipping out the old one above really does feel like home to me, and I don't mind the way it sounds at this point either. I guess there's no point or question to this part of the Lunch Report, other than to further condense memories of my father; this has been our first Christmas without him. Still not taking the Tribute home, I feel it should stay where he left it at least for now, and my mom probably likes having it around.

Re: Lunch Report 12/28 - Old and New

Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:10 pm

Hey Danley,

Good to see a lunch report during the hectic holiday season. Very nice of you to help with the move, I understand as I did the same with with my in-laws three months ago.

Food or different food for me would be squirrel and squirrel brain. Hunting days in my youth and a south Arkansas "delicacy". These days about the most off the path food is deer from my brother in-law. He owns a fair amount of hunting land and has regularly hunted deer for years. My son is hunting with him this week, will see what comes home. Sitting in a deer stand for hours is not in the cards for me these days.

Will have to look for pics of guitars from back in the day, don't have any handy now. An old Kay acoustic, Fender Musicmaster, Epiphone Genesis or an Aria tele copy may be found.

Thanks for sharing memories of your father, I think the Tribute is in a good place for the time being. My dad is not a musician but a big music fan, he is always taping guitar shows for me and my son. I was telling him about the movie The Wrecking Crew yesterday, he is a Glen Campell fan and knows about Jimmy Webb so he was very interested.

Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:33 pm

happy almost new year, Danley!

lunch was mystery fish at cafeteria, veggie veg soup and pineapple

wierd foods: I eat guacamole now, which is impressive since i've seen the Exorcist :twisted:
sometimes I eat sushi. i've forced down a few raw oysters. ate a few unknowns when i pledged a fraternity!

old guitars:
i taught myself 1st position cords on an old 3/4 size Kay acoustic from the '60's at 14. no pics that i know of.
my 1st electric was a '60's Hagstrom Kent I bought off a guy whose family bought our home in Warrington, Pa. in 1974. Was red (see pic), came with a small ss Kay amp, 8 in speaker, 3 inputs, played it to death for a year including 3 gigs, and sold it for what i paid for it.
Next was a walnut '73 or '74 Telecaster Custom (pic), amazing instrument, played it to death for a year, many more gigs, traded it in on my '76 LP Standard in Feb '77 (pic), 2 months used, which I got for $350 (before i put in the DiMarzio), and still have. just keeps getting better and better every year. afraid to take it to gigs now.
The last pic is of my 1st mim strat, a satin wine red thing, from a bar party gig in '05. got me interested in some of the tonal possibilties of a strat.
Some of these pics I've shared here before, but photobucket is dead so here's round 2.

Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:11 am

A couple days...

Weird foods: my son is into different cheeses of the world, so that can get sketchy.

Old guitars. Like most of you, I can make a big list. So, here a few pics from the last 20:

[original]

[after mothership]

[first endorsement]

[w/ one of my slit drums]

Cheers,
Will

Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:46 am

sam wrote:Food or different food for me would be squirrel and squirrel brain. Hunting days in my youth and a south Arkansas "delicacy". These days about the most off the path food is deer from my brother in-law. He owns a fair amount of hunting land and has regularly hunted deer for years. My son is hunting with him this week, will see what comes home. Sitting in a deer stand for hours is not in the cards for me these days.

I feel pretty beat by squirrel brain - I've had venison a few times, my wife's father lives in a part of New York where deer hunting happens and the first time I visited I was quite alarmed (as a California/City Boy) to see a deer carcass on the front porch, naturally frozen in the zero degree weather. Very good meat though.

Will have to look for pics of guitars from back in the day, don't have any handy now. An old Kay acoustic, Fender Musicmaster, Epiphone Genesis or an Aria tele copy may be found.

Would love to have seen the Musicmaster, I'm a pretty big Mustang/Duo Sonic/Musicmaster fan myself and have a '66 - do you recall the year of yours? Early models were exclusive 22.5" scale, but some later 'Musicmaster II' models had the 24" neck.

Thanks for sharing memories of your father, I think the Tribute is in a good place for the time being. My dad is not a musician but a big music fan, he is always taping guitar shows for me and my son. I was telling him about the movie The Wrecking Crew yesterday, he is a Glen Campell fan and knows about Jimmy Webb so he was very interested.

I'm a big Glen Campbell fan; my dad was into a lot of country music from that era. Love this clip of him with a Bass VI :

phpBB [video]

drjho7 wrote:sometimes I eat sushi. i've forced down a few raw oysters. ate a few unknowns when i pledged a fraternity!

I can't remember quite when sushi became 'usual' for me - love oysters too, cooked or raw.

drjho7 wrote:Next was a walnut '73 or '74 Telecaster Custom (pic), amazing instrument, played it to death for a year, many more gigs

THAT is an awesome instrument - I would love one myself. Hagstrom is pretty cool too :)

willross wrote:Weird foods: my son is into different cheeses of the world, so that can get sketchy.

From my dad's side of the family there was an affinity for limburger - I can't get anywhere near it, but my wife feels the same way about bleu cheese which I love. Also enjoy the ovations - my uncle has one and I always appreciated the greater comfort/playability vs. typical dreadnoughts as I'm not usually an acoustic player. Had a friend who had a great Ovation 12 (stolen and thankfully recovered.) They used to be my pinnacle acoustics to desire, but lately I gravitate toward Taylors/Breedloves. My dad liked the Takamines because the Eagles played them.