Lunch Report for Wednesday June 23, 2010

Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:19 am

Well, we’ve made it to Wednesday. Thanks for hanging in with me here and participating.

It’s going to be another hot day today here in the DC area, so I think we’ll keep lunch on the light side. How about some chilled, grilled salmon on a bed of field greens. Maybe some good German-style potato salad on the side.

I don’t usually drink until the kids are asleep at night, but I really feel like enjoying an icy cold Stella Artois this afternoon. I really have come to love this beer. Today’s first question: What beer are you enjoying these days? Is it one you’ve long enjoyed, or a more recently-discovered indulgence? Do your tastes change with the seasons?

Secondly, what are YOU having for lunch today – or what do you feel like having if you could? Just because I’m Lunch Reporter doesn’t mean we’re not interested in your lunch as well!

Musical Question: I play some guitar (though not well) and although I own a couple of old G&L basses, I’m not a bass player. I find that I approach the bass too much like I approach the guitar, which is holding me back as an aspiring low-ender. I have a buddy who plays bass and wants to play guitar, but he’s having the same problem I’m having, but in reverse!

I’m looking for advice – mostly from those here who play both – for those of us who play one of these stringed instruments and want to learn the other. What’s the best way for a bassist to approach a six-stringer? How ought a guitarist approach the bass? What habits, attitudes, etc. need to change – or what needs to be un-learned - in order make a successful transition from one to the other?

Finally, I’m looking forward to doing some reading this summer. I used to always have a book going, but since I became a Dad more than eight years ago, my reading has mostly been limited to the daily newspaper. Let’s recommend some good books today. I’m not picky about subject matter or style, fiction or non-fiction. I’m just seeking something to get me thinking, entertained and turning pages.

Thanks, and have a great one! - ed

Re: Lunch Report for Wednesday June 23, 2010

Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:57 am

I don’t usually drink until the kids are asleep at night, but I really feel like enjoying an icy cold Stella Artois this afternoon. I really have come to love this beer. Today’s first question: What beer are you enjoying these days? Is it one you’ve long enjoyed, or a more recently-discovered indulgence? Do your tastes change with the seasons?

Secondly, what are YOU having for lunch today – or what do you feel like having if you could? Just because I’m Lunch Reporter doesn’t mean we’re not interested in your lunch as well!

A beer with lunch sounds like a delicious endeavor, would make my day I think. I am however out, I emptied the last Guinness Sunday evening. I do enjoy a Stella though, very nice but a bit lighter than my tastes usually go, more a drinker of darks. My all time favourite is something called Samual Smiths Nut Brown Ale. Very nice beer. A close second is "Cameron's Dark", something from a micro brewer in the area, same vein of beer as the nut brown. For me the taste does not change with the season, but with moods, hence I generally stock some pale ale, some reds, and some darks/stouts. Rarely do I drink lagers however, albeit Creemore Springs makes it into my fridge a lot (another Ontario beer).

For lunch today I wish I had a beer and it is all your fault :lol:

Musical Question: I play some guitar (though not well) and although I own a couple of old G&L basses, I’m not a bass player. I find that I approach the bass too much like I approach the guitar, which is holding me back as an aspiring low-ender. I have a buddy who plays bass and wants to play guitar, but he’s having the same problem I’m having, but in reverse!

I’m looking for advice – mostly from those here who play both – for those of us who play one of these stringed instruments and want to learn the other. What’s the best way for a bassist to approach a six-stringer? How ought a guitarist approach the bass? What habits, attitudes, etc. need to change – or what needs to be un-learned - in order make a successful transition from one to the other?

I started playing bass at 14, shortly before I started playing saxophone. I started playing guitar at 16, initially just a bit to learn enough to easily see what a guitarist was doing. As I started to grow into a composing mentality, I played more and more guitar, it is more fun to practice alone, typically, and have often felt at points to have 'milked' what there was to learn on bass. That of course has been dropped on it's head a few times, I am an excellent finger style player but my slap could use work, been a long time since I bothered with slap. That said I will try to give advice on how I keep them separate. I am a natural on the bass guitar, everything flows, moves and comes easily. The same cannot be said about my guitar playing, everything is paid in blood there, speed, accuracy...

I am a musical omnivore, I listen to everything except rap, and anything that was pop after 1990 (keep in mind I am only 23, so it is not as if I have been playing forever). The interesting factor is this, I listen to a lot of old rock, prog rock, and metal music, it is probably the bulk of my style. When I started playing guitar, I was already tearing through RUSH on a bass. When I am playing a guitar I tend to gravitate to different styles of music, I find some thinks more fun on guitar (like metal) than I do on bass (in which metal is usually fairly drab compared to prog).

The big hurdle for guitarists going to bassists is they look at chords heavily, this is a C chord, I will play C. You do not necessarily need to think in root notes, and although a good place to start, you really need to jump off it and add some run to the game. Look at old basslines from the 50's, and the 60's , it started to disappear a bit more in the 70s, and moreso in the 80's. You will see the walking basslines more in the older stuff opposed to music that is more modern. Try to run from one chord to the other smoothly, instead of switching abruptly, think like a bluegrass guitarist. I think that one comes from bluegrass traditionally not having a 'proper' bass. The rest I can't really explain what I do. Sometimes I think in full chords, but chords can be nasty on a bass, very particular so I have favourite triads. Sometimes I think in scales, but like to approach the chord change from the opposite side (descending opposed to ascending). During the chord I like to have something more than the root note going, but this has to ensure you don't get too 'busy', even if it is just another note or 2 after the first it will add a lot of flavour.

I guess to simplify, don't think all the fills have to come from your guitar, don't think one side has to do everything. Find the holes in the sound, the empty spots and seei f adding something improves them. A lot of guitarists typically want to have everything come from them, so want poor simple bass players, although I have played with a few that let me run free :D.

Finally, I’m looking forward to doing some reading this summer. I used to always have a book going, but since I became a Dad more than eight years ago, my reading has mostly been limited to the daily newspaper. Let’s recommend some good books today. I’m not picky about subject matter or style, fiction or non-fiction. I’m just seeking something to get me thinking, entertained and turning pages.

My favourite author is probably Ayn Rand, so naturally I would recommend Atlas Shrugged, or differently We the Living. I also read a lot of 'low' or 'dark' fantasy, dispenses with archetypes and prophecies etc, and focusses on the common character, often has a dismal/ironic tone to it. Refreshing stuff for a guy who is done with the chosen one crap. My favourite dark fantasy Authors are Glen Cook (best known for 'The Black Company') and Steven Erikson (Malazan book of the fallen). Finally my favourite series written was The Dark Tower (Steven King), I am not a King fan, and it disappointed me that most of the stuff he releases is crap, when he has the ability to craft something that excellent. It is kind of a cross of sci-fi, fantasy, and steam punk, following the gunslinger and his story. It is easily the best series publication I have ever read, which pitting against some of the others (notably Erikson) says a lot.

For non-fiction Freakonomics and Super Freaknomics have recently crossed my way and were interesting and hilarious. No background in economics is required.

Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:14 am

Excellent post sirmyghin. Thanks so much for the reply and great advice!

I like Nut Brown Ale a lot too. My tastes have gotten lighter with age and with the heat of the season.

I'm going to take your words of wisdom on the bass and guitar thing to heart. Man, if you got Geddy Lee's bass stuff down, you must be some stoopid good player!

You might not believe it, but Ayn Rand is one of my favorites as well! Small world, eh? While I don't think I need to re-read something so big as Atlas Shrugged right now, I may well revisit The Fountainhead, which is the first Rand book I encountered back when I was in high school. I also used to enjoy Robert Ludlum (quite a change of pace, eh?) and have read all his books. I think his Road to Gandolfo is the funniest thing I ever read, but is not typical of his mostly spy/action novels. http://www.amazon.com/Road-Gandolfo-Robert-Ludlum/dp/0553271091

Thanks again for such a great and thoughtful post! - ed

Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:24 am

Hey Zap - its me - I'm back after finally taking the initiative to ask how to log on after the big change.

Lunch today - Linda and I are going to splurge and head over to our favorite little pizza joint - Via's. Only problem is is happens to be right next door to my favorite little local music shop which conincidentally is an authorized G&L dealer. Probably going to have to stop in just to say hello. But some of the worst mistakes I have made (financially speaking) were just dropping by some music store to say howdy.

I rarely drink beer I have taken a liking to of all things the wheat beer served up at a local micro-brewery.

Don't know what to do with four strings or how to relate to them critters so you are on your own with this one.

Talk to you later Hoss.

Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:24 am

zapcosongs wrote:
I'm going to take your words of wisdom on the bass and guitar thing to heart. Man, if you got Geddy Lee's bass stuff down, you must be some stoopid good player!
Haha, thanks but really, seeing a lot of the kids out there today it is nothing really. Then we have the beasts like Dave LaRue, Victor Wooten, Stanley Clark, Marcus Miller, Mark King, John Myung (dream theatre), Stu Hamm. That is the kind of stuff I have to practice and get mostly destroyed by nowadays. Dream Theatre is the closest to the styles I like, but use a 6 string and without the High C sometimes I am stranded (although sometimes I rewrite stuff, as they have some extremely excellent riffs and nasty fills). Another piece of advice is flow is always more important than speed, but seeing as you aren't a teen you probably don't need to be told that.

You might not believe it, but Ayn Rand is one of my favorites as well! Small world, eh? While I don't think I need to re-read something so big as Atlas Shrugged right now, I may well revisit The Fountainhead, which is the first Rand book I encountered back when I was in high school. I also used to enjoy Robert Ludlum (quite a change of pace, eh?) and have read all his books. I think his Road to Gandolfo is the funniest thing I ever read, but is not typical of his mostly spy/action novels. http://www.amazon.com/Road-Gandolfo-Robert-Ludlum/dp/0553271091

Thanks again for such a great and thoughtful post! - ed

That is a little odd, I too read fountainhead in high school, which prompted me to read some of her other work (her actual philosophy is a tad dry). I will check out that one book by Ludlum (always looking for something new, a bit of a book collector) , typically I am not into the spy/action novel though, and prefer adventure, something like Dune was also and excellent read, Frank Herbert was a big thinker as far as writing goes.

Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:46 am

Hey ZW. Thanks so much for dropping in. I note with some surprise that this is your first post on the "new" board. I really AM honored!!!

I showed the pics you sent me yesterday to Noah, and now it seems he misses Emma very much. We gotta get those kids together again somehow.

Hey, that guitar shop next to the pizza joint. Is that the same place where you traded in your Broadcaster? Man, that was a nice guitar!

But I liked the '86 ASAT better. Yep, I'm still enjoying the hell out of her!

Miss ya bro! - ed

Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:09 am

zapcosongs wrote:Today’s first question: What beer are you enjoying these days? Is it one you’ve long enjoyed, or a more recently-discovered indulgence? Do your tastes change with the seasons?

I do like a Stella but haven't had one in quite a while. With the hot weather here I've recently started drinking Amstel Light. Tastes pretty good for a light beer and it goes down easy on these hot summer days. My "go to" beer is usually Sam Adams Lager but I switch it up a bit. Also like Sierra Nevada, Bass, Long Trail, etc. So many beers, so little time.

zapcosongs wrote:Secondly, what are YOU having for lunch today – or what do you feel like having if you could?

Oddly enough, I'm also having grilled salmon on a bed of greens. No beer though. Washing it down with water.

zapcosongs wrote:Musical Question: How ought a guitarist approach the bass? What habits, attitudes, etc. need to change – or what needs to be un-learned - in order make a successful transition from one to the other?

I'm curious to read any advise you get on this topic as I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. Excellent reply from sirmyghin.

zapcosongs wrote:Let’s recommend some good books today. I’m not picky about subject matter or style, fiction or non-fiction. I’m just seeking something to get me thinking, entertained and turning pages.

Got a couple I'm working through now. So here's one to get you thinking and one to entertain. Vonnegut's Galapagos which I started last year but never finished, and Francis Collins' The Language of Life: DNA and the Revolution in Personalized Medicine.

Jeff

Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:12 pm

zapcosongs wrote:Well, we’ve made it to Wednesday. Thanks for hanging in with me here and participating.

It’s going to be another hot day today here in the DC area, so I think we’ll keep lunch on the light side. How about some chilled, grilled salmon on a bed of field greens. Maybe some good German-style potato salad on the side.

Thanks, and have a great one! - ed

Wow! It kinda looks like old times here today! Zap, I didn't even know you were doing the LR duties until just now. That's great to see! And Zombywoof, too....how cool to see him here!

Lunch? Well, after a hearty breakfast, I decided to skip lunch today.

About beer, I'm definitely one who likes my beer, but I try - note that I said try...LOL - to keep it in moderation. About three or four years ago a little micro-brewery called Central Waters opened right here in my home town, and they brew some incredible beers. Of their selection, Happy Heron has become my favorite. Here's a link to the brewery:

http://www.centralwaters.com/

About bass, I started playing it shortly after high school but, like yoursefl, I very much approached it like I would a guitar. Once I started recording with it, though, I quickly realized I had a lot to learn. I eventually started playing the bass along with various records from many different artists, but I particularly began to listen much more carefully to how the drums and bass were interacting with one another. I eventually found it to be a natural thing to think in terms of what the bass should be doing as opposed to trying to force something into it that shouldn't be there. In essence, it should simply create the groove and pocket. I guess I'd just recommend playing along with some bass players that you like on recordings.

About reading, I haven't even had much time to get on the forums, let alone trying to take in a book or two. Although, I do read much more during the winter months. I find it quite stimulating to dive into a good book when the temps fall below freezing while the snow is coming down, all while sitting back in an easy chair with a burning fire nearby.

BTW.....I like that Dave's Guitar t-shirt. That's my all-time favorite music store, and it's only a 2-hour drive away from me.

It's great to see ya here, Ed! Keep up the good work!

Jim

Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:40 pm

Hey Zap.

Yup, that is the store that ended up with my Broadcaster. Funny thing is I don't even recall what I traded it for. Glad you still got the '86 ASAT. That remains my favorite ASAT of all time.

Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:20 pm

What beer are you enjoying these days? Cold ones! Actually a fan of Miller varieties and Fosters. Tastes don't change too much, but will grab Warsteiner and Steinlager when indulging. Did have a beer with Frank Zappa's picture on it last year, don't recall much about it except it was good and expensive. It's all packaging packaging I guess. :rolleyes:

Secondly, what are YOU having for lunch today – or what do you feel like having if you could?
grabbed a quick bowl of soup at a deli today.

What’s the best way for a bassist to approach a six-stringer? How ought a guitarist approach the bass? What habits, attitudes, etc. need to change – or what needs to be un-learned - in order make a successful transition from one to the other?
Still trying to figure out the six string thing.

Let’s recommend some good books today.
I try to regularly read outside my usual guitar and bicycle rags, so here are a few of my latest finds and old faves. The Last Lecture - Randy Pausch (Insightful book on a man's outlook on life after cancer diagnosis) , Full Moon: The Amazing Rock and Roll Life of the Late Keith Moon - Dougal Butler (Very funny and interesting look at Moonie), The Real Frank Zappa Book - Zappa (informative on personal and music levels, cool book for non-Zappa fans and very cool for Zappa fans -see theme here?), The Mosquito Coast - Paul Theroux (better than the Harrison Ford movie) and for business reasons just finishing tonight Crossing the Chasm - Geoffrey Moore (business school model for marketing and venture sales in high tech markets)

Thanks Zapco 8-)

Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:29 pm

Okay. Got some fine folks off the sidelines today. Cool!

repoman: I like Vonnegut but have not read Galapagos. I appreciate the fine recommendation. On my list now!

ZW: Did you like the Broadcaster or our '86 ASAT better, and why?

Jim: Our misfortune in not having you around more must mean that your architectural biz is rebounding some. Good for you!
Like you, I actually skip lunch with some frequency.
Happy Heron? Never heard of it but I'm sure I've never heard of most of the best beers of the world. I'd love to share some with you someday. Let's make it so!

Sam: It's funny you mention Steinlager. Is that the flavorful, lightish-bodied slightly floral nectar from New Zealand? Man, I used to enjoy those, but for some reason I can't for the life of me find it locally anymore. Though it tastes different, it still reminds me some of Molson back in the day when it was good in middle and late 70's. Ah, those were the days! BTW, I dig Zappa too - although I appreciate some albums more than others (and there are many, eh?). I really like Joe's Garage and Sheik Yerbouti......

And it's funny that you mention the Last Lecture. I've wanted to read that one for as long as it's been out. Another score for my "to read" list! Have you read Tuesdays with Morrie? Another great book sort of along those (im)mortal lines. I'd also recommend Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt if you haven't read it yet. Thanks so much for participating! - ed

Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:45 am

For whatever reason, liked the ASAT better.