What's for Lunch?

Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:00 pm

Palmtree here with the lunch topics of the day:

Why did you begin playing guitar? Has it been worth the practice, sweat and callouses? What did you have for lunch today? What music are you listening to RIGHT NOW.

I first picked up a guitar to impress girls in college and before I knew it, heck I was playing guitar! Cheap acoustic at first and then I graduated to a Gibson Heritage in '78 which I just ebayed a few months ago. Wasn't playing it anymore and wanted an Epi Sheraton II to go with my Gibson Les Paul for 2 of the basic tones of the genre. And now I await delivery of my G&L Fullerton Deluxe S500 day after tomorrow for a single coil tone in my hardware repertoire.

YES it's decidedly been worth it. I was in a band for a bit a few years ago and while I greatly enjoyed it, what I most enjoy is the tone falling off those strings when it's just right. I'm not a great player, but I am an enthusiastic one. I've paused sometimes in my playing for other pursuits (raising kids, work, divorces, marriages that "life" kind of thing.), but the learning journey seems to be the whole point. I'll never be as good as I could be if I just practice one more time, take one more lesson, lay back into that lick one more time...

I'm a pretty boring eater and had my usual Subway ham & swiss toasted with lettuce, cucumber and pickles. Do I need to mention the 3 chocolate chip cookies or can I slide on that one? Oh and iced tea.

Shannon McNally - Black Irish - You Made Me Feel for You - great stuff. Don't know why she's not better known.

Your turn,

Palmtree

:banana:

Re: What's for Lunch?

Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:24 am

I missed this yesterday, but I'll join in as a time traveler and make like I was posting yesterday ;)

Why did you begin playing guitar?
When I was in high school (back in 84') another student, Nick Okenko, was in a band doing stuff like Rush and Led Zeppelin covers. He'd heard me singing some Zeppelin and thought I might be front man material for the band he was in (they didn't have a dedicated singer at the time). So he invited me to his place to hang out and talk about that. When we got there I noticed his minty (early) 70's Gibson Les Paul Standard, with an awesome burst so he plugged it into his Marshall stack and let me play it a little. I didn't know how to play guitar, but I loved the growl, and had always wanted to play guitar. He told me that I could pick up a second hand one for around $600 at the time, if I checked the Saturday paper - so I began to save up for a Les Paul. Several months later I purchased my first - a 70s Les Paul Deluxe blonde top and started playing. I didn't end up joining his band, I wasn't comfortable singing (at the time), and didn't have any equipment. We gave it a shot - to be sure - but they didn't have any monitors, and only had a cheap microphone - so that I was singing through the second channel on one of their amps, and let's just say, trying to sing Rush, Zep, and some Blind Faith when you can't hear yourself over a really muddy spectrum (and not knowing any better) really destroys your confidence. I left feeling like I had let them all down, and was too embarrassed to pursue that any further. But I was hooked on guitars from that time forward - mostly because I just loved the idea of playing guitar.

Has it been worth the practice, sweat and callouses?
Definitely. I've been playing now for over 30 years, but being entirely self-taught, but I wouldn't recommend that to anyone. I'd be a much better guitar player today if I could have afforded lessons 30 years ago. Nevertheless, I play daily, and have played daily for years. I was in a band when I met my wife, but we weren't making any money. When the other guitarist (the better one by far) and drummer joined another band, that ended my "band years" for a long time. I joined a Christian band when I returned to my faith (I'm a pastor now), but we only played at church, and didn't really do any original material. When I changed churches, I left that band. Now that I'm pastor I play regularly at church on Sunday - which is surprisingly a great gig - we have some very talented musicians in our congregation. Fred Penner's guitarist, Paul O'Neil is a member of our congregation, and though playing for Fred's band may not sound like living the dream - he's been touring for decades, and runs his own studio. Great, great musician, and all round awesome guy. Playing guitar has opened a great many friendships with a great many people. It's still one of my greatest joys, and one of the best things I've ever done.

What did you have for lunch today?
I had a beef and cheese burrito with extra, extra hot sauce. It was okay.

What music are you listening to RIGHT NOW.
The last song I was listening to yesterday was an Andrew Lloyd Webber tune from Jesus Christ Superstar - there are a great many jazzy chords in the soundtrack, and that's been my groove off and on, so I was working through some of the songs acoustically. You're never alone when you have a guitar. It probably doesn't count, but I didn't listen to any other music yesterday than the music I was playing, so that's what I got.

Nice to see a lunch report. Thanks Palmtree.

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:59 am

Palmtree, Thanks for jumping right in with a Lunch Report! Even though I'm a little late...

At work yesterday they had a "Lunch and Learn." They brought in Trelleborg to talk about seals. They catered in Chipotle, to honest I'm not a big fan. Their burritos are about 70% rice, 20% beans, 5% tortilla, and 5% everything else... I enjoy Mexican food, but prefer to patronize family owned establishments that are actually owned by Hispanics. I know lots of people like Chipotle, and that is ok - it's just not for me.

I've wanted to play guitars about as far back as I can remember (I can remember back to about 3 years old, and my first recollection of wanted to play guitar was four). I bought a guitar my senior year in high school, but never learned. It is one of those things you have to put time into and have some idea of what you are doing... Eventually it went into the corner and collected dust. Many years later, my daughter decided to pick up guitar at the age of 7 (by that time I had gotten rid of my guitar). She started taking lessons and enjoyed it. So at age 40, I got a new start and my daughter was showing me what she was learning so now I actually started having a clue. Eventually I started taking lessens myself. She now has 5 guitars (2 electrics and 3 acoustics) and I have 7 electrics, 1 acoustic, and one bass. The most recent acquisition is for my first Mod project (making a Fralin P-92 inspired esquire type guitar). I longer take lessons as my instructor felt he took me as far as he could, but I would mind continuing. I've played with a couple church bands and that has been really good for me. It has challenged me to jump out of my comfort zone. I'm doing way more lead work then I ever would have imagined. IT has been very fun and rewarding. It has certainly been worth the effort and work. I would say I play a guitar just about everyday. Someday it may be just a few minutes, others it can be hours. When I'm not preparing for a service, a lot of the time I'm "doodling" in search of interesting progressions and licks and ways to put them together.

I'm not listening to anything at the moment, but have been listening to a lot of Public Image Ltd lately. Sam, I hope to catch them sometime (I was jealous when you posted pictures from one of their shows recently). Last live show I went to about a month ago was Abby Jeanne Cosmic Weekend. I went the first day. There was an eclectic mix of bands. Was very impressed by the Lucille Furs, the Shivas, and Bully.

Thanks again and Cheers,
Dan

Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:25 am

Lunch yesterday was a bag of nuts and an energy drink. As usual I don't like eating at work.

I started playing guitar when I was ~14/15 - with the direct goal of being awesome, and the indirect goal of being awesome *to girls.* Really I always thought rock music was amazing from an early age, but wasn't very exposed to it- my parents were more into country/folk. I'd get small tastes of alternative/metal music from TV/movies, and that was enough to tell me it was the coolest thing you could possibly do. And was it worth it? For a while I played in a band and I at least felt awesome, until those girls who I wound up attracting ended up distracting me (for better or worse.) For near a decade I did not pick up a guitar. A few years ago I got back into it when I realized I'm a much happier person when I'm playing music; I miss my days in college when I would have a guitar in my hands constantly. Trying to re-learn to play the 'right' way now and taking lessons, which is definitely worth it.

Listening to a lot of Pavement, Sonic Youth and Smashing Pumpkins at the moment; sort of my safe zone, not really looking for new music.

Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:18 pm

Palmtree thanks for providing lunch today :thumbup:

I started about 13 or so after influence from my older cousin and love of music.

Sweat calluses and time? Definitely! Tons o fun, met many girls and has kept my sanity over the years. You can tell a lot about someone through their music interests and instruments.

Listening to Gram Parsons last two days. Man could we use another one like him right now.

What did I have for lunch? Cup of tea and a banana, dinner will make up for it ;)

Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:30 pm

Looks like I've missed several Lunch Reports lately! Better jump in here!

I didn't have a specific reason to start guitar. I guess like others here it was out of a love for music, and wanting to be involved in making it. It wasn't to meet girls, if it had been it would have been a total waste of time. I can say that despite having played a heap of gigs in a wide variety of venues that not once in 23 years of playing has it led to a romantic encounter. Not once! Regardless its always been fun and that's why I still do it. For me its more than a hobby as its something I almost need to do. And yeah, the friends thing too. Some of my best friends have been from playing music.

I've been listening to a group called Bronco, out of Mexico. Not to everyone's tastes but I love it, great party music.

Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:04 am

howdy palmtree, thanks for venturing into the lunch zone...

lunch was some pseudo-lasagna, meatballs and pretty good water

why guitar? i started on classical piano lessons at age 6, for 5 years. then trombone at age 10, eventually baritone, both on up through college.
could read pretty well in both clefs. we always had a drum kit at home so learned them too, initially to the Guess Who's "Clap for the the Wolfman" record. I loved the Beatles, once my mom started bringing their records home, I couldn't stop listening, and fooled around with her old '60's Kay guitar, pretending at first. got serious at 14, got a Mel Bay cord book, learned those, got my 1st electric (Hagstrom) at 14, then moved on to bigger and better things. Had 2 brothers, 1 was a drummer and 1 became a bass player, both very talented musicians. Needless to say we had a band from the start, was playing gigs at 15, and never looked back, still doing it now and don't see any reason to stop, way too much fun.

worth it? you bet! so many great times and experiences and memories.

music right now: Richard Thompson, 13 Rivers album, recent, cut: "the Bones of Gilead". he's so great, even now!

Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:51 am

Breakfast 4 lunch today: steel-cut oats & coffee...

Why did you begin playing guitar?

I saw my brother and his friends playing an acoustic guitar.
I picked it up (upside-down) and took a few strums.
They laughed and said I was doing it correctly...
Now I'm right-handed and play left-handed.

I'm listening to Steely Dan; tightening-up an acoustic version of "Any Major Dude Will Tell You"

Cheers,
Will

Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:08 pm

Thank you all for joining me at lunch! I enjoyed hearing your stories. Especially hearing everyone’s relationship with music. And it is a relationship. Nothing else quite like it. In the mean time I’ve taken delivery of my Fullerton Deluxe S500 and honestly have never played such a well crafted instrument. It’s a pleasure to play a guitar that was crafted with such obvious pleasure & pride.

Everybody have a great weekend!

Palmtree