10/18 - Midnight Snack and We're Back!

Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:20 pm

Glad the place is back :) Might as well kick it off with a near-midnight snack report, I'm about to have a beer if that counts.

Music Instruction
I just enrolled myself in lessons for the first time; I actually asked on another forum (while this one was down) where I might find a good Skype instructor; someone on the east coast by coincidence recommended someone a five minute drive from me :mrgreen: Had my first lesson today and plan on attending face-to-face. The thing is I've always been an... Ok player. I had some music theory classes in college and for a while took formal bass lessons, but never guitar. When I was at my best maybe ten years ago, playing in a band, I actually had terrible technique but I could make myself sound about the way I wanted regardless. I could always manage somehow, improvising or learning songs, despite playing just about everything 'wrong.' I took a long break from guitar after that, and when I committed to coming back to it I decided to make a concerted effort to do it 'right' - But I sort of reached a wall and recognized I need an instructor to go any further. Promising results from the first lesson; I got some useful pointers along the lines of hand positioning that I'm already feeling a benefit from practicing, and got introduced to a new way of viewing the fretboard & scales. So the question is: Have you ever sought out lessons or musical education? Did you find any benefit from it?

G&L Topic
I re-assembled my dad's F100 during the only lightning storm I've experienced in SoCal in the last ten years. I didn't even realize it was going to rain that night, because it was sunny & warm during the day, and rain just doesn't happen in the summer (or really any time in most of CA, but winter is the typical rainy season.) As soon as I bolted the neck back on, I nearly dropped the guitar; a lightning bolt hit *very* near the house. It killed the streaming box on our TV, the Wii U, our dishwasher and our internet router, and sounded like a bomb going off. I think my dad was trying to tell me something; like 'Quit messing with my guitar.' :happy0007:

Anyway- Speaking of bolting necks back on I'm wondering if anyone actually uses microtilt. I have it backed out (well, tightened somewhat to eliminate possible rattles) on all my guitars that have it; the F100 , my SC3 , and an American Strat. There's just no need for it to get the action correct to my preference. G&L says their new precision neck carving eliminates the need for it- But do you miss microtilt? I read a lot of people here like to set their guitars up per the factory instructions; do you prefer to use the microtilt to do that, or set it flat and proceed to adjust from there? I can see a need for adjusting neck angle on guitars like Jaguars & Jazzmasters where the break angle above the bridge is affected, but not so much for a DFV or Saddle Lock.

Music Selection
I've noticed some of my favorite songs from 'hard' artists are 'slow' songs & albums- I always liked Red Hot Chili Peppers but 'By the Way' actually is one of my favorite albums, despite not sounding like any of their other work. I love Alice in Chains, but am unusual in enjoying Sap or Jar of Flies as their best albums. And Stone Temple Pilots - What a versatile band. What softer songs do you like by harder artists? Do you enjoy it when musician's show off an unexpected slower side, or do you feel it's cheesy or forced?

phpBB [video]

Re: 10/18 - Midnight Snack and We're Back!

Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:37 pm

Trying to keep away from the mid week beers, you are not helping :-| .

The last time I had a lesson was approx 20 years ago. I wanted to learn the live version of " The Immigrant Song ", mostly the solo. We went over it and he showed me what pentatonic scale to use so I could figure it out myself. I recorded parts of those lessons , I think I still have the tape around somewhere. I learned some theory basics a few years ago , and a bunch of blues stuff through Justinguitar. My big " aha " moment came just over 2 years ago when I sent away for "Planetalk". That mindset didn't just turn a light bulb on, it set off a super Nova ! By far the best and last guitar instruction book I will ever buy. Such a simple thing that I wished I had discovered years ago. So yes, massive benefit from that ( comic ) book.

When I bought my Asat , the action was high and it had a shim. I decided to set it up myself, removed the shim and used the micro tilt instead, which works great and makes me wonder why it was shimmed before. It really got dialed in when I took it to a pro for a proper set up. He did a fantastic job, nice and low.

I have been an STP fan for years, lots of great songs. "Sourgirl " was a slower song of theirs that i liked a lot. Don't mind slower songs if the bands got the chops. I do dislike ballads for the sake of them though which I feel later Aerosmith is guilty of.

In early summer of 1989 I watched a thunder storm pass right through my city from the 16th floor of my apartment building . Witnessed lighting strike a transformer on a utility pole right across the street . Pretty much blew the thing up , massive shower of sparks and the loudest thunder I have ever experienced. Everything north of the street lost power. I could see the power grids winking out as more lighting stuck other power lines and other transformers as it moved north . It seemed to last a really long time , lots of fork lightning. Frightening and exhilarating and rare for these parts, I will never forget it. My Dad claimed they were much worse in Winnipeg and went to bed.

Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:08 am

howdy! sam adams octoberfest and some triscuits this morning, long work day

music ed: took 5 years of classical piano starting 1st grade, and trombone/baritone starting 4th grade and continued thru college. never had formal education on gtr, but had a couple guys show me a few things, and otherwise self taught. i watch an occasional online Robben Ford lesson

microtilt: i use it on the 80's G&L's to fine tune the setup. works well. I have used the business card shim on a trib ASAT special, and an ASAT Classic bluseboy with good results, just adjusted the bridge saddle heights after that, accordingly

I too like STP. I saw them on the purple and "4" tours. I like Creep, Atlanta, Sour Girl, and Pretty Penny on their softer side. Bobby and Dean are from Point Pleasant Beach, NJ. One town up from my aunt's home. My cousin Andy is a drummer and Bobby used to hang at his house in Bay Head in the early 80's and Jam. I was there sometimes, but can't remember if I actually jammed with DeLeo's.

Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:06 am

We had some friends stop by to watch our kids perform the halftime show at the local HS football game. After the performance we headed over to Tighthead Brewing Company for a few beers.

Musical Instruction

I took lessons for about five years. When I first started playing I was learning from my daughter. Eventually I caught up to her and needed help to progress further so I started taking lessons from her instructor. It was well worth it in my opinion. Beside teaching me the typical exercises to learn the fingerboard and general dexterity, he did teach theory, song writing, improvisation, and ear training. I actually miss the lessons. The other thing that has helped me is playing a band context. That has forced me to learn / play parts out of my normal comfort zone. Also forced me to think about how my part fits the whole.

Microtilt

My only guitar with the microtilt is my SC-3. I bought it used and the setup was good so I have never had to touch it.

Music Selection

One my favorite Replacement songs is probably one of their slowest - Skyway.

phpBB [video]

Probably my all time favorite Drivin' n 'Cryin is Straight to Hell. Song starts about 50 secs into the video.

phpBB [video]

Cheers, Dan

Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:09 am

Dinner? Some kind of fancy sloppy joe's. The pretzel bread bun added a nice touch...

Music Instruction
Took some lessons on-and-off when I was young. Then just rolled with it. If I had stuck with it, I'd have been here sooner.

G&L Topic
Have a couple micro-tilts, G&L & "other". As for adjustment, I defer to my tech.

Music Selection
STP. What can I say. I partied with Scott Weiland in the early 1990's (when he would go half black/half white; face & body suit). I miss him.

Cheers,
Will

Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:33 am

willross wrote:STP. What can I say. I partied with Scott Weiland in the early 1990's (when he would go half black/half white; face & body suit). I miss him.

Cheers,
Will

Hey Will. Did you know STP's audio engineer Scott Tatter when you hung with the band. He was their live A1 for many years. I went to school with him in Florida and have lost touch and wondered if you knew what he might be up to these days.

Thanks,

Tom

Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:56 pm

Wow- Cool to see so many STP connections, I saw them last month in Del Mar, and they still put on a great show (great setlist too.) Wish I ever saw them with Scott (or even Chester Bennington,) but the new singer, Jeff Gutt, is at least earnest and enthusiastic. Got to stand in the front row, right in front of Robert :)

Could have made this a beer thread too - There are a ton of great microbreweries around me, but fall is my least favorite time for beer. A lot of the breweries release extraordinarily heavy, pumpkin spice & cinnamon sorts of stouts that really aren't ever in season in SoCal, and aren't flavors I'm inclined toward anyway. No one really likes those beers either, so they wind up staying on tap till February. We sometimes get the hottest weather of the year (as far as peak high daily temps.) in October or November, due to the Santa Ana winds, too warm to enjoy a thick, syrupy porter. Feel more like an IPA or Saison, in today's 90 degree 'fall' weather :D

Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:47 pm

FZTNT wrote:Hey Will. Did you know STP's audio engineer Scott Tatter when you hung with the band. He was their live A1 for many years. I went to school with him in Florida and have lost touch and wondered if you knew what he might be up to these days.

Thanks,

Tom

I don't remember. That time was like a bright flash of light; overwhelming & brief.

Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:34 am

willross wrote:
FZTNT wrote:Hey Will. Did you know STP's audio engineer Scott Tatter when you hung with the band. He was their live A1 for many years. I went to school with him in Florida and have lost touch and wondered if you knew what he might be up to these days.

Thanks,

Tom

I don't remember. That time was like a bright flash of light; overwhelming & brief.

Well, thanks anyway. Sounds like the '70s for me. I drank beer, I like beer. Sometimes I drank too much beer.

Tom