Lunch Report for Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:43 am

Good Tuesday, Friends. Thanks to those of you who tuned in and posted yesterday. I enjoyed your responses. I was a bit surprised that nobody had anything to say about the Solstice, but we got through our Monday nevertheless. That was a close call!

Lunch today will be a calzone and an icy cold root beer.

Yesterday we touched on mistakes Leo might have made during the course of his career. Today we’ll keep the focus on Leo, but approach his greatness from a bit of a different angle. It occurred to me not long ago that Leo Fender is one of the only guitar designers who did (or does) not play guitar at all. Paul Reed Smith plays. Tom Anderson plays. Les Paul was a great player, etc.

I’m wondering how you think Leo’s designs might have been different had he been a guitar player. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Also, given what we know about Mr. Fender, if he had been a guitar player, what or who do you think he would have sounded like stylistically? What artist(s) might he have collaborated well with, given his personality and musical tastes?

Finally, I’d like to touch on Father’s Day. I would have done this yesterday if not for the darn Solstice. Dads, how did you spend your special day this year? Get any interesting gifts? Anybody want to share a bit of wisdom you may have gotten from your Dad, or have some good parenting advice to share with other fathers here or fathers-to-be?

Feel free to post pictures of your kids or your Dads. Bonus points if there’s a bass or guitar in the photo.

That’s all for now. Enjoy your day! - ed

Re: Lunch Report for Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:52 am

zapcosongs wrote:Dads, how did you spend your special day this year? Get any interesting gifts?

Gift:

Details:
http://www.rickshawseason.com/schwinn-d ... ty-saddle/

Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:56 am

That hole in the middle of the saddle is imperative for riding :D

No kids here, I am a youngin. Didn't see my Father either, though I did try to call him (8ish hours away and all).

I think if Leo had played he may have taken a less sound engineering approach. The early fenders, and most of Leos guitars seem to be slightly more ergonomic, easier access to change parts, etc. While we as players, have specific images in mind. Some of us cannot resist the bling, and all of us go into a new purchase wanting a certain colour at minimum , generally speaking, used deals aside. I think that companies that started focusing more on aesthetics may have overlooks some of these factors, for example Gibson Arch tops, and having to fish around F holes to change so much as a dead pot.

Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:21 pm

Well, I may get my own oil slick on our beach. We have 2000+ sq/ft of Gulf coastline on an island off of Ft. Myers, Florida. There have not been any wash-ups yet, but hurricane season is soon upon us...

Where the HELL is Jacques Cousteau's team when we really need it?????????????????????????

Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:51 pm

Hey replyman. Where are you? Pine Island? Captiva? Sanabel? Cape Coral? My folks live in Ft. Myers, so I'm a little familiar with the area. - ed

Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:57 pm

Hmmm interesting thoughts on Leo re: guitar playing. I had heard many years ago that he wasn't a player but guess I never really gave it much thought. Did Leo's partners (George, Dale, etc) play? How much input did they have on the guitar design side?

I had a great Father's Day. It was a blazing hot day so I took a swim in the pool with the family and then read some of the NY Times in the hammock with a cold beer. Nothing really interesting for gifts. Since I'm not much of a clothes shopper the girls have made it sort of a tradition to get me a shirt every year. Usually a colorful short sleeve casual thing that I can wear to work (casual office).

Jeff

Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:59 pm

Hey Ed,

Cool "What if?" thoughts. :thumbup:

I’m wondering how you think Leo’s designs might have been different had he been a guitar player. Anybody have any thoughts on this?
Probably not because he hit on about all facets of guitar design as it is.

Who do you think he would have sounded like stylistically? What artist(s) might he have collaborated well with, given his personality and musical tastes?
With piano and sax in his background I'm thinking he may have leaned to the jazz side of things. I could be wrong, he may been a bluesman all along!

How did you spend your special day this year? Get any interesting gifts?
Working in the before leaving town for work. Did get in some baseball time with my kids though. I am a lucky man.

Father's day wisdom?
Spend more time "with" and less money "on" your kids, and do it outside. :luv:

Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:12 am

Thanks again for your responses, folks.

Sam, excellent advice! Nice to see you around.....

Anyhow, I spent Fathers Day with my kids at the creek, then went to a BBQ at our neighbor/friends. Also got to catch up on some reading. I really enjoyed this piece from the previous day's Washington Post:

.http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/18/AR2010061804320.html

Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:33 am

zapcosongs wrote:Hey replyman. Where are you? Pine Island? Captiva? Sanabel? Cape Coral? My folks live in Ft. Myers, so I'm a little familiar with the area. - ed

On Captiva. We also have property on Amelia Island. So, we'll be watching two beaches...

Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:30 pm

I love Captiva!. You guys are lucky to have property in that part of the world. I have my fingers crossed, but with the tropical season upon us now, frankly thinks are likely to get worse before they get better.... I wish you the very best. - Ed