Sorry I'm late Lunch Report for Fri, 6/18/2010

Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:45 pm

Sorry I'm late with this.

Lunch will be something to replenish the gas tank.

Took the opportunity to get in a couple hours bike riding with my son at El Dorado Park in Long Beach. Wanted to get it in before all the marine layer burns off. It's a weight loss and get back in shape kinda thing for me. Those who know me probably recall the distinct pear shape. I'm workin' on it.

Local music education is quite the challenge here in the Los Angeles region. No district money, families feeling the pinch BIG, apathetic districts and politicians; it's just damned ugly. Unless you're in a wealthy area, then it gets better - sometimes MUCH better. I don't begrudge them at all. It's like this all over the country. Which brings to mind volunteerism. Anyone do anything to physically help a local music program in need? Booster parent? Band Mom/Dad? So I'm putting you on the spot.

What are YOU doing, or have you done, to help local music education? It's one thing to open your wallet a little, but another thing altogether to spend a day with the kids at a show. Been there, done that, totally worth it.

How 'bout it?

Thank you all for putting up with my somewhat unusual lunch reports this week. I look forward to zapcosongs' LRs next week.

One more random pr0n

Ken...

Re: Sorry I'm late Lunch Report for Fri, 6/18/2010

Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:34 pm

That really is a stunning SB-2, Ken. Probably the nicest 2nd gen I've seen, seriously!

I have an earlier one (single/single, vol, tone). Wondering how you like the vol/vol setup. Never tried one of those with the neck humbucker (I don't pretend to play bass, either), but it just seems odd to me to have no tone control. But Leo knew what he was doing, obviously.... Thoughts?

I'm not good enough musically to contribute much with regard to local music education. But my 8 year old has been taking group guitar lessons this past year, and I sit in on the classes and help the kids get and keep their guitars in tune which I suppose give the teacher a bit more time to do the teaching. Does this count?

Thanks for your nomination. I look forward to providing a bit of mid-day distraction next week! - ed

Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:02 pm

zapcosongs wrote:That really is a stunning SB-2, Ken. Probably the nicest 2nd gen I've seen, seriously!

Thank you, but that's its good side. This bass has been well-loved. There are all kinds scratches, nicks, & gouges. But whatta player. Absolutely killer.

I have an earlier one (single/single, vol, tone). Wondering how you like the vol/vol setup. Never tried one of those with the neck humbucker (I don't pretend to play bass, either), but it just seems odd to me to have no tone control. But Leo knew what he was doing, obviously.... Thoughts?

You're right; Leo knew what he was doing. I'd modded this one to add a tone pot, essentially giving it a Jazz circuit with its treble cut control. Short term, it was kinda neat. Long term, it was mostly useless. In stock form the split humbucker provides the beef and the single provides the voicing and some bite. It just doesn't need a tone control. The bass is back to stock now, but when I had one it was useful for getting a really boomy sound and for taming new strings.

I'm not good enough musically to contribute much with regard to local music education. But my 8 year old has been taking group guitar lessons this past year, and I sit in on the classes and help the kids get and keep their guitars in tune which I suppose give the teacher a bit more time to do the teaching. Does this count?

Sure! Just remember that you don't have to be musical to help out - particularly when the child reaches high school. A strong back is many times more helpful than anything else.

Thanks for your nomination. I look forward to providing a bit of mid-day distraction next week! - ed

Thank you for accepting. I look forward to the diversion.

Ken...

Tim Buffalo Bros wrote:We've always supported all of their fund raisers, but also we attend many of their performances. While none of my kids have yet to perform. My youngest daughter took Violin lessons but they don't offer it at Jr. High/Middle School ~ so she's looking to switch to clarinet so she could be in the band. My 2nd oldest daughter played clarinet as well, so I'm sure there's some influence there.

My son, despite the fact I bought him a guitar when he was 3 days old which he has ~ plays no instrument. But loves classical music and we've gone to several performances with him ~ most recently 1812 Overture done by the Jr. High Band that he loved.

As a P.S.: His best friend plays in the Jazz band and plays a G&L JB-2 fretless that sounds killer!

Very cool! Good to see you supporting. Thanks!

PS - Please check your "Fret or not to fret" thread. I responded there the day you posted.

Ken...

Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:07 pm

Ken Baker wrote:Took the opportunity to get in a couple hours bike riding with my son at El Dorado Park in Long Beach.

That's great.

I went on a ride with both of the kids today. Here's the picture:

...and the report:
http://www.rickshawseason.com/

It'll be interesting in the future to see how it all works out. I figure at some point they will want to ride by themselves.

Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:43 pm

Brock wrote:I went on a ride with both of the kids today. Here's the picture:

Good looking couple of kids. Bryce is certainly looking nonchalant sitting there, looking like he owns the joint

...and the report:
http://www.rickshawseason.com/

I’m also not sold on GPS yet. I don’t like the lagging speed readings or having to removing the GPS when I park and leave. A bike computer wouldn’t have the lag and could stay on the handlebars at all times.

I haven't used GPS on a bike - probably won't unless I could get one used/cheap. I do have a Garmin Nuvi in the car and it works well with essentially no lag. Of course, a car is moving a lot faster than a bike.

I do have a Cateye on my bike - just a simple wired Strada - and it works very well. But it could be lifted in a heartbeat because they just clip onto their mount. Might not be an issue where you live, but it would be here. Not a New York issue, but still...

Ken...