Friday Lunch Report - April 6 2018

Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:22 am

I packed myself a wonderful lunch this morning - raw baby carrots, string beans, lettuce, a couple of hard boiled eggs, a finger of marbled cheese, some almonds and an apple.

Unfortunately it's sitting on my stove at home, forgotten as I rushed out the door a little late... So, I'll probably pick something up in a downtown eatery when the time comes.

G&L Topic:
Maple bodied G&L guitars.

If you could have any G&L guitar, set up with a maple body - what would it look like - and why?

I think I'd like a Z3 ASAT, with a Will Ray Z3 in the bridge. It would be quilted all-the-way-through and semi-hollow (no f-hole), and have a sweet sunburst finish, with no pickguard, gold hardware, a vintage toned birds-eye maple neck, with a matching sunburst on a reversed headstock. I'd op for stainless steel frets, and a brass nut (hey! I can dream what I want in this space!), locking heads, and a gold left-handed DFV.

I'd like something that was at once (my kind of) eye-candy, and on the other hand, a work-horse tone machine. I don't know if this would do it, but I'd still love that guitar.

NON G&L Topic
3 Memes that tickled your fancy this week

#1 Gender Reality

#2 There can be only one

#3 Motivation

Music

Name: [1] the very last song you listened to, [2] the last song you played on your guitar, edit: BONUS: and [3] one of your all-time favorite BLUES songs.

Last song I listened to: hometown, by 21 pilots
phpBB [video]

Last song I played on the guitar: Forever Autumn (Justin Haywood) off Jeff Wayne's Musical version of the War of the Worlds
phpBB [video]

EDIT: BONUS!
One of my All-Time Favorite BLUES songs: Born under a Bad sign - SRV and Albert King...
phpBB [video]

Enjoy Your Friday!

Re: Friday Lunch Report - April 6 2018

Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:21 pm

Thanks for the lunch report Dan! :happy0065:

I've been pretty good about bringing in a lunch from home or some leftovers, but the last few weeks have been busy so there hasn't been much in the house for lunch items. So today I went through the drive through at Buona Beef. They got confused on my order so I ended up with a beef and sausage combo sandwich, fries, and a sprite.

G&L Topic:

Funny thing is I every once in a while I think about taking a guitar building class with idea of building a maple body guitar! The guitar I have envisioned is very much a G&L guitar. I would base it off the SC-2 with a saddle-lock bridge. For the pickups, I'd go with the S-500 style pickups. I would take a bridge a middle pickup and place them right next to each other in the normal slanted configuration to make a "humbucker" bridge. I would then take another middle pickup and angle this in the neck position. I would have a three way switch for the bridge for parallel / series / single coil operation (just like the humbucker on the kilton bass) and another three way to select between bridge / bridge-neck / neck. The pickup configuration idea is similar to a Jagstang with angles humbucker and single coil, though the switching is different. Ebony fingerboard with pearl block inlays, 12" radius on the fingerboard, Fallout headstock, body finish Tangerine Metallic (been craving this color lately), and the old school SC control plate with no pickguard! I think this would be a fun little Indie rock machine.

Non G&L Topic:

Nothing really jumps out at the moment, but I really enjoyed your #3 Motivation.

Music:

The last song listened to was on the car ride home (there were several songs in the 46 mile commute) - the last actual one was Start It Up by The Weeks.

phpBB [video]

The last song I played on guitar was Bury Me Deep by Poi Dog Pondering. Was trying to come up with a finger picking version - didn't come up with anything that inspired me :yawn:

phpBB [video]

Favorite blues song... I really love Eric Clapton's rendition of Freddy King's "I'm Tore Down"

phpBB [video]

Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:20 pm

I think I'd like a Z3 ASAT, with a Will Ray Z3 in the bridge. It would be quilted all-the-way-through and semi-hollow (no f-hole), and have a sweet sunburst finish, with no pickguard, gold hardware, a vintage toned birds-eye maple neck, with a matching sunburst on a reversed headstock. I'd op for stainless steel frets, and a brass nut (hey! I can dream what I want in this space!), locking heads, and a gold left-handed DFV.

I'd like something that was at once (my kind of) eye-candy, and on the other hand, a work-horse tone machine. I don't know if this would do it, but I'd still love that guitar.

Eye-candy indeed!

Nice tunes btw! Cheers, Dan

Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:04 pm

Let's see if I can get this concept right: I worked from home today, and had some leftover pork chops from last night's dinner for breakfast, but didn't really wind up having a "lunch." For dinner my wife made meat loaf, which a decade ago is a dish I think I had never had (until meeting her.)

G&L Topic: I hear maple is supposed to fall on the "very, very bright" spectrum of tone. I have a maple 1987 SC3 ; it does not exhibit excessive brightness at all, even paired with the MFD singles. It has a very solid treble in particular, but it's far from an icepick with the appropriate settings. George Lynch used maple guitars with Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon pickups, which some people say would be an icepick combination but he seemed to have no such trouble. Then again maybe I'm accustomed to dealing with bright guitars due to being a Jazzmaster/Jaguar player. I have no problem listening to single coil pickups with 1 meg or 500k pots, which some claim not to be able to bear.

That said I would take *any* G&L with a maple body as a preference- solid flame, Leo style :) I'm intrigued by Dohenys lately, so if I had the opportunity to order a custom G&L it would be a Doheny with such a body, finished in transparent seafoam green (matching transparent/flame headstock of course,) black blocks/binding on a maple fretboard, with gold anodized guard. Leo era, I'd love a maple-bodied pointy-horn/sickle Comanche.

Non-G&L Topic: The only one I remember from the last month, is not appropriate for posting. I tend to avoid any place I might accidentally notice a "meme" nowadays that said

Music: Last song I listened to: Church on White - Steven Malkmus. Last song I played: Geek USA - Smashing Pumpkins (came out while I was trying my Devi Ever Rocket fuzz for the first time in about a year; like the pedal more than I remember.)

Bonus: In all honesty... Yes, I understand how "fundamental" the blues are to guitar music; I get why it's difficult to *not* squeak out a bluesy pentatonic every time you pick up a guitar. But I don't know if I've ever had the mindset to feel like I wanted to listen to more blues music than I inadvertently hear from YouTube gear demos. Most guitar music that really suits me happens to fall very farm from "the blues."

Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:32 am

Thanks for the LR Dan.

I'd love to have a thin skinned S-500 with a Trinity set-up, roasted maple neck, DFV with DFS appointments.
...and maybe an old SuperReverb 4-10" to lean it against while I'm dreaming.

This is the only meme that comes to mind...

Last song I listened to:
The Police (playing at the local dispensary)

phpBB [video]

Last song I played on the guitar:
More of a Jam; Muffin Man

phpBB [video]

Blues!
My first thought is 'Red House'. But I'll link to a newer talent I've recently come across...
phpBB [video]

Happy Saturday!

Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:09 am

I think I would have to find an early maple bodied ASAT to complement my early swamp ash ASAT. Mostly to see if I can hear a difference.

I saw a funny meme disparaging bass players, which are always funny. I am much too lazy to try and find it and post it here however.

Last song I listened to was " Rats in the cellar " on my way home from work last night.

Last song I played on guitar was " Sex farm " and " Gimme some Money " before I left for work yesterday ( hey, I'm being honest ! )

The live version of JLH " Serves me right to suffer " is a favorite blues song, there is some great riffing in that one.

Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:03 pm

"Girl ya thought he was a man but he only was a Muffin. Who's cries is heard in the middle of the night because of his stuffing."

My all time favorite guitar solo in this song. Seen him more than 50 times and just loved it when he played this song. Sometimes that solo would go on for them minuets. Some of the best lyrics ever too.

I miss him greatly.

Elwood wrote:

Last song I played on the guitar:
More of a Jam; Muffin Man

phpBB [video]

Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:44 pm

sunday night, i'll bite...

witsok - i like the clapton "tore down" version. Freddy King was a master but clapton's version in C at Hyde Park did that song justice!

elwood - lovin' the josh smith blues thing, thx, he was feelin' that

can't remember what i had for lunch today, let alone friday!

last tune played: big boss man (jimmy reed) with my friend wednesday night. he's breakin in a '08 Tele (transparent crimson/ash/maple board) he just got that's very sweet. i set it up for him and we jammed. something about a tele if it's just right

last tune listened: "too much seconal", johnny winter. my latest acquisition was a firebird, so i have been revisiting his stuff

next G&L (don't tell my wife) will have to be fullerton red with creme p'ups and pickguard, probably an asat but might settle for an s-500 or a fallout