Almost Lunch Time! Lunch Report 6-DEC-17

Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:44 am

Hasn’t been a lunch report in a while, so here one just because…

Lunch today is leftover pork enchiladas. The mole was made using the peppers I dehydrated from my garden this year. The dried peppers are wonderfully fruity and have a pleasant level of heat. I’ll was them down with a Tangerine La Croix.

G&L Topics

Anyone have any G&L sightings lately? The other night I decided to watch some A.V. Undercover videos and noticed an ASAT Classic in The Big Moon’s mashup of Total Eclipse of the Heart.

phpBB [video]

Also, if you were to purchase a built to order G&L today, what would you order? Someday, I’d like to fill out my MFD collection. So I’d like to eventually and an F-100 Return Edition, ASAT Z-3, and SC-2 (even though I already have an ASAT Special Deluxe – I just love the Mustang style SCs). Since the LE-2 has F-100 bridge PU and I have the ASAT Special, I’d probably go with the ASAT Z-3. I’m thinking Ash body with front and rear contours, Whiskey finish with cream pickguard, black pickup covers, caramel ebony fingerboard with white pearl block inlays, gloss finish on the neck and black headstock. So what would you order?

Non-G&L Topic

Thanksgiving has just past here in the USA and Christmas and New Year’s just around the corner. What do you like to do to enjoy the holidays? I’m hoping to brew a few batches of beer over the holidays. Currently have plans for a session strength (~4.5% ABV) saison with amaranth, agave nectar, and neo-mexicanus hops. I’m also working on getting a sour dough starter going. In the past I’ve naturally harvested wild yeast and lactobacilli to create sour dough starters. The thought of having fresh sour dough bread around regularly is very appealing to me right now. I’m also looking forward to watching so of the bowl games. It been 5 years since my school last went to a bowl game. It was fun year seeing them turn the corner from years of bad! I’ll also take plenty of time to just doodle on the guitar – maybe work on some songs. Of course I’m looking forward to spending time with family. Though the gift giving part is getting tiresome… I never know what to get anyone anymore and when people ask what I want I can’t think of anything either… I enjoy the time, experiences and memories more than the gifts. So, what you going to do?

Music Topic

Who is someone on your bucket list that you want to see play live? It was around 1995 that I was introduced to Paul Kelly. The album getting air play at the time was Deeper Water. I picked up this album and also picked up Live at the Continental and the Esplande. I really love the energy in the live album. Hope I get a chance to see him perform live someday. So who is someone you would like to see perform live that you haven’t experience yet?

phpBB [video]

Cheers, Dan
Last edited by WitSok on Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Almost Lunch Time! Lunch Report 8-DEC-17

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:14 am

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the well needed and much appreciated lunch report. :thumbup: Yer making me hungry for enchiladas with mole. Mine will wind up being late lunch early dinner at an airport. Fancy dining for sure.

Have not had any G&L sightings lately but with all the music shows on the tube have definitely had my eyes looking for them.

My custom build G&L would be an ASAT (surprise), either try to custom request an ASAT Super, an ASAT HB like Tom posted the other day, or maybe ASAT Special SH with as much "sparkle" as I could come up with i.e. Quilted top, lots of binding, roasted neck, matching headstock, custom neck inlay, and who knows what else. :evilgrin:

A lot of shopping has been completed but a few final things to go. My son has a birthday in a couple of weeks and that should be fun. Ya may even see a picture or two round here. But we all have too much stuff for sure.

Some acts I would still like to see are Joe Walsh, Grant Lee Philips, Stone Temple Pilots (they are touring with new singer who's pretty good imho) and maybe Blue Oyster Cult.

Thanks for the LR, was feeling famished after such a long time!

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:59 am

Hey Dan, nice job on the lunch report!

For lunch, my wife is working on a custom shop grilled cheese with secret ingredients, and coffee. Looking forward to that.

re: a custom order G&L, i have recently been enjoying my ASAT classic bluesboy with black limba top, such a sweet guitar. I'm quite happy with my current G&L stable inhabitants, but for the future, since I've got a thing for red guitars, I would love to score an ASAT special in Fullerton Red with cream colored large coil mfd's, and the chechen fretboard you referred to. I saw one of those at the factory last spring and it looked scrumtuous. I'd also consider an ASAT classic in transparent red with a maple board, tinted neck.

re: recent G&L sightings, i noticed Nick Black has been using a silver sparkle ASAT special in recent pictures. He's a young talented R&B guy out of Memphis who i saw last year, playing a nice Tele with Victor Wainwright and the Wildroots. He's a very soulful player, and a solid vocalist, too.

On my wish list to see live is Robben Ford, a stellar blues/jazz player, mostly blues now. i last saw him in the 80's as a guest sideman for David Sanborn, but his recent stuff is so inspiring, and i just love his technique and phrasing.

Looking forward to Christmas as well, mostly since my kids will come around, and I lucked out with 4 days off. Us Eagles fans are hoping for good things, despite their lackluster performance against the fluorescent seahawks on Sunday night. Regards,

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:28 am

Lunch was a late breakfast at my favorite diner - Strip Steak, three eggs over easy, hashbrowns with onions.

G&L Custom Order (if I were to spec one today):

#1 Would be a Comanche RMC with a tasty spalted and flame maple top in Cherryburst

#2 Would be a Doheny "Thinline" style Semi-Hollow in Swamp Ash, top bound with rear belly cut- and a Mastery or Staytrem Bridge (although they don't offer it) otherwise with a DFV. Cream pickgaurd, black pup covers and knobs, and clear orange frost, Neck would be satin vintage tint Rosewood board and abalone blocks, color-matched headstock.

G&L Sightings: My guilty pleasure, Puddles Pity Party

phpBB [video]

Non-G&L: What would I like to do to enjoy the holidays? I'd like to get shopping over with and sit by the fireplace with a long stem pipe and a nice cognac. It would have to be somewhere else since I won't smoke inside my house. Play music with my kids while they are on winter break.

Music Topic

Who is someone on your bucket list that you want to see play live?

Mavis Staples, Tom Waits, Umphreys Macgee, Jack Johnson, Jacob Dylan, Shawn Mullens, Eric Clapton (probably too late to do that one)...

Re: Almost Lunch Time! Lunch Report 6-DEC-17

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:03 pm

Oops, had the calendar still on November... Fixe the date in the subject to 6-DEC17. :oops:

Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:35 pm

Thanks for the LR Dan !!

Cheeseburger and fries for lunch today

Doheeny for sure , even thinking about selling my Rampage and Cavalier to get one , Big Flake Green , matching HS , Rose wood big block inlays , DF , Locking tuners and quatersawn , mint guard and white pickups and knobs on Empress , if you see this on FB you know I ordered it , lol

Sighting of Glen Campbell playing his Comanche ( nothing new there ) but did notice this time he only has two knobs like Tone and Volume ( no PTB ) I guess I never noticed that before

I would like to see Buddy Guy one more time

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:20 pm

My custom build G&L would be an ASAT (surprise), either try to custom request an ASAT Super, an ASAT HB like Tom posted the other day, or maybe ASAT Special SH with as much "sparkle" as I could come up with i.e. Quilted top, lots of binding, roasted neck, matching headstock, custom neck inlay, and who knows what else. :evilgrin:

Sam, I like where your going, especially like the idea of an ASAT Special SH!

G&L Sightings: My guilty pleasure, Puddles Pity Party

Digging this version more than ABBA, but I got to say the clown is creepy... But then, I think that's what he's going for... :BadIdea:

#1 Would be a Comanche RMC with a tasty spalted and flame maple top in Cherryburst

Seen a few of these RMC Comanches on G&L Facebook - pretty damn sweet IMO. Good choice Patrick!

I would love to score an ASAT special in Fullerton Red with cream colored large coil mfd's, and the chechen fretboard you referred to. I saw one of those at the factory last spring and it looked scrumtuous. I'd also consider an ASAT classic in transparent red with a maple board, tinted neck.

I've been consider Fullerton Red too. So many finishes, not enough $ The Chechen boards are pretty sweet.

Doheeny for sure , even thinking about selling my Rampage and Cavalier to get one , Big Flake Green , matching HS , Rose wood big block inlays , DF , Locking tuners and quatersawn , mint guard and white pickups and knobs on Empress , if you see this on FB you know I ordered it , lol

I love green! The Doheny has been high on my list. Sound like they are doing a good job sorting the wood to keep the weight down on these. I was consider a Fullerton Red (since I don't have a red guitar yet), mint pickguard (actually would like gold anodized put it is not offered), ebony figerboard, pearl block inlays, matching headstock, DFV... But, now I'm back green. Yeah!

Another Paul Kelly video. This was the first song I heard from Paul Kelly.

phpBB [video]

Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:45 am

That mole sauce sounds great. I've been on a pepper grilling kick lately...the blacker the better.

I've harvested some nice bread starter from champagne grapes, cultivated in mostly white flours.

This is a good brand that I've had going a few times,it makes a potent sourdough once it gets going.
(add a little rye once in a while, they love that ;) )

I find myself wanting a burst Doheny Bass, Ash or Korina...or maybe Koa since I'm dreaming.

Thanks for the LR, we should do this more often :banana: