Lunch: Monday, June 7

Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:19 am

Food:
2 El Monterey frozen burritos. These:
http://www.elmonterey.com/mexicanfood/b ... -burritos/

...and some Brooke Bond tea from India via Canada. I was in India last year. I've been buying that tea in Boise (via Canada) since.

Have any burritos lately?

Music:
I've been working on a project with Matt Long called "Traveler" for a few years now. All the songs are now written, and final versions are up next. More about that this week.

...but first, I'll explain the avatar to the left. That's the cover for my self-published demos I recorded in the last half of February called "Sketchpad". And that's what they are, rough demos. Some ideas, nothing polished, nothing final. Some are clearly better than others. The songs are presented in the order recorded, and my playing improves throughout the recording, which I find somewhat amusing. The Banjitar was really new to me and my timing improved greatly on that (and other instruments too) as time went on. Anyway, here it is. Don't expect awesome!:
http://f.rpmchallenge.com

I printed up about 14 of these total. O'plenty! if you feel like skipping through, the best tracks seem to be "Windblown Leaf", "Spring", and "Sorrow (in D)". Here's the description I wrote, and then wrote "Windblown Leaf" from:
A leaf falls from a tree then blows across a prairie school playground in the fall. Early on, it blows through a soccer goal with no net, then the wind dies down, and ultimately, the dark red leaf ends up in a pile with other leaves in the corner of a fence.

Most of the liner notes were written as I went, and can be found in this blog:
http://www.rpmchallenge.com/component/o ... r/id,8543/

Been working on any original projects lately? Whatcha got?

How do you self-publish? Sketchpad was printed out on the old Epson Inkjet printer. It prints directly onto printable CD-ROMs too, so I also did the CDs. The tricky part was finding a stapler that would span far enough to span to the middle of a CD book. Kinko's had one, so I used that. 2 cents a staple.

G&L:
No G&L on Sketchpad. My wife put the SB-2 in it's case, which is like a coffin for an instrument for me. I need to liberate it and stash something else. The only G&L on sketchpad is the SB-1 MFD in my Martin EB-28 bass. This one:

Anyone else find that once an instrument is put in a case it tends to disappear for practical purposes? I do. I'm gonna liberate the SB-2 this week!

Until next time, "may all your troubles be zapped!"

-Brock

Re: Lunch: Monday, June 7

Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:02 pm

There is a great burrito joint by my place called "Jimmy Gringos" Burritos that are absolutely huge for 7.50. Delicious.

I don't understand this sketchpad thing I all I can get is page sounds on download :D

As far as cases go I keep my instruments in them as I live in Ontario (Canada) hot humid summers and dry cold winters make me try to keep them there as they are less incremental. I don't have a humidifier/dehumidifier combo to supplement this at the moment. My on guitar is a case warrior but it is due to not being what I want right now more than anything.

I have an ongoing solo project so to speak as I am jaded and don't want to deal with bands right now (I likely cannot also commit the time) My recordings like yours, typically improved with time. Albeit the 2nd one sounds overall clearest and turned out best in my opinion.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:07 pm

Brock wrote: Been working on any original projects lately? Whatcha got?

Nothing recent,
.... though maybe soon,I just added a roland pickup to an old SG and the new sounds are a good source of inspiration.

The Martin bass looks fabulous with MFDs, well done.

Brock wrote:
Anyone else find that once an instrument is put in a case it tends to disappear for practical purposes?

Yah, especially the projects...I pulled a few out so they get the TLC they deserve.

Brock wrote:
Until next time, "may all your troubles be zapped!"

Thanks, that reminds me, I need to get a resistor for draining some filter caps.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:01 pm

Hi Brock
I've got a few things competting for my attention at the moment so I may or may not be able to post much ... but I will make a point to stop by daily.

Burritos: Hard to find anything decent in this part of the world - either fresh or packaged.

Traveler: Looking forward to an update or two as the week progresses.

Original Priojects: two on-and-off projects. "A Brief History of .... Mine: From Big Bang to Black Hole", salvaging whatever I can from a couple of old cassettes from my younger days that I thought were long lost but resurfaced a couple of years ago when my dad moved homes. They are in pretty poor shape and its a bit of a challenge trying to get them into a digial format and enhance the quality. "Older but No Wiser" ... the result of wine induced speculation as to what our late 70s/early '80s gothic/punk band might have sounded like if "now" had been our time.

Cases .... are for travelling. Most of my guitars stay out on racks.

cheers, Robbie

Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:05 pm

I have a couple of real good Mexican places nearby. One is called Sierra Grill and the Other is called Chapala restaurant. They both do great burritos, chimichangas and fajitas.

No recording projects currently. Last year I recorded a live album with my large blues band: Capital Blues Ensemble. http://www.capitalbluesensemble.com

I force myself to mine the cases and rotate the instruments that I use.

That reminds me. I have to get the L-5000 out for a spin.

bassman

Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:07 am

We've got a good Mexican joint around here...Jalisco...and a few taco trucks that make some pretty tasty food. Though I generally get the tacos from the taco trucks rather than the burritos.

I record the occasional original composition...I play the guitar parts, do my best to lay down a simple, yet interesting, bass track, then program in drums. Do it all on my Boss BR-864. Once I had a good number of songs I burned a few discs w/liner notes for certain friends. But I'm not sure I'll do that again...none of them have been asking for another!! :cry:

I always keep my instruments in their case. Virginia isn't subject to radical climate shifts from season to season, and we run AC in the summer and a dehumidifier in the basement, but still, I figure they're somewhat protected in cases. Plus it also reduces how dusty they get!! (They all get played regularly, but that dust still collects in those hard to get places!!)