View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Lunch Report for August 17, 2017 

Post Lunch Report for August 17, 2017
Hello Everyone!

I noticed there doesn't seem to be any conversations going on today, and that seemed a good enough reason to do my first Lunch report!

Today's Lunch
Each Thursday, a local vendor near my office samples various wines at lunch time. It has been my habit, along with a co-worker, to trot ourselves down and take a sample of whatever is on the sampling block that day. I started out not knowing very much about wine, but after a few years, I have come to sample hundreds of wines, and have a much better understanding of what I like, and what I don't like.

Notwithstanding, on the day that we sample wine each week - we likewise head to the local mall where a large food court with various franchised establishments offer up their finest processed efforts, and we typically eat our lunch thus.

Today, I expect to eat a Momma burger with cheese from A & Ws, and wash it down with a glass of water.

Something G&L Guitar Related
Today is the day my Tribute Comanche (recently purchased from eBay) is supposed to be delivered. I can hardly wait to receive it, and hope it has survived the journey to my house without incident. Assuming all is well, I plan to play the heck out of it tonight. That brings me to the topic at hand - What was the last G&L guitar you purchased, and what provoked you to purchase it?

The first time I saw a Comanche I thought the pickups looked ... awkward. I was going to say "ugly" - but it wasn't that they were unpleasant to look at, it was that they were not the aesthetic I have (by longstanding exposure) been trained to admire. So when I first saw them, I wanted to know why they looked the way they did, and in doing so I became intrigued by the model. Having listened to a pretty much every youtube video (event the very bad ones) that included a Comanche - I thought I would like to try one out.

Unfortunately, I live in a place where these guitars do not come up very often locally for sale, and I do not know anyone else who has one. So I had thought to perhaps put together a Comanche pickguard and slap that on my legacy to see how that would work - but for all the work and cost, I reasoned it would be more satisifying to pick up a used Comanche Tribute if I could find one.

Well, long story short, I tried soliciting locally for anyone who had one, but that turned up empty. I had plan to give that a few months when I was scanning eBay, as I am wont to do - and saw a very pretty, very minty Comanche at what I felt was a ridiculously reasonable "buy it now" price. honestly, if we liken guitar features to poker cards, I'd say this was a straight flush King or queen high. There might be better hands out there - but very few. So I immediately "bought it now" out of fear that this new listing would likely get swallowed up by someone else within the hour if I ignored it. I don't fall in love at first sight with the way a guitar looks. Usually I warm up to it. Not this time. This time I was head over heels with the looks, and frankly would have probably bought it even at an additional 25-50% in price.

The Tracking information says it is out for delivery today.

Color me excited!

What's your story about the last G&L you bought - why'd you get it, and how'd you come to get it - we'd all love to hear.

Today's Music
I listened to Twenty One Pilots on the ride in to work. I have all the albums on a shuffled playlist on my iPhone, so that is what I've been listening to today - though I just bought Jeff Beck's "Loud Hailer" album, and have been giving that a lot of play recently. I haven't really followed Beck's career, though I've always admired him as a player. This was the first album I bought and I have to say... it his playing is quite tasty on this album

Here is the track I liked "first" on the album:
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6dsffOrOoI

Miscellaneous topic
What vehicle did you learn to drive in?

I learned to drive on the country roads in rural Manitoba in my Uncle's old white Ford (?) pickup. I didn't know much about trucks back then, so I couldn't tell you what year it was or model. I do know it had a bench seat, curved "olden-days" fenders around the front tires, and an all metal dashboard that gleamed in the same white paint as the rest of the truck. It had 3-on-the-tree, and a pretty forgiving clutch. I can still remember my cousin Jerry riding beside me, down the gravel road, my self in the passenger seat, and Jerry sitting in the driver's door window, with his legs in the cab, and the rest of him hanging out side whooping and hollering as we kicked up dust. We were such idiots. sigh.

Looking forward to hearing other people's stories.

Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:31 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Lunch Report for August 17, 2017
Lunch- boring old sack lunch from home, deli meat, sandwich, chips etc....

Last G&L bought- Bluesboy 90 just a couple months ago. It was something of an impulse buy though it did take a good six weeks before I pulled the trigger. I have always liked t-style guitars and the pick up combo intrigued me. Plus I had never tried the box style bridge. There are no retailers around here either so it was bought online (I made sure the store had an easy return policy). I've been very happy though; the build quality is spot on, plays great and sounds awesome. No problems adjusting to the bridge and the classic c neck feels great now though I was surprised by the thickness at first. Very nice guitar- if anyone has wondered about these.....buy one!

Music today- Dinosaur Jr.'s last release and The Pretenders last release have been listened to lots this spring/summer.

Car- hard to pinpoint but I suppose my mother's 1980 Citation. I had driven others prior but that was the car I really learned in. It was also the first standard shift car I drove. Three on the tree reminds me of my brother in law's Maverick and my aunt's old Saab- what an odd design but I suppose not that unusual back then.

Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:24 am

Not sure what lunch will be today. I probably will grab a falafel pita after the gym . My older brother became quite the wine aficionado years ago and I was fortunate enough to try some really great bottles , he had a knack for picking some real winners. I learned a lot from him.

The last G&L I bought was my 86 ASAT that I will have owned for 3 years come December. I found it on craigslist for sale locally of all places ( which is like winning the guitar lottery as G&L have zero presence in metro Vancouver ) . The guy I bought it from took a flyer on a G&L and didn't like it. He wanted 800 for it and I couldn't get my money out fast enough. Its really clean for a 31 year old guitar and once I set it up to my liking I was very, very happy. It has actually kind of dampered my enthusiasm for new G&L's . I would buy another pre BBE Asat for sure, I love the sound and the black hardware.

I try to keep tabs on new music. Always room for classic rock for me. Listening to " Toys in the attic as I type this ", just before that I listened to Treble Charger. The first time I have listened to two full albums in a long, long time. No More, No More is playing right now ( track 7 ).

I discovered " Little Barrie " a couple of years ago and really enjoy them . Great 60's surf like heavy on the reverb with killer playing , awesome stuff. I listen to SOMA FM internet radio to find new music as well.

I learned to drive in a 1977 Pontiac Phoenix on the mean streets of Burnaby. It was my buddy Corey's former family car that migrated to him and his two older brothers . It was beat to <censored word> but it just woundn't die. He still had a paper route up until grade 12 and I would creep along while he jogged his route and came back to the car for more papers. Took 20 mins and we were done.

Thanks for the report and happy playing ahead !

Paul

Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:51 am

Thanks for the lunch report Dan!

Lunch today was a Reuben sandwich, coleslaw, pickle, and a root beer (probably should have went with water!) from the cafeteria at work. Normally, I try to bring something from home, but we had no leftovers and was in a rush to get out the door this morning.

The last G&L I bought is the SC-3 in my avatar, . I had been looking around for a pre-BBE era G&L in my area just to try it out. I was primarily looking for a S-500 or an SC-2. I wanted find out about this mojo these guitars possessed from everything I read on here. I ran across a listing for an SC-3 in Rockford, IL and the price had just been reduced. Rockford is on the way when we drive back to Iowa to visit the parents so I decided to make a stop at the GC in Rockford to check out the SC-3. It was the day before Thanksgiving in 2015. My impressions of this instrument were:

1. Much better looking guitar in person. The headstock that looks so large in pictures seems much smaller in person. In fact it only appears large to me when it is on a hanger. In someone hands or in the case it looks all right. I love the "banana" control plate. I wish they would add these to the reissued SC-2s.
2. The guitar was in very good condition. I was expecting a lot more dings, fingerboard wear, fret wear, and missing finish on the neck. It was in much better than I expected for a 30-31 year old instrument at that time.
3. The price was a deal in my opinion...

So when I walked back to the car my wife asked, "did you buy anything?" I said, "no." She then asked, "did you want to buy anything." I said, "yes." She gave me that that said "do you really need another guitar," but her voice said, "just go ahead and buy it." So I walked back in an bought it. From what I have gathered here, it is one of the few saddlelock sunburst SC-3 ever built. Most SC-3 had DFV bridges.

As for music this morning, I finished listening to School of Fish "Human Cannonball." Once that had finished up I was flipping back and forth between WXRT and WSCR on the radio.

I learned to drive in a Chrysler Aries (I think it was called an Aries) station wagon - back in the K car days. It was an 4 cylinder with an automatic. The manual transmission car I learn in was a Mercury Capri. Not sure the year, it had the smaller 2L 4 cylinder engine. I preferred the Capri...

Cheers, Dan

Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:24 am

Chicken sandwich with Bacon is lunch

Last G&L would be my 1997 ASAT Deluxe , already had a new Deluxe but the weight , 3 color Burst and feel made me bring home . Once home this guitar has more sustain than anything I have ever heard , love the pickups and I'm going to be recording a couple songs through it this week for our Band

I bought my first Dirt Bike in 1974 , the transition to cars was easy after that , but my first car drive was when I snuck my Dads Porsche 914 out in broad daylight back in 1976 with 2 friends (2 seat car , lol ) , all of us were 15 years old , a year before I got my license , parked it back in the exact same spot in the garage and never thought anything about every neighbor on the street watching me , lol , Dad never did say anything to me

Todays Music is the "Hank" FM Radio station , it plays older Country Music from 80's and 60's , we've had it on all week

Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:34 am

Thanks for the LR Dan.

Lunch was leftover Chinese food, kind of boring but it did the trick.

The last G&L I bought was the F-100 prototype. It's an odd story really. I have become fairly good friends with the president of Gruhn Guitars and have bought several guitars from or through him in the past year or more so we keep in touch. He called me about an odd G&L guitar that he just put into his inventory and wanted to know if I was interested. It was kind of expensive for not really knowing what it was but I had a feeling it was something special. He had also put a Broadcaster on sale at the same time. Since we were friends I made him an offer for both guitars at almost $2K less than the combined prices and to my surprise, he accepted my offer so I got almost a two-for-one deal. The broadcaster is in pretty good shape and is my "Player Broadcaster" as the other two are quite special. We have discussed the F-100 a fair amount and I was thrilled to find recently that it was used for a photo in the 1980 catalog. It has some different switching than the normal F-100, no serial number, a saddle lock bridge without even the G&L logo stamped on it (actually I think they were actually forged with the logo) and plays very well for one of the first G&L guitars made.

For some reason I don't listen to a lot of music like I used to. I tend to listen to more talk radio or watch the news. It's a shame what our world has become since I was a kid growing up learning to drive in a fleet of VW Beatles. (see how I did that?) I have three older brothers so they taught me how to drive. We collected old VW's so always had at least six laying around in all states of repair. My Dad hated it, our house and most of the yard was in real good shape and then there was this junk yard in the corner. We could change engines in about 5 minuets so we were always tinkering. Those things do great off road too, they are so light they just float on the mud and you can pretty much push and drive them at the same time. Lots of fun. I had one that I removed all but the driver seat so we could fit my Voice of the Theater PA speakers in it to take to gigs. Imagine that for a second...got the image? Now stop laughing! too much fun back in the day.

Hope your Comanche lives up to your expectations Dan, play in peace.

Tom

Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:37 pm

Hey Dan, good idea, LR! Can't wait to hear your impressions of the comanche.

lunch: omelet my wife made with cheese, jersey tomato and asparagus, while I suffered through a conference call.

most recent G&L: 1984 (January) Skyhawk, all black, ebony board, dfv. lucky find on Reverb in February, from KillerVintage Guitars in St Louis. I underbid substantially and they went for it. very good condition, sounds and plays fabulous. just played a reggae gig with some fellows from Jamaica, and they were amazed by its tone and mojo.

listening: to Dopapod's live record from earlier this year. progressive rock band from Boston, just saw them at Peach Festival in Scranton PA last week, 4 day festival, 35K people, 3 stages. lotsa good stuff. Allman's tribute, allstar cast. Jake C of Umphreys was playing a new S-500, black/tort/maple with hotrails pups at neck and bridge. awesome as always!

1st car was a '71 Ford Torino 500, 2 door, 302 V8, light green. the green machine. paid $800 cash for it on my 17th birthday (had to wait til 17 to drive in Jersey, but the drinking age was 18, fair enough!)

Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:39 pm

Hey Dan thanks for the Lunch Report! :clap:

Lunch today was McDonalds drive through on the way to meeting across town. More of a brunch since it was a bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit with a coke. Not the healthiest lunch but it hit the spot.

Last G&L bought...it arrived YESTERDAY!!! NGD report to be posted soon. Like Mutts I got a Detroit Muscle Series ASAT Bluesboy 90. Have wanted one for three reasons: 1- don't have anything with a P90 2 - always wanted a bright yellow guitar 3 - you can never have too many ASAT's. Like mutts said, if you have thought about them, go get one.

Looking forward to hearing about and seeing yer' new Commanche.

The music in my rotation lately has been Alice Cooper's latest release "Paranormal". Ray Davies solo release that he collaborated with the Jayhawks, and latest Marillion release. All great releases with the bands classic sounds. Going to see Alice next week. He's in the middle of Deep Purple and Edgar Winter. Should be fun.

Learned to drive on a '73 convertible Mustang. After I got my license it was the "available" car so off I went with the top down most of the time. :evilgrin: My dad had it until about five years ago and sold it. I was going to get it, or buy from him, but oh well. It had been fully rebuilt at the Mustang Ranch and was still a sweet ride.

Thanks for the needed Lunch Report :thumbup:

Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:49 pm

I am pleasantly surprised to see a lunch report!

I don't feel hungry today so I had a Greek yogurt and some roasted peanuts for lunch. So far.

I bought a Tribute Fallout a couple of months ago because the combination of pickups appealed to me as a sound I did not have in my collection. I am quite pleased with it given how little it cost. But compared side-by-side to my 1990 SC-3 it is definitely still a step down in sound across the entire guitar scale spectrum. It is still fun to play though so I'm keeping it.

I don't listen to entire CDs like I used to anymore. I generally just have Pandora on my Internet radio receiver when I listen. Recently I noticed that Pandora added this station called "thumbprint" for me. After tuning in to it for an hour or so I realized that it is a mix of all my Pandora stations, which works out really well. What I do is when I hear something I like I'd take a look at the display on the Internet radio receiver and make a note of the song and the artist. A lot of times I don't even have any information as to whether the piece of music is old or new. The last CD I listened to was something by Afro Celt Sound System.

I learned how to drive in the late 60s and my older friend taught me in his manual shift VW bug. For many years my cars were all manual shift. Once my wife and I started a family I switched to automatics as kids in a car can be a handful.

Today I have been working on a guitar. Someone had given our band's singer's son a guitar a while ago but it was not in playable shape. Since he does not know how to play and even less about guitars I told him I'd take a look at it if he wants me to. Last night I got the guitar and this morning I started working on it.

The guitar came to me with two strings missing and a little rusty, but it turned out to be a US-made Peavey with dual blade humbuckers. A couple of tuners were not screwed in tight and several were a little loose to turn, so that's the first things fixed. The neck had a bit too much bow so I tightened the trussrod. I tested the electronics and it appears to work, but not completely, as I was to find out later. The neck was a bit off alignment so I fixed that to the best I could as one of the neckplate screws won't come off. I took off the 3 neck screws that I could get off and pivoted the neck enough to correct the alignment and re-inserted the screws. I then put a set of strings on the guitar. The action on the guitar ended up a bit high going down the neck. There is a small hex screw as part of the neck plate that possibly may be a neck tilt adjust, but I could not turn it effectively to know. I then went and intonated the bridge.

I then tested the guitar with an amp. I had noticed that the bridge pickup was set really low on the pickguard, and when I first played it the volume of that pickup was a lot lower than the neck pickup. I kept adjusting the bridge pickup higher and higher, but I not able to get near to equalizing the volume of the two pickups. I googled for info and found a couple of thiings I can check, but I haven't got a chance to do that yet.

In any case, I am pretty confident that this guitar can be made to play and sound decent. It will just take a bit more work.

Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:09 pm

Thanks for posting the LR!

Lunch was a return the the "F-100 Diet" I came up with a few years ago. It was a turkey smoked kielbasa cut in half and wrapped in the two sides of a sandwich thin, with hot dog condiments and iced tea. I once ate that same thing every meal for a month, and put money I saved on my food budget toward an F-100 (I was living like a bachelor while starting a job in a new city). Lost a bit of weight in the process, too. It may the only recorded case of a meal choice being caused by GAS, instead of the other way around...

The last G&L I bought was a gift for my son (although he split the cost), and the one before that was a rescue that seemed in danger of parting out. The one before that was for me, so I'll count it instead. The story was pretty straightforward. I was browsing in my local used gear shop, feeling a bit of satisfaction that I had made the rounds without any GAS attacks, when I saw paddle headstock with an L-2000E decal poking up from the last rack on the way out. Seeing a chrome control plate on a sunburst mahogany body got me worked up, and a fretless ebony fingerboard put me over the edge. I started running through my trade fodder options in my head before I had played a single note. It turned out to be listed for about half of what I expected, so it went home with me that day.

I've learned from my struggles with GAS that it is possible to be happy with just one ASAT, but that you can never have too many fretless L-2000s. This is my first 'hog fretless, and it is definitely a keeper. Based on some research I did on this site, I believe it is the same one George Fullerton used as an illustration in his book.

Music: I've been searching for gems I missed the first time around, especially 1980-vintage post punk bands. My kids are starting to explore music on their own, and have been exposing me to a lot of interesting new stuff. The latest was a band called Screaming Females. The singer/guitarist pulls absolutely amazing tones out of a couple of S-500s. They are definitely worth a listen for G&L fans. Even if the music isn't up your alley, she gives a master class on what an S-500 can do.

Ken

Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:46 pm

The last G&L I bought was a '89 L-2000 for just under 600.

There's a late 80's SC-3 that just hit ebay..I might have to edit
this if I don't find something to distract me...hmmm..maybe I should play that L-2000 :idea:

Thanks for the LR Dan!
I bet you'll find there are times when those Z-coils are just the ticket.
...looking forward to hearing your thoughts after you get to know 'em.
cheers
Elwood

Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:28 pm

Great LR Dan. I hope the guitar is all you want it to be.

Lunches have been mostly salad, with chicken. Trying to be good, for lunch at least.

My last G&L was the LE-2, #3

I've had some work done on it, including a complete setup and various other tweaking and its perfect. Plays well. That f100 hum bucker, wow.

I have bought a couple other guitars after this one, not g&l though, I bought a Teye Super Coyote and a Collings 360 LTM (P90s custom from lollar). Both those are exceptional guitars, but significantly more $$.

Whats interesting is that I had 10 guitars, now down to 5 really good ones, keepers. I would say the only one I regret getting rid of was my 2009 legacy, satin neck, had a hum bucker in the bridge. It was a great guitar, so easy to play. Makes me want an S-500. Would love one with a hardtail.

As far as music listening goes, I use apple music and whatever fancies me on their playlists or radio. Yesterday afternoon, they had a "sunday morning classic rock" playlist and it was great. I am sick of whats on the regular radio these days.

When I got my drivers license in 1973 UGH, my mom had a 1971 VW beetle which I drove a lot, learned to drive a standard that way and created a lifelong passion for vw, porsche, pedals from the ground. My dad also had an 1972 oldmobile cutlas 442, that was fun as well. My first car after that was a 1969 VW type III notchback, followed by a 1975 chevy nova, regular 6 cylinder,but I wanted the SS, just couldn't afford it.

Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:52 am
Profile YIM

Howdy Dan,

Bit of a late response but there was this eclipse thing going on in our neck of the woods. So I spend my week in OR and admired this dance of the celestial orbs in person.

Lunch for today: no clue yet. Just woke up. So it's coffee for now.

Last guitar bought is a lefty John Jorgenson Signature with clear guard nicknamed "Sparky" by the previous owner. I had been on the look-out for a JJ Sig with such drum shell transparent guard for about 8 years and was hoping to score one with maple board. But that would be double rare; there seems to be only 1 in the Registry for such a Rarebird. So a lefty it is. Guard is .124" acrylic and since it is transparent, there are no channels routed in the body between pickup routs and control cavity. Just as one finds on old style G&Ls but now in an BBE-era model.

Music: Ryan Adams all the way. I don't know under what rock I was hiding for 15 odd years but I only became aware of him a year or 2 ago. Still going through his extensive catalogue while jonesing for a '64-'67 Fender Princeton Reverb ;-)

Thanks for providing an LR and maintain a long-standing tradition.

- Jos

Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:41 am
Profile WWW

Jos- that is just drop dead cool! I really wish my WR with a clear pg also had surface loaded pups. I like this better than no pg... ~P

Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:00 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]