Lunch Report Friday June 5, 2010

Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:36 am

Lunch: I had to come into work today for a meeting. This is supposed to be my day off, but with recent budget cuts I am moving into a new job and I can't afford to miss any relevant information.
I haven't thought about lunch but today is National Doughnut day.
Supposedly, you can get free doughnuts at various shops. Try it out if you think your cholesterol can take the hit. LOL

Band stuff: I don't know if I talked about the different bands that I am in but I am becoming sort of a band gypsy. A band gypsy is a guy who plays in multiple bands. Some of these guys play in up to 8 bands simultaneously and are ususally very good on their instruments.
I think this is a reaction to the fact that there is not enough work for any single band so if you want to play enough to make some decent money, you have to play in multiple bands. I was in 4 bands but now I am in only 3. One band never got any work so I said: See ya later!

Cheap guitars and basses:
You all have some good finds and always surprise me with the stuff that you have snared at really good prices. I wanted to post some more pictures of my budget basses/guitars, but being at work, I can' t do that today.

I may supplement the LR later on and I have yet to post a nomination for next weeks Lunch Reporter, so if you want to volunteer, let me know.

Todays questions:

Do you know any band gypsies? (members of multiple bands)

What do you think of the practice?

Do you think it hurts bands to share members?

How many bands have you ever been a member of?

Do you think using a G&L helps or hurts you chances of getting picked at a band audition?

Have a great Friday and a good weekend everybody.

bassman

Re: Lunch Report Friday June 5, 2010

Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:55 am

bassman wrote:Todays questions:

Do you know any band gypsies?

Yup. Jeff Gruwell, aka JefF-100, aka Spiderfingers, plays in at least two bands, Blue Moonshine and the Red House All-stars.

Dave Marotta, bass player for Carl Verheyen Band. He also plays big corporate stuff and wedding gigs with a different band, and does studio work.

bassman wrote:What do you think of the practice?

I don't have the experience for my comment to have much weight, however, in Jeff's case, it seems to work out well. As long as one stays on top of the tunes, and shows up for practice and gigs, why not?

bassman wrote:Do you think it hurts bands to share members?

I'm sure that it tends that way in most cases.

bassman wrote:How many bands have you ever been a member of?

Two. Both for short durations, and as vocalist.

bassman wrote:Do you think using a G&L helps or hurts you chances of getting picked at a band audition?

In my case, no effect at all.

Great week. Thanks for your dutifulness.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:13 am

I can't say I support band Gypsyism, mostly as when I play in a band it is a band that does all originals. I don't play cover bands anymore (not since my teen years), I do not find reproducing other peoples music very, fulfilling. I definitely think that this has an adverse effect on the bands as you may not be devoting the proper time and commitment to any one of the bands, and eventually they will clash for time slots. I am however not interested in making money for music, I do it for fun, money would be a bonus. My day job is graduate student of Geotechnical Engineering. That should give me more than enough career to get by :D (considering most N. American civil engineers seem to dodge geotech as is).

I have played in 4 or 5 bands on the bass.
Teen cover band (the pop of the time, early 2000's)
Rush tribute band (teen years again, more fun though)
Bluegrass band (short stint, wasn't working out)
Original heavy progressive/alternative, the most recent and only 'serious' attempt in my adult life
Current band is me solo recording. My studio builds as often as I can, incoming amp and cab right now then I can do non DI guitar recording.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:08 pm

Hey Bassman -

I'm just checking in to apologize for missing your entire week. I've been in Florida dealing with my parents, who are getting old and are suffering various difficult maladies, including dementia. I'm sad and exhausted.

Sorry I couldn't contribute. I look forward to seeing you and (one of your bands) Rags later this summer. - Ed

BTW: If Rags is ever interested in maybe playing an new/original tune (I think you've done this a time or two, if my memory isn't failing me), please let me know. I might surprise you with something decent.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:05 am

bassman wrote:Do you know any band gypsies? (members of multiple bands)
Our band plays under four identities with separate names and styles (classic rock, hard rock, country and originals) ... does that make it a gypsy band?

As for band gypsys, its a growing trend among sucessful players to have side projects eg Jack White with Racontuers and The Dead Weather, Dave Grohl and Josh Homme with Them Crooked Vultures, etc etc

bassman wrote:What do you think of the practice? Do you think it hurts bands to share members?
Not a problem if its an open arrangement and is properly managed. Great way for a player to express themselves in a wider range of styles/genres.

bassman wrote:How many bands have you ever been a member of?
Over time - i've lost count, but most of them have been based around a core of myself, the bass player and the drummer who have been together since the early '70s when we were in high school

bassman wrote:Do you think using a G&L helps or hurts you chances of getting picked at a band audition?
Don't know that I'd be interested in joining a band which was influenced by what brand of guitar I played.

bassman wrote:Have a great Friday and a good weekend everybody.
Its a long weekend here in AUS so its a welcome extemded break. Have a great one yourself in the USA!

cheers, Robbie

Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:31 am

I may supplement the LR later on and I have yet to post a nomination for next weeks Lunch Reporter, so if you want to volunteer, let me know.

Yeah, sure, me. Why not?

Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:19 am

Thanks for all of the replies and thanks Brock for volunteering for next weeks LR duties.

I'll make the nomination official.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:01 pm

bassman wrote:Todays questions:

Do you know any band gypsies? (members of multiple bands)

Our bass player is in a couple of bands. One of them is with some people he has playing with since his college days. They all have day jobs and have yet to make any substantial money from their playing. They take just about all the gig money, which isn't much, and pour it into a CD they are making. I think it's one of those "bucket list" things. You know, make a professional recording before they die.

What do you think of the practice?

Band practice? We don't do it enough, but everyone is so busy. One band I was in a while ago used to just jam for about the first hour of practice. That was a lot of fun and we often worked out some pretty cool guitar parts in those jams that we used during our shows.

Do you think it hurts bands to share members?

Sometimes. Especially when the bands are doing different arrangements of the same song.

How many bands have you ever been a member of?

Lots over the years but only one band at a time.

Do you think using a G&L helps or hurts you chances of getting picked at a band audition?

I don't think it helps or hurts. It's not the gear, its how you play it and how you sound. If that works for the band, great. If not, well, you'll most likely have to keep looking.
bassman

RickT