Lunch Report, Tuesday June 1, 2010

Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:17 am

Lunch Today: I didn't bring anything from home, so I 'll be running out to Potbelly Sandwich works and get a small turkey sub with some raspberry iced tea. I am going to try to eat better as my new half- yearly resolution. LOL

New to me gear: Here are some pictures of my new to me Tribby L2k.
I really dig the neck on this bass. It's just a different feel and it is a maple fingerboard which I have wanted for a long time.

One cool thing about this bass is that the previous owner changed out the tuners for Hipshots. It has a few extra holes in the headstock as a result.
I do have the original tuners but I'll use it as is for at least the first couple of gigs.

Question:
For those of you who play out:
When you get a "new to you guitar or bass," Do you gig with it right away or do you tweak it and wait until you are more familiar with it before using it in a performance?

Mid week gigs:
I had a band job last Thursday, a retirement party, and I have one at lunch time on Wednesday, tomorrow, where my band RAGs is playing in front of the movie Theater in downtown Rockville, 12 to 1:30.
This is the kick-off concert of a series the city sponsors called "Out to Lunch Wednesdays" that they have every Summer -June through September.
http://www.rockvillemd.gov/events/otl.htm
The last time we did this gig was last September 29.

I will post more about this tomorrow after the gig.
Since I am playing at Lunchtime, be warned that tomorrow's report will be either real early or real late.

Thanks for reading.

Re: Lunch Report, Tuesday June 1, 2010

Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:08 am

Potbelly: I like the food but don't like the service. Cant just one or two people handle my order? Do I have to go along this "conveyor belt" and tell each person what I want? If it is your first time, they get angry with you if you don't know the drill... I'll never eat there again.

I generally use guitars at gigs that won't get me robbed in the parking lot afterwords. However, they are actually great instruments; just beat-up looking. The only exceptions are large performances. Best of luck on your next gig.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:08 am

Cool bass! I recently purchased an SB-2 - my first G&L bass - and I'm really digging it.

It's good to see you doing the LR duties this week, Bassman! Since work has picked up in recent weeks, I'm not able to get on here much anymore these days, but I'll try to look in from time to time this week if I'm able to do so.

Question:
For those of you who play out:
When you get a "new to you guitar or bass," Do you gig with it right away or do you tweak it and wait until you are more familiar with it before using it in a performance?

When I purchase a "new to me" guitar - usually used - I'll play it out on a gig at my first opportunity just to see how much "mojo" it has before I decide to do any tweaking. I typically find that I'm unable to fully realize what a guitar will really do until I play it in a live setting. If it has what it takes, I'll tend to leave it stock. If not, I may try to tweak it more to my liking, but after that if it doesn't have the kind of "mojo" I'm looking for, I'll usually sell it for another one.

Have a great week!

Jim

Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:27 pm

I have a gig at a small bar next Thurs and may be getting my Comanche back from the shop on the same day (just getting it set up by someone besides an unskilled, impatient person like myself) As tempting as it may be to play with it that night, I have been playing my 25th Anniversary every day and can't abandon it before my first gig in months!

hey Jim P-Glad to hear work has picked up!