Lunch Report Monday, May 31, 2010

Mon May 31, 2010 10:39 am

Happy Memorial Day!

Fly the flag and thank a vet or service member if you cross paths with one today.

Today’s Lunch:

I had a ham sandwich and water. I’m at home and doing chores today.

G&L stuff:

I just bought a used G&L Tribute L-2000. It’s a very nice bass with a great gig bag. I‘ll use it this week on Wednesday’s Lunch time gig in downtown Rockville.

Have you tried out a Tribute G&L yet?

Would you buy one or never consider it?

More Bass Talk

That’s what the other guys in my band RAGs call it when I really get going, Bass Talk. They joke that I should have a radio show devoted to all things bass after hearing some of my discussions with other bass players who attend our gigs.

Multi-string basses:

What‘s your take on basses with 6 or more strings?
Do they help a bass player do their job or hurt the cause?

I’ve got more stuff to do so I’ll see you tomorrow.

bassman

Re: Lunch Report Monday, May 31, 2010

Mon May 31, 2010 11:01 am

A thanks to all the Veterans out there, and those no longer.

Try yes, buy, probably not. Why? because I do not like buying instruments I will need to modify/etc. So if the materials are lower par, fretwork is bad, the fretwork is bad, or the fretwork is bad, I will not buy it. I demand impeccable fretwork on my instruments, preferably in Stainless for lifelong no work frets.

Multi-string basses:

I have a 5, I could see myself branching to a 6th, but likely never will. This is do to my love of the 3/4 spacing, most basses more strings = less spacing. My Carvin LB75 (one of the sexiest basses on earth , Image) has the 3/4 (wide) spacing. Makes thumb styles and my muting style easier. I hover my thumb between B E and A , depending on which strings I am playing (if D or G on A, A on E and E on B, prevents any rumblers from ringing over other stuff)

Instead of getting a 6th string I've thought of getting a second 5, stringing int E A D G C , as when are you ever using low B and high C, most of High C is redundant anyway. I got the 5 as a guitarist liked to drop his low D, handy for that they are. We don't really need all those extra strings though, look at bassists like Stu Hamm who plays mostly 4s. I think a lot of people just think more strings = better = more options therefore more creativity. Instead of being creative within bounds they believe only by removing bounds can creativity occur. I think this is a backwards idea as you are not really being all that creative when your solution to a problem is just to add more range.

That said in a band setting (and trying to work it back into my composing) I like playing in 3 pieces. I like these as I am very quick and capable on the fills. A 6th string might help as position change would be less necessary on occasion. That said I am very quick between positions anyway so never really 'needed' one. Getting a 5 was an eye opener to validity of styles and whatnot for me though, who knows what would happen. I think it is good people are taking to play bass more as a melodious instrument than strictly a rhythm factory. My opinions are conflicting I guess, but I lean towards experimental music. I put together a song for fun once that the entire rhythm is bass (1 layer) and 1 layer leads(guitar) over it. The bass is mostly chords and other such non standard playing but I stand by it being one of my best (albeit least accessible).

Overall however, I do not 'get' the 8 string guitars, 6+ string basses etc. Why do you need that many octaves anyway, most of it can be transposed regardless. I think there is more magic in how a band performs together than how 1 guy can do everything on one instrument. In some ways the guy alone has it a lot easier, and there is less energy. There is no mixing of styles and opinion which can create its own staleness. My last band was an heavy alternative band. I am an experimental and progressive player, when you put us together you got some very interesting voicings and riffs. It was a great time.

Mon May 31, 2010 11:10 am

My sincere thanks to all the veterans. As a western European, I owe a lot to those who fought in WW II and especially those who made the ultimate sacrifice. It's just that I wish there wouldn't have to be veterans ... Oh, all the human (predominantly masculine) folly ...

bassman wrote:Have you tried out a Tribute G&L yet?

I have never tried a Tribute even though there have been many raving reviews on this board. And I never considered buying one mainly because I can afford American made and just tend to go with that. But that doesn't mean I think there is no place for these foreign made guitars, where I think especially of the G&L Tribby's and PRS SE models. Once upon a time, a long time ago, in a land far away (NL), I was a cash strapped, equipment ogling youngster too. And if these models would have been available when I was 14, it likely would have prevented me from getting that horrible Hondo LP rip-off , and I would have been a better player ;)

But then again, maybe not that last part ...

Mon May 31, 2010 11:18 am

Today IS a very important day. There are and have been enough people who served to affect everyone.

Basses over 4 strings are just trying to push-out the rhythm guitarist. I'm kidding, but I think it is more about drawing attention than access to sounds. If you want to go that high, then buy a guitar and tune it down to a "D". The bass is part of the rhythm section and let's keep it that way. Thanks Primus and Level 42!

Mon May 31, 2010 5:09 pm

bassman wrote:I‘ll use it this week on Wednesday’s Lunch time gig in downtown Rockville.

Tell us more.

Yes.

Would you buy one?

Yes.

6, totally unhip.
8-) 8 or 12, cool.

See above.

Mon May 31, 2010 6:06 pm

Had a great memorial day weekend. Not so true for many serving. Have an Asat Special Tribute and except for the tuners it is a real decent guitar. Workmanship and neck are great. Fretwork is perfect. Would I Buy a Tribute Bass? Probably not as I have Four American basses already. I have been watching a Parker Southern guit and I will probably end up with it as we are within $100. I am also a stainless steel fret guy and I need to add a Parker.

I have both 4 and 5 string basses. I tend to use the 5 strings most of the time. I do not plan on going to 6 or higher as for my style of music there would be no advantage. I like bass low and tend to use open strings as much as possible and end up using the whole neck. Many bass players use the middle of the neck and stay there. I am a thumb and first and second finger picker which is not common but I use fingers/thumb to mute and it works for me. A gal in our band had been watching me pick and asked me how I figured it out. I have no clue. It just happens. 8-) Maybe that is the way a guitar picker plays bass. Have a great week Bassman.

Mon May 31, 2010 9:36 pm

bassman wrote:Have you tried out a Tribute G&L yet?

No, I can't say that I have.

bassman wrote:Would you buy one or never consider it?

If I needed a particular configuration, and was low on funds at the time, I'd certainly consider it. They sound like they are nice instruments.

bassman wrote:What‘s your take on basses with 6 or more strings?

There's a bass player who played a few gigs with my buddy. The bass player had a 6 string bass. As a member of the audience, I enjoyed the guy's playing. However, my guitar-playing buddy, who is the main dude, told me that the guy was going off and riffing when he really just wanted him holding down the low end. So, I guess I'm giving a second hand opinion, but it's more learned than mine would be.

Mon May 31, 2010 11:31 pm

They're all tools. 4,5,6,7,8,12, whatever.

I'm a fan of the 4 string and the 8 string (octave pairs) myself. I'd be more fond of the 5s if they all had the longer scale on the B like the Dingwall basses have.

-Brock

Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:57 am

Thanks for all of the replies.
I am back at work today and I will try to get a report out but it may be late.
I have some training that may keep me away from the old G&LDP around East coast lunch time.

Se ya later.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:15 am

MrRoundel wrote:
bassman wrote:What‘s your take on basses with 6 or more strings?

There's a bass player who played a few gigs with my buddy. The bass player had a 6 string bass. As a member of the audience, I enjoyed the guy's playing. However, my guitar-playing buddy, who is the main dude, told me that the guy was going off and riffing when he really just wanted him holding down the low end. So, I guess I'm giving a second hand opinion, but it's more learned than mine would be.

That is the problem with some guitarists, they do not want a good bass player as it takes away from them in their mind :P

Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:51 am

bassman wrote:G&L stuff:

I just bought a used G&L Tribute L-2000. It’s a very nice bass with a great gig bag. I‘ll use it this week on Wednesday’s Lunch time gig in downtown Rockville.

Have you tried out a Tribute G&L yet? Would you buy one or never consider it?

I try them on occasion and have found the current basses to be good stuff. I'd probably buy one, or at least seriously consider one, if the need arose.

More Bass Talk

That’s what the other guys in my band RAGs call it when I really get going, Bass Talk. They joke that I should have a radio show devoted to all things bass after hearing some of my discussions with other bass players who attend our gigs.

They say that like it's a problem....

Multi-string basses:

Certainly not for me, but there are solo players that make great use of them. So too can the players who do a lot or chording on bass, as the C string sounds like a string rather than a mudball when used in a chord.

replyman wrote:Basses over 4 strings are just trying to push-out the rhythm guitarist. I'm kidding, but I think it is more about drawing attention than access to sounds. If you want to go that high, then buy a guitar and tune it down to a "D". The bass is part of the rhythm section and let's keep it that way. Thanks Primus and Level 42!

And all we should ever play is 1-4-5, on one and occasionally three. Right? :lol:

sirmyghin wrote:That is the problem with some guitarists, they do not want a good bass player as it takes away from them in their mind :P

ROTFLMAO!!!

Ken...

Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:08 pm

Ken Baker wrote:
Multi-string basses:

Certainly not for me, but there are solo players that make great use of them. So too can the players who do a lot or chording on bass, as the C string sounds like a string rather than a mudball when used in a chord.

This is a good point, hence my want for a 5 string with a C not a B. Choosing your chord layout on a bass is very precarious, I have generally kept the lowest notes about D (in 5th position). You can find some good ones though, and sometimes throwing in a low E at the bottom of the right chords can add some serious UUUMPH. I find chords to be much pickier on bass than guitar.