Lunch Report, 5/28/10

Fri May 28, 2010 10:32 am

Today, Beef Sausage w/Shells and Cheddar. Leftovers again!

I thought I'd end with a small giveaway for y'all. These 3 questions are in the old Craig Kilborn 5 questions style, which means answers are subjective, at best. Points for cleverness and wit.

1) Better songs. Chapman or Schenker?

2) What was the best year for heavy metal?

3) Why do you care?

I'll select a winner by Sunday night/Monday morning, winner gets a Rocketeria care package. Thanks for having me!

I nominate Bassman for next week's Lunch Reporter.

Cheers!

Re: Lunch Report, 5/28/10

Fri May 28, 2010 12:36 pm

which Chapman and which Schenker? Assuming you are going for UFO and not really familiar with them therefore must refrain from commenting. The bassist from Michael Schenker group was playing with Mountain (when they were opening for Satriani) and that was excellent however.

Best year for Heavy Metal. Hmmm I like so many metal bands it is disgusting. I would say was 83. We had Piece of Mind by Maiden , Holy Diver by Dio. Can't really think of any other years that excellent though. Any year an Ayreon album is released is an excellent year for metal however. That or Bruce returning to Iron Maiden, that to me was a huge deal as Blaze was garbage, so maybe 1999.

Not sure I do care, I just like metal a lot, listen to pretty much anything however. A lot of the european power metal I really enjoy. An interesting synthier band is 'Power Quest' lighter than a lot of the stuff out there but really good tunes, gates of tomorrow especially.

Fri May 28, 2010 4:02 pm

Hmm tough choice. That's really comparing apples to oranges.
Traci Chapman had that "Fast Car" hit. Nice enough, I suppose just not my cup-o-tea.
I guess my fav of Ravi Shankar would have to be "Raga Manj Khama"
But I can only take that sitar stuff in small doses. Oh wait...Schenker not Shankar.... never mind.....

Have to go with 1970. Sabbath and their Paranoid record.

3) Why do you care?
I can't help but caring. I'm just a caring kind of guy. Sometimes I just care too much. I know, I know. It can be a problem sometimes.

Fri May 28, 2010 5:39 pm

Schenker.
(50% chance)

2). Best metal year:
I'll go with 1986:
Metallica - Master Of Puppets
Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time
Megadeth - Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?

I'm personally more fond of 1989 since it gave us King's X - Gretchen Goes To Nebraska.

3) Why do I care?
Well, not to care is easier, but to care is more significant.

You don't have to care about everything, but you need to care about something.

Sat May 29, 2010 6:50 am

I'd say that 1984 was the best year for metal.

Def Leppard was still riding high on Pyromania...still my favorite Leppard album
It was the debut year for both Ratt and Motley Crue
Scorpions came out with Love at First Sting
Van Halen 1984 (arguably not their best, but I liked it)
Dokken had Tooth and Nail
Hagar's Voice of America
Billy Idol with Rebel Yell
Whitesnake wasn't quite at it's glory moment, but getting there.
And while it wasn't Judas Priest's best album, I always like Some Heads Are Gonna Roll
Other notables were Twisted Sister, Y&T, Bon Jovi and Stryper.

Rush was a bit of a disappointment at the time with Grace Under Pressure, but to be honest I love that album today.

And I find it interesting that a number of these bands never managed to top their 1984 releases...at least IMO. I'd put Ratt, Bon Jovi and Twisted Sister in that group.

Mon May 31, 2010 5:02 pm

OK, here are the answers!

Chapman. We'll accept Mogg/Way references.

3) Why do you care?

What kind of idiot question is that?

Scores:

Sirmyghin
1) 0
2) 1
3) 0

repoman:
1) 0
2) 1
3) 1

Brock:
1) 0
2) 0
3) 1

Muleya:
1) 0
2) 0
3) 0

Our winner is, repoman! Please e-mail dave a t rocketeria d o t biz with yer address, shirt size and prefered string gauge.

Thanks for the fun this week y'all!