`` WEDNESDAY LUNCH REPORT ``

Wed May 12, 2010 11:05 am

Greetings - Welcome to the Wednesday edition of the Lunch Report...

Thanks again to those who participated yesterday.

Bassman wins the David Gilmour DVD by default for the lone SC-1 suggestion.

Aussie nailed the Trivia Question and nicely posted the tune for ya'll to hear.

Cheese cake - where are you Honey? - I can't see you....LOL

Prince references the King in his song Gett Off.

Ok, got a lot to cover today so let's get started...

Take a look at the guitar that Ed's playing...

[youtube]5cdLSYjKpzA[/youtube]

That's a Schecter PT model...Back in '92 said guitar was listed in the Seatlle Times/PI classifieds for $350. I spotted it and called the seller and chatted him up. We hit it off and talked gear for awhile. I told him I was interested but to go ahead and sell it if he got a taker. He called me back a couple days later and told me Mr. Vedder purchased the guitar. He said that Eddie asked him if he could bring the guitar down to the Moore Theatre the next night - he said sure thing... so he got to meet the band as well as nab free concert tix & backstage passes. That was the infamous Show where the vids for Alive and Even Flow were filmed. Fellow GbL'r Spot was there... I wasn't but I saw them at the Drop in the Park show later that year - Spot was there too but we hadnt met yet.
Fab Show! Eddie threw his mic cord up to the scaffolding, climbed up it and hung like a monkey dangling dangerously some 30 ft above the stage all while his bandmates played on then slid back down the mic cord to the stage - unreal.

I didnt make many shows back in the 90's Seattle heyday... that was bout it. A girlfriend and I were at the Kurt Cobain Vigil held @ the Seattle Center shortly after Kurt's death. I say death as I firmly believe he was off'ed rather than taking his own life.
Lot's of folks think I'm daff for thinking so but its a gut feeling plus there's some interesting/compelling evidence...

A few things - no fingerprints on the shotgun and Kurt had so much heroin in his body that its unlikely he could've pulled the trigger.
2 very different types of handwriting on the 'suicide note'... the most compelling iMO was Mentors' singer, EL Duce - he said on camera for the documentary Kurt & Courtney that Courtney offered him 50 grand to off Kurt... days after being interviewed he was found dead on railroad tracks in the desert - apparently he was struck by a freight train while intoxicated. Some say it was an accident - others suicide... Not sure, but quite interesting timing -eh?
Then there's Kristen Pfaff, Hole's original bass player also found dead from an heroin overdose...

Anyway - I digress...

Getting back to matters at hand... Here are a few pics of Veronica, my '90 ASAT Classic SIg that was owned by Bill Carson. Leo & he were longtime friends and Mr. Fender gave him this guitar. There's a signed letter by Bil's wife, Susan to the person they sold it to.
I bought it off Ebay and paid a pretty penny for it. Much to my dismay, I discovered the neck pu route had been altered... not sure if Bill did the mod or not but interestingly, the pu cavity and surrounding area have been resprayed with black lacquer and the neck pu is fitted bang on - so who ever did it was no slouch...
I decided to keep it as I'm quite fond of how it sounds & plays but she's seen more time in her case then plugged in as of late so I'm considering selling her.
As i mentioned, I have 6 G&Ls but I want to pare that down to bout half that or even 2.... I've had only 1 a few times so I know its possible :)

One more story - a musician friend of mine and fellow Midway Swap Meet Junkie who was from Ohio told me he owed the famous Devo guitar prior to one of the Mothersbaugh bros buying it. He said he sold it to a local Akron Music store and later learned that 'a guy from that weird new band Devo' bought it.
The next time Denny saw it twas on MTV!

Here it is in action -
[youtube]jadvt7CbH1o[/youtube]

and the all time favorite of theirs -
[youtube]Xbt30UnzRWw[/youtube]

Btw, take a look at what Bob M went on to play - nice choice of guitar -eh?

So I want to know if you've owned Celebrity owned guitars or sold any to Celebrities... post pics if you have em!

Next up...
Had an interesting convo w/ Spot last week over dinner. We were discussing the current stale & lame state of 'popular' music and how hardly anything is new or original. Think bout it - since the 50's each decade has had a least 1 if not 2 music styles emerge - some good, some horrid depending on your perspective but new & fresh nonetheless.
From a Creative standpoint, it seems things been in a stagnant holding patter since the mid 90's...

Spot and I couldnt come up with anything remarkable for the last decade other than bands reforming or tribute bands... and young ones just rehashing & mixing old styles -mostly poorly. Even the Movie Industry seems devoid of anything original these days - not totally but there's appears to be more remakes of Classic movies than anything bold and new. Proly why I'm a fan of Indie bands & films...

So what dya'll think? is it over? Has it all been said & done? Wiil this 40+ period of Rock/Pop be equated to the likes/period of 'Classical music'?
Hell, they're already calling much of it Classic Rock and each day that genre grows...

Please state your opinions and why you think so -- and... What you think the future holds.

Most interesting pov wins a CD - SRV's Blues at Sunrise.

Speaking of interesting - here's a friend of mine's band KLED. I Love these guys - they describe themselves as a mix of disco & metal but they run the gamut as far as what musical styles make it into their songs. They're quite eclectic which i Love and are a Kick to see live.... very accomplished musicians to boot.
They're playing at the end of this month here in West Seattle and I'm looking forward to seeing them again.

[youtube]XIYWGNVxsAs[/youtube]

You can check out more bout them @ http://www.myspace.com/kledseattle

Trivia Time

I'm a female bass player of a popular but not very successful band that formed in the mid-80's. I have dark hair sing and play bass. Our band was active from '86 to bout '93 when we broke up. We have since reformed at least once.
Who am I and what's the name of the band I play in?

Music Vids

This one goes out to my Sweetie, Jackie as its one her Favs...

[youtube]HqpRwUmw_vg[/youtube]

And seeing how its HUMP day thought this all too fitting...

Enjoy -

[youtube]mhN93rFZuJs[/youtube]

As I mentioned they hail from NZ - they do a great send up of David Bowie that's worth checking out even if you're not a fan.

Wow - that was a lot...

Hope y'all have a great Wed!

Cheers,

JBo
Last edited by Katefan on Wed May 12, 2010 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: `` WEDNESDAY LUNCH REPORT ``

Wed May 12, 2010 12:28 pm

JBo wrote:Btw, take a look at what Bob M went on to play - nice choice of guitar -eh?

I love this studio video. Look at the SC party on the wall.
[youtube]tcMf2in70Uw[/youtube]

Wed May 12, 2010 12:40 pm

I think the 2000’s have been about rehashing a lot of things in all forms of entertainment. One of the better examples that comes to mind is the re-vamping of classic horror movies. Nightmare On Elm Street was just released but it’s a total mind-bender when you actually take the time to list how many remakes have been done. Here’s what I come up with off the top of my head:

King Kong (twice), Godzilla (twice), Amityville Horror, Halloween, Halloween II, Prom Night, When A Stranger Calls, Wicker Man, The Crazies, Nightmare On Elm Street, Night Of The Living Dead, Dawn Of The Dead, House On Haunted Hill, The Hills Have Eyes, Psycho, House Of Wax, Cat People, The Fog, 13 Ghosts, The Thing, The Hitcher, The Omen, The Haunting, The Eye, Planet Of The Apes, 2001 Maniacs, Village Of The Damned, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, Mary Riley (Jeckel & Hyde), The Wolfman, Mary Shelly’s Frankenstein, Brom Stoker’s Dracula, House Of Usher, The Fly, Island Of Dr. Moreau, Willard, Last House On The Left, My Bloody Valentine, Black Christmas, Friday The 13th, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Rosemary’s Baby, The Ghoulies, The Orphanage, The Stepfather, Children Of The Corn, It’s Alive - HORROR MOVIE REMAKES CURRENTLY IN THE WORKS: Near Dark, Salem’s Lot, Terror Train, The Fury, It, Little Shop Of Horrors, Piranha, Angel Heart, Re-animator, The Howling, Hellraiser, They Live, People Under The Stairs, Shocker, The Thing (a third time!) Predator, Child’s Play, Motel Hell, Silent Night Deadly Night, Pet Cemetery, Mother’s Day, The Birds, The Funhouse, Total Recall, Plan 9 From Outer Space, The Eyes Of Laura Mars, Scanners, Army Of Darkness, Poltergeist and The Creature From The Black Lagoon.

You don’t have to be a horror movie fan to see what’s going on here. Not a lot of new material these days and I’ve noticed the same thing when I’m out clubbing – no real stand-out bands doing anything original. That is one of the reasons that tribute bands are thriving.

I’m guessing Anne Rice's favorite band for your mystery bass player. :)

Remember the local cable access show with Richard Lee called Kurt Cobain Was Murdered?

Wed May 12, 2010 1:15 pm

JBo wrote:I didnt make many shows back in the 90's Seattle heyday... that was bout it. A girlfriend and I were at the Cobain Vigil held @ the Seattle Center shortly after Kurt's death. I say death as I firmly believe he was off'ed rather than taking his own life.
Lot's of folks think I'm daff for believing so but I have a gut feeling and there's some interesting/compelling evidence...

A few things - no fingerprints on the rifle... Kurt had so much heroin in his body that its unlikely he could of pulled the trigger...
2 types very different types of handwriting on the 'suicide note'... the most compelling iMO was Mentors' singer, EL Duce - he said on camera for the documentary Kurt & Courtney that Courtney offered him 50 grand to off Kurt... days after being interviewed he was found dead on railroad tracks in the desert - apparently he was struck by a freight train while intoxicated. Some say it was an accident - others suicide... Not sure, but interesting timing -eh?
Then there's Kristen Pfaff, Hole's original bass player also found dead from an heroin overdose...

Hey, JBo, Kurt's own words are the most compelling case for suicide. In Utero is veritably a suicide note set to music. He was obsessed with this stuff. Then there's the well-documented failed attempt in Rome. Elliott Smith, another famous melancholic, stabbed himself to death right up the street from me. Rumors abounded about foul play in that case as well. Elvis Presley... Jimi Hendrix... Eddie Wilson...

Wed May 12, 2010 1:36 pm

JBo wrote:Next up... Had an interesting convo w/ Spot last week over dinner. We were discussing the current stale & lame state of 'popular' music and how hardly anything is new or original. Think bout it - since the 50's each decade has had a least 1 if not 2 music styles emerge - some good, some horrid depending on your perspective but new & fresh nonetheless.
From a Creative standpoint, it seems things been in a stagnant holding patter since the mid 90's...

Spot and I couldnt come up with anything remarkable for the last decade other than bands reforming or tribute bands... and young ones just rehashing & mixing old styles mostly poorly. Even the Movie Industry seems devoid of anything original - not totally but there's appears to be more remakes of Classic movies than anything bold and new. Proly why I'm a fan of Indie bands & films...

So, what dya'll think?- is it over? Has it all been done & said? Wiil this 40+ period of Rock/Pop be equated to the period of 'Classical music'? Hell, they're already calling much of it Classic Rock and each day that genre grows...

Please state your opinions and why you think so -- and... what do you think is next?

Most interesting pov wins a CD of SRV's Blues at Sunrise.

With all due respect, I believe this probably correlates to your age more than anything actually happening in the music world at large. I love the '90s for music, but generally the '90s are thought of as a pretty weak decade for popular music. For every Nirvana there was a Bush, for every Liz Phair or PJ Harvey there was a Britney or a Spice Girl.

The oughts have been pretty great actually for music, particularly indie stuff. The Strokes and The White Stripes are the two biggies that jump out for having transcended. I love Ted Leo, TV on the Radio, The National, Titus Andronicus, The Arcade Fire, The Decemberists, Sufjan Stevens --- Radiohead and Wilco did some of their best work in the last decade. So did Bob Dylan and Tom Waits. None of these artists are at all obscure --- they're just not played very often on the radio. But that's okay, we've got the Intertubes now!

Co-opting and rehashing is the story of rock and roll in a nutshell --- going all the way back to almost the beginning. The Beatles were pretenders. Bob Dylan was a pretender. Jimi Hendrix was a pretender. The Rolling Stones, plagiarists.

But I do sympathize --- I just heard "Borderline" on KRTH (our oldies station).

JBo wrote:Trivia Time

I'm a female bass player of a popular but not very successful band that formed in the mid-80's. I have dark, sing and play bass. Our band was active from '86 to bout '93 when we broke up. We have since reformed at least once.
Who am I and what's the band I play in.

I'll take a stab at this, though I don't think it's right. Michael Steele from The Bangles?

Excellent work on the lunch report. I really enjoyed your guitar pics from yesterday!

- El Fug

Wed May 12, 2010 2:59 pm

So what dya'll think? is it over? Has it all been said & done? Wiil this 40+ period of Rock/Pop be equated to the likes/period of 'Classical music'?
Hell, they're already calling much of it Classic Rock and each day that genre grows...

Although there are days when I tend to feel the same as you I think it's more a combination of getting (cough) advanced in age and the sorry state of radio. There's still good stuff out there, it's just harder to find. Most of what's popular on the radio has little interest to me. Someone else mentioned Radiohead and Wilco and I'll agree that they are putting out some quality stuff. But it sure doesn't get much radio airtime. There are a few bands out there that I imagine would be huge if they came out in the 70's when radio was friendlier.

No idea on the trivia question.

Jeff

Wed May 12, 2010 3:30 pm

Agree completely with you on the state of pop music, but although being younger (23ish) As opposed to appreciating grunge (as you seem to) I look at it as half the problem. The onset of that style of music took away from technical musicianship which continued to grow, and made it okay to be mediocre. This further progressed to the heavily manufactured music on the 90's which could be played by people on their guitar the second day they bought it (opposed to grunge which took about a week to build up to :P). With the decrease in use of talent naturally comes stagnation because ideas are used repetitively. It is sort of a romantic era but the revelation was to suck. There was a rise to Virtuosity shortly before the romantic era too, but that did not tone down as much.

The big thing could be like early rock however. Rock was a mixing of rhythm and blues (mainly black community), country (southern white community), and that eras pop (urban music). A mixing of cultures, which was only possible at the time in America due to the demographic. Southern American music is much more rhythmically complex due to the higher influence of African roots on the music (slaves were generally less concerned over/oppressed outside of work hours). With the growing global music community it may be possible for people to be influenced by the still kicking technical elements, along with the simpler music which may create another synthesis, what is now 'pop' with something else. Which could be so shocking to ears yet pleasing it could cause another "golden" age.

My personal preferences are to Progressive and Metal music (power/heavy, no doom,drone,black,or death metal). I feel that talent is required for music to be good, as you need to bring something new to that table. This does not mean shredding your face off, showboating is not necessary, it should remain musical, and if not technically complicated at least intricate and unique. That sort of leads to the experimental styles I try to create, more as atmospheres and melding of pieces that following the 'rules' of popular music. That said I also listen to a lot of 70's rock and folk from all over the board. Bluegrass and country too. The only thing I cannot get into is the resurgence of punk that was grunge, the music there on along with pop, and rap. But even rap occasionally has something interesting to offer, wish I could find that violin oriented hip hop group I heard once, it was interesting.

Wed May 12, 2010 3:47 pm

sirmyghin wrote:Agree completely with you on the state of pop music, but although being younger (23ish) As opposed to appreciating grunge (as you seem to) I look at it as half the problem. The onset of that style of music took away from technical musicianship which continued to grow, and made it okay to be mediocre. This further progressed to the heavily manufactured music on the 90's which could be played by people on their guitar the second day they bought it (opposed to grunge which took about a week to build up to :P). With the decrease in use of talent naturally comes stagnation because ideas are used repetitively. It is sort of a romantic era but the revelation was to suck. There was a rise to Virtuosity shortly before the romantic era too, but that did not tone down as much.

The big thing could be like early rock however. Rock was a mixing of rhythm and blues (mainly black community), country (southern white community), and that eras pop (urban music). A mixing of cultures, which was only possible at the time in America due to the demographic. Southern American music is much more rhythmically complex due to the higher influence of African roots on the music (slaves were generally less concerned over/oppressed outside of work hours). With the growing global music community it may be possible for people to be influenced by the still kicking technical elements, along with the simpler music which may create another synthesis, what is now 'pop' with something else. Which could be so shocking to ears yet pleasing it could cause another "golden" age.

My personal preferences are to Progressive and Metal music (power/heavy, no doom,drone,black,or death metal). I feel that talent is required for music to be good, as you need to bring something new to that table. This does not mean shredding your face off, showboating is not necessary, it should remain musical, and if not technically complicated at least intricate and unique. That sort of leads to the experimental styles I try to create, more as atmospheres and melding of pieces that following the 'rules' of popular music. That said I also listen to a lot of 70's rock and folk from all over the board. Bluegrass and country too. The only thing I cannot get into is the resurgence of punk that was grunge, the music there on along with pop, and rap. But even rap occasionally has something interesting to offer, wish I could find that violin oriented hip hop group I heard once, it was interesting.

While I disagree with roughly 90% of the above, I'd be open to being convinced to disagree with the remaining 10%. Ach, just kidding. Sort of. The problem with these types of arguments is no one ever agrees on the definitions of the words: talent, good, music, and so on. "Grunge" is another dubious term to say the least. What is grunge? Alice in Chains? Pearl Jam? Nirvana? Sound Garden? These bands reside in very different geographies sonically. Nirvana was a potent antidote to Guns N Roses and Poison. Pearl Jam is a '70s band. Alice in Chains, well, I hated them at the time, but I gotta say their stuff stands up better than a lot of stuff. Chris Cornell is a twit. There's good music everywhere except on the radio most times. The TV ad folks have a much better ear than radio programmers.

Wed May 12, 2010 10:17 pm

Spot wrote:I think the 2000’s have been about rehashing a lot of things in all forms of entertainment. One of the better examples that comes to mind is the re-vamping of classic horror movies. Nightmare On Elm Street was just released but it’s a total mind-bender when you actually take the time to list how many remakes have been done. Here’s what I come up with off the top of my head:

King Kong (twice), Godzilla (twice), Amityville Horror, Halloween, Halloween II, Prom Night, When A Stranger Calls, Wicker Man, The Crazies, Nightmare On Elm Street, Night Of The Living Dead, Dawn Of The Dead, House On Haunted Hill, The Hills Have Eyes, Psycho, House Of Wax, Cat People, The Fog, 13 Ghosts, The Thing, The Hitcher, The Omen, The Haunting, The Eye, Planet Of The Apes, 2001 Maniacs, Village Of The Damned, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, Mary Riley (Jeckel & Hyde), The Wolfman, Mary Shelly’s Frankenstein, Brom Stoker’s Dracula, House Of Usher, The Fly, Island Of Dr. Moreau, Willard, Last House On The Left, My Bloody Valentine, Black Christmas, Friday The 13th, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Rosemary’s Baby, The Ghoulies, The Orphanage, The Stepfather, Children Of The Corn, It’s Alive - HORROR MOVIE REMAKES CURRENTLY IN THE WORKS: Near Dark, Salem’s Lot, Terror Train, The Fury, It, Little Shop Of Horrors, Piranha, Angel Heart, Re-animator, The Howling, Hellraiser, They Live, People Under The Stairs, Shocker, The Thing (a third time!) Predator, Child’s Play, Motel Hell, Silent Night Deadly Night, Pet Cemetery, Mother’s Day, The Birds, The Funhouse, Total Recall, Plan 9 From Outer Space, The Eyes Of Laura Mars, Scanners, Army Of Darkness, Poltergeist and The Creature From The Black Lagoon.

You don’t have to be a horror movie fan to see what’s going on here. Not a lot of new material these days and I’ve noticed the same thing when I’m out clubbing – no real stand-out bands doing anything original. That is one of the reasons that tribute bands are thriving.

I’m guessing Anne Rice's favorite band for your mystery bass player. :)

Remember the local cable access show with Richard Lee called Kurt Cobain Was Murdered?

Man - that's just off the top of yo head -Crikey Dick! Nicely done tho...

Jackie mentioned one remake in the non horror genre - the Karate Kid... nix that - that is scary!

Word.

Nice guess but nope.

OMG - Yes, RICHARD LEE - spent many a stoned hour watching his show on Public Access with his creepy overgrown mustache...

Cheers

Wed May 12, 2010 10:21 pm

Brock wrote:
JBo wrote:Btw, take a look at what Bob M went on to play - nice choice of guitar -eh?

I love this studio video. Look at the SC party on the wall.
[youtube]tcMf2in70Uw[/youtube]

Sweet As! Man those look Fab... Thanks for posting this!

Cheers

Thu May 13, 2010 8:45 am

Holy Crap- you guys are too good to me. I am winning stuff left and right!
Your questions are very good and cover a lot today so I want to do them justice.
I am a bit overwhelmed at work since a recent restructuring of jobs has made me a web administrator without training or tools, so I am up for any suggestions.

DEVO was a band I hated and loved. I hated their look because at the time they came out I wasn't ready fot that much of a put on, but in retrospect I love the spirit and creativity behind fronting such a different rock act.
I think Bob Mothersbaugh was mis-understood and under appreciated during DEVO's era.
He certainly had good taste in guitars. The SC-1s and SC-2s are some of the best sounding G&Ls IMHO. I love my early SB-2 because it just has great tone and plaiin jane looks.

Celebrity instruments:
I had a chance to buy an early PRS bass around 1983 or so. At that time I managed a music store and someone brought in a bass that was offered to Gary Talent of the E-street band. It was a solid mahogany bass with a single P pickupand and early version of the PRS bass shape although it did have a carved top. I turned it down because I didn't have the money at the time and it really wasn't what I liked.
I also ran acraoss a medium scale Alembic bass that belonged to Jack Cassidy of Jefferson Airplane/Starship at one time. I didn't buy that one either.

The 2000s music legacy:

I think it will take some time and distance to discern what the real influences are
from this decade. This decade featured the debut of American Idol. This phenomenon has tried to create new pop artists through a sort of controlled/manipulative corporate mining process that is having mixed results.

Thisi decade also is the time of YouTube. Suppossedly, Taylor Swift was noticed from her YouTube fan base and then signed to a major record deal.
Others wil know the particulars better than me, but this has never happened
before.
There is now unprecedented access to large audiences via the web and viral music postings. IMO we are still too close to this to know what lasting effect it is going to have on our popular/underground/creative music generation.

Creative and talented musicians will still be sought and discovered. We will just have to wade through a lot more crap before we get to hear them.

Female bassplayer question/answer: Suzie Quatro ( a wild guess)

Thu May 13, 2010 10:52 am

JBo wrote:So I want to know if you've owned Celebrity owned guitars or sold any to Celebrities... post pics if you have em!

Do industry luminaries count?

Ken...