Lunch Report 10-31-16 Happy Halloween

Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:51 am

Howdy campers and a Happy Halloween to ya' all!

Lunch today - Candy of course, with maybe an apple.

G&L TOPIC
What G&L guitar are you on the edge of getting but just haven't or can't pull the trigger, and why not?

Two fall into this category for me.
1. ASAT Semi-hollow with F-Hole - only because other ASAT's have been on a higher priority, and I have always felt that I would bang and crack the wood at the opening. Although I am sure it is sturdy enough to handle any "abuse" I would dish out.
2. An SC-3 or Skyhawk - the main reason I haven't grabbed one of these is it is not an ASAT :roll:

ASAT Semi-hollow with F-Hole Dream guitar here!

Non-G&L TOPIC
So, it's the day sugar junkies dream of and I fall into this particular category, much to the chagrin of my dentist and waistline. :mad0025: I am and have always been a fan of Halloween. Since a kid to now everything from carving pumpkins, putting together a costume, trick or treating (as a kid and taking my kids around the neighborhood) to putting up decorations outside have been a fun thing for me. (mine and my sons pumpkins below - shameless promotion :evilgrin: , will post full display tomorrow) Not sure of this years costume, probably Dr Feelgood - scrubs, my kids Dr stethoscope, and fake needles. Kudos go to my oldest daughter and some friends who dress dress up for high school. Last year it a T Shirt with LIFE written on it and she walked around handing out Lemonhead candy - i.e. Life giving you lemons and making lemonade. This year it's a T Shirt with BLESSING written on it and she is wearing a mask (Lone Ranger style) i.e. A Blessing in disguise. Her teachers last year loved the idea, will see how this year goes.

How about you and Halloween, do you jump into the deep end or just tip your toes in and grab some candy when you can?

Music TOPIC
Gotta go with concerts today, since I have been to a couple of great ones in the past month.

Last Thursday in Chicago saw Marillion, "big fan" here. I have mentioned Steve Rothery and his playing before, he was as good as always. They played the Vic Theatre, small venue but cool vibe. Bass player Pete Trewavas had some fun and came out after a break wearing a Chicago Cubs play off T-shirt to much applause. Another great player John Wesley opened.

About three weeks ago saw Kansas with my daughter, the same Halloween fan. :thumbup: Another great show. Ronnie Platt, the new singer looks like an older version of Steve Walsh and even sounds exactly like him! They have a new album that sounds very good. (if ya like that kind of stuff) We sat on first row loge seating to get full view and the sound here was sweet. Ronnie Platt even made a visit to our section. Cool surprise. My daughter took a video of Dust in the Wind I will try to post as well.

Dream Theatre coming in December with my son! :thumbup:

Anyone been to or going to see a band soon?

You all have a "rocking" safe and happy Halloween! :elguitar054:

Re: Lunch Report 10-31-16 Happy Halloween

Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:20 am

I Have no idea what lunch will be today.....I have already eaten way too much candy.

What G&L guitar are you on the edge of getting but just haven't or can't pull the trigger, and why not?

I really want to get a Leo era SC-2. I am a big fan of the large MFD pickup's . I love the look of the old ones and think they have a great vibe. I would also like to pick up another 86 ASAT. A burst or a black one would be nice. Leo era G&L's are extremely rare in my neck of the woods and almost never come up for sale ( at least that I am aware of ) . I can be in Bellingham in about 45mins and Seattle in 2 and half hours but who knows if the dollar will ever be at par again , right now the exchange rate is at 33 % or so. My SC-2 re-issue is the only guitar I bought from the states, hard to believe that was almost 5 years ago . If only I had the presence of mind to take further advantage....

I am a fan of Halloween but it has been years since I dressed up. I procrastinate too much to have anything ready in time. I do like the atmosphere though and my wife and I have gone a few " Haunted " tours here and there and have great fun. The last one being in St Andrews, Scotland. Now that place really fits the bill as far as atmosphere goes. We usually get 100-150 kids to the door for trick or treats.

The last show I went too was Spoon and that was in 2011. Very sad and I have no excuses. I plan to make a real effort to go see some bands in the near future.
And thank you for the lunch report.

Paul

Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:50 am

OK, first try at this Lunch Report thing...

Lunch today: A Mexican Breakfast (A glass of water and a cigarette)

What G&L am I long for these days: There is an Interceptor for sale by a private seller that I would love to have but the asking price is way to high for me. This guitar has been on my bucket list for a while now and there are too few out there. I have never played one but the first style with the two MFD's is supposed to sound great and has quite a bit of versatility. Some day... Other than that, early Leo era guitars have always intrigued me. I like shiny things though so CAR or YELLOW are a big plus. I too would like an early SC-2, there are some roughed up F-100s out there that I might pick up so I won't be tempted to play my mint one as much. Right now seems to be a good time to pick up G&Ls. There are a lot of them out there for reasonable prices so let's see more NGD posts!!

Is that WR ASAT Z-3 built with the Comanche VI Studio circuitry? The six mini toggles. That's another one I would like to have, the Comanche with the six switches. It would keep me busy for years trying to figure out all the different sounds that can come out of it.

As far as Halloween: Used to be my favorite holiday especially when the kids were young. Always either had or went to outrageous parties when we were done with the kid part. I used to like theme parties like "come as your favorite dead celebrity." My brother went as Sharon Tate, complete with the pregnant belly and gratuitous body leg sticking out. We always had some really sick costumes. I lived in Orlando for many years among a strong theater community (our day jobs) and that always made for some good costumes and parties.
Now, kids are grown and gone, I live in the D.C. area and don't have that many friends like the type you have known for most of your life so things are very tame, if not lame. We live in a big house but it's not in a neighborhood like they have now where all the houses are really close. There is 100 yards or more between houses and a church across the street. In the six years we have been here we have not had a single trick-or-treater. This is the first year I have not bought candy "just in case" and I hope we don't get a bunch all of a sudden. I might have to give out boxes of cookies or pasta. One thing I loved to do was give out full sized candy bars. It was kind of mean but completely within the spirit of Trick-Or-Treat invariably a group of kids would come to the door with the older siblings accompanying their younger siblings. I would ask "Are you a big kid or a little kid?" Of course the older (10 year old perhaps) would say "I'm a big kid." the little ones couldn't say they were big kids in front of their older sibling. So then I would say "The little kids get the big candy and the big kids get the little candy." then I would pull out full sized Snickers, KitKats, what ever and the big kids would get the "fun sized" ones. I would laugh my ass off at the response. The big kids would say no fare, the little ones would be beaming with not only getting a big candy bar but also getting one over on their older brother. As they would be walking away I would say "Remember, you are all little kids" they never remembered the next year. Lots of fun, try it this year and report back

Wow, concerts, what are those. I grew up just outside of NYC and had access to so many venues from large arenas and outdoor stadiums to intimate jazz clubs and bars. Saw so many acts I can't even remember them all. Tickets were cheap and I had a friend who worked the local Ticketron machine so I usually had front row tickets. When I moved to Orlando I had many friends in the business from rock or jazz radio DJs to friends on tour with bands, plays, kids shows etc. so I went to a lot of shows. We had both an arena plus Hard Rock and House of Blues and some good clubs. I worked for Disney as an audio engineer so I got to mix a lot of bands when they had events. I would constantly come home and find killer tickets taped to my front door for great rock and jazz shows.

Well, that brings to now and unfortunately I don't get out much. There is surprising little in the way of real music performed by real musicians anywhere but especially in the D.C. area. Plus, the traffic is so horrendous that I don't like to go anywhere if I don't have to. Prices for the real bands out there are outrageous too. Roger Waters came around a few years back and I think nose bleed seats were $150.00 it's sad really. So I have not seen much but what comes on the boob tube.

I saw Dream Theater back in Orlando a few times and they are awesome. What are their tickets going for these days. I saw them back when they were new, first two albums when they were fresh out of Berkley. F'n geniuses.

Long post, sorry but all good topics that are dear to my heart, thanks Sam.

Tom

Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:14 pm

Happy Halloween Sam and all!

Lunch today was leftover hamburger stroganoff, a chocolate chip cookie, and coffee.

I really want a SC-2. Preference would be a ’83 in Fullerton Red or Viking Blue and hardtail. There is a great looking second body style out there in dark blue and DFV and Fullerton Red with Saddle-Lock. I really want the “Mustang” body style. I also want to be able to try out. I close second would be a new SC-2. I’d probably go with Candy Apple Red finish, matching headstock, ebony fingerboard, and Saddle-Lock bridge. Main thing stopping me? I feel like I can’t justify the expense to my family. :confused0007:

Not a big Halloween guy. Usually just hang out at the neighbors, with a fire pit in the driveway, sipping some beers and handing out candy. Typically we don’t get many trick-or-treaters on my section of the neighborhood. The street is kind of busy. Probably stay in and watch the Bears lose. :thumbdown:

My wife and I along with a couple friends will be attending the Rusted Root show this week at Durdy Nellies. Will also be seeing The Fray November 11th at the Chicago Theater.

Cheers, Dan

Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:32 pm

Thanks for replies guys.

Paul - Nothing like candy all over the place today. Since the SC-2 is a cousin of the ASAT I'm surprised I haven't been swayed to those as well. My only haunted tour was in New Orleans. Pretty spooky, but not sure if it was ghosts or Pat O'Briens. :lol: Not sure that equals Scotland though. Never saw Spoon but do like their sound. :thumbup: Ya gotta find some live shows...

Tom - Now that is "Breakfast of Champions"!! ;) If we could find an Interceptor in bright YELLOW I would be tempted to break a piggy bank for sure. You are correct on the Z-3 built with the Comanche VI Studio circuitry. Our own Mac Whiteside, guitar guru to the stars and Will Ray's builder deeelux built this for him. That is the coolest guitar ever. Halloween is still fun for me. We had our kids later on so, since they are young they keep me young too. LOVE the big kid. little kid approach, may have my wife try that tonight while I am walking with my youngest and her friends (and parents). We get a steady stream through our neighborhood. Sounds like you had the best seats in the house, NYC especially. I did see Peter Gabriel at MSG in 2003 (I think), killer show! Saw Roger Waters in 1999 and don't remember how much, but sure it was no more about $60. Dream Theater tix were about $85 including all service fees. Genius for sure. Even with Mike Portnoy gone I think they still sound great. I travel a bit so I try to catch show on the road, i.e. Marillion BTW - thanks for the long post, great information.

Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:37 pm

Hey Dan,

You posted while I was posting! :o

An SC-2 again, man you guys are just teasing me. I feel the pain on expenses, that is preventing me now too. Man the Bears are just having a bad year, maybe they will make a turn next year. Send a report on the Rusted Root and the Fray shows, those should be fun. :happy0065:

Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:32 pm

Sam,thanks for the LR :happy0065:
I just saw a guy dressed up as Santa, I think that was a first for me.

I never listened to enough Marillion to catch the bug...but I do notice he has GT Trio preamps and what looks like Dual 75 power amps at the bottom of his racks. That has to be some juicy tone !!

For the eve...I'll just crank up the echoplex and make scary sounds for the neighborhood.

I had a dream this one was hollow, with a lightly arched top. (I must have been channeling WR's SH super duper six.)

This invader is on reverb now...pretty much the same set-up as the interceptor-

I'd like a sickle head Skyhawk like this (on reverb now)

..and an 87-91 Ash ASAT has to come my way someday-

My last concert was Anoushka Shankar (Ravi's daughter).It was cool, but not as polished as her Europe Tour videos I'd seen.

BOO !! :o

Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:57 pm

It's too late for a long reply. I handed out candy tonight, and easily had a couple of hundred kids come by. I started the evening with about $120 worth of candy, and have two small bags left.

I'm not sure what to say in terms of G&Ls I'm close to buying. I did a lot of trading over the past six months, clearing out some non-keepers and bringing in a couple of G&Ls that had been on my wish-list for a long time. There's one that I keep coming close to buying, but it's about $200 more than I'm willing to pay and the seller won't negotiate. I've also been holding back in case a Leo-era ASAT with a 1 3/4" nut shows up on the market. Of course, if anything Leo-era and fretless shows up I'll probably lose all restraint.

The only shows I've seen in the past five years were Devo and Howard Jones/OMD/Barenaked Ladies. Both shows were excellent. They were at small venues in Baltimore. I took both of my sons to Devo for less than $100, and the whole family to Barenaked Ladies for less than $150. One show I'd like to see, but haven't bought tickets for yet, is Peter Hook touring this fall performing some early New Order material.

Ken

Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:11 pm

Hi Sam,

Thanks for putting this together!

G&L's I just cannot put the trigger on?
Overtime some pre-BBE Rampage, Invader, or Superhawk comes along. They are undoubtedly wonderful guitars but ... On the other hand, I did finally fall for the Interceptors and got a couple of those so there might be hope for the other super-Strats.

All Hallow's Eve?
I wasn't born here and hence Halloween has never been a thing for me. Strangely enough the Netherlands has a similar thing on the Day of Fools (11/11) where kids go around the neighborhood all dressed up with a lantern and all singing songs at your door and receiving candy in return. When I was a kid I didn't care about that festivity either. Most likely because being the oldest, I always had to share "my" candy with my younger sisters. And why would you ever want to do anything for them? ;-)

Live acts?
I still se so many live acts over the course of a year. Last 10: McCoy Tyner w/Gary Bartz, Silk Road Ensemble (w/Mark Morris Dance Group), Sigur Rós, Tears for Fears, Bonnie Raitt, Pat Metheny w/Linda Oh, Gwylym Simcock, and Antonio Sanchez, Ray Lamontagne, Dave Matthews Band, Wilco, and Robert Cray/Mavis Staple/James Hunter Six/Shemekia Copeland. And that only gets you back to the beginning of August.

- Jos

Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:33 pm

No trick-or-treaters tonight... Guess either the street is too busy or neighborhood is too old...

But the Bears pull out a win and surprise me!

Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:48 pm

good idea, sam! 1 hour left of Halloween. wasn't a fun one today. didn't even get to lunch.
some Gnarly Head pinot noir is easing the pain, though.
no left over reeses pbc's - bummer!

recent concerts: umphrey's mcgee did a 3 night stand at the new Fillmore in Philly last wkd. my son went to all 3 nights.
i caught saturday night's show with our keyboard player (who is blind, and gifted musician). great venue, amazing show.

went to pennsylvania blues festival for 3 days in pocono mountains in september. attended a "master class" with Ronnie Earl. cool to just be in his vicinity. Saw a guy there who brought an 80's black skyhawk, pretty sweet guitar. Best blues discovery for me this year was Zac Harmon, from Mississippi.

recent G&L's: enjoying my '83 SC-2 for past few weeks. plenty of mojo in that axe as well as great tones. it's such a comfortable player, body and neck. great DFV, too. my fav. I've seen a couple of nice early SC-3's out there lately - you should pull the trigger!

surprise: made a bid on a vintage gem sunday morning on the bay, figured, nah he'll never accept that, too low. HE DID! should arrive friday. will report on that later.

Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:15 pm

My wife reported 185 " little @#$#%#' ' s ". Lots of firework action in the neighborhood as I type. Used to love that stuff.

Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:35 pm

drjho7 wrote:surprise: made a bid on a vintage gem sunday morning on the bay, figured, nah he'll never accept that, too low. HE DID! should arrive friday. will report on that later.

Ooh!! Looking forward to the unveiling!

Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:06 am

Yesterday lunch was bread, cheese, chicken... nothing exciting...

G&L topic... well i want an S-500 or a '80s SC-2... but i already have 3 guitars and to be honest it's one too much... when i have 3 guitars, there is always one who stays on the corner for a while... i have to find a kinda "rotation" system ! ^^

Non G&L... halloween is not in our culture (old continental europe ^^) even if big companies, big stores try to sell it to us like a big commercial thing which kinda piss me off... kids forget our own culture and folklore for foreign brought here only for money... halloween is surely a nice day in US or ireland, but here it's just lame...

Music stuff... not planning any gig soon... i was a true concert addict for years in the 90's and early 00's... but since maybe 7 or 8 years i became a bit tired of all that... not that bands or music are boring or uninspiring or bad today, but i'm kinda saturated, the magic or the romance are not there anymore...

Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:26 am

You're a busy guy Sam, great you can get to so many concerts.

The one G&Ls I want is a Fullerton red ASAT classic Alnico, OLS body etc.... I'd have one but the exchange rate pushes the price far, far beyond what I want to pay. An SC-1 is still on the dream list too.

Last gig I went to was Robert Ellis in a little cafe that doesn't usually have live music. lighting was terrible but the music incredible and I left feeling inspired. I love that feeling.

Halloween is getting bigger here, but we still had no kids visit.

Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:43 am

Sounds like a mixed bag for Halloween.

Jamie - I looked up the Invader but that one is a little high on the price side for me. Santa huh? That is funny.
Ken - sounds like a busy night and you could give out all the candy. We had a decent crowd but too much candy left to tempt me. :think:
Jos - you can still fall prey to the USA call for candy on Halloween even if you're not from here. OR you could go door to door with a lantern, a G&L guitar and a pignose amp and bring some Netherlands culture to yer neighborhood! ;)
Witsok - go Bears!
Dr J - Umphreys McGee was playing with Phish recently, wish I had seen that show. Glad to hear you caught a great show. Looking for your NGD post!
meursault - I do try to make it to some shows, but I do see how the concert magic has gone away. No more camping out for tickets and prices prevent most shows anyway.
blarg - the Alnico ASAT has been a temptation for me as well, the SC-1 is truly one of those we hope to find.

Thanks again for all replies!

Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:29 am

We had few in our neighborhood last night. It was sprinkling so that dampened the spirits. Candy goes on sale today so everyone can stock up.

I did peruse a few G&Ls recently but I am shocked by the prices. Has there been a significant price increase at G&L? I have been out of touch. My last G&L purchase was two and a half years ago. I do think a 6 switch WR would be cool. We could use some better dealers. Stock is very limited now days.

I have not been to a concert in some time but I watch many on YouTube. I do love live concerts but find the crowds can be rowdy at times. Thanks for the LR Sam! -- Darwin

Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:05 pm

not many trick or treaters here , but the wife still buy's me plenty of candy

I'm at the point on G&L's that I know what I want ( or become ) ..... I came in as a strat guy ....... now I'm a offset and ASAT guy , really more offset guy with my Fallout , LE2 and SC2 are my favorites ( LE2 made it's debut gig two weekends ago , the band loved it , our bass player stood behind me on one song as I wondered what he was doing , after the show he told me " yah , your blue guitar (LE2) sounded so good I stood by your speaker the whole song " ...lol .... it does sound good through the Dual Recto and matching 4x12 )

the ASAT's are my next favorite and hardly pick up the strats anymore except for my Cavalier ...... weight is/has become more import than it's ever been ...... I could see getting another Fallout , but Ill probably thin out some S type guitars before I do and maybe unload some of my heavier ASAT's and down size a bit towards lighter guitars

other than some local bands haven't been to any concerts lately

thanks for the lunch report

Eric

Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:46 am

Hey Sam
Great questions mate
I've been really surprised at how Halloween has become a big deal in Australian in the last 5 years . When I was young in the 1970' we didn't even know it existed . But my Canadian wife would tell you Australia is still stuck in the 1950's
I'm really wanting an early ASAT , preferably with the original finish worn out , neck smooth from the players hand wearing the finish out too
I would also like a white Rampage , yep just like Gerry Cantrell . My stupid ITunes library disappeared so I've had to start from scratch rebuilding my ITunes and really getting into 1960's Jazz and 1990's Rock

The last gig I saw was Ryan Adams and new band in Sydney last month for a one off Australian show only performing new songs and some old ones too
Incredible new band and songs , the musicians were excited with adrenaline. We were front row and also excited
They performed in a one hundred year old venue based on English theatres of the day . 2000 people capacity
One of those nights it's great to be alive
Thanks
Anthony