Lunch Report, Wednesday May 5, 2010

Wed May 05, 2010 7:53 am

Good Wednesday to all!

To answer one of yesterdays questions, my experience would be that the ASATs are the most popular G&Ls. For one, they make more ASAT models than any other. And when I see a G&L being used it's almost invariably an ASAT. And I tend to think there are more ASAT-related threads on this forum. But that's just me...

Lunch today...there's a locally owned bagel shop just across the parking lot that makes a pretty good Reuben and I've not had one in a while, so I think that will be lunch today. I like it on his marble rye bagel...and I'm debating the potato salad, macaroni salad or chips for the side...

Today’s questions: How much music do you listen to?
Do you enjoy listening to any styles that you don’t play?
Is there a style you don’t play that you’d like to?

I have music on almost all the time…certainly whenever I’m in the car, and I take my iPod to work with me. I don’t listen at home as much as I’d like, as I’m always competing with the TV or kids it seems. I like variety of styles and own a fair amount of music. But music is a love of mine, and a big part of the reason I play guitar.

I have a close friend who is also a guitarist, has been much longer than I. But what I find very interesting is that he really doesn’t own that much music, and rarely listens to what he has or even to the radio. We played in a band together years ago, and right now he does solo acoustic gigs. He listens to songs to learn them for gigs, but apart from that rarely has music on. I don’t think that was always the case, as he knows a lot of music and recognizes stuff I have playing. Anyway, that’s always seemed strange to me, does that seem strange to anyone else?

To answer a couple of my own questions, I’d love to be able to play some jazz styles, especially Wes Montgomery style stuff. I’ve been working on learning a couple of Eric Johnson’s Wes Montgomery-styled tunes, but am anything but proficient!!

G&L Content: Did you buy your G&L(s) new or used?

Re: Lunch Report, Wednesday May 5, 2010

Wed May 05, 2010 8:25 am

Today’s questions: How much music do you listen to?

I listen to a fair amount. I usually have my I-pod at work with me
Some of my listening is to learn parts for the church band.

Sure...I enjoy great Bluegrass or acoustic music like Nickel Creek or Mark O'Conner.
I also can appreciate some of the great country players like Brad Paisley, Keith Urban and Vince Gill.
I can't play any of the above worth a hoot.

Not sure it's a style but I'd love to play 'movie music', that is to say instrumental sound track kind of stuff.
Mark Knopfler has done some amazing soundtrack work.
Also, in spite of my handle, I'd like to really learn to play jazz rather than just "play at it". I am coming to the realization that
I have a serious deficiency in the discipline department.

And...oh yeah...I bought my Legacy used (E-bay) No dealers around here for hundreds of miles
Last edited by jazzrat on Wed May 05, 2010 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 05, 2010 8:33 am

I listen to music any chance I get-definitely daily. I consider it an important part of my development as a guitar player, even if there is no prominent guitar work in the music. I play mostly indie, punk rock type stuff-lots of riffs and quick, rock licks. I don't listen to anything remotely punk rock these days. Mostly on my car radio is the local jazz and classical radio stations-both listener supported and commercial free. I have a six CD changer in my car but get tired of whats in there rather quickly-I spend a lot of time in my car for work. I just hooked up my girlfriends record player and have been scooping up used records the last few weekends-Steely Dan, Chet Atkins, George Harrison, the Waterboys...old stuff that I can pick up for 2-3 dollars a record. While I think there is great new music out there, I am looking to the past these days for stuff I haven't heard and/or fully absorbed. I have a Iphone and Ipod but don't buy music online. I may even stop buying CDs at this point, most new stuff is available on vinyl now and comes with a code to download the album as well.

I can't play anything that would be considered jazz. Never really tried to but I would to be able to play some Montgomery stuff as well.

the story of your friend sounds slightly familiar. I've read interviews with musicians who talk about never listening to music. I suppose it helps keep any outside musical influences less obvious but I think they are missing out.

My first G&L, Legacy, was bought new. Everything since then I've obtained used. I will custom order something some day but in the meantime, I am only willing to buy used.

Wed May 05, 2010 1:40 pm

Muleya wrote:Good Wednesday to all!

To answer one of yesterdays questions, my experience would be that the ASATs are the most popular G&Ls. For one, they make more ASAT models than any other. And when I see a G&L being used it's almost invariably an ASAT. And I tend to think there are more ASAT-related threads on this forum. But that's just me...

Since I missed yesterday's LR, I'll give my response here: Off the top of my head, I'd say that the ASAT Classic is the most popular. With it being perhaps a lesser departure from the conventional F Telecaster than a Special, it might be a more likely brand switch for someone looking for a better Tele. I wouldn't think that the BB is the top seller, although it may be working towards that.

In checking present Ebay auctions, it would appear that the Legacy could be at least the most often offered for sale. This may be an indication that it's also the top seller, as the number offered is almost double that of its closest contender, the ASAT Classic. FWIW.

Muleya wrote:Today’s questions: How much music do you listen to?

I don't listen to as much music as I should, but more than I used to. Since I started playing guitar, 6 years ago now (Temper Fugit), I have listened to a lot more music. However, it is mostly just listening to more of what I used to listen to, stylistically anyway. That said, and Spot'll like this, I do occasionally enjoy listening to a cassette (true) called "A Fistful of Alice"(Cooper), that's like a greatest hits compilation. It's good rock and roll.

Muleya wrote:G&L Content: Did you buy your G&L(s) new or used?

My newest G&L was made in 1999 (ASAT Classic SH). I've been playing for 6 years. This being the case, I've bought them all second hand. That Classic is in nearly perfect condition, and comes equipped with a maple fretboard and "F" enestrated body. I'd play it more but the neck is just a bit chunkier than my earlier models, which makes it slightly less comfortable for me to play. :|

Wed May 05, 2010 2:30 pm

I listen to everything, I don't play jazz. I am learning chicken picking to fill that void, I am learning to shred better to make that void less painful to others :P

Wed May 05, 2010 4:30 pm

I studied music in college and I will be the first to admit that I am in a rut and should know better. After being exposed to most types, I still have my favorites that I listen to and a lot of times when I try to listen to something that doesn't fire me up I will move on after 15 seconds. Now, at my age I don't have an agenda as such but I have always been a person who listens to the instrumentation and the words are generally overlooked. So if the instruments are great, and the voice is great, that pretty much does it for me. You may have already decided that a poet, I am not. I will also not be in the Rap hall of fame. So, every day is a great day, another day, and I try to do what I enjoy the most. :BadIdea:

I have only purchased one new G&L. The other nine are pristine and why buy new when the used can be found as new for much less money. This also impresses the Pres, Ginny. :luv:

I have always thought the Legacys were the most popular as is the Strat in the Fender line. I went to the Registry and did a search on Legacy. There are 1837 Legacys registered. I found 875 Asat Classics so I added the Asat Specials which are another 479. Now, there are many other types of Legacys and Asats, but that is my story and I'm stickin to it. So set me straight if I need it. :fighting0030: : Keep truckin' Muleya and turn up the heat! :happy0065: -- Darwin

Wed May 05, 2010 4:42 pm

Alright, it looks like I'm being proven wrong on the most popular G&L...but no problems, I'm okay with that!

And Darwin, my philosophy is that life is too short to listen to music you don't like...if you have a choice, that is. That's what I tell my wife when I'm channel surfing on the radio in the car. So I'm with you there.

MrRoundel, I still have most of my tapes from my younger days, and occasionally I'll get one out. Fortunately both cars still have tape players...that's about the only place I have to play them anymore!! Unfortunately, so of them don't play that well anymore, but most are still okay.

Wed May 05, 2010 6:18 pm

I'm with you in thinking that the ASATs outnumber the other G&Ls bought and sold. Gotta add the Bluesboys, the Classic Customs, etc.

As far as listening goes, I'm a news junkie. When I'm alone in my car, it's almost always news. When I have the kids though, I don't want them hearing about terrorists, deficits, wars, rapes and the like, so I put on some satellite radio that my wife was kind enough to subscribe me to for Xmas or my birthday or something. Here's were I have my rut. I tend to like and expose the kids to classic rock and to '90s grunge stuff. I suppose that's because deep down that's what moves me.

As far as playing goes, I play almost exclusively original songs and poorly at that. God help us one and all. - ed

Wed May 05, 2010 6:36 pm

I drive about 45,000 miles per year and I have the radio on constantly. Usually talk radio in the morning (or till I can't stand it any longer) and music in the afternoon. I usually listen to songs we're working on, or I scan the Sirius dial looking for new potential tunes. As for styles I don't play, I'd really like to work on fingerstyle, but I just can't find the time to move forward with it.

Muleya wrote:I have a close friend who is also a guitarist, has been much longer than I. But what I find very interesting is that he really doesn’t own that much music, and rarely listens to what he has or even to the radio.

I buy about one or two cd's per year, if that. The guys in the band constantly suggest tunes that I've never heard before.

I've bought a lot of both, but my ACCSH came to me used through a trade.

Wed May 05, 2010 8:56 pm

Good Wednesday to you as well!

Today’s questions:

I listen to a lot of music in many different styles. I also have this mind-set that I want to be able to play all the styles I listen to. The reality is that I have wasted a good many years wanting to be a good guitar player without putting in the time to become one. I am mostly putting my sights on Blues and Jazz, but with a little funk and reggae thrown in to the mix. However, it does not seem to be coming along just yet.

G&L Content: Did you buy your G&L(s) new or used?

Just became the proud parent of a new ASAT SH BB. This is my first G&L guitar.

-recluse

Wed May 05, 2010 9:09 pm

Muleya wrote:Good Wednesday to all!

Happy Cinqo de Mayo to you too!!

Not as much as in olden days. And now my iPod is busted :cry:

Muleya wrote:Do you enjoy listening to any styles that you don’t play?

I still have to get used to classical and what I call "modern inner city blues" also know as hip-hop. But otherwise I listen to about everything.

Muleya wrote:Is there a style you don’t play that you’d like to?

Wish I was better at playing jazz...

A handful I bought new, but most of them second-hand. Haven't seen an out-and-out clunker yet :thumbup: