Lunch Report, Tuesday May 4, 2010

Tue May 04, 2010 8:00 am

Alright, Tuesday...lots of songs written about Tuesday. I wonder why...any ideas?

Lunch today will be country-fried steak with sawmill gravy and corn, and probably an apple with peanut butter to wrap things up. Nothing fancy, but it'll get the job done!

Today's questions:

Are there any amp builders/DIY folks here? If so, what have you built?
Or do you own an amp that is unique, rare, vintage, etc?
If you could own one vintage amp you don't have, what would it be?

I have a single-ended amplifier that someone built for me a few years ago. It was originally built with a plexi-style preamp, with the builder tweaking some components to his specs. It never quite sounded as much like a plexi as I wanted, so over the years I tweaked the preamp a bit here and there, always getting a little closer. Then last fall I got this wild hair to try to get the thing to sound like a Fender Blackface.

I really didn’t know what I was doing, but did a lot of research and reading and got a lot of help from a DIY amp forum. I am very pleased with how things turned out…I think it captures that black face vibe (and a guitarist friend of mine agrees) and it’s a surprisingly clean amp, though will start breaking up when cranked. It will take 6L6, EL34, 6V6 or 6550/KT88 tubes…since I want the amp as clean as possible, I need all the output I can get, so I’m using a 6550. It’s a great platform for pedals, which is mostly how I use it. It's actually encouraged me to play clean more often...which my wife probably appreciates in contrast to my 80's hard rock leanings!

I built a 1x12 combo cab for it and put a Weber 12F150 speaker in it…here are a few pics.
ImageImageImageImage

And here's a clip of the amp playing clean with my Legacy: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=381358&songID=8701163

G&L Content: Which G&L make do you think is the most popular...ASAT Classic, ASAT Special, ASAT-Z3, ASAT Deluxe, Legacy, Commanche, Invader, Rampage, S500, SC-2?

Re: Lunch Report, Tuesday May 4, 2010

Tue May 04, 2010 9:15 am

I replaced the input jack on a SS Carvin amp last week but that's about as adventurous as I get.
I remember discussion about those amps at the other forum we frequent. I'm not a tone expert but your mods sound good to me.

Most popular..... gotta be the the Legacy doen't it? Next in line the ASAT Classic. Just based on the models I see for sale used the most often.

Tue May 04, 2010 10:21 am

I've been known to build a speaker cab or two. Here's my latest build. This is one of a matched pair, very loosely based on Epifani's UL112.

A gentleman from Ohio was kind enough to give me a pair of these in 4 ohms. They were physically fine but in need of a re-cone. So I did.

Details here.

Links to images of the build process.

Unfinished, unloaded.

Braces.

Unfinished, loaded.

Finished, woofer out.

Finished, loaded.

Finished, grilled.

Finished, stacked.

350 watts nominal, 700 watts continuous. 1-way crossover to an Eminence APT-80 tweeter. About 35 pounds. The paint is Duratex, a product made for speaker cabs. Grill is perforated aluminum sheet.

Got 'em out of the house at a band practice last weekend and played them at performance level. I think I hit the mark on them. Great tone, huge bottom with no fade-off on the B string. Ken likes.

Ken...

Tue May 04, 2010 1:22 pm

If I could own a vintage amp it would be another black-face Super Reverb.

Not an amp repair guy at I am about to replace all the caps in my ’74 Musicman.

Wed May 05, 2010 4:40 am

Hey Muleya - belated welcome to the G&LDP ....

Muleya wrote:Alright, Tuesday...lots of songs written about Tuesday. I wonder why...any ideas?
As the Easybeats once sang .....

"Monday morning feels so bad
Everybody seems to nag me
Coming Tuesday I feel better
Even my old man looks good"

Muleya wrote:Or do you own an amp that is unique, rare, vintage, etc?
Marshall 100w Super Lead from 1970/71 that I (well ok my dad) bought used in about 1974. Magic classic hard rockin' tones :^)

Muleya wrote:G&L Content: Which G&L make do you think is the most popular
. I believe I read somewhere that the Bluesboy has become the biggest seller.

cheers, Robbie

Ps Apologies to anyone not using the Acidtech Green colour scheme but if you click and drag over the text you should be able to read it easier
PPS Hey Spot I love the industrial look of that guitar .... didn't it used to have some sort of sticker or badge on it though ?.... 302???